PDA

View Full Version : Casual phrases in Canarian Spanish

wen53
30-05-2011, 01:02
We lost all the useful casual phrases :(

I was just starting to learn them off by heart. Can we resurrect this thread?

I was interested in the canarian pronouniation of phrases and a way of saying things without sounding like I'm reading from a phrase book! :lol:

slodgedad
30-05-2011, 01:11

I was just starting to learn them off by heart. Can we resurrect this thread?

I was interested in the Canarian pronunciation of phrases and a way of saying things without sounding like I'm reading from a phrase book! :lol:

You just have. Until the original database is accessed we'll have to start again. C'mon you beauties, someone must have access to a learning tool

timmylish
30-05-2011, 01:16
Until you have what you want just ensure you speak with your mouth tightly closed and emphasise the opening part of whatever you are trying to say!

wen53
13-07-2011, 02:21
ok, how do you say, "Do you accept cards?" when in a restaurant and want to pay by card?

tonypub
13-07-2011, 03:33
manana.....

Angusjim
13-07-2011, 07:08
"Yo sólo tienen en efectivo" quite popular with Canarian landlords I believe :whistle:

bonitatime
13-07-2011, 09:49
ok, how do you say, "Do you accept cards?" when in a restaurant and want to pay by card?
Podemos pagar con tarjeta de credito?

cainaries
13-07-2011, 11:15
Podemos pagar con tarjeta de credito?
or 'acepta tarjetas?' if you hear the word ' efectivo' in the reply it means they only take cash. The banks and credit card companies take a heftier percentage in Spain than they do in the UK so I'm told, so cards are less welcome. We'll leave out the fact that this also means transactions have to go through the books ...

I think we had 'Que tal?' on the other thread - which meant 'how are you?' and is a polite thing to ask someone who has just shown to your table etc.

wen53
14-07-2011, 01:04
thankyou
So when I say 'Que tal?' what response should I expect to hear?
Don't want them to spark up a conversation that I won't understand, ha ha!

CaribeCelt
14-07-2011, 01:33
I think the reply,and i repeat i think as i am just learning,is"Bien Gracias.

Andy0210
14-07-2011, 01:59
thankyou
So when I say 'Que tal?' what response should I expect to hear?
Don't want them to spark up a conversation that I won't understand, ha ha!

99 times out of 100 they wil reply "Bien y tu?" which means good and you?

Normally a bien gracias, or a muy bien will suffice in reply.

Unless they have had a row with their wife or husband that morning or their potato crops failed in which case they will waffle incredibly so just smile sweetly and leave. lol

wen53
14-07-2011, 02:11
Ha ha ha, it would be just my luck to get 'failed potato crop man':lol:

Andy0210
14-07-2011, 02:37

Think positive, he may be good looking! :eyebrows:

cainaries
14-07-2011, 12:07

In which case just waggle one hand slightly .. held out in front rather lazily and gently wafted back and forth ... which means oh dear, or more or less. If asked how you are you can also make this gesture which seems to mean okay-ish but not brilliant. Good luck with the potato crop man, he might be a big landowner .. you never know your luck.

fonica
14-07-2011, 13:25
"Yo sólo tienen en efectivo" quite popular with Canarian landlords I believe :whistle:

Translates to "I only they have in cash" I don't think you will have heard this here!!!

Malteser Monkey
14-07-2011, 15:22

and if they don't they should reply with
"No Lo siento"

In which case just waggle one hand slightly .. held out in front rather lazily and gently wafted back and forth ... which means.

You've trumped !:whistle:

cainaries
14-07-2011, 17:34
and if they don't they should reply with
"No Lo siento"

You've trumped !:whistle:
Oh, I shall blame that on OH!

wen53
15-07-2011, 00:24
Thanks everyone, how do you pronounce 'tarjetas' please?

TenerifePool
15-07-2011, 00:55
Thanks everyone, how do you pronounce 'tarjetas' please?

As it reads in English except the "J" which should be pronounced as in Adeje.

wen53
16-07-2011, 16:19
which would be how? I take it not a j as said in 'jack'?

Jackie
16-07-2011, 19:18
the J in Tarjetas is pronounced as an H so would sound like 'Tarhetas'

Loaded
16-07-2011, 20:22
Remember that all j's are pronounced as h.

Naranja
Tarjeta
Jardín
Jacarandá
Jaime

Etc

Sal
16-07-2011, 20:40
What happens to the letter S in Canaries - seems to be mostly pronounced as H?

