PDA

View Full Version : Flight prices - "All taxes and charges included" I think not you scamming B******s.

DaveRF
18-06-2011, 23:12
I booked flights last night to Ibiza for Myself, Paul and 2 pals. I've been checking the prices regularly (which say all taxes and charges included) and yesterday they dropped in price so I went ahead and booked them.

£32 each to take a suitcase, £10 each to check in online (more if you check in at the airport). You have to reserve the seats when you book at £3.99 each way. Then just over £70 in charges to pay by plastic.

I thought this practise was being outlawed? ALL charges should be clearly included from the outset. OK optional costs such as meals no because they are optional. It's never been an option NOT to check in for a flight as far as I am aware. If you are booking online it's NOT optional not to pay with plastic. How the **** else are you going to pay?

Just saying [/rant] (I've seen the Irish fascinating Aida cheap flights video too ;).

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 23:17
It still disgusts me, and I thought it was to be outlawed.

Last year OH had to go home (family emergency) and I found the cheapest flight was the most expensive on first search.

Until a standard is set then they all have to advertise their wares the best way they can.

Don't agree with it at all, but I can understand why they are forced to do it.

doreen
18-06-2011, 23:20
Just saying [/rant] (I've seen the Irish fascinating Aida cheap flights video too ;).

:) with subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

cainaries
18-06-2011, 23:24
I booked flights last night to Ibiza for Myself, Paul and 2 pals. I've been checking the prices regularly (which say all taxes and charges included) and yesterday they dropped in price so I went ahead and booked them.

£32 each to take a suitcase, £10 each to check in online (more if you check in at the airport). You have to reserve the seats when you book at £3.99 each way. Then just over £70 in charges to pay by plastic.

I thought this practise was being outlawed? ALL charges should be clearly included from the outset. OK optional costs such as meals no because they are optional. It's never been an option NOT to check in for a flight as far as I am aware. If you are booking online it's NOT optional not to pay with plastic. How the **** else are you going to pay?

Until everyone on here tells us which airline this refers to, your rant is - sorry - pointless. Yes it is going to be outlawed - one day - and some airlines already follow the rules - but not all. So to get the ones who don't follow it to fall in line, they have to be named and shamed so please name the airline - thank you. I feel very strongly about this topic - as do you - so did you book on Iberia or BA?

DaveRF
18-06-2011, 23:26
Until everyone on here tells us which airline this refers to, your rant is - sorry - pointless. Yes it is going to be outlawed - one day - and some airlines already follow the rules - but not all. So to get the ones who don't follow it to fall in line, they have to be named and shamed so please name the airline - thank you. I feel very strongly about this topic - as do you - so did you book on Iberia or BA?

No Cainaries it was Jet2.

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 23:33
:) with subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

I must be into 3 figures watching this now.

Still can't resist clicking it....

cainaries
18-06-2011, 23:34
No Cainaries it was Jet2.
Thanks - sorry to have a go at you. Unless it says that it's all inclusive price at the beginning of the online process it seems that it isn't. And even Iberia charges for food on the plane and for extra bags so I don't think there's an airline left in Europe which doesn't charge hidden extras.

I absolutely love that video and only wish I could find it translated into Spanish for my Spanish friends.

DaveRF
18-06-2011, 23:36
Thanks - sorry to have a go at you. Unless it says that it's all inclusive price at the beginning of the online process it seems that it isn't. And even Iberia charges for food on the plane and for extra bags so I don't think there's an airline left in Europe which doesn't charge hidden extras.

I still think it's wrong though. As I said fair enough don't include optionals. A meal is optional, even luggage is optional as not everyone needs to take luggage but checking in? a seat? paying with plastic? Definitely not optional.

cainaries
18-06-2011, 23:43
I take your point absolutely. And most of the food is so disgusting I would almost pay not to eat it and I would pay not to smell it - or the horrible food that people now take on board which used to be banned.

Years ago I was behind an American trying to take a MacDo onto a BA flight from London to Geneva and they refused him boarding unless he ditched the burger because they said it would stink up the cabin. too right. Took a local flight from here recently with a group who boarded with a pizza to share .... urgh. Are people going to starve flying from UK to Tenerife for 4 hours with no food. Water of course but can people really not survive without eating for 4 hours?

TIS
19-06-2011, 01:04
I still think it's wrong though. As I said fair enough don't include optionals. A meal is optional, even luggage is optional as not everyone needs to take luggage but checking in? a seat? paying with plastic? Definitely not optional.
Whilst I totally agree that to advertise flights for 50p or any other price and suggest it is all inclusive is misleading to say the least, your point is lost by saying a meal is optional. In your opinion it is optional, but this is exactly the point the airlines now argue that in thier opinion everything is optional ( including paying by credit card when booking on-line ) and hence they charge fr every little thing. The only thing they haven't yet started, but there was a separate thread on this, was charges for a persons weight, so all the lardies had to pay for weighing their side of the plane down. I am surprised that if that is too "politically sensitive" or non-PC that they don't get around it by offering a discount for people weighing less than a certain amount, say 85 kilos.

Sitting here waiting for the backlash now....

Added after 3 minutes:

I take your point absolutely. And most of the food is so disgusting I would almost pay not to eat it and I would pay not to smell it - or the horrible food that people now take on board which used to be banned.

Years ago I was behind an American trying to take a MacDo onto a BA flight from London to Geneva and they refused him boarding unless he ditched the burger because they said it would stink up the cabin. too right. Took a local flight from here recently with a group who boarded with a pizza to share .... urgh. Are people going to starve flying from UK to Tenerife for 4 hours with no food. Water of course but can people really not survive without eating for 4 hours?

