PDA

View Full Version : Broken shower, where do I stand?

julia44
18-06-2011, 13:57
In the kitchen (luckily) I heard a loud crash 1 part of the shower had exploded and showered the bathroom in broken glass, the shop I bought it from are saying I have to pay for a new piece as these things happen when the panel is fitted too tight or had an accident neither of which have happen. My friend came today and took the door off so I could get at the rest of the bits of glass that were trapped, he unscrewed the door picked it up and that totally shattered in his hands cutting him badly.
The shop is now saying to go in on Monday and make a complaint but I will not get anywhere.
Anyone know where I stand?

reggie
18-06-2011, 14:31
I would have thought it should be safety glass, IE laminated or even plastic, sounds dangerous to me,

Jackie
18-06-2011, 14:37
Thank God you wasn't in the bathroom when it happened. It was obviously Safety glass by the way it has broken into smaller pieces rather than shards of glass, but as with anything like this no one really knows how 'safe' it is until it breaks.

Sorry Pepper I can't advise where you stand with this but I would still persue it through the shop where you bought it however long it takes.

atlantico
18-06-2011, 14:54
its a common thing - happened to me.

I lifted the door to fit it into place, and it shattered in my hands !

I read that even the slightest thing can set it off and the shop will use every excuse to refuse refund etc. Unless they fitted it, then maybe there's a chance, but it's so easy for them to say that you must have struck it with something, which you can't prove otherwise.

Safety glass is designed to shatter upon impact to protect the person, but it can shatter ever so easily. It can expand in the heat whilst in position, (its hot lately) and the fixing bolts try to stop it, so it shatters.

I replaced my glass door with laminated glass, which cracks but stays in place, and is tougher , from British and Canarian Aluminium in Las Chafiras, at a cost of €120

julia44
18-06-2011, 14:57
Going to Hidraulica on Monday. I surprised they are being so flipant, perhaps they say that so people will buy a new piece and go away, however I am not going to go away as it could have caused me a serious injury, more than that Tiggertwo the cat often sleeps in there.

Added after 6 minutes:

its a common thing - happened to me.

I lifted the door to fit it into place, and it shattered in my hands !

I read that even the slightest thing can set it off and the shop will use every excuse to refuse refund etc. Unless they fitted it, then maybe there's a chance, but it's so easy for them to say that you must have struck it with something, which you can't prove otherwise.

Safety glass is designed to shatter upon impact to protect the person, but it can shatter ever so easily. It can expand in the heat whilst in position, (its hot lately) and the fixing bolts try to stop it, so it shatters.

I replaced my glass door with laminated glass, which cracks but stays in place, and is tougher , from British and Canarian Aluminium in Las Chafiras, at a cost of €120

That is very interesting that it is common because that was the excuse the shop used to blame me for knocking/banging it was it is a extreemlel rare for this to happen

atlantico
18-06-2011, 17:38
and I suppose the other things to bear in mind are

how long has the shower screen been fitted? guarantee only lasts a certain time

did Hydraulica fit it, or DIY fit ? as it could have been fitted poorly.

DJ Dangerous
18-06-2011, 17:51
I'd stand in the kitchen if I were you.....

When was the door purchased?

When was it fitted?

Do you have a receipt for the fitting?

cainaries
18-06-2011, 18:03
We are about to put in a new bathroom so am revising plans. Thanks for posting even if my reply doesn't help (!). Our cats like to sleep in the shower and glad Tiggertwo is okay. I thought everything was guaranteed for two years by Spanish law? Though I do believe you have to return it in its original packaging and am not sure how you are going to return a large box of glass shards. Hope you sort it out.

9PLUS
18-06-2011, 21:29
In the kitchen (luckily) I heard a loud crash 1 part of the shower had exploded and showered the bathroom in broken glass, the shop I bought it from are saying I have to pay for a new piece as these things happen when the panel is fitted too tight or had an accident neither of which have happen. My friend came today and took the door off so I could get at the rest of the bits of glass that were trapped, he unscrewed the door picked it up and that totally shattered in his hands cutting him badly.
The shop is now saying to go in on Monday and make a complaint but I will not get anywhere.
Anyone know where I stand?