We stayed in Calle Los Angeles and when I asked the taxi driver, he repeated Cayay Loh Angelehh!

cainaries
16-07-2011, 21:11

We stayed in Calle Los Angeles and when I asked the taxi driver, he repeated Cayay Loh Angelehh!

You're right, it does sound like that even though it shouldn't. I think this is local dialect rather than correct Spanish. Sometimes I just stick with what I think is right .. Los Angeles rather than Loh Angelehhh. He probably rolled the two words together as well Lohhangelehhh. This is why it's difficult to understand what they say and so much easier to read what is written down.

Jackie
16-07-2011, 21:26

Just the lazy Canarian way ;)

doreen
16-07-2011, 22:58

Yes, the Canarians swallow their "s" Doh for Dos, Mah for Mas and as you heard - Loh for Los

Malteser Monkey
16-07-2011, 23:44
As it reads in English except the "J" which should be pronounced as in Adeje.

which would be how? I take it not a j as said in 'jack'?

the J in Tarjetas is pronounced as an H so would sound like 'Tarhetas'

Canarian is a very lazy Spanish... sorry but it's the truth I learnt Gomeran Spanish first then text book and the difference is quite different. Everything is rolled together and believe me they don't care for being grammatically correct !

Yes, the Canarians swallow their "s" Doh for Dos, Mah for Mas and as you heard - Loh for Los

imablue
17-07-2011, 08:56
this may help in the pronunciation...Adeje .......and its cool ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzddQuu7MI

poker
17-07-2011, 10:07
this may help in the pronunciation...Adeje .......and its cool ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRzddQuu7MI

Super video Ima :-):-):-) .

Sent using Tapatalk.

TenerifePool
17-07-2011, 12:59
The Spanish "j" can be pronounced liken the English "h" as in the word hot or more commonly like the "ch" as in the word loch.

Ambrose
12-12-2011, 18:46
Canarian is a very lazy Spanish... sorry but it's the truth I learnt Gomeran Spanish first then text book and the difference is quite different. Everything is rolled together and believe me they don't care for being grammatically correct !

Hey, we're not lazy! :) It's a relaxed way of talking. In the peninsula they call us "aplatanados". Also grammar is extremely important, it's just that we say it in a way that makes it not obvious and always clear unless you understand it. We're as grammatically correct as mainlanders but you have to develop an ear for it otherwise you miss it.

Loaded
13-12-2011, 23:03
My favourite is the "s" phenomena .

If a word starts with an s and is followed by a vowel then they are capable of saying it as it should be, eg:

Sandia
Sin
Sala

Etc

Find a word with a consonant after the s and you're into strange waters :

Spiderman becomes Espeedermaaan.

slodgedad
13-12-2011, 23:29
Fascinating thread, especially as all the contributors speak exactly the same dialect of English.

Loaded
13-12-2011, 23:37
Eehhh???????

TenerifePool
14-12-2011, 01:49
Fascinating thread, especially as all the contributors speak exactly the same dialect of English.

¡Inglés chungo colega!

beerfan
14-12-2011, 02:07

:laugh:

Probably went totally over some people's heads but I got it. Though usually it's not a dialect as such (unless we're talking about Scots or something) but an accent.

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 12:51
How about if we all try to speak Spanish here and we help each other.......here I go:
Tira pá lante:move along,move forward

Peterrayner
14-12-2011, 12:57
How about if we all try to speak Spanish here and we help each other.......here I go:
Tira pá lante:move along,move forward

Pase Pase !!!!

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 13:03
Ñooooo,me duele las espardas:I've got a bad backache

Ecky Thump
14-12-2011, 13:05
Pase Pase !!!!

No tan rapido.

Peterrayner
14-12-2011, 13:09
Ñooooo,me duele las espardas:I've got a bad backache

me duele la espalda: my back hurts :(

Added after 2 minutes:

No tan rapido.

....................como ?

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 13:16
Chacho,eto ta guapo!!:this is cool mate ,I like this mate

Ecky Thump
14-12-2011, 13:19
me duele la espalda: my back hurts :(

Added after 2 minutes:

....................como ?

Porque me es diffcil!

Peterrayner
14-12-2011, 13:26
Porque me es diffcil!

a mi tambien a veces. :drunk:

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 13:36
Me deja do garimbas:Can I have two beers

Added after 5 minutes:

Ño,estoy cambado:I'm tired

cainaries
14-12-2011, 13:44
Me deja do garimbas:Can I have two beers

Hablas una lengua un poquito raro para mi! (Seems to me your Spanish is a bit unusual).

Are you just repeating what you're hearing (or may be you are Canarian but I thought the beer was Carimba!?) As for 'do' for both two and twelve - this is always a problem.

