PDA

View Full Version : Driving from the UK to Tenerife

Topacciolo
18-06-2011, 20:20
Hi everyone, last week I read I note of someone that every year drive from UK to Tenerife to bring they dogs here.
Bhe, my thing is a bit different, I just would like to be able to bring here my motorbike when we will be moving (I hope very soon!!!!) here but I don't know what is the easiest solution.... Price and time will effect my choice but I need to find a way!!
Any idea?? Or if the person that wrote that note about this couple could put me in contact with them it would be lovey!!
Please do not tell me that it will be easier to sell my bike because that it will not happen!!!
Thanks to everyone!!!
Topacciolo

kieraj
18-06-2011, 23:18
get a ferry from the south of england -portsmouth/plymouth to santander/bilbao then ride to Portugal, not sure of the port you will have to google this and get the ferry from there, this is the cheapest and quickest way, we drove through france and sailed from cadiz in spain which was more expensive and was longer, this was 3 years ago so it may be different now, I am going to find the name of the port now and get back to you.

Added after 3 minutes:

the port is portimao, look at direct ferries website, good luck it will be an adventure,

Topacciolo
18-06-2011, 23:21
Thanks! Thanks!!

Topacciolo

kieraj
18-06-2011, 23:49
just research your route and you will be ok

poochie
19-06-2011, 11:18
we use many routes to send our dogs back to the uk if you get in touch with us we give you all the information sent to us by our customers, thanks pete and kate xxx

Topacciolo
19-06-2011, 11:47
we use many routes to send our dogs back to the uk if you get in touch with us we give you all the information sent to us by our customers, thanks pete and kate xxx

It would be nice because we will also bring our lovely cat here so that would have been my next question to the forum!!
Can I email you?

Topacciolo

ameal4two
19-06-2011, 12:40
hope you enjoy getting your bike here,you could always ride it here..as to you not selling ,bikes here cost more then uk. i sold mine before i came over but a big draw back is that
you will have to Matriculate your bike ,not sure how much this is ,it is expensive i know ..best of look ......

Topacciolo
19-06-2011, 14:31
hope you enjoy getting your bike here,you could always ride it here..as to you not selling ,bikes here cost more then uk. i sold mine before i came over but a big draw back is that
you will have to Matriculate your bike ,not sure how much this is ,it is expensive i know ..best of look ......

Thanks! Any idea where to find info about registering the bike here once I make the move?? Like the name of the DVLA in Tenerife??
What bike did you have?? And did you get a new one here?!?

Topacciolo

coffee
22-06-2011, 17:30
Anyone have a ballpark figure for the cost of getting a car to tenerife by driving it yourself? I suppose number of miles overland + ferry crossing prices would be easiest, as the mpg varies a bit depending what you have.

Also is it much of an issue driving a uk registered right hand drive car over there? My guess is you'd need to get your lights adjusted for driving on the other side.. but i cant think of anything else. And I guess as long as your insurance covers you for europe there's nothing to sort out? no paperwork?

thanks!!

tracey
22-06-2011, 21:29
No idea about the miles but it cost us 1600 to bring a car, trailer and 2 ppl from Cadiz to Tenerife

You need to take the car out of Spain every 6 months or get the plates changed to Spanish.

dede
22-06-2011, 21:42
We brought a bike over nearly two years ago now from the north of england, we drove it from the north down to portsmouth and got a ferry over to santander, from there we drove down to portugal (portamio) and got the ferry over to santa cruz, it was a long ride but the only trouble was it was november when we did it so we hit some rather bad weather to say the least. We would do it again but maybe summer next time, Having said that we are still having trouble finalising the matriculation, we have hit loads of brick walls, i think the authorities dont take kindly to importing bikes as they make it very hard for you to do so and put all kinds of obsticles in the way. The reason we brought it over in the uk was there are apparently only 6 of these bikes on the island of tenerife so none were for sale at the time. (Its a Vmax) Anyway good luck with your journey whichever way you choose to do it.

coffee
22-06-2011, 22:50
No idea about the miles but it cost us 1600 to bring a car, trailer and 2 ppl from Cadiz to Tenerife

You need to take the car out of Spain every 6 months or get the plates changed to Spanish.

