PDA

View Full Version : Help required regarding schools in the south of Tenerife

zoe70_1
11-10-2012, 23:54
Hello everyone,

My name is Zoe and my family and I have made the decision to move to Tenerife from England asap. We seem to have sorted out work and where to live however our stumbling block at the minute is education for our 9 year old son.

I have placed him on the waiting list at Wingate but I am anxious that we may be waiting a while for a place to arrive. Does anyone know how quick the turnover of students is?

Can anyone recommend any other options in the mean time, prior to a place being available at Wingate? I'm sure we're not the first and won't be the last family to experience this problem and we wondered if anyone can shed any light onto how they overcome this problem....please.

My son doesn't speak any Spanish as yet, does this mean that Martin Luther King school would be out of the question? I know a new school is daunting enough without me placing him into a school where he just doesn't understand whats going on!!!

I would much appreciate any help that can be given.

Thank You in advance,
Zoe

fesdie
12-10-2012, 12:44
Hello everyone,

My name is Zoe and my family and I have made the decision to move to Tenerife from England asap. We seem to have sorted out work and where to live however our stumbling block at the minute is education for our 9 year old son.

I have placed him on the waiting list at Wingate but I am anxious that we may be waiting a while for a place to arrive. Does anyone know how quick the turnover of students is?

Can anyone recommend any other options in the mean time, prior to a place being available at Wingate? I'm sure we're not the first and won't be the last family to experience this problem and we wondered if anyone can shed any light onto how they overcome this problem....please.

My son doesn't speak any Spanish as yet, does this mean that Martin Luther King school would be out of the question? I know a new school is daunting enough without me placing him into a school where he just doesn't understand whats going on!!!

Thank You in advance,
Zoe

Have sent you a pm.

KirstyJay
12-10-2012, 19:53
Have sent you a pm.

Maybe you could share any non-personal info on this thread too, so that other members can benefit from the information. :)

DonnaFranka
18-11-2012, 14:48
Hello everyone,

Thank You in advance,
Zoe

Hi Zoe.

Personally at the age of 9, I would put my son into Spanish state school or into Luther King. He will learn Spanish very quickly and therefore be totally bi-lingual in about a year. He will make friends very easily as there are also a lot of English in the Spanish schools.

I have lived here for 18 years and have 2 sons and who are going through the spanish state school system. I have also seen a lot of families come over and put their kids straight into Spanish schools and they have the best of both worlds....Spanish friends and English friends and are enriched by the fact that they participate in both the cultures.

It may be a little daunting for the first week but he will settle down quickly.

Good lick. :)

casabonny
18-11-2012, 19:37
I would not recommend Wingate , go down the Spanish school system. My daughter was nine when we moved over and she went to Wingate briefly and a was very unhappy as we're we so we took her out and put her in what is now the Costa Adeje school and that was the best thing we ever did.Youwill find that most school be they private or state will have a mixture of nationalities and in general the teachers do help those who do not speak the language Sometimes by allowing them to so extra Spanish instead of English as their English will be far better than those Spanish pupils of the same age.My daughter settled well and was fluent within three months , went on to do very well achieving very good results in the Spanish equivalent of o and A levels .