PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Who is moving to Tenerife this week?

Tom & Sharon
13-10-2012, 14:08
All the threads with similar title are doing my head in, so I thought I'd write a generic one. It seems to cover most of them.......

Hi, my name is John, and with my wife Janet and 3 children aged 8, 10 & 14 will be moving to Tenerife next week. We are so excited we just can't wait. We are fed up with the rain in England, and the taxes, so thought we would start a new life in the sun. We've been to Tenerife on holiday in Las Americas 3 times now and us and the kids absolutely loved it, so decided it's the place for us. As soon as we got back from our last holiday, we started saving and will have over Ģ1,000 to bring with us. We hope this will last us till we find jobs and get on our feet out there.

I can turn my hand to anything. I have worked on a milk float when I was young, and was a shelf stacker in the local supermarket, so know loads about food and dairy products. For the last few years I have been selling double glazing and gas & electric door to door, so feel I am a really good communicator. Janet has been a school dinner lady at our kids school for the last 5 years. We're hoping our experience will get us good jobs when we get there.

We don't know where we want to live yet, but if anybody can tell us any areas that the children will like, with a school nearby we'd love to know. We won't be able to afford private school fees straight away, so thought we'd put them in Spanish school till we can. It can't harm them to learn a bit of Spanish can it? Me and Janet can't really speak much Spanish, but I'm sure we'll pick it up quickly once we're there. We're quick learners and Janet has got CSE French.

We'll need to register at the doctors straight away, as our middle child has got asthma and needs tablets all the time. Can someone please tell us how we do that? If you can let us know the address of the doctors, we can ask our doctor to send the medical records over.

Anyway, I'll sign off for now. Lots to do with all the packing and everything. We just can't wait to feel the sun on our backs and start living the good life. In the meantime, I would love to hear from anybody who knows where there's a good apartment going. We've booked in a hotel for the first week, but will need to find somewhere to live straight away. The kids would love a pool. Also, if anybody knows of any jobs that would suit me and Janet, please let us know, and we'll send our cv's and photos straight away and fix up an interview for when we get there next week.

See you all in the sunshine soon.

Medanoman
13-10-2012, 14:39
Sad but too true.

brianandelaine
13-10-2012, 15:11
Posts like this have always amazed us but know from this and other forums just how accurate and close to the truth the original post is.
It should be made into a sticky.

cainaries
13-10-2012, 15:16
Dear John and Janet

I am the miserablist so-and-so who is going to tell you this is a Baaad Idea! You have no idea how bad things are here, no work, no cheap accommodation, no instant health services, etc. There are loads more reasons why you would actually do better to stay put in the UK but I'm so idle after living here in the sun for a while that I can't be bothered to tell you what they are.

You'll need a car, too, of course, or you could bring one with you.

Whatever you do don't go and live anywhere these Tom and Sharon people if you are renting because they just don't want you to.

In a minute someone will be along to tell you that it is a brilliant idea to move here especially if you buy their car/apartment/furniture which they are rather keen to sell because they're a bit strapped for cash.

Dashford
13-10-2012, 15:29
Hi John, just an idea, could you or your wife go first alone to try and get things like work, accomodation, schools and doctors sorted, then the rest of you come out? That way if work is hard to find and things don't work out (although I'm sure they will) you won't have to uproot your children, just to return six months later. Good luck to you and your family and I hope you achieve your goals. :)

Medanoman
13-10-2012, 15:49
the post is a joke that only residents seem to understand

Boyface
13-10-2012, 15:56
the post is a joke that only residents seem to understand

I'm not a resident and I understand. And it's thanks to reading the many threads on the forum that I do! I will be thinking very carefully before taking the plunge. For now I will stick with the holidays and hopefully stay for longer each time.

