PDA

View Full Version : Do you need an interpreter for doctor in Los Cristianos if you don't speak Spanish?

caroletenerife
08-10-2012, 17:39
have been advised by the hospital to go to doctor across the road from the bus station in Los Cristianos to get bandage changed on my foot. Does anyone know if I would need an interpreter, or do they speak English, thanks

Medanoman
08-10-2012, 18:19
That sounds like local NHS clinic. While it is probably obvious what your foot requires ,All Canarian State clinics have posters up inside saying that they do not speak other languages and patients should bring translators with them. I have never had to run up against pushing them on their English ability because i speak Spanish. But if you feel uneasy I can drive over and translate if you need me to. PM me if you can't find anyone closer, ( I am in El Medano ) i assume you have an outpatients appointment?

caroletenerife
08-10-2012, 22:19
That sounds like local NHS clinic. While it is probably obvious what your foot requires ,All Canarian State clinics have posters up inside saying that they do not speak other languages and patients should bring translators with them. I have never had to run up against pushing them on their English ability because i speak Spanish. But if you feel uneasy I can drive over and translate if you need me to. PM me if you can't find anyone closer, ( I am in El Medano ) i assume you have an outpatients appointment?
thanks so much for your offer of help, but i have a neighbour to take me. I dont have an appointment, the hospital just said to o in 5 days, so i will call them first. Thank you again xxx

angiebabes
08-10-2012, 23:13

What a kind person you are. I felt touched when I read your offer. Well done!

slodgedad
09-10-2012, 00:58
Unless you are visiting a doctor that you know it is always a good idea to take someone who speaks Spanish with you.

Medanoman
09-10-2012, 10:41
I am unfortunately very idle due to circumstances, so anything to keep me sane! lol

Harmonicaman
09-10-2012, 12:01
Tizzywizzy had to go to the clinic once for an insect bite on her leg and neither of us spoke any Spanish. However there is a sign on the wall saying you have to have a translator. We just pointed at the bite and they treated it for her. The doctor/nurse knew a few words of English.

roylee19
03-06-2014, 13:35
Usually doctors understand English in Los Cristianos and they will understand whatever you will say to them. Even then if you think it would be difficult for you to communicate then you can hire interpretation services to fill the gap and relax.

Medanoman
03-06-2014, 13:57
if your spanish in England on the other hand

Medical appointments and advice

If you need a translator for a hospital visit or a doctor’s appointment, you should inform the medical centre well in advance of your appointment so they can arrange this service.

NHS Direct also has a telephone interpreter service on 0845 4647. You should say which language you would like to use when the call is answered. In the event of an emergency dial 999 and the operator will access an interpreter as soon as possible.

has anyone tried to use the telephone service in the uk while here? After all the UK are paying for your visit to the Dr under your E303 medical card...:D

http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/guide/communication/pages/bilingual.aspx

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

should be quite easy to do using skype credit on your mobile phone for example to call the 0845 number

It would be strange to have them refuse..since they are providing a free service to foreigners ,how could they refuse to give same service to a British person on holiday?

lights fuse and runs away...lol

seanocelt
03-06-2014, 14:47
would be an amazing breakthrough

Medanoman
03-06-2014, 15:13
There must be a flaw in my logic but i cannot see it...The only downside is that all the translators working with tourists and swallows would be out of a job