Depends if they have been up half the night to make the flight in the first place only to find all facilities in the airport closed on arrival and young kids would would be a nightmare on the plane if it was past their normal feeding time.

Loaded
19-06-2011, 04:52
I don't mind them charging extra for food it's the stuff you need anyway, like you can only pay by card, you need to pay airport tax, you need fuel in the plane....

TOTO 99
19-06-2011, 07:01
The problem is that despite the underhand way it's thrown on at the end of the booking process they're still usually cheapest. All airlines seem to do it, not just the budgets. There can't be many people left who seriously think that you can get to Tenerife for £25 can there? I've used Ryanair and Easyjet many times and had no real problems but I've now given up with both of them because I'm 6ft 4" and have a 36" inside leg and neither airline allows pre booked seats. I now tend to use Monarch but it's approx £100 dearer. It's now become natural to us to use price comparison sites and look for the cheapest even though most of us know what that could mean. Whilst I now book with Monarch I still look at the others to see how much I could have saved.....lol.....

candy2411
19-06-2011, 08:12
Flying is so boring especially now the budget airlines don't offer TV/music channels , having a meal or something to eat helps pass the

time I think

Added after 4 minutes:

. Are people going to starve flying from UK to Tenerife for 4 hours with no food. Water of course but can people really not survive without eating for 4 hours?

as I said you eat not always cos you're hungry, it helps pass the time

Zara
19-06-2011, 08:27
I spent yesterday afternoon looking for flights and I had great difficulty booking a flight to get back to Tenerife. My first call was what is usually my favourite because of price Ryanair (I flew out with them hand baggage only - the total price for 2 people was 75.82 GBP) -

Fast-forward to yesterday every flight except one was sold out. The one available looked good at 39.99 per person, but after taxes and I also need to bring back 1 suitcase the total came to just under 175 GBP. It was also from Luton at silly o'clock which would have meant getting to the airport at 4am and how come I have to pay for the pleasure of doing my own online check in at 6 pounds per person.

After a bit of searching Thomas Cook came out at 150 GBP I finally settled on Thomson from Gatwick mid afternoon flight including 1 bag 113GBP for both of us. It does pay to shop around but I also get really angry at the hidden costs,

tizzywizzy
19-06-2011, 08:37
I agree Zara the hidden costs annoy me as well. It is the extras that are per person per leg of journey. If there are a group of you the costs are huge. There should be ONE card charge and ONE online charge no matter how many are on the booking. If will never happen but one can wish.

TOTO 99
19-06-2011, 08:46
Still good value though when you consider it's the best part of two thousand miles. I wonder what British Rail would charge for that? :lol:

Zara
19-06-2011, 08:55
Still good value though when you consider it's the best part of two thousand miles. I wonder what British Rail would charge for that? :lol:

Now don´t get me going on BR - had to take a cheap day return to London from Camberley (about 30 miles) 47.00 how is that cheap ???

TOTO 99
19-06-2011, 09:06
Now don´t get me going on BR - had to take a cheap day return to London from Camberley (about 30 miles) 47.00 how is that cheap ???

That's answered my question then. Approx £3k..and that's just one way. :)

atlantico
19-06-2011, 10:33
BUT, if airlines advertised the FULL price, many other people would complain . . . . . . . . . because they Don't have hold luggage, Don't want a meal, Don't want insurance, Don't want to book a seat, Don't want to check in at the airport, Don't mind paying using the airlines pre-paid payment card service . . . . . . . and the airlines state that airport and fuel costs are NOT their charges so are unavoidable, just like VAT

DaveRF
19-06-2011, 12:31
Whilst I totally agree that to advertise flights for 50p or any other price and suggest it is all inclusive is misleading to say the least, your point is lost by saying a meal is optional. In your opinion it is optional, but this is exactly the point the airlines now argue that in thier opinion everything is optional ( including paying by credit card when booking on-line ) and hence they charge fr every little thing.

Sorry can't agree with you. Meals are optional. You don't have to book a meal to be able to get there. With Jet2 you have to pay to check in online or at the terminal. You have to book at seat each way and pay for it. You have to pay by plastic. There is no way you can take the flight without checking in, booking a seat or paying for it. You can take the flight if you don't want a meal or to take a suitcase.

karinagal
19-06-2011, 12:53
Sorry can't agree with you. Meals are optional. You don't have to book a meal to be able to get there. With Jet2 you have to pay to check in online or at the terminal. You have to book at seat each way and pay for it. You have to pay by plastic. There is no way you can take the flight without checking in, booking a seat or paying for it. You can take the flight if you don't want a meal or to take a suitcase.

I agree with you Dave - it's very frustrating. When we flew out for our recent trip, we booked the outward leg with Jet2 coz they were cheapest on the way out and the return leg with Ryanair! With Jet2 we had to pay the admin charge as our prepaid MasterCard still incurred a cost - on the return leg we used our prepaid Caxton Euro card and not only saved on the admin charge, but actually got the return flight cheaper as we were paying in euros!!

On the subject of extracting the urine with so called 'extra' costs - we were looking for a car at an Arnold Clark showroom.. it was a second hand Citroen Picasso about 12 months old. The price on the screen was less than the price the salesman quoted - when we asked what the difference was he said it was for the metallic paint!! for heaven's sake, how can you class that as an 'extra' on a second hand car?! How would it be possible to get it without the metallic paint!! :doh::doh::doh:

macdonald5
31-05-2012, 07:20

Agree,slightly off thread - have you seen their prices for next year?
Glasgow / Tenerife 7th till 28th May almost £600 for 2 without meals

dolmard
31-05-2012, 12:54
3 passengers : Paris/Tenerife 1st july to 22th : 600€ (around 478 GBP) with Ryanair. 200€/person it's a good price. We don't have bought any "extra" offcourse just our cabin luggage.