Tom & Sharon
13-10-2012, 16:14
Hi John, just an idea, could you or your wife go first alone to try and get things like work, accomodation, schools and doctors sorted, then the rest of you come out? That way if work is hard to find and things don't work out (although I'm sure they will) you won't have to uproot your children, just to return six months later. Good luck to you and your family and I hope you achieve your goals. :)

Classic :crylaughing::crylaughing:

Dashford
13-10-2012, 16:24
Yeah yeah I get it, I'm the tool lol :(

seanocelt
14-10-2012, 02:13
Wasnt THAT long ago some people on this thread were begging info from residents to help them along. Shallow.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Copy and paste this into google and have a read. http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=53906&highlight=

This and many other classics from people who used the forum , and now find it entertaining to laugh at others asking for help. Click on the name of the poster(s) , and a whole world of questions posed by them appear. Smug now. ? Oh yes, The very definition.

Dashford
14-10-2012, 07:53
Wasnt THAT long ago some people on this thread were begging info from residents to help them along. Shallow.

Copy and paste this into google and have a read. http://old.tenerifeforum.com/showthread.php?t=53906&highlight=

This and many other classics from people who used the forum , and now find it entertaining to laugh at others asking for help. Click on the name of the poster(s) , and a whole world of questions posed by them appear. Smug now. ? Oh yes, The very definition.

Think people forget the site for info and advice and in the end use it to get their kicks :( great post seanocelt ;)

Ed3229
14-10-2012, 08:33
Think people forget the site for info and advice and in the end use it to get their kicks :( great post seanocelt ;)

Yes this is a good place for advice but some never listen to the advice......Work is hard to find and times are very tough.Tenerife is NOT the UK and a holiday is very different to living on the island (been there done that!).
Yes some make it many don't....Tom and Sharon are just saying what many of us think.

Dashford
14-10-2012, 08:39
Yes this is a good place for advice but some never listen to the advice......Work is hard to find and times are very tough.Tenerife is NOT the UK and a holiday is very different to living on the island (been there done that!).
Yes some make it many don't....Tom and Sharon are just saying what many of us think.
I'm not moving to Tenerife to make a fortune, I'm doing it to make a happy life. I'm hard working and honest, in England these traits aren't respected, you have to be foreign or English and lazy to get a free life. So just to remind people it's a global recession not just a Spanish one!! And I'm sorry but I'm fed up of paying stupid amounts of tax, incredibly high bills and bankers and politicians wages. I'd rather be somewhere I can live happily cheaply rather than a country that puts me in debt for working hard. Political rant over lol :)

Angusjim
14-10-2012, 08:55
I'm not moving to Tenerife to make a fortune, I'm doing it to make a happy life. I'm hard working and honest, in England these traits aren't respected, you have to be foreign or English and lazy to get a free life. So just to remind people it's a global recession not just a Spanish one!! And I'm sorry but I'm fed up of paying stupid amounts of tax, incredibly high bills and bankers and politicians wages. I'd rather be somewhere I can live happily cheaply rather than a country that puts me in debt for working hard. Political rant over lol :)

I hope all goes well for you and you can make a better life for yourself but sometimes the grass is not always greener and would think that is definatley the case in Spain / Tenerife at the moment, think you would be better off somewhere like Australia which seems to missing the worst of the recession. I just hope if it does not work out that you don't expect us the British taxpayers to help you out. Good luck with your quest to find Utopia but if you think banks, politicians, tax etc is better in Tenerife then god help you they are the same the world over.:)

Tom & Sharon
14-10-2012, 08:56

If you had taken time to read that post, you would find it was a question I was asking about a problem my parents had, and something they had done without my knowledge. The situation is still unresolved, and they and all their neighbours still stand to lose their homes on mainland Spain. In total 6 villas all costing 360,000€ each and all paid for in cash. It was something they did without my knowledge, and they were STUPID I'll say it again in case you missed it, they were STUPID They realise it now of course, but it may be too late. This is my point really, you cannot just jump on a plane, on a whim, and come over here and think everything's the same. It most certainly isn't.

As far as we are concerned, if you give this a read http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?14382-3-yrs-today-since-we-bought-here-The-reality! you will find that I wrote a very honest story of our experiences on the island.

I am not trying to be smug. Far from it. It is simply a warning that life in Spain/Canairies is not a bowl of cherries. It is not easy, something not to go into without years of research, money behind you and some sort of guarantee of security. If not, there is a good chance your life will be ruined.

To encourage people to do otherwise is wrong.

