PDA

View Full Version : What camera would those into photography recommend in Tenerife South?

Jackie
18-06-2011, 11:40
I love taking photos of pretty much anything, views, people, flowers etc for my own personal enjoyment. I am by no means any good at it but would like to try and improve. Obviously the first port of call is a half decent camera. What camera would those in the know recommend for a novice. Something that is easy to use because I can't be doing technical stuff :lol:

I don't want to break the bank if at all possible but I also don't want a throw away one:lol: Also reliable places to buy one in Tenerife, South preferably.

Mods please leave this in 'Tenerife Chat' because that is where I live so it would be pointless getting recommendations to go to shops in the UK, thanks.

canarybird
18-06-2011, 12:28
Jackie there now are so many good little consumer digital cameras that you have to think more about the features you would like to have.

If you are not interested in having manual controls, but are okay to go with automatic scene settings, then you will find cameras that are not expensive.

Here are some brands and models to check out:

Canon Powershot

Panasonic Lumix

Nikon Coolpix

Fuji Finepix

Sony Cyber-shot

Each one has it's stronger points according to what you want the camera to do for you. Are you interested in High Definition video recording as well as still digital shots? Most new models have that now.

And will you be wanting to take long zoomed shots of scenery or people? That's a plus I think and I use it all the time, so I'd recommend a camera that has more than a 4x optical zoom.
Look for one with at least a 10x or 12x optical zoom.

And don't get confused with digital zoom. It's the optical zoom that counts.

Most small consumer digital pocket cameras don't have a viewfinder but instead have LCD screens on the back which every year seem to come out in better quality, clearer and easier to see in sunlight.

I don't know any shops in the south but I'd say you should look for one which is part of a local or national chain of photo shops if that's possible.

Here in Puerto de la Cruz I buy from FOTOPRIX (http://www.fotoprix.com/en/index.php?resource=FTPX030010) - a national Spanish company.

My current little pocket walk around camera that stays in my handbag every day is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 which is great as it also has manual controls which I use, as well as HD video.

Hope that's of some help Jackie.

Be sure to go to a trusted shop though and I imagine some people reading this will come in with tried and true advice on which shops are reliable and which ones to avoid.

Canarybird

CMEdinburgh
18-06-2011, 12:30
If ever there was an impossible question to answer!!

I have seen excellent images taken on an iPhone 4 (check out Flickr and you will see that it is one of the most popular cameras out there).

I have seen dire shots taken on quality Canon EOS and Nikon gear.

Look at Fuji FinePix, Canon SureShot and similar ranges.

Check out dpreview - http://www.dpreview.com/ - and see what you like the look of.

But the only way to decide what you like is to check FOR YOURSELF, read a bit, try one in a shop then buy.

Nobody else has your fingers to use one, your pockets to carry it in, or your tastes of what to photograph. So nobody else can do more than state their choices.

Me? iPhone 4 and Canon EOS 40D with 28-85 zoom.

Vortex Wake
18-06-2011, 12:32
Jackie, I will leave the experts ;) to talk about dSLR cameras.

If you want a decent compact superzoom camera (25 to 36x zoom) then look at cameras like;

Canon SX30is
Nikon P500
Fuji HS10 or HS20
Olympus SP800
Sony DSC-HX100V

Or the Panasonic range.

Remember, the higher the mega-pixel does not always mean better overall pictures.

All modern superzooms allow some form of HD video shooting (like a camcorder)

Example of the Canon SX30is optical zoom :)

WITHOUT a tripod I might add.

Jackie
18-06-2011, 12:58
Thanks for the replies. CME not really asking what I should buy as I know I will need to go and look at them etc. I just wanted some ideas of what Cameras a novice should use as I haven't really got a clue about cameras. Thanks Sharon, I like the sound of your camera and you take some fantastic photos with it. I think you are right about the zoom. At the moment I am using a Sony cybershot and the zoom is not that fantastic on it so I will check that one out. Thanks for your input Vortex, I will check those out as well. At least now I have something to start with and once I have read up on them will have a bit more knowledge as to what I am actually looking for so won't look like a dumb broad when I go in the shop ;)

AL JAY
18-06-2011, 12:59
Take a look at this site Jackie, some fantastic bargains just to give you an idea of price, Its Jessops UK but if your fella is due over tell him you want one as a prezzie.

http://www.jessops.com/?tduid=3e39395b782c8cd7c5b3990581c0a6c0&url=http://www.jessops.com

Jackie
18-06-2011, 13:06
Take a look at this site Jackie, some fantastic bargains just to give you an idea of price, Its Jessops UK but if your fella is due over tell him you want one as a prezzie.

http://www.jessops.com/?tduid=3e39395b782c8cd7c5b3990581c0a6c0&url=http://www.jessops.com

Thanks Al, hubby is buying it for my birthday next month...just need to tell him:lol::lol:

CMEdinburgh
18-06-2011, 13:09
ONE LAST PIECE OF ADVICE - and I have introduced many people to photography over the years.

