PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of satellite broadband in Tenerife?

karinagal
09-10-2012, 21:12
I received the following from a company allied Fortec? The prices seem extremely high and I cannot see any possible advantage to this - am I missing something? I've copied the bulk of the email below - not sure how it will appear..

Dear Sir/Madam,

Quantis satellite broadband services are available with up to 8Mbps anywhere in Spain including the Balearic Islands, Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza, Formentera etc.. and the Canary Islands, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura etc.. and Ceuta and Melilla. Satellite Internet is a state of the art technology for accessing the broadband Internet in locations, regions and countries where terrestrial telecommunications infrastructures are limited or null, as rural and remote areas.

Please find below our prices and services:

Product
Speed
download/upload
Volume
Price/
month
Services
DUO 1Mb
1Mb / 256Kb
unlimited
39.90€
1Mb Internet, telephone line, unlimited free calls to Spanish landlines (1)
DUO 2Mb
2Mb / 256Kb
unlimited
59.90€
2Mb Internet, telephone line, unlimited free calls to Spanish landlines (1)
DUO 4Mb
4Mb/ 256Kb
unlimited
89.90€
4Mb Internet, telephone line, unlimited free calls to Spanish landlines (1)
DUO 8Mb
8Mb/512Kb
unlimited
119.90€
4Mb Internet, telephone line, unlimited free calls to Spanish landlines (1)
DUO 8+ Mb
8Mb/1024Kb
unlimited
159.90€
8Mb+ Internet, telephone line, unlimited free calls to Spanish landlines (1)

Basic Internet 1Mb
1Mb / 256kb
2GB
25.00€
1Mb Internet + 2 GB data usage (volume)
no telephone line included

Max 8Mb - 2 GB
8Mb/512Kb
2GB
29.90€
8Mb Internet with 2GB data usage + telephone line (calls not included) (1) (2)
Max 8Mb - 5GB
8Mb/512Kb
5GB
44.90€
8Mb Internet with 5GB data usage + telephone line (calls not included) (1) (2)
Max 8Mb - 11GB
8Mb/512Kb
11GB
74.90€
8Mb Internet with 11GB data usage + telephone line (calls not included) (1) (2)
Max 8Mb- 18 GB
8Mb/512Kb
18GB
99.90€
8Mb Internet with 18GB data usage + telephone line (calls not included) (1) (2)
(1) Wifi Router VOIP needed for telephone services, not included in the monthly fee (see prices in table of additional services/equipment)
(2) Special Offer: Additional 15GB for the first 6 months for only 1€ extra per month
Activation fee
39 €
Equipment
Free (1)
Installation
Free (2)
(1) The equipment has a value of 499€ and has to be returned at the end of the contract
(2) All equipment and installation is free based on an 18 month contract
Additional services/equipment
Router Wifi VoIP
Buy it for: 79€
Rent it for: 7€/month
Wifi VOIP Router necessary for telephone services
Router Wifi
Buy it for: 69€
Surge protector
Buy it for: 19€
Maintenance
8,90€/month
covers cost of travel and technicians time for up to 3 call outs per year
Fixed IP address
9€/month
Unlimited free calls to Spanish landlines
9€/month
free for all Duo services
400 free minutes to International landlines
(EU, USA, Canada)
9€/month
Additional 1 GB
7€/GB
Additional phone line
9€/month
IVA-IGIC (VAT) not included

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me by email or phone.

Fortec Communications
Authorised Dealers for BT, Arrakis, and Iberbanda
Tel: 902 020 777(952880295)
Fax: 902 020 666(952880172)

karinagal
09-10-2012, 21:17
It's a bit messed up format wise but the cost of 8mb broadband with no download limit is €159 per month - I might be missing the point entirely, but I get 8mb for €42 per month although I have no idea what (if any) download limit applied to that....

The undisputed queen of de-nial

kiwiphil
09-10-2012, 22:01
Satellite broadband has alot of limitations. Some applications won't work and others will work poorly. This is because it take a long time for the signal to get into space and then back down to the base station, around half a second generally. This is 5-10 times longer than the delay for normal broadband. So don't get it unless you have no other option.

Mobile broadband will generally be better and cheaper provided you get a reasonable mobile signal. If it is a bit marginal there are extension aerials available that can really help as well.