Dashford
14-10-2012, 09:05
I hope all goes well for you and you can make a better life for yourself but sometimes the grass is not always greener and would think that is definatley the case in Spain / Tenerife at the moment, think you would be better off somewhere like Australia which seems to missing the worst of the recession. I just hope if it does not work out that you don't expect us the British taxpayers to help you out. Good luck with your quest to find Utopia but if you think banks, politicians, tax etc is better in Tenerife then god help you they are the same the world over.:)

Expect YOU, the British taxpayer to help me out?!?! I've paid in for 16 years and never asked for so much as a penny back. Yes politicians are the same the world over but your missing the point, I can live cheaply in Tenerife enjoying a bottle of water on a sun soaked sandy beach, with gorgeous views and happy people. In England this would be cold and ****e haha and yes your correct oz would be good and is also a possibility :)

If you had taken time to read that post, you would find it was a question I was asking about a problem my parents had, and something they had done without my knowledge. The situation is still unresolved, and they and all their neighbours still stand to lose their homes on mainland Spain. In total 6 villas all costing 360,000€ each and all paid for in cash. It was something they did without my knowledge, and they were STUPID I'll say it again in case you missed it, they were STUPID They realise it now of course, but it may be too late. This is my point really, you cannot just jump on a plane, on a whim, and come over here and think everything's the same. It most certainly isn't.

As far as we are concerned, if you give this a read http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?14382-3-yrs-today-since-we-bought-here-The-reality! you will find that I wrote a very honest story of our experiences on the island.

I am not trying to be smug. Far from it. It is simply a warning that life in Spain/Canairies is not a bowl of cherries. It is not easy, something not to go into without years of research, money behind you and some sort of guarantee of security. If not, there is a good chance your life will be ruined.

To encourage people to do otherwise is wrong.

And I'm guessing you wanted answers to the question? Not half wits trying to be funny at your expense!!! Maybe you should concentrate on looking out for your family, rather than coming on here to mock people ;) that is called "free advice" :)

Angusjim
14-10-2012, 09:36
Expect YOU, the British taxpayer to help me out?!?! I've paid in for 16 years and never asked for so much as a penny back. Yes politicians are the same the world over but your missing the point, I can live cheaply in Tenerife enjoying a bottle of water on a sun soaked sandy beach, with gorgeous views and happy people. In England this would be cold and ****e haha and yes your correct oz would be good and is also a possibility :)

I am not missing the point, you often read the stories on here out about people who are completey potless living hand to mouth day in day out,the sun does not pay bills, ask the Canarians who are on their knees trying to provide for there families and cannot get work because people like you coming over trying to take jobs that they could fill whilst you are looking for a better life, and in process of you looking for a better life you potentialy make their lives worse. As for happy people I am sure when you are there you will also meet many unhappy people. But as i said before good luck to you but it sounds to me your are thinking that your stay in Tenerife as being an extended holiday not as real life :)

Dashford
14-10-2012, 09:49
I am not missing the point, you often read the stories on here out about people who are completey potless living hand to mouth day in day out,the sun does not pay bills, ask the Canarians who are on their knees trying to provide for there families and cannot get work because people like you coming over trying to take jobs that they could fill whilst you are looking for a better life, and in process of you looking for a better life you potentialy make their lives worse. As for happy people I am sure when you are there you will also meet many unhappy people. But as i said before good luck to you but it sounds to me your are thinking that your stay in Tenerife as being an extended holiday not as real life :)

If your idea of a holiday consists of sleeping in a vehicle and working hard, then for you I worry!!! And hang on I've never once argued about a polish, African, Chinese, Romanian or any other race for that matter coming to England to make a life for themselves?!?! If what you say is true why the hell haven't you returned to your homeland??? I'm looking to contribute to the island of Tenerife not take away from it!! And to say I'm taking jobs from people who can't afford to feed their children is complete tosh and just shows how daft you really are. Maybe it's about time you climbed down off your soap box and assisted some of these people you seem to know so much about.

