PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy Sudafed in Tenerife

Zara
19-06-2011, 11:12
Since being in the UK I have had lots of sinus problems and Sudafed seems to work the best from what I have taken. Is it possible to buy these at home or should I be bringing some back with me?

Thanks in advance.

onelegnofeet
19-06-2011, 11:28
DONT KNOW .......................but if you have a "POUNDWORLD" near where your staying ,they sell them and are the best price per box around imo ............guess what a POUND a box !!!And "Not to be sniffed At" ....hope this helps if you cant get them back hope

Jackie
19-06-2011, 11:29
Since being in the UK I have had lots of sinus problems and Sudafed seems to work the best from what I have taken. Is it possible to buy these at home or should I be bringing some back with me?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about Sudafed but I use Sinutab for my sinuses and I am unable to get them here. I am suffering big time with them at the moment and can't wait until hubby turns up this week with my list of medicines that I can't get here. Although there is probably something similar that they sell here I find that nothing works as well for me. I would bring a supply with you just in case.

murph
19-06-2011, 11:47
Not sure about Sudafed but I use Sinutab for my sinuses and I am unable to get them here. I am suffering big time with them at the moment and can't wait until hubby turns up this week with my list of medicines that I can't get here. Although there is probably something similar that they sell here I find that nothing works as well for me. I would bring a supply with you just in case.

Are these not UK Branded products? Surely the same manufacturers make the same product but brand it differently in Spain. I would suggest finding out who makes them and then searching in Tenerife.

Even if that is not the case, there must be something that does the same job.

Not to trivialise Zara's condition, but it does remind me of when we first went abroad with our first baby about 18 years ago.

As i saw the immense size of the cases, I could not help myself but to look inside.

What did I find...? Yep, tons of disposable nappies, which begged the question of Mrs M, 'do you really think they don't have these in Spain??

We still took half a dozen ''just in case'' ! :idea:

doreen
19-06-2011, 12:06
I'd bring them with you, Zara ... and then maybe call to a Pharmacy here with a box to ask what is the local variety ... and let us know :)

onelegnofeet
19-06-2011, 12:16
Just sorted out a box leaflet ....Sudafed ,Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride ,made by Macneil Consumer health care ,which is a part of Johnson and johnson's .
Available in Uk ,Us ,Austrailia,New Zealand ,Canada and Ireland ..................no mention of europe or more importantly Tenerife .

Jackie
19-06-2011, 12:23
Murph I have on occasions taken the 'box' of different medicines to the Pharmacia by the Port in Los Cristianos. There is an English woman who works in there and she has checked whether there is an equivalent here, on most occasions the answer is no but there is something similar. Like Zara if I find something that works then that is the one I want not something similar :)

with cheese
19-06-2011, 13:06
Look the active ingredient up, ie. Sudafed ,Pseudoephedrine , then tap into the spanish search engine.
This should give you medicines using the same ingredient.
It is the active that will be doing the job.

slodgedad
19-06-2011, 13:15
The active ingredient in the UK version, as it differs around the world, is Xilometazoline (Xilometazolina in Spanish).

Mention this in a Spanish farmacia and there may be