Peterrayner
14-12-2011, 13:44
me puede trae la cuenta por favor.........:)

lugo !

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 14:33
Yes I'm from Tenerife myself:Soy chicharrero

Added after 35 minutes:

Los güiris:Tourists

cainaries
14-12-2011, 15:28
Yes I'm from Tenerife myself:Soy chicharrero

Added after 35 minutes:

Los güiris:Tourists

I hardly dared to come back on here .... OH tells me garimba is correct! As for 'do' being both do(s) and do(ce), it is very confusing. A couple we know recently got served 12 beers ... managed to stop the guy when he got to about the 6th asking what he was doing.

I'm told 'los guiris' are all (northern) European foreigners, whether permanent or temporary residents?

Peterrayner
14-12-2011, 15:38
I hardly dared to come back on here .... OH tells me garimba is correct! As for 'do' being both do(s) and do(ce), it is very confusing. A couple we know recently got served 12 beers ... managed to stop the guy when he got to about the 6th asking what he was doing.

I'm told 'los guiris' are all (northern) European foreigners, whether permanent or temporary residents?

peninsulares :)

godos :)

beerfan
14-12-2011, 15:54

Isn't that somewhat pejorative?

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 16:13
peninsulares :)

godos :)
I didn't know about this 'godos' word but when I go to my local for a nice cup of tea(I'm not a drinker myself)I heard the people from Tenerife asking for do garimbitas or garimbolas or garimbas bien fresquitas!!!!Two cold beers

Added after 4 minutes:

Not at all ,it is a very friendly and welcome word it shows our love for you guys!!!

bonitatime
14-12-2011, 18:04

It used to be but it doesn't seem to be any more. I still wouldn't use it though. It tends to be blondish northern Europeans.
Godos is still very much an insult.

I like the word garimbas but feel it is a young peoples word. Which must therefore make me old

For me the most Canarina phrase must be pa yi pa ya pa ya pa ka. Which means more or less I was every where.
I can give the right spelling if you want but thats how it would be pronounced.

Estaanis
14-12-2011, 19:49
El sur está lleno de güiris:Las Américas is full of tourist

Added after 2 Hours 20 minutes:

Guys have you though about giving something back to the community and teach us English for free so then we could serve you better .....let's be honest this is the only way to go forward,don't you think?The other way around isn't going to happen...so I think it will be a great idea if you have a section in this forum to teach English and maybe later when you have quite a lot of people you could star charging some money for it.....but you should aim for CAE level and not the crappy numbers and colours level....anyway you know better but I think it could be a fantastic way to give something back to the islanders.....

Estaanis
15-12-2011, 22:23
So im taking it as a big NO then.....you should think it over...no more moaning about i dont know how to say this or that,no more awful times at the tills ,all the stress can be off with a little help from you guys ,just teach us exactly how you would like to be treat/serve and then no more crying.....come on !!! Are we English(not me) ,arent we?Lets teach this lot a lesson or two (for free)!!!!

beerfan
15-12-2011, 22:28
Yon man's got a point. Also, the WordReference forum might be a good place to start.

Peterrayner
15-12-2011, 22:44
I didn't know about this 'godos' word but when I go to my local for a nice cup of tea(I'm not a drinker myself)I heard the people from Tenerife asking for do garimbitas or garimbolas or garimbas bien fresquitas!!!!Two cold beers

My Canarian friends tell me Los Peninsulares is a pejoratived term for main land Spaniards

Godo is a a stronger term for a particular type of Peninsulare :eek:

Estaanis
15-12-2011, 23:13
Los Peninsulares is the right way to call people from La Península (Mainland Spain) as Isleños is the right way to call people from the Islands.....
Also I heard that people from mainland Spain call us Aplatanados(because they think we are very slow and laid back people)...but I'm not sure if it is true or not......

beerfan
15-12-2011, 23:21
"very slow and laid-back"

Do you mean relaxed? When "slow" is used to talk about a person it usually means they're slightly mentally retarded rather than laid-back.

Estaanis
15-12-2011, 23:40
I think you are being a bit extreme about being a bit slow and totally mentally retarded but anyway I meant relaxed ,thank you .

Added after 18 minutes:

Guys guys how do you call people from Pakistan .... I cant find it in the WordReference forum!!!!!!

Ecky Thump
16-12-2011, 00:23
I think you are being a bit extreme about being a bit slow and totally mentally retarded but anyway I meant relaxed ,thank you .

Added after 18 minutes:

Guys guys how do you call people from Pakistan .... I cant find it in the WordReference forum!!!!!!