Ok thanks. Sounds a bit too pricey for me, I was only going to stay for a few months, hopefully long term car hire is cheaper..?

1247sandra
23-06-2011, 11:22
There is a cheaper ferry from Huelva in Spain to Santa Cruz.

babybadger
11-07-2011, 13:34
We brought a bike over nearly two years ago now from the north of england, we drove it from the north down to portsmouth and got a ferry over to santander, from there we drove down to portugal (portamio) and got the ferry over to santa cruz, it was a long ride but the only trouble was it was november when we did it so we hit some rather bad weather to say the least. We would do it again but maybe summer next time, Having said that we are still having trouble finalising the matriculation, we have hit loads of brick walls, i think the authorities dont take kindly to importing bikes as they make it very hard for you to do so and put all kinds of obsticles in the way. The reason we brought it over in the uk was there are apparently only 6 of these bikes on the island of tenerife so none were for sale at the time. (Its a Vmax) Anyway good luck with your journey whichever way you choose to do it.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for the matriculation process (not including importation taxes etc) , i.e. ITV and going to Trafico and number plates. I have just used an agent and all in €695 , just checking if that includes road tax....

dede
11-07-2011, 13:59
Just out of interest, how much did you pay for the matriculation process (not including importation taxes etc) , i.e. ITV and going to Trafico and number plates. I have just used an agent and all in €695 , just checking if that includes road tax....

well you got a bargain as it cost up 890 euros. and as it happens yesterday was the big day we finally got everything through after nearly 12months the bike is now officially on spanish plates. ps that was including the road tax.

babybadger
13-07-2011, 11:23
well you got a bargain as it cost up 890 euros. and as it happens yesterday was the big day we finally got everything through after nearly 12months the bike is now officially on spanish plates. ps that was including the road tax.

I just checked , that includes the road tax as well. (BTW mines a Buell X1 Lightning and I think it is the only one of that model on the island!)

dede
13-07-2011, 11:31
I just checked , that includes the road tax as well. (BTW mines a Buell X1 Lightning and I think it is the only one of that model on the island!)

So is the matriculation all done now then?

babybadger
13-07-2011, 11:36
So is the matriculation all done now then?

Yep just have to get the plates and documents from the agent and pay him (I am currently in the UK), I did the MOT (ITV) myself at El Rosario (only place for imports, I understand that Guimar is best for MOT's from the local guys) and from I started the process on April 28th 2011, so not that long really....The ITV failed first time due to a loud Supertrapp exhaust...I had to come back to the UK buy a secondhand original exhaust and take it back out, fit it and re-ITV it....

dede
13-07-2011, 11:44
Yep just have to get the plates and documents from the agent and pay him (I am currently in the UK), I did the MOT (ITV) myself at El Rosario (only place for imports, I understand that Guimar is best for MOT's from the local guys) and from I started the process on April 28th 2011, so not that long really....The ITV failed first time due to a loud Supertrapp exhaust...I had to come back to the UK buy a secondhand original exhaust and take it back out, fit it and re-ITV it....

Yes the same here, we had to send to the uk for standard exhausts and they said that even they were too loud..lol, so we had them packed and took it back and then they fianlly passed it, but it was the homoligation that was a big problem for us as the bike didnt have one due to its age but they were insisting on it, so after a big hoohar they had to back down. so well done to you for getting it all done so quick.

UKmember
25-05-2013, 12:21
Hi,
I'm looking at driving from the UK to Tenerife with my car in a few months time.

Has anyone done this? What route did you take and was it expensive?

Help appreciated.

Thanks

slodgedad
25-05-2013, 12:32
Hi,
I'm looking at driving from the UK to Tenerife with my car in a few months time.

Has anyone done this? What route did you take and was it expensive?

Help appreciated.

Thanks

I have merged your thread with one on the same subject. Have a look through and you may find the info you need,

AL JAY
25-05-2013, 12:33
Here is another thread on the subject...

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?18176-Shipping-a-car-from-the-U-K-to-Tenerife

UKmember
25-05-2013, 12:36
Thank you. :)