PDA

View Full Version : Relocation What's it like living in the Las Chafiras area of Tenerife?

Jaccie
05-10-2012, 19:58
Hi folks, we are considering moving to Tenerife to live, we have looked at various areas over the last few years but
can anyone tell me what its like in the Las Chafiras Area. We have seen a couple of properties but are not sure what
the area is like. Any comments would be most appreciated.:)

CIM
05-10-2012, 22:43
It depends where you live as its quite a big place.
the best area is North of the motorway where you have the newer, better quality complexes in the Llano del Camello area. La Concepcion, Biltmore, El Faro, La Quinta de Abona etc.
We have quite a few forum members who live in these complexes, I´m sure they´ll be along soon!
I have written a couple of descriptions of these areas for some property sales there:
La Quinta de Abona (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/3-bedroom-townhouse-for-sale-quinta-de-abona/)
Llano del Camello (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/3-bed-townhouse-for-sale-llano-del-camello-las-chafiras/)

My personal view on the area is that it needs a couple more bars and restaurants, there are already a few but a few more would be great. There is an ongoing issue with some land that was supposed to be developed into a park. That would be a nice improvement if it comes to fruition.
If you have a car then its a pretty decent place for accessibility, close by you have the airport, Golf del Sur, Los Abrigos, El Medano, Las Galletas etc.
Los Cristianos is 10 minutes down the motorway, everywhere is easy to get to, local traffic on the Las Chafiras roundabout can be a bit hectic in the mornings though and during late afternoon. Loads of shops in the are, At least 3 big supermarkets.

If you can buy or rent something and get a good deal its a pretty decent area with plenty. Prices for sales and rental s have a fallen a lot though so shop around for a bargain before committing to anything.

There's a Las Chafiras owners thread here on the forum as well which is well worth a read through:
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?114-Las-Chafiras-apartment-owners-thread

timmylish
06-10-2012, 03:05
Whilst I would agree to a large extent the comments made by CIM I would disagree on the mater of shops. yes there are S/Markety type of shops and Cash & Carry type of shops the area does lack personal shops. Little individual shops, shoes, clothes, beautician, kiddies etc. However in San Isidro, where we live, there is an abundance of that type of shopping so its all nearby (3 mins. drive).

seanocelt
06-10-2012, 12:04
Do Las Chafiras dwellers find they need heaters in winter? I know many in San Isidro do, but they are at higher altitude.

timmylish
07-10-2012, 00:00
Sean. There,s not much in it.
ie. Llano at Chafiras is just over 150 mtrs. and wher I am in San Isidro is 207 mtrs. There is however a stronger breeze here than Las Chafiras in the Winter months which drops the temp. a couple of notches!

slodgedad
07-10-2012, 00:18
It does get cooler than town in the winter but is usually a lot warmer than town in the summer, unfortunately

Dan Cramer
25-05-2014, 16:55
Hi all,

Apart from buying an apartment what other expenses are incurred owning a small 1 bed apt. on a complex. obviously utility bills, but what about service charges and the like, what would I expect to pay?

Also can these costs be offset by renting the apartment out for part of the year

Jabba43
01-06-2014, 08:47
Las Chafiras is more of a shopping place for me. If you like living on what is basically an industrial estate then fine. The north side as CIM mentioned has the best properties. IMO there are better places to live.

Bren111
30-04-2016, 20:01
Hello All
I have read with interest the 8 reviews on this Las Chafiras thread from 2012 to 2014
I may soon be living there and am very keen to communicate with anybody who has experience or ,better still ,is currently living there.

delderek
01-05-2016, 16:18
Many people have holidays in the Southern resorts and fall in love with the climate, but just investigate a little further, and you will discover, that away from the coastal strip, the climate can be very much different. Las Charfiras can be a few degrees colder than, for instance Los Cristianos. Not a problem in the summer months, but in the Winter months, not quite what you expected.

Bren111
01-05-2016, 16:36
Thanks delderek

Yes I have heard this. I had an apartment in L A for some years and in Winter we took trips inland and ,of course ,it was a little colder.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I would be keen to communicate with a community of forum members who live there for some general advice .
Do you know does one exist?

junglejim
01-05-2016, 20:27
Hi all,

Apart from buying an apartment what other expenses are incurred owning a small 1 bed apt. on a complex. obviously utility bills, but what about service charges and the like, what would I expect to pay?

Also can these costs be offset by renting the apartment out for part of the year
You should put your post as a new thread as it will be lost in here.
You will have community charges that vary with complex ,fromas little as €90- €600 per quarter ,Local IBI tax to counci €300per yr more or less ,taxes on rental or non-rental etc.
Find Ms.******** website as well - Janet is her first name .

You need to read the IllegalRenting thread as well - buy a big bag of Popcorn !

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?23-The-Tenerife-illegal-lettings-thread