Both men and women can be titled as a "Pakistani" .

slodgedad
16-12-2011, 00:35

Correct. It's only an insult when it's shortened because of it's usage.

Medman
16-12-2011, 00:54
Correct. It's only an insult when it's shortened because of it's usage.

Or if your Indian ..... :redcard:

Estaanis
16-12-2011, 01:55
Thank you very much Ecky!!

9PLUS
16-12-2011, 08:02
It used to be but it doesn't seem to be any more. I still wouldn't use it though. It tends to be blondish northern Europeans.
Godos is still very much an insult.

Yes its referred to more of the blue eyed blond hair tourist

As for the uses of Godos this literally mean Invaders, no matter what context it's used in, it's an insult.

bonitatime
16-12-2011, 09:54
Estaanis
Not sure what you are looking for but I have a Canarian friend who connects with me regularly on Watsapp just to chat on English. They work in banking and bounce terms for work off me. If you are looking for that sort of connection I would be happy to do that.

Ecky Thump
16-12-2011, 12:18

So I shall have to be careful in what I call a Apache.:indian:

beerfan
16-12-2011, 13:41

Well, that's the sort of idiomatic usage you'd find here when talking about people.

The correct demonym for Pakistan is Pakistani. If you need a list of terms relating to peoples from different countries try here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adjectival_and_demonymic_forms_of_place_na mes).

Or Bengali. Or Sri Lankan.

And in some parts of the world (such as Australia and the US) the shortened version is not pejorative or considered insulting. In Britain and Canada it is, though.

Estaanis
17-12-2011, 15:54
Dear all,at this magical time of the year when love is all around my eyes are full with tears of joy....how could a simple question as "how do you say in english Pakistani? ...brought together so many of you glad to share with me your wide knowledge in this particular matter......

Peterrayner
17-12-2011, 16:45
Dear all,at this magical time of the year when love is all around my eyes are full with tears of joy....how could a simple question as "how do you say in english Pakistani? ...brought together so many of you glad to share with me your wide knowledge in this particular matter......

guilt :hi:

9PLUS
17-12-2011, 17:58

Its cause we are waiting for you to say MY ISLAND Leafer

and all the other twonk that comes with it

cheers

x

Ecky Thump
17-12-2011, 18:02
Its cause we are waiting for you to say MY ISLAND Leafer

cheers

x[QUOTE]

Now, its funny you should have noticed that.:agree:

Added after 4 Hours:

[QUOTE=9PLUS;126787]Its cause we are waiting for you to say MY ISLAND Leafer

cheers

x

There is also Ambrose who is a good match for Leafer...The mysterious London Tenerifian.???

cainaries
17-12-2011, 22:31
So im taking it as a big NO then.....you should think it over...no more moaning about i dont know how to say this or that,no more awful times at the tills ,all the stress can be off with a little help from you guys ,just teach us exactly how you would like to be treat/serve and then no more crying.....come on !!! Are we English(not me) ,arent we?Lets teach this lot a lesson or two (for free)!!!!
Estaanis - I live on La Palma which, as you would know, is stuffed full of Germans. Not very many Palmeros are interested in learning German since it is not that widely spoken in the real world but not many Germans are interested in learning Spanish as they haven't really grasped that German isn't that widely spoken!

I am trying to learn Spanish and I do try to help out the few people I've met who talk to me in English.

beerfan
18-12-2011, 01:20
I think you're all wilfully missing the big question here, which is...

...what are the swear words/insults used in (Canarian) Spanish? It's worth noting these so you know when someone's insulting you behind your back. ;)

cainaries
18-12-2011, 22:17
Quick question. OH uses 'por si acaso' (we think) to mean 'just in case' but when I hear Spanish people using it, it doesn't seem to fit that context. Any ideas what it means?

TenerifePool
18-12-2011, 22:19
Por su caso.

cainaries
18-12-2011, 22:49
Por su caso.

Thanks ... and ... what does it mean (mas o menos?) ...

canarybird
18-12-2011, 22:53
Por si acaso does mean "just in case".

Santiago
18-12-2011, 22:55
Thanks ... and ... what does it mean (mas o menos?) ...

According to Google it means "their case".

tracy hampshire
18-12-2011, 23:18
cono, sorry my key board can't do the hyphon on top of the n, but i i couldn't belive how liberaly this word was used here, from the first word out of a babes mouth to a greeting across the street, translated as what most would consider the most offensive word in the english dictionary. cu*t, got used to it now, water off a ducks back( how do you say that in spanish tried to explain to oh )

TenerifePool
18-12-2011, 23:19
Por su caso - for his/her/it's case (legal)

Por se acaso - just in case

canarybird
18-12-2011, 23:58
Por si acaso is the correct form of "in case" ....not por se acaso:tiphat:

Estaanis
20-12-2011, 17:47
I think you're all wilfully missing the big question here, which is...