So if you are in an area that can't get broadband over your phone line AND you can't get a good speed via a mobile dongle then go for the Satellite, but start with the cheapest option and see how you get on with it.

karinagal
09-10-2012, 22:12
Thanks for that - fortunately, I'm happy enough with the service I get so it's not something I would be interested in. I was stunned to see the prices - I guess I'm not the target demographic for this offer!! :D

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Muppet
10-10-2012, 09:34
As above, it is really designed for people and places where there is no access whatsoever to telephone circuits where a service like this would probably be the only real option for any communications, since where there are few phone lines, mobile coverage can also often be an issue as well.

The lag would really only be an issue for serious gamers, but it is very much a horses for courses offer. If you do not have and can not get a fixed telephone line, and your mobile coverage is not reliable enough for the dongles, then it is a final resort situation - reflected of course in the price structure.

There are a good few areas on the mainland where this would be a boon I would imagine. I recall a old friend of mine had a place about half an hour inland in Granada where their only option was a satellite phone with internet access. He hated it¬!

Vortex Wake
10-10-2012, 10:27
A few years ago, a company call 'World space' used 3 satellites to broadcast direct to areas such as Europe, America and Africa - as well as voice/music broadcasts, they also provide direct data/internet connectivity to users in very remote areas of the world.

Alas, World Space was effectively wound-up after poor take-up from paying subscribers and all of *US* who purchased 'World Space' radio soon found they were no more than expensive door stops :(

My radio is still in the loft . As a true radio geek, my World Space radio did once venture to Tenerife in 2000. I stayed at El Cardon apartments and found the only way to pick up the satellite was to place the small dish outside the front door (which promptly slammed SHUT meaning I had enter by the back open patio door via the neighbours garden wall :D ) . Maybe it was the only World Space radio ever to have visited Tenerife ?

TV outside broadcast companies use satellite broadband to allow there customers hi speed internet at remote venues.

Muppet
10-10-2012, 10:35
A few years ago, a company call 'World space' used 3 satellites to broadcast direct to areas such as Europe, America and Africa - as well as voice/music broadcasts, they also provide direct data/internet connectivity to users in very remote areas of the world.

Alas, World Space was effectively wound-up after poor take-up from paying subscribers and all of *US* who purchased 'World Space' radio soon found they were no more than expensive door stops :(

My radio is still in the loft . As a true radio geek, my World Space radio did once venture to Tenerife in 2000. I stayed at El Cardon apartments and found the only way to pick up the satellite was to place the small dish outside the front door (which promptly slammed SHUT meaning I had enter by the back open patio door via the neighbours garden wall :D ) . Maybe it was the only World Space radio ever to have visited Tenerife ?

TV outside broadcast companies use satellite broadband to allow there customers hi speed internet at remote venues.

Hoods - Up !!

nathanjohn
27-07-2018, 09:13
Well, the prices are perfectly fine that people can easily afford according to their budget and needs.

andy123
27-07-2018, 14:49
The original post is over 6 years old,so a bit pointless on doing any sort of reply now!!!

Meols on Wheels
15-10-2018, 11:22
The original post is over 6 years old,so a bit pointless on doing any sort of reply now!!!

i'm new to the forum :hello:- but have recently bought a holiday home nr El Medano , in a residential complex. I am keen on getting broadband installed but as I'm in the UK most of the year ( although the apartment will be used quite a bit by friends and family) I'm looking for a good deal (!) . Although this thread is 7 years old now - it would be really useful if any posters could give me a brief update on options. Cheers Meols.:hello:

Ecky Thump
15-10-2018, 15:01
i'm new to the forum :hello:- but have recently bought a holiday home nr El Medano , in a residential complex. I am keen on getting broadband installed but as I'm in the UK most of the year ( although the apartment will be used quite a bit by friends and family) I'm looking for a good deal (!) . Although this thread is 7 years old now - it would be really useful if any posters could give me a brief update on options. Cheers Meols.:hello:

This is a post that maybe junglejim or essexeddie could advise on.:wave:

junglejim
15-10-2018, 20:07
You'd need to check with your Administrator/President what's available to your complex , whether they have Fibre from Movistar fitted and accessible or another supplier such as Premier or if your complex has it's own WIFI (usually slow ).
If Movistar supply is available you can get Interet invarious forms & speeds costing from €40 odd upwards with or without phone line .

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/tienda/comparador-tarifas-internet/?pid=PA-home-ql1b

Meols on Wheels
15-10-2018, 22:18
Thanks both . Jim - will take your advice , really helpful. Cheers Ade ��

atchuy
23-10-2018, 08:48
What is it for?