PDA

View Full Version : Employment If you live in Tenerife what job do you have?

tinker
07-10-2012, 14:48
again for my research,
:idea:

if you live on the island what job do you have, how long have you had it, and what other jobs have you tried while living over there?

also is it totally different to what you did in the UK?

and how do the wages compare?

Thankyou (again):wave:

Harmonicaman
07-10-2012, 14:54
Oooh! It's the Canarian tax-man...http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/embarrassed-smileys/embarrassed-smiley13.gif (http://www.4smileys.com)

LeFrunk
07-10-2012, 16:33
Painter & Decorator , at least i could get my outside work all done with all the good weather , im still trying to get last summers 2011 bookings done but every other day it rains , i would make a decent living over there but its long hours .

Vortex Wake
07-10-2012, 17:31
When I used to work on the London Underground , I was in charge on the team that did the night shift removing discarded belly button fluff from between the electrified rails - regrettably that position is not currently available in Tenerife , but I have my name down first on the list when it does.

LUCKY
07-10-2012, 18:09
again for my research,
:idea:

if you live on the island what job do you have, how long have you had it, and what other jobs have you tried while living over there?

also is it totally different to what you did in the UK?

and how do the wages compare?

Thankyou (again):wave:

Just like to add what would be your'e dream job in Tenerife ? :flatcap::feret:

chifleta
07-10-2012, 18:37
dream job? bwahahahaha too funny Lucky ...... i've never thought to myself "ohhh dream job" ... i work to live, not visa versa.

I've worked in an Estate Agency for approx. 12 yrs, actually two Agencies, but I tend to try to forget the first one I worked in LOL, and I worked in a dress shop for a couple of years too.

Wages fair to middling, very good wage when things were good on the Reef... hours good because I was good at my man-management (i'm organised), but stressful in the Estate Agents due to wonderful tenants and even more wonderful owners :whistle:

Yes, quite different to what I did in the UK (except I was always some sort of admin/secretary type personage) - wage comparison NIL, but lifestyle for me personally definately better here, once you get on your feet, "if" you get on your feet.

slodgedad
07-10-2012, 19:11
I think a more intriguing question would be 'Who is doing the same kind of work they originally did in Tenerife?'

tinker
07-10-2012, 20:55
Thanks for the replies it's interesting to know if people are doing the same line of work or have taken , erm how do I put this "lower" jobs in return for
Island life. I know I would if it meant a
New way if living. (To a certain extent anyway)

slodgedad
07-10-2012, 21:12
Thanks for the replies it's interesting to know if people are doing the same line of work or have taken , erm how do I put this "lower" jobs in return for

An unfortunate phrase.

Work is work.

Of all the people I have met here in the past 18 years I could probably count on 2 hands the amount of people who have furthered a career here.

The same goes for immigrants to the UK.

Qualifications in a foreign country may be worthless and job opportunities in your chosen profession are usually non existant.

tinker
07-10-2012, 22:15
That's why I'm wanting to look into what people do , do?

kathml
07-10-2012, 22:17
Plenty immigrants to UK have made successful careers there i could name a dozen or more within a mile of here If you're prepared to work theres still plenty opportunities in UK

LUCKY
07-10-2012, 22:26
An unfortunate phrase.

Work is work.

Of all the people I have met here in the past 18 years I could probably count on 2 hands the amount of people who have furthered a career here.

The same goes for immigrants to the UK.

Qualifications in a foreign country may be worthless and job opportunities in your chosen profession are usually non existant.

Surely that depends on what was your'e chosen proffesion was .Is that not like selling ice to eskimos, coal in Newcastle. sand in the dessert.Sofas in DSF , salt in siberia.:flatcap:

tinker
08-10-2012, 08:21
Plenty immigrants to UK have made successful careers there i could name a dozen or more within a mile of here If you're prepared to work theres still plenty opportunities in UK

I have a fab job in the uk but hate the uk haha. I work to live not the other way round and if you ask me the uk weather is changing for the worse and my job evolves around the weather it makes my life miserable lol

Vortex Wake
08-10-2012, 09:57
Interesting piece on BBC Breakfast this morning on the large increase in Spanish immigrants coming to the UK looking for work - sunshine obviously isn't everything when it comes to paying the bills.