...what are the swear words/insults used in (Canarian) Spanish? It's worth noting these so you know when someone's insulting you behind your back. ;)

I was wondering if you feel the same being insulted in english than in spanish?

bonitatime
20-12-2011, 21:38
English insults are much more agressive sounding in my opinion

cainaries
20-12-2011, 23:10
Por si acaso is the correct form of "in case" ....not por se acaso:tiphat:

Thanks, canarybird. OH and I can stop arguing about that now! As in I'll take an umbrella 'por si acaso' it rains? Is that right?

canarybird
21-12-2011, 08:31
That´s right :)

Ambrose
22-12-2011, 17:59
[QUOTE=9PLUS;126787]Its cause we are waiting for you to say MY ISLAND Leafer

cheers

x[QUOTE]

Now, its funny you should have noticed that.:agree:

Added after 4 Hours:

There is also Ambrose who is a good match for Leafer...The mysterious London Tenerifian.???

I was scrolling through the thread and came across this. What exactly is going on?

Ecky Thump
22-12-2011, 18:07
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;126788][QUOTE=9PLUS;126787]Its cause we are waiting for you to say MY ISLAND Leafer

cheers

x

I was scrolling through the thread and came across this. What exactly is going on?

There was a forum member with a user name of "Leafer" whose posts had a startling similarity in grammer, content and punctuation as both yours and forum member Estannis. Nothing more, nothing less.:)

Ambrose
22-12-2011, 18:09
[QUOTE=Ambrose;128657][QUOTE=Ecky Thump;126788]

There was a forum member with a user name of "Leafer" whose posts had a startling similarity in grammer, content and punctuation as both yours and forum member Estannis. Nothing more, nothing less.:)

I thought you were making an accusation.

Ecky Thump
22-12-2011, 18:13
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;128658][QUOTE=Ambrose;128657]

I thought you were making an accusation.

Nope.....just a coincidental observation.

Ambrose
22-12-2011, 18:16
[QUOTE=Ambrose;128659][QUOTE=Ecky Thump;128658]

Nope.....just a coincidental observation.

And you should also bear in mind that people from Tenerife might come here, and you can't do those things every time they do.

Ecky Thump
22-12-2011, 18:21
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;128660][QUOTE=Ambrose;128659]

And you should also bear in mind that people from Tenerife might come here, and you can't do those things every time they do.

Another similarity has just occurred, Leafer was also just like a "dog with a bone" and would not let any thing go, even when it had been explained to him.

Ambrose
22-12-2011, 18:22
[QUOTE=Ambrose;128663][QUOTE=Ecky Thump;128660]

Another similarity has just occurred, Leafer was also just like a "dog with a bone" and would not let any thing go, even when it had been explained to him.

If you mean that I'm replying to you, well you're replying to me too. The difference is that you are doing something that you shouldn't do and I'm just explaining that.

Ecky Thump
22-12-2011, 18:29
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;128665][QUOTE=Ambrose;128663]

If you mean that I'm replying to you, well you're replying to me too. The difference is that you are doing something that you shouldn't do and I'm just explaining that.

:twak::twak::laugh:

Ambrose
22-12-2011, 18:33
[QUOTE=Ambrose;128666][QUOTE=Ecky Thump;128665]

:twak::twak::laugh:

I knew you were taking the **** out of me from the start. You're so childish.

henry
22-12-2011, 21:59
i am very gland members here are learning spanish. and allways remember woo..woo..woo... spike your hair

español (spanish version)

Me siento muy glándula los miembros aquí están aprendiendo español. y siempre recordará woo..woo..woo púa tu pelo

nigelmercier
04-06-2012, 22:56

Are they not on the old forum here (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=81105)

tonypub
10-10-2012, 09:18
¿Cómo se dice esto en Español?
Who do I make the check to?

¿A quien le escribo?? el cheque?

Gracias.i dont mind you makin the cheque in my name,pm me and ill give you my full name and an address to send the cheque to.

Javi
10-10-2012, 17:56
Hi Carolgreen 186!

¿A nombre de quién hago el cheque? / ¿A qué nombre hago el cheque? or in a more commonly and informal way ¿Qué nombre pongo en el cheque?

Hope this can help you.

funhunter
21-11-2012, 17:16
When you meet someone you haven't seen in a long time I love the Canarian phrase :

¿¿¿¿ÑÑÑÑooooo que pasó???? (you have to try and make the ÑÑÑÑÑÑoooo last as long as possible!)