If you are asking for help then i can only go off what you say

The doors would of been tested if you can prove that door was faulty you can claim (thats not going to happen in this case i don't think)

This happens as the shop has already expressed to you when the shower/door have not been installed 100% correctly or theres's additional movement on the door runners

You friend should of worn adequate protective clothing to dismantle the door

My advice use a professional in the future

x

julia44
19-06-2011, 06:47
I bought the shower in September (got the receipt) and it was fitted in December by the builders (no reciept) and previous to that they had fitted two other showers that had been in boxes for 3 years and they are fine.

I have kept all the glass in a bin bag and even to it into the shop the other day to show them.

I used builders gloves when I was picking up the first lot of glass, but my friends who took out the door are actually the builders and had popped round to see how the Oscar the dog was and said the glass dangling was dangerous. dont think I could get them to wear protective clothing as one of them had canvas deck shoes on when they poured the concrete for the roof, did offer to buy him a pair of wellies!

9PLUS
19-06-2011, 08:39
Sometimes builder friends can be useful...

Possibley if they had only fitted 2 previously they may have not known all the tricks or things to look out for

These glass doors will take 1-2 million years to decompose so even if they'd taken some out of a box within 100 years they'd still be in perfect condition.

Normally this type of glass does not cut because of the way the glass is designed to shatter

I guess you are going to purchase another door with your own money

julia44
19-06-2011, 09:57
Sorry wrote it wrong I meant to say 2 showers in my house, they have done loads before both of them nearly 60.
I have thought about it and am going to approach the complaint like a Jack Russell terrier because I have been thinking I could have been using the shower at the time and how could I have got out with walking through the glass and as I live on my own well doesnt bear thinking about.

atlantico
19-06-2011, 10:17
but a supplier of a product can't be held liable if it's been fitted by a third party - its a fitting problem they'll say. Maybe you should be looking at the builder for compensation for fitting it incorrectly ?

But if you didn't get an invoice/receipt from them, they're not professional builders really - and they're 'friends', and maybe that's why you're venting your anger at the supplier.

If you'd bought a kitchen from B&Q , had it fitted by friends, and a door fell off, would you blame B&Q or the builder ?

The supplier only sold it, are you then going to go to the glass producers to proportion blame ? ie. Pilkington ?

Do you get my point ?

Angusjim
19-06-2011, 10:40
Can you not claim thru your household insurance ?

doreen
19-06-2011, 10:48
Can you not claim thru your household insurance ?

I was just going to post that ... I have some very large picture windows ... a small crack appeared which slowly grew: Liberty sent around an assessor and agreed a claim straight away - over 2.000 euros as a huge crane had to be hired to replace it ... on fitting, I noticed a tiny crack in the corner (badly fitted) and it was replaced again, full cost the second time borne by the glass fitters.

9PLUS
19-06-2011, 11:11
If the glass was OK when purchased you would be banging your head against a wall if you think you're going to get anything

Do you get that?

the only thing you have is get the glass tested, it maybe a costly and time consuming process

your builder friend will be able to inform you of his experience now hes fitted 62

julia44
19-06-2011, 11:43
If the glass was OK when purchased you would be banging your head against a wall if you think you're going to get anything

Do you get that?

the only thing you have is get the glass tested, it maybe a costly and time consuming process

your builder friend will be able to inform you of his experience now hes fitted 62

I get it.
missed out "are" nearly 60.
as for professional they are and have been for many years in the area, I originally wanted to employ English people I could communicate with however 12 different people made appointments with me and then could not be bothered to turn up even though in total it was 4 months work,if they didnt want to come all this way then why not just say so, all these were claiming to be professional!
I find the shower situation very upsetting and was only looking for some advice on consumer rights.

9PLUS
19-06-2011, 12:02
OK do you feel you have recieved the correct information from the forum about your situation?

Your consumer rights are you have 2 year warrenty

Your comsumer advice would be to take it up with your builder/fitter

Unless you can prove that the glass in the door was not tempered glass by getting it tested

with cheese
19-06-2011, 13:27
Stand well back, is my advice, sorry.