Malteser Monkey
08-10-2012, 10:05
Just like to add what would be your'e dream job in Tenerife ? :flatcap::feret:

Wine and cheese tasting:whistle:

TF1
08-10-2012, 10:30
Quality control in Dorada factory?:eyebrows:

TenerifeTeddy
08-10-2012, 10:51

I was running my own IT Support company in the UK, and I came over with the idea of doing the same thing. I still am, but have diversified with all the other services we offer in our shop.

We moved over in 2005 and I was charging more per hour in the UK than I can here. We dont earn nearly as much money as we did in the UK, but as has been said elsewhere, we work to live now and not live to work.

KirstyJay
08-10-2012, 12:17
Interesting piece on BBC Breakfast this morning on the large increase in Spanish immigrants coming to the UK looking for work - sunshine obviously isn't everything when it comes to paying the bills.Yes, I was discussing this with one of my adult students last week. Apparently they're putting a clamp down on immigrants from Spain. They must have jobs before they arrive.

Many in the nursing profession have been going, as there's a shortage of nurses in the UK apparently.

Fivepence
08-10-2012, 12:24
Having been a 'paid slave' all my life, I am now employed without pay by my wife.
I am not complaining though because today I have a small amount of painting to do and then I put my chef's hat on and make the evening meal.
:wink:

chifleta
08-10-2012, 14:10
I have a fab job in the uk but hate the uk haha. I work to live not the other way round and if you ask me the uk weather is changing for the worse and my job evolves around the weather it makes my life miserable lol

even over here we work to live LOL ... just on a negative (very rare for me, but have to face reality) it's flippin hard work working in this heat at times, so it's not all woopy doody, and it's very rare to have the luxury of working in an air conditioned environment.

Ok, that's my negative.. the positive is, if you treat this as a change of life and are lucky enough to find a half decent job, work hard, enjoy your days off to the max, don't go boozing it up like you're still a teenager, make sure you have enough money to back you up for a couple of months in case you lose your job, so you can still pay rent, then hopefully, you'll have a wonderful time here whilst your here, or an even better time when, like me, you decide that this is your "home" .. because if there is one thing I hate, people still calling "Britain" home, so basically you're not making the commitment to make this your home...

I'm feeling negative today LOL don't ask why, i'll not answer you hahaha, so i'm stopping whilst the going is good :-D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Wine and cheese tasting:whistle:

Overseeing the smooth running of my villa with pool and private chef :lol:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Having been a 'paid slave' all my life, I am now employed without pay by my wife.
I am not complaining though because today I have a small amount of painting to do and then I put my chef's hat on and make the evening meal.
:wink:

Sounds a bit like my "job" at the moment.... I'm housewifey extraordinaire :) I run my life round my OH and son, healthy meals at whatever time they come home, depending on college and work shifts, spotless apartment (not obsessively so I may add LOL) - they only have to help around the home if I have a migraine or if I give myself a day off :whistle: ... everyone thought i'd be bored, but i'm loving it, chief cook and bottle washer and no-one telling me how to do it :-D

Medanoman
08-10-2012, 15:25
Yes, I was discussing this with one of my adult students last week. Apparently they're putting a clamp down on immigrants from Spain. They must have jobs before they arrive.

Many in the nursing profession have been going, as there's a shortage of nurses in the UK apparently.

I would not have thought it possible to control Spanish immigrants into the UK. The single market means anyone in europe can go any where they like. I didn't think there is much the UK could do about it. Unless some new discriminatory law has been brought in the uk. It won't last long before being overturned by Brussels.

Maybe its all the E303-1 transfers that are worrying them. The E303 is the form you fill out to transfer your dole to another member state of the EU. Of course if you run out of dole here there isn't any social security to speak of , whereas in the uk you would get housing benefit and social security. You would have to fight for it but if you had at least 6 months dole when you moved over, you would also get into the national heath system too.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/spanish-immigration-to-the-uk-up-85-what-this-means-for-payments-abroad-129804603.html

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+WQ+E-2010-5833+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

KirstyJay
08-10-2012, 19:43
I would not have thought it possible to control Spanish immigrants into the UK. The single market means anyone in europe can go any where they like. I didn't think there is much the UK could do about it. Unless some new discriminatory law has been brought in the uk.Not really, as they're doing the same thing here now... you can't get a residencia unless you have a contract or the means to support yourself first. You can still move anywhere you like, but you can't rely on the other country's social system to support you if you do.

