PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Canon camera authorised dealer in Tenerife?

Nic
18-06-2011, 19:57
I was trying to take a photo of the lunar eclipse the other night, followed CanaryBird's instructions on how to set up to a tee (thanks CanaryBird) but unfortunately I knocked over the tripod and the camera fell to the floor so now I have a Canon EOS that needs repaired. It says "card write protected" whenever I switch on. After surfing the net for hours it would appear that perhaps a pin has come loose inside the card socket so I need an authorised Canon dealer to repair it. Does anyone know if there's one in Tenerife? I looked at the Canon website but they only showed one in Madrid. any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

grumps
18-06-2011, 20:00
can`t help but you`ve obviously checked the tab on the memory card..?

Nic
18-06-2011, 20:12
Yes, that was the first thing I checked. The card works fine in my other Canon camera and it works in the PC too. I've tried other cards in the camera but get the same error message each time. Found a forum that said try jiggling it! Tried that too with no success. I've updated the firmware on the camera too. It can read the card no problem. I can see photos on the camera from the card it just won't write to it.

9PLUS
18-06-2011, 21:43
The nearest repairer is in the mainland as i know

What model camera do you have?

With the camera "OFF", take out the Memory card and turn the camera "ON" for a minute or so, then turn "OFF" and introduce the card again, then try taking a photo to see if it writes, on some models this resets the chip inside. and can sort of dead pixels

If your card is a Compact flash (CF) you may of damaged it

If your card is a SD or static type they dont normally break with impact

It will more than likely be the camera which may not be worth the cost of repair hence why i asked what model it was

Nic
18-06-2011, 21:53
The nearest repairer is in the mainland as i know

What model camera do you have?

With the camera "OFF", take out the Memory card and turn the camera "ON" for a minute or so, then turn "OFF" and introduce the card again, then try taking a photo to see if it writes, on some models this resets the chip inside. and can sort of dead pixels

If your card is a Compact flash (CF) you may of damaged it

If your card is a SD or static type they dont normally break with impact

It will more than likely be the camera which may not be worth the cost of repair hence why i asked what model it was

I've got an EOS 450D which cost me £600. It's an SD card, the card itself is fine so I'm sure it's an issue with the camera. Tried your suggestion but still get the message. Looking through various forums it looks as though it may cost between 200 and 300€ to repair, I don't know if it's really worth it. The camera is only 18 months old though! Thanks for your help though.

9PLUS
18-06-2011, 22:04
OK let guess on the €300 repair cost double it get yourself the Canon 550D T2i A, you have upgraded and B,you have a far far far better camera.

I would pay €300 however to repair mine.

PhilCrean
19-06-2011, 01:18
If you need to repair it, Canon have a base in Santa Cruz, They will send it to Barcelona for repair. Takes about 3 weeks.
I recently had a lens sent away and it's come back like new, (and my wallet is 225€ lighter!!). But the lens would cost over a grand to replace so well worth
it.
If you are in London there's a good independent repair place called Fixation who are highly recommended and may be cheaper than Canon España.

Good luck.