Angusjim
14-10-2012, 10:14
If your idea of a holiday consists of sleeping in a vehicle and working hard, then for you I worry!!! And hang on I've never once argued about a polish, African, Chinese, Romanian or any other race for that matter coming to England to make a life for themselves?!?! If what you say is true why the hell haven't you returned to your homeland??? I'm looking to contribute to the island of Tenerife not take away from it!! And to say I'm taking jobs from people who can't afford to feed their children is complete tosh and just shows how daft you really are. Maybe it's about time you climbed down off your soap box and assisted some of these people you seem to know so much about.

I assist people everyday of the week I currently work 70/80 hours per week giving employment to 22 people including 6 apprentices having just taken on another two during the worst trading I have seen in the 35 years I have been in business.I am in my homeland so a bit confused by what you say :confused: What are you going to contribute to the island from what I read you are a Chef who has worked behind bars & been a waiter so what exactly are you going to contribute to the island, these are all skills that many many people in Tenerife already pocess in my mind contributing means bringing something new to island not coming over adding another out of work chef looking for employment.I do assist the local population in Tenerife every year by spending my hard earned money during my 4 or 5 visits to the island that is my contribution !! and I may contribute more in a few years time by becoming a swallow so no problem with my contribution.

Tom & Sharon
14-10-2012, 10:37

And I'm guessing you wanted answers to the question? Not half wits trying to be funny at your expense!!! Maybe you should concentrate on looking out for your family, rather than coming on here to mock people ;) that is called "free advice" :)

But it is advice, unless the advice you want to hear, is "yes, come over, go for it, what have you got to lose?"

OK, so it was written tongue in cheek, and was meant to be funny. But the point is, that "John" in the story, is the very epitome of someone who should not come over, with his 3 kids, lack of money and security and a suitcase full of dreams. But still someone will come on and give the answer above. John wouldn't find his dream, he would just drag his family into a nightmare.

That's the point. The residents got it. The only reason you didn't is that you're not here yet. When you are, you'll get it. That doesn't mean that residents are some kind of smug and superior being, it's just that they will see or experience on a daily basis people struggling to survive here.

Dashford
14-10-2012, 10:45
Because I listed my skills!! I could also mention that I volunteer in a dementia care home or the fact that I used to go knocking on doors voluntarily for the nspcc?! Did I also mention I'm a chef in a hospital and regularly after finishing a ten hour shift, I'll still go and sit and talk to patients?! No I didn't, because I don't want thanking for it I do it because I enjoy it. I'll add to Tenerife by paying my contributions and assisting people in whatever way I can, helping them to learn English or maybe volunteering for a charity that I'm sure Tenerife has. Well done you own a business that employs people HURRAH!!! I'm sure your doin all that out of the kindness of your heart and not doing it to grow and expand your business?! And I said why don't you go to your homeland because the fact you said "comin over here" which would imply your in Tenerife?! And why wait a few years?? You could help disabled kids now, not wait a few years til your ready, But I hope you find happiness with all these amazing things you do, or sorry will do when you find time.

But it is advice, unless the advice you want to hear, is "yes, come over, go for it, what have you got to lose?"

OK, so it was written tongue in cheek, and was meant to be funny. But the point is, that "John" in the story, is the very epitome of someone who should not come over, with his 3 kids, lack of money and security and a suitcase full of dreams. But still someone will come on and give the answer above. John wouldn't find his dream, he would just drag his family into a nightmare.

That's the point. The residents got it. The only reason you didn't is that you're not here yet. When you are, you'll get it. That doesn't mean that residents are some kind of smug and superior being, it's just that they will see or experience on a daily basis people struggling to survive here.

Ok I accept your point, you may also see my advice to "John" was not to uproot his family!! And people struggle to survive all over the planet. I agree I didn't read it as a tongue in cheek comment and maybe I should of. :) no hard feelings

golf birdie
14-10-2012, 11:09
if its sunshine that makes you happy and not earning a living wage may I suggest one of the African countries. Then again they all seem to want to move to cold and rainy Europe:confused: Maybe being dirt poor with sunshine is not all its cracked up to be.

princessmonika
14-10-2012, 11:27
Well I think if people do not take advice, let them find out for themselves. Good luck anyway

Dashford
14-10-2012, 11:29
if its sunshine that makes you happy and not earning a living wage may I suggest one of the African countries. Then again they all seem to want to move to cold and rainy Europe:confused: Maybe being dirt poor with sunshine is not all its cracked up to be.