The thing about the UK is there are much fewer 'black' positions available and most Spanish going there are actually skilled professionals doing jobs that there's a shortage of UK skilled people to do

Medanoman
08-10-2012, 19:58
Yes i would have thought the Spanish going over would not be going over to chance it, indeed the link i posted shows that of the 83% rise in Spanish numbers the numbers of them unemployed is small. Unfortunately the Spanish job sites are full of posts in Germany and South America mainly. Big brain drain going on..

KirstyJay
08-10-2012, 20:42
Big brain drain going on..Exactly! Not good for the Spanish Government...

Muppet
08-10-2012, 21:37
Yes, I was discussing this with one of my adult students last week. Apparently they're putting a clamp down on immigrants from Spain. They must have jobs before they arrive.

The Canaries have been granted special permission to positively discriminate in favour of their own kind in employment. Unless the UK have applied for and been granted similar status, which would have made the top story in the news at the time, I don't believe this to be the case, nor likely to happen (as things currently stand) in the near future, unless the UK actually opts to leave the EU.

Do you have a source?

KirstyJay
08-10-2012, 23:38
Do you have a source?Not unless my student has one, hence my use of the word 'apparently'. It was a conversation we had in class, so I didn't exactly ask her for her sources. ;) It was just an interesting topic that came up at the time. I can ask her on Wednesday if she has any sources if you like? :)

Muppet
09-10-2012, 01:20
Not unless my student has one, hence my use of the word 'apparently'. It was a conversation we had in class, so I didn't exactly ask her for her sources. ;) It was just an interesting topic that came up at the time. I can ask her on Wednesday if she has any sources if you like? :)

Let's put it this way. It would be a decison of such monumental importance, not just for the UK, but for the driving forces behind the principle of the EU and the powerful countries within - France and Germany for example, who would have needed to approve any such request by the UK to introduce discrimination of this sort.

So yes, if there has been a decision of this importance made behind everyone's backs then it is rather important that we are told.

More likely it is a load of old tosh and such rumours are better off put to bed before they get a chance to bed in.

Angusjim
09-10-2012, 10:10
Let's put it this way. It would be a decison of such monumental importance, not just for the UK, but for the driving forces behind the principle of the EU and the powerful countries within - France and Germany for example, who would have needed to approve any such request by the UK to introduce discrimination of this sort.

So yes, if there has been a decision of this importance made behind everyone's backs then it is rather important that we are told.

More likely it is a load of old tosh and such rumours are better off put to bed before they get a chance to bed in.

I don't see the French bothering about EU laws they seem to do what they want. Its time UK government did something EG protect its construction industry against Irish companies coming here and carrying out construction works at stupidly low prices puting local construction workers out of jobs. I don't think you will see Irish companies in France doing construction work the French would never allow it to happen. The procurement system in the UK for local authority / government / university contracts etc is the main problem its a complete joke.:angry:

Sorry off topic rant:sorry:

KirstyJay
09-10-2012, 11:57
The Canaries have been granted special permission to positively discriminate in favour of their own kind in employment. Off topic... but if you have any links to sources about this I'd be grateful, as it'd make an interesting discussion for class this week. Especially if you have any in English, as that's what she needs to practise. :)

Muppet
09-10-2012, 12:42
Off topic... but if you have any links to sources about this I'd be grateful, as it'd make an interesting discussion for class this week. Especially if you have any in English, as that's what she needs to practise. :)

There were others at the time - http://www.newsinthesun.com for example

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/37000/daily-news-article.html

Vortex Wake
09-10-2012, 13:49
Off topic... but if you have any links to sources about this I'd be grateful, as it'd make an interesting discussion for class this week. Especially if you have any in English, as that's what she needs to practise. :)

Janets wrote about it one her page.

http://www.*************.com/page/11

Oh dear, we still have that silly issue with linking to Janet ********'s page - people need to chill .

'The EU has ruled that the Canarian Government may give priority to Canarian resident workers without it being considered discriminatory. The minister for Economía, Hacienda y Seguridad, Javier González Ortiz, has said the decision is “very positive” and that the high rate of unemployment in the islands is not just a consequence of the loss of jobs, but of the large number of foreign workers seeking employment here.

Sr González Ortiz added that the weakness of the local job market and the high impact of the economic crisis here were aspects of the case that the EU took on board when deciding that the Canarian Government’s priority of local workers did not breach EU treatises. This consideration has also been incorporated into the recent EU report on the new strategy for ultraperipheral regions for 2014-2020.'

Copyright Janet ********.com