PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to use my 'Blue Badge' for car parking in Tenerife?

suede apple
06-10-2012, 20:27
Hi All :hello:

We are coming to Tenerife next week and intend to hire a car. as we have never been to the north of the island.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal to use my "Blue Badge" also are the streets wheelchair friendly.

Thanx in advance

Barb :)

Harmonicaman
06-10-2012, 21:25
Have a look in here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/DG_4001061). Scroll down to "Using Blue Badge abroad." Then click on the PDF link.

lapalma
06-10-2012, 23:40
I have a Blue Badge which helps me to park in most places in Scotland,I would doubt if the Blue Badge Scheme would go as far as Tenerife.In answer to your question 'are the streets wheelchair friendly',of course they are.Some streets have a steep hill others are on the flat.Iam quite sure that you will have very little problems in Tenerife.You did state that you are going north,I hope you have a good time,all the best.

Megaloo
07-10-2012, 02:38
You will be able to use your blue badge in Tenerife.

We live here and my Husband's badge was issued here, but I have a friend who comes out and brings his with him from England and uses it no problem. Although parking spaces are few and far between and you must also be careful not to park in one that has somebodies car registration written on it as that is for their personal use.

doingok
07-10-2012, 06:18
yes you can use your blue badge here i use mine all the time as it has the eu flag on it.

dipper
09-10-2012, 16:09
The blue badge is recognised throughout Europe and is perfectly legal in Tenerife where there are many disabled bays

Norm de Plume
18-07-2013, 15:25
As I understand it, we can only use these badges in designated spaces on the road or in car parks. We cannot use them on yellow lines, for example. Does anyone know differently?

Megaloo
18-07-2013, 15:32
The rules do seem to be different here, I personally would not take a chance and park on a yellow line here with the badge. Friend of mine got towed away in Puerto de la Cruz so I have never chanced it.

casabonny
18-07-2013, 16:38
Yes UK blue badges are acceptable here but do not park on a yellow or solid white line as you will get towed away.
The other day when parking in Carrefour with a friend with a UK blue badge we were chased by a security guard who proceeded to tell me it was not legal in Spain.I told him it was and that my friend had already on several previous occasions asked police if it was okay and they confirmed yes, so he went away with a flea in his ear! This was in Spanish though so I assume as we were talking English he thought he could frighten us away.......no chance.

garlicbread
18-07-2013, 19:07
yes you can use your blue badge here i use mine all the time as it has the eu flag on it.

The blue badge is recognised throughout Europe and is perfectly legal in Tenerife where there are many disabled bays

As I understand it, we can only use these badges in designated spaces on the road or in car parks. We cannot use them on yellow lines, for example. Does anyone know differently?

Yes UK blue badges are acceptable here but do not park on a yellow or solid white line as you will get towed away.

Spot on folks i.e. UK "blue badge" perfectly legal in Tenerife, but park only in designated areas,do not park on yellow lines(these, zebra crossings and strictly no parking areas are reserved for Canarians ;);) also some designated parking spots for disabled are reserved for a particular vehicle and will be marked bwith a sign on the pavement to this effect showing the vehicle's licence plate number.