Well it's not just sunshine, I never said I was a solar panel lol I lived on jewel street in jo'burg for 6 months and can assure you I won't be returning to Africa for a life ( maybe a holiday) how can you compare Africa to Europe? Think your just making daft answers for the sake of it now.

golf birdie
14-10-2012, 11:44
Well it's not just sunshine, I never said I was a solar panel lol I lived on jewel street in jo'burg for 6 months and can assure you I won't be returning to Africa for a life ( maybe a holiday) how can you compare Africa to Europe? Think your just making daft answers for the sake of it now.

just heard the '' I'd rather be poor in the sunshine'' line so often its untrue. The reality is far from the dream. Many if not most move here without a clue what being poor really is and many if not most soon find out.

Dashford
14-10-2012, 12:06
just heard the '' I'd rather be poor in the sunshine'' line so often its untrue. The reality is far from the dream. Many if not most move here without a clue what being poor really is and many if not most soon find out.
Sorry I should of explained better. I'd rather have food, water and happiness rather than a big house big car and such. But I understand what your saying and I know it won't be easy. Thankyou for your honest advice and I assure you I've listened and taken it all on board. Sorry if I started preaching I'm just very passionate about the whole thing :) thankyou again for your honesty.

amanda
14-10-2012, 13:05
hello dashford i do hope all goes well for you on your attempt to come over but think very hard first, you dont speak spanish your poor children going to some strange school not knowing the langauge, schools over here full to capacity, so no extra staff to help your children no health care until you have a job with a contract for you and your children, the wages dont compare to back in the uk its not cheap to live here, work is none avilable i know my husband speaks spanish and english and has so many skills back up by certificates and studys i and my husband thought about it long and hard before we came back to tenerife and the first thought are for your children, we waited until ours well settled indeed the youngest being 24yrs old they are first all the time just a thought from me my husband is canarian by the way

kiwiphil
14-10-2012, 13:48
Dashford, if you're serious then get stuck into learning Spanish BEFORE you get here. This will separate you from the holiday makers who ask around for a job in the hope of extending their holiday.

chifleta
14-10-2012, 14:11
Yeah yeah I get it, I'm the tool lol :(

Well that's alright, because your comment was the only part of this thread so far that made me laugh out loud, so well done :-D

Personally I think everyone is old enough and ugly enough to make their own mistakes, whether over here or in Timbuktu, so live and let live... if they c**k it up, and it all goes wrong, well next time they'll maybe think a bit more on it before they jump in two feet first.... or not.

I came over here with not a PENNY or PESETA in my pocket, nothing, nada, zilch (just my two suitcases with my worldly possessions), and on the basis that my Spanish boyfriend would support me initially (i'll point out also that he didn't have a job to come back to here as he'd left it to come over to UK to live with me for a few months - and of the time we were "together" we'd actually only seen each other for an interspersed total of 3 weeks over a 4 months period and had literally been living together for only 1 month in UK - so not a clever/stable/long term relationship right? Was I a fool? yes.... did it work out? well the regulars know the answer to that one :-D .... am I gloating? yes.... will everyone have a happy ending? NAHHHHHH..... but it's not all negative whingy whingy grumble oh woe is me........you have to give it a go.

Do I think people should think twice before moving over? yes, obviously... but if they don't, well that's not my problem...

The main unfortunate negative thing I learnt whilst working where I did for quite a few years, is that the couples that are moving over here because they want to try "repair" their bad relationship and want to make a "new start" are just delaying the inevitable outcome.... The Tenerife Syndrome we used to call it.....if you've got maritable problems, moving here will not solve it.

maritable? wow, i've just invented a new word.... que pasa?

classic :crylaughing:

Dashford
14-10-2012, 14:19
I have no wife or children. I wouldn't be so bold for such a move if I had and I promise I've thought lots and researched tonnes. mi gran Espaņol isnt pero im obteniendo un poco mejor una tratando de aprender rápido :) thanks again everyone for keeping my feet on the ground and offering your sound advice for free x

tracy hampshire
14-10-2012, 17:00
IMHO, if you have nothing to lose & it is your dream to come over here then go for it, thats what i did 3 1/2 years ago, things have been far from easy but donīt regret a minute of it, would do exactly the same again, better to have tried than live regretting you didnīt try, best of luck hope you make a great success of it :)

cainaries
14-10-2012, 17:47
Well, I'm feeling very embarrassed now about my earlier sarky post. Part of the 'forum' part of the forum is that none of us actually know each other. I know this isn't true for everyone but it might well be true for the majority on here. Yes, the forum is for information first and foremost. I confess I took Tom & Sharon's original post as just a bit of a light-hearted grumble that people come on here and post their story and then ask for advice when they could just say ... please could you tell me where I can find out about xxx?

And I don't know about anyone else but our utilities bills go up in leaps and bounds every few months so anyone imagining they won't be using much electricity because it's warm and they will be out and about all the time might like to know that the increases are loaded on to the standing charges more than they are on to consumption.

So, a more serious question. What is cheaper in Tenerife apart from beer and fags?

tracy hampshire
14-10-2012, 18:13
Well, I'm feeling very embarrassed now about my earlier sarky post. Part of the 'forum' part of the forum is that none of us actually know each other. I know this isn't true for everyone but it might well be true for the majority on here. Yes, the forum is for information first and foremost. I confess I took Tom & Sharon's original post as just a bit of a light-hearted grumble that people come on here and post their story and then ask for advice when they could just say ... please could you tell me where I can find out about xxx?

And I don't know about anyone else but our utilities bills go up in leaps and bounds every few months so anyone imagining they won't be using much electricity because it's warm and they will be out and about all the time might like to know that the increases are loaded on to the standing charges more than they are on to consumption.

So, a more serious question. What is cheaper in Tenerife apart from beer and fags? canīt really answer that one as i was a carer before i left the uk so didnīt really pay any bills but my nextdoor neighbour who is on a pension is selling up to move over here, she says she canīt afford another winter after this one in the uk, she knows the costs here because she stays here 4 months a year, but she says the cost of living is rising all the time in the uk, plus i think it is the heating bills that make the uk so expensive people who live in the north where i did have had there heating on since september, so at that rate it will be on for 6 months, i remember my mums gas bills were over 300 pouds a quarter & she only had gas heating , so maybe that is the crippling difference ?

cainaries
14-10-2012, 19:09
canīt really answer that one as i was a carer before i left the uk so didnīt really pay any bills but my nextdoor neighbour who is on a pension is selling up to move over here, she says she canīt afford another winter after this one in the uk, she knows the costs here because she stays here 4 months a year, but she says the cost of living is rising all the time in the uk, plus i think it is the heating bills that make the uk so expensive people who live in the north where i did have had there heating on since september, so at that rate it will be on for 6 months, i remember my mums gas bills were over 300 pouds a quarter & she only had gas heating , so maybe that is the crippling difference ?

That probably would still be higher, you're right. And council tax is another factor someone mentioned to me today when we were having one of those 'is it really cheaper' conversations over lunch in the garden. As they pointed out, would probably be a bit cold for a salad lunch in the garden if we had been in the UK but would it have cost more? As you say, yes, if you needed the heating on.

Medanoman
14-10-2012, 19:12
So, a more serious question. What is cheaper in Tenerife apart from beer and fags?

Medicine seems cheaper even with a NHS prescripton. I buy inhalers here over the counter at 3 euros each. In the uk rules have been changed so that you do not need to get a prescription any more. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18936197

Asda charge 7 quid for 2 according to that article. They only cost 3 euros each here, ( Thats 2 euros 67 more expensive) I have noticed that many medicines bought direct here were cheaper than the ones in the uk bought under prescription.

I also believe that there is a booming market in not only in Fags and booze, but drugs bought direct over the counter here. They shouldn't do it. ( Only ever found one chemist on the whole of tenerife who would not sell me that drug. All the others turn a blind eye.) But the ability to stock up and not have to constantly stand in line to get a new prescription creates a very nice little market for chemists here.

chifleta
14-10-2012, 19:21

I gave up heavy drinking when I moved here - and I gave up cigs 6 years ago LOL so don't even know the price of those any more either.