Although you do not YET want complicated controls, it is amazing how quickly you can find that you want to take photos of flying birds (which needs fast timing) or an evening sunset (which needs a long exposure). NO automatic setting really works for these.

Whatever camera you buy, make sure it does have some manual controls for when you "grow into them".

garlicbread
18-06-2011, 13:25
What an excellent example of the usefulness of our Forum.

A great initial post with great, informative responses, and not hijacked by any stupid idiots. Ooops , perhaps I shouldn't have said that.

Suej
18-06-2011, 15:02
Jackie there now are so many good little consumer digital cameras that you have to think more about the features you would like to have.

If you are not interested in having manual controls, but are okay to go with automatic scene settings, then you will find cameras that are not expensive.

Here are some brands and models to check out:

Canon Powershot

Panasonic Lumix

Nikon Coolpix

Fuji Finepix

Sony Cyber-shot

Each one has it's stronger points according to what you want the camera to do for you. Are you interested in High Definition video recording as well as still digital shots? Most new models have that now.

And will you be wanting to take long zoomed shots of scenery or people? That's a plus I think and I use it all the time, so I'd recommend a camera that has more than a 4x optical zoom.
Look for one with at least a 10x or 12x optical zoom.

And don't get confused with digital zoom. It's the optical zoom that counts.

Most small consumer digital pocket cameras don't have a viewfinder but instead have LCD screens on the back which every year seem to come out in better quality, clearer and easier to see in sunlight.

I don't know any shops in the south but I'd say you should look for one which is part of a local or national chain of photo shops if that's possible.

Here in Puerto de la Cruz I buy from FOTOPRIX (http://www.fotoprix.com/en/index.php?resource=FTPX030010) - a national Spanish company.

My current little pocket walk around camera that stays in my handbag every day is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 which is great as it also has manual controls which I use, as well as HD video.

Hope that's of some help Jackie.

Be sure to go to a trusted shop though and I imagine some people reading this will come in with tried and true advice on which shops are reliable and which ones to avoid.

Canarybird

Iīve read this thread with interest as I also would like to take better pics than I can achieve on my mobile phone (my only camera LOL), I would, like Jackie like something small and easy to use....Anyway my question is how little could you get away with spending on any of the cameras you have listed Canarybird? please?

Added after 4 minutes:

Thanks for the replies. CME not really asking what I should buy as I know I will need to go and look at them etc. I just wanted some ideas of what Cameras a novice should use as I haven't really got a clue about cameras. Thanks Sharon, I like the sound of your camera and you take some fantastic photos with it. I think you are right about the zoom. At the moment I am using a Sony cybershot and the zoom is not that fantastic on it so I will check that one out. Thanks for your input Vortex, I will check those out as well. At least now I have something to start with and once I have read up on them will have a bit more knowledge as to what I am actually looking for so won't look like a dumb broad when I go in the shop ;)

If you can get up North Jackie, Mediamarkt (behind Carrefour) have a massive selection! unfortunately as soon as I started to look through the ranges I got so confused I just gave up. price would be a major factor for me too ;)

Jackie
18-06-2011, 15:17
I like the look of Canarybird's camera and she gets some fantastic photos on it, even better if it has the good zoom. The one I am using is a similar size but the zoom is rubbish. I don't want anything too technical, just something I can carry about with me in my bag so I have always got it with me

scoregolfbob
18-06-2011, 18:48
Hi Jackie, Not sure if you use ebay, but we got a great bargain on there, had it sent to the UK and picked it up when we were there, best of luck, we were more interested in battery life than anything else as we only use for happy snaps.
Bob

beerfan
30-11-2011, 23:47
Hi Jackie, Not sure if you use ebay, but we got a great bargain on there, had it sent to the UK and picked it up when we were there, best of luck, we were more interested in battery life than anything else as we only use for happy snaps.

Battery life shouldn't be an issue if you don't use it much. Just charge it up as soon as the battery gets low (and use proprietary batteries - I find that they're better) and you're golden.

Added after 3 minutes:

I like the look of Canarybird's camera and she gets some fantastic photos on it, even better if it has the good zoom. The one I am using is a similar size but the zoom is rubbish. I don't want anything too technical, just something I can carry about with me in my bag so I have always got it with me

You might want to try the Panasonic TZ series then. Don't be dazzled by megapixels though - generally, the more there are the worse the overall quality. Do you need low-light pictures? Are you willing to spend a little time to get to know your camera better? You'll get better photos if you do. I use a Panasonic LX3 for my low-light shooting but almost never for daytime as the zoom range is tiny (2.5X).