9PLUS
21-11-2012, 19:17
Si

When you want to say yes

very caszzz

x

deepdivejunkie
21-11-2012, 19:32
i am very gland members

español (spanish version)

Me siento muy glándula los miembros

You have to get it right in English first! :-)

Harmonicaman
21-11-2012, 19:38
Oh lah me a me goes. Kay passa? (Esperanto innit...)

chifleta
21-11-2012, 22:33
When you meet someone you haven't seen in a long time I love the Canarian phrase :

¿¿¿¿ÑÑÑÑooooo que pasó???? (you have to try and make the ÑÑÑÑÑÑoooo last as long as possible!)

me and my brother and sis-in-laws all shout to each other this (the cuñaoooo bit at the end of the video) LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQmgYZ8vkTA

they're Canarian, i'm not :D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Si

When you want to say yes

very caszzz

x

I think i'll have to use my favourite terminology to you (which I use in both languages normally to OH when he's had a tecnophobe moment) ..............

"blesssssss...... pobre" said in a sarcastic tone :console:

Javi
22-11-2012, 10:16

Ha, ha, ha! Tha's a very good expression. 100% made in Canary Islands. But be careful with Las Palmas version..."chacho, chacho, chaaaaaacho... cuánto tiempo"

funhunter
22-11-2012, 18:38
Yes I love the chaaacho, you really do feel they're pleased to see you!

It's interesting to see the language variations not only on the different islands but within Tenerife. I live in El Escobonal a village lost up in the mountains of Guimar and locals here seem to have words of their own. I love gardening and so asked the neighbours the names of the plants and they all seem to be called something to do with "matos", matos de sombra, matos blancos, matos malos etc. It's wonderful much easier than learning all those Latin names!

I don't like the word "Guagua" though, it's just not serious, just try saying
"allí va la guagua a Guaza" without sounding a prat!

Javi
22-11-2012, 19:19
El Escobonal! I couldn't have imagined another place for living more Canarian than that. By living there you can pick up lot of common, and sometimes oldfashioned, Canarian expressions. A good example is "mato" (bushes, fruit-trees, small and medium sized trees).

Also, a good one is "merretil" for rotavator.

Try to say "allí va la guagua pa' Guasa"...pa' gives you time to prepare Guasa (Yes, we don't pronounce z).

cainaries
22-11-2012, 19:28
El Escobonal! I couldn't have imagined another place for living more Canarian than that. By living there you can pick up lot of common, and sometimes oldfashioned, Canarian expressions. A good example is "mato" (bushes, fruit-trees, small and medium sized trees).

Also, a good one is "merretil" for rotavator.

Try to say "allí va la guagua pa' Guasa"...pa' gives you time to prepare Guasa (Yes, we don't pronounce z).

I always like the pa' since I never know when to use para and when to use por. I know there are rules but I can't go through them all in my head in time whilst formulating my sentence.

Javi
22-11-2012, 20:08
Hi!

We (most of Canarian do) use pa' instead of para. So the rule is pa' = para.

funhunter
22-11-2012, 21:01
Merretil, I hadn't heard that one, I'll try it out, thanks.:tiphat:

Medanoman
22-11-2012, 22:47
"OutaDate" the best potatoes there are , called "outadate" because thats exactly what was written on the sacks from the uk , Although the locals don't realize that they are out of date seed potatoes from the uk , or of course ching edward which are King edward potatoes.

there are many local canarian words that are English in origin and are used instead of the Spanish word. Winche is a good one, Winch. or Molinette if you are from Madrid.

"Funel" is another or Funnel , The godos have another word that i have not learn't yet.

I Once was taken by my father in law to the Gofio mill in La Laguna who told me that the english might have many things but they won't have gofio milling machines like the ancient one in La Laguna. Its still there to this day milling gofio ...Much to my father in laws disgust i had to point out that it was apparently made in Manchester in 1893.

funhunter
23-11-2012, 09:01
Try to say "allí va la guagua pa' Guasa"...pa' gives you time to prepare Guasa (Yes, we don't pronounce z).[/QUOTE]

So to say "This potato is for dad and Pepa" would be "Esta papa es pa' papa y pa´Pepa" --sounds like machine-gun fire....

Javi
28-11-2012, 22:30
Hi!

Just a correction:

Funnel in Canarian words is "Fonil" and King Edwards potatoes are know as "chineguas" and also, depending on location as "quineguas". All these words are used everyday for locals.

We have some villages whose names begin with Igueste (i.e. Igueste de San Andrés, Igueste de Candelaria). It seems that Igueste arises from the English word "highest". I think it is true beacuse all Iguestes are in hight places.

Ha, ha. The mill's owner "se pasó de listo"...was built in Manchester:lol:

ribuck
05-12-2012, 12:47
We have some villages whose names begin with Igueste (i.e. Igueste de San Andrés, Igueste de Candelaria). It seems that Igueste arises from the English word "highest". I think it is true beacuse all Iguestes are in hight places.
I was wondering about this. Igueste de Candelaria is indeed "above Candelaria". But Igueste de San Andrés is at sea level (although surrounded by mountains). It is, however, "beyond San Andrés", being at the end of the road. In the same way, Igueste de Candelaria could I suppose be said to be "beyond Candelaria".

Javi
05-12-2012, 13:01
Hi.

The highest point of San Andrés is called Igueste and it's at 300 m above the sea level. Not too much, but above San Andrés.

Regarding Igueste de Candelaria, it exists a upper Igueste and lower Igueste, both of them above the motorway level, in fact, close to the old road.

Regards

Medanoman
05-12-2012, 13:03
According to http://www.academiacanarialengua.org/consultas/2010/04/igueste/

Igueste is a Guanche word, along with similar guanche words such as Tegueste and has no relation to English according to the Canarian Language Academy

KirstyJay
06-12-2012, 15:55
or of course ching edward which are King edward potatoes. I was told that King Edwards were 'chineguas' for the same reason, but different pronunciation. :)

cainaries
06-12-2012, 19:23
Changing the subject slightly, what do all of you do when someone obviously misdials and rings you by mistake and then says to you, crossly usually, ¿Quien es? We find this quite funny. Somehow we feel it is up to us to ask the caller that question rather than the other way round! It has to be said in a very nasal snarl with a long emphasis on the 'es'.

Medanoman
06-12-2012, 20:08
hehe..i was trying to write in the phonetic, thought it might be easier for Britishers here to remember use..

KirstyJay
06-12-2012, 21:16
hehe..i was trying to write in the phonetic, thought it might be easier for Britishers here to remember use..Me too :) I was also told about the 'outodate' potatoes. It was my old English Teacher that I worked with in the school, as I think it's fascinating. Phonetically it'd be 'out-o-dat-ay' yes? Hilarious. :lol: She also mentioned some called 'red cara' that have a red skin, but they use the English word 'red' rather than roja... is that correct?

Medanoman
06-12-2012, 21:42
According to Wikipedia there are many more, some of which i find debatable..

"queque" (dulce elaborado al horno a base de huevos, azúcar, pasas y otros ingredientes, del inglés cake), "quinegua" (tipo de papa, del inglés King Edward) o "naife" (nombre del cuchillo canario típico usado en el cultivo del plátano, proviene de la palabra inglesa knife), "pulover" (sueter, proviene de pull over). "suéter" (proviene de sweater), "flis" (a partir de la marca comercial Flit, para hacer referencia a un aerosol o spray),4 5 "flash" (bebida refrescante envuelta en plástico, proviene de flash (relámpago) que era su marca comercial), "canchanchán" (matado o persona que hace las cosas mal y de mala gana, proviene de Can John jump?)[cita requerida]. "un fisco de..." (un pedazo de..., proviene de a piece of... - en la provincia de Las Palmas se le dice un pisco de...)[cita requerida], "fotingo" (procedente de Foot it and go,que era la manera de ser anunciados los primeros automóviles con cambio automático) para designar a "un coche viejo"[cita requerida], "tenis" del inglés "tennis shoes" para zapatillas deportivas, "ticket", "parking", "cáncamo" de la expresión inglesa "Can? Come on!" para ganarse un dinero extra con un trabajo extra (muy usado en albañilería)[cita requerida]. También de origen inglés es la expresión "¡Foh!", para querer decir ¡Qué asco!, ¡Qué peste!, ¡Qué mal huele!, que proviene de la expresión inglesa Faugh![

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

When someone asks ¿Quien es? in that context Its pretty obvious they have a wrong number, so i tell them they have a wrong number...numero equivocado muchacho/a

Just checked with my canarian wife. yep they are all valid

cainaries
06-12-2012, 23:46
We bought two orange trees a couple of years ago. One was apparently called 'latte'. Couldn't quite grasp the name of the other variety when we heard it said. Yup, 'early' and 'late'.

KirstyJay
07-12-2012, 00:04
According to Wikipedia there are many more, some of which i find debatable..

"queque" (dulce elaborado al horno a base de huevos, azúcar, pasas y otros ingredientes, del inglés cake), "quinegua" (tipo de papa, del inglés King Edward) o "naife" (nombre del cuchillo canario típico usado en el cultivo del plátano, proviene de la palabra inglesa knife), "pulover" (sueter, proviene de pull over). "suéter" (proviene de sweater), "flis" (a partir de la marca comercial Flit, para hacer referencia a un aerosol o spray),4 5 "flash" (bebida refrescante envuelta en plástico, proviene de flash (relámpago) que era su marca comercial), "canchanchán" (matado o persona que hace las cosas mal y de mala gana, proviene de Can John jump?)[cita requerida]. "un fisco de..." (un pedazo de..., proviene de a piece of... - en la provincia de Las Palmas se le dice un pisco de...)[cita requerida], "fotingo" (procedente de Foot it and go,que era la manera de ser anunciados los primeros automóviles con cambio automático) para designar a "un coche viejo"[cita requerida], "tenis" del inglés "tennis shoes" para zapatillas deportivas, "ticket", "parking", "cáncamo" de la expresión inglesa "Can? Come on!" para ganarse un dinero extra con un trabajo extra (muy usado en albañilería)[cita requerida]. También de origen inglés es la expresión "¡Foh!", para querer decir ¡Qué asco!, ¡Qué peste!, ¡Qué mal huele!, que proviene de la expresión inglesa Faugh!

queque is correct. I've heard it many times. It tends to relate to 'english' recipe cakes, as bizcochón is made using beaten egg whites that are folded into the mixture. Now you mention it, so are sueter and tenis. The kids use this in class. Not personally come across any of the others though.

I hate it when people ask ¿Quien es? I always reply with ¿Quien es? back and say 'you rang me...why are you asking who I am?' ;)

bonitatime
07-12-2012, 09:35
Somebody recently talked to me about panqueques which confused me until they showed me the packet which was for crepes and pancakes
Fotingo is something I hear between the friends I go to football with

cainaries
07-12-2012, 14:33
Went to my Spanish class today and we were trying to discuss jogging. The teacher seemed to think they called it 'footing' ... ??? Why take a different English word?! Or may be she hadn't understood what I meant. Anyone know?

ribuck
07-12-2012, 14:39
Went to my Spanish class today and we were trying to discuss jogging. The teacher seemed to think they called it 'footing' ... ???
Heh, that's funny. The dictionaries agree with your teacher.

I still find it weird that 'camping' means a campsite, rather than the activity.

cainaries
07-12-2012, 16:17
Heh, that's funny. The dictionaries agree with your teacher.

I still find it weird that 'camping' means a campsite, rather than the activity.

Thanks for looking it up! 'Parking' is another one. Official word, I think, is aparcamiento but often hear people refer to the car park as 'el parking'.

Javi
22-01-2013, 22:30
Question: ¿Hola qué tal?/¿Hola cómo estás? (How are you?)
Answer: Pues bien, tirando/escapando. Aquí estamos, escapando. Literally: Here we are, throwing/running away. The hidden meaning behind this expression is more or less: I am not as well as I'd like but I can get by.

Marianne
23-01-2013, 20:29
Footing is a very stupid invention!!! One of those words some clever clogg came up with to look interesting, and means nothing in the original language! The Spanish seemed to have then borrowed it from the French. Other exemples are:

un brushing - for blow-dry at hairdresser's
un pressing - for a dry cleaner's
un parking - for a car park
and as said ' le footing' for jogging
and un training - for a tracksuit

Daft .. (btw I am a native French who used to teach in the UK)

KirstyJay
31-01-2013, 00:26
I've come across another one recently... I swim a mile a day at the local pool, and have come to know the names for the the different strokes...

brazo = breast stroke
espalda = back stroke

...but the one that I realized was taken from English once I saw it written down on my friend's training sheet was 'croll' taken from the English for Front Crawl. Before I saw it on the training sheet I thought it was the same word. He was amazed when I explained what the word 'crawl' means in English... literally to crawl through the water... and now he understands why it has a similar name in Spanish. :)

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2013, 14:01
Brazo hmmm

Thats's a handy one for TOTO 99

Excuse the pun !

Fivepence

Fivepence
31-01-2013, 14:08
Brazo hmmm

Thats's a handy one for TOTO 99

Excuse the pun !

Fivepence

Not sure about that Double M but I definitely 'croll' out of bed each day.........................:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2013, 14:10
Not sure about that Double M but I definitely 'croll' out of bed each day.........................:whistle:

Good one !:crylaughing:

Every day's a learning day