I've been here a long time so couldn't answer where is cheaper.... I do know when I go to UK I spend a LOT of money, but that's just me thinking "ohh bargain" shop shop shop, but it probably isn't really that much cheaper nowadays for shoes/clothes. I always find the bus fares in UK pretty shocking.

cainaries
14-10-2012, 19:24

Medicine seems cheaper even with a NHS prescripton. I buy inhalers here over the counter at 3 euros each. In the uk rules have been changed so that you do not need to get a prescription any more. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18936197

Asda charge 7 quid for 2 according to that article. They only cost 3 euros each here, ( Thats 2 euros 67 more expensive) I have noticed that many medicines bought direct here were cheaper than the ones in the uk bought under prescription.

I also believe that there is a booming market in not only in Fags and booze, but drugs bought direct over the counter here. They shouldn't do it. ( Only ever found one chemist on the whole of tenerife who would not sell me that drug. All the others turn a blind eye.) But the ability to stock up and not have to constantly stand in line to get a new prescription creates a very nice little market for chemists here.

I'm an OAP as you might have guessed from the miserabilist approach earlier. Here I have to pay 10% of the cost of my medicines whereas I think (but am very much open to correction) that I would get free medicines in the UK. So far the 10% charges have not exactly broken the bank but who knows what is round the corner. Haven't experience of what you mention though.

I gave up heavy drinking when I moved here - and I gave up cigs 6 years ago LOL so don't even know the price of those any more either.

I've been here a long time so couldn't answer where is cheaper.... I do know when I go to UK I spend a LOT of money, but that's just me thinking "ohh bargain" shop shop shop, but it probably isn't really that much cheaper nowadays for shoes/clothes. I always find the bus fares in UK pretty shocking.

As far as I'm concerned at least the clothes in the UK FIT!!! (But that was another thread). So, like you, I shop shop shop there.

Friends who come here to La Palma tend to complain about the cost of food in the supermarkets but we also know that this is more expensive than it is in Tenerife. But, now, of course, we have Lidl. Didn't seem much cheaper. wonder if stuff in La Palma Lidl is more expensive than in Tenerife Lidl. I am so off topic now. Sorry.

Sundowner
15-10-2012, 12:26
Tom & Sharon........your John & Janet post made me smile:tiphat:

"Your 3 years on.....The reality" was IMHO one of the best and most informative posts ever!

To people who are thinking of moving to Tenerife.......the most important qualities you will need are "Grit and Determination" if you have them you have a chance of succeeding with your move!!

It will also help if you have sense of humour;)

This is just my opinion and does not guarantee success............

russell
04-12-2012, 22:56
hi every body (its that driving instructor again) intresting to see the point of cost of living on utillities even more so that they put a hire charge on the standing charge and not usage so my question is what other charges would i have to pay in tenerife in comparison to uk eg poll tax/ water rates/gas if anything really interested to know thank you.

pbasonuk
05-12-2012, 16:03
This thread fills me with utter dread. To think that a family with no real solid skill set, prospects, security or money would move abroad and survive just reeks of stupidity. I bet they are the first ones to moan in UK when the polish or indians take the lower paid jobs too. But its ok to go to Tenerife and take the locals basic jobs???? No, it isnt.

I am moving over in 2013, I've been planning it for well over a year, make frequent visits to the island, we (my wife and 2 young kids) are staying at the inlaws in Roque Del Conde area for 2 months while we find a decent place to live in the area. I have saved Ģ20k for emergencies, I have a business that does well which I can do from home over phone and internet and I will hopefully employ 2 LOCAL people to help me at some point (THAT is how you contribute to the local economy), I will be paying spanish tax etc etc etc....

Now I see this as quite a rock solid secure, foolproof plan to make sure we dont fall on our arses within the 1st 6 months and I am ABSOLUTELY ****TING BRICKS so I just dont get how any family could ever move to the 'Reef' without a serious plan. It actually angers me to be honest.

Tom & Sharon
13-05-2013, 19:16
While the silly season seems to be upon us again, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.............................