Generally I'd avoid buying from local brick and mortar stores - they'll be more expensive, often don't have the latest models but will have a local warranty that applies to Spain. If you can speak Spanish think about ordering from a Spanish online website. If you can't perhaps consider ordering from a UK firm? Many companies ship worldwide but try to avoid the obviously dodgy websites without good reputations - the old advice about something being too good to be true applies - and go from there.

If you need more information try DPReview.com and browse the forums there - there are a lot of helpful people on that site.

Ecky Thump
01-12-2011, 00:31

I have bought a Nikon Coolpix s8000, it has a 10x zoom, simple to use, small with outstanding results, the only real criticism I would say is the sound quality on the movie mode is not 100%. I think its the slimmest camera in its class.
If you shop around you may find one at a bargain price.

beerfan
01-12-2011, 00:40
I have bought a Nikon Coolpix s8000, it has a 10x zoom, simple to use, small with outstanding results, the only real criticism I would say is the sound quality on the movie mode is not 100%. I think its the slimmest camera in its class.

I use the Canon FZ38. It's discontinued now but the FZ150 is meant to be even better. It's a superzoom though so is larger than a pocket camera and isn't pocketable. Has an 18x zoom range. Not much good for low-light though. Apparently the FZ150 is even better (especially for low-light) and has a 24x zoom range. The sound quality on both the FZ38 and the FZ150 is very good indeed, though if you need long movies do not buy an EU version of any current camera as all such cameras are restricted to producing 30 minute video clips, another manifestation of the EU sinking its teeth into places it does not belong.

Suej
01-12-2011, 14:52

I am really pleased with the little Fuji finepix it has 14 MPix and 5x optical zoom, not expensive about 95€ look at this pic taken on 2x zoom! and was one of the point and shoot cameras that Canarybird recommended 1913

beerfan
01-12-2011, 16:20
I am really pleased with the little Fuji finepix it has 14 MPix and 5x optical zoom, not expensive about 95€ look at this pic taken on 2x zoom! and was one of the point and shoot cameras that Canarybird recommended 1913

I've had FinePix cameras before - the F31fd, the F40fd and the F200EXR. All were excellent cameras. Pity you stripped your EXIF data before uploading as I could have found out the exact make and model along with shooting info.

14MP is too much though and simply isn't necessary or desirable (no good having a 14MP camera using a tiny sensor and bad in-camera processing - the photos will look horrible, often a fault of cheap, no-name cameras) - I wouldn't suggest any more than 12MP at the most for a pocket camera, and try aiming for 10MP if you can. Also look at DPReview to check out the size of the sensor - generally larger sensors equal better picture quality.

Suej
01-12-2011, 16:32
I've had FinePix cameras before - the F31fd, the F40fd and the F200EXR. All were excellent cameras. Pity you stripped your EXIF data before uploading as I could have found out the exact make and model along with shooting info.

14MP is too much though and simply isn't necessary or desirable (no good having a 14MP camera using a tiny sensor and bad in-camera processing - the photos will look horrible, often a fault of cheap, no-name cameras) - I wouldn't suggest any more than 12MP at the most for a pocket camera, and try aiming for 10MP if you can. Also look at DPReview to check out the size of the sensor - generally larger sensors equal better picture quality.

Ooooh! thatīs all a bit technical for me beerfan! This is the first camera I have owned for about 15 years! and I find it does take lovely pics...I got very confused when I was trying to decide which one to buy in Media Markt there were just so many but as Iīm a novice I didnīt want to go over 100€ tight sod that I am!:laugh:

Angusjim
01-12-2011, 18:28
I have always found Tesco's disposable camers to be Ok but they are a bit technical to operate til you get used to them:spin:

Ecky Thump
01-12-2011, 19:54
I have always found Tesco's disposable camers to be Ok but they are a bit technical to operate til you get used to them:spin:

Jim, you just stick to your Kodak Box Brownie.:old:

warbey
01-12-2011, 20:52
Canarybird did a good job recommending the Cameras suitable for casual use.
and I think Jackie's Birthday has been and gone..???

I dont claim familiarality with Digital Cameras but offer a few words of advice.
If You like taking Photos, do as suggested earlier and accept Manual override Controls
which You can experiment with. and it
Doesnt cost a penny..to experiment.

I recommend a Camera using aa Batteries as they are cheap and available anywhere.
Rechargeable can then be used too.

I would be reluctant to buy more than 12 x Zoom.
that is Optical Zoom, digital to be left alone most times as it degrades the image.
Two other very important Features is what size Lens does it have, I/E wideangle or not
and how much Light the Lens will accept.?

When You sort that, does it have interchangeable Lenses and are other items available.
Finally, although Handheld is acceptable, a Tripod Bush for a Tripod makes a good Picture even better
if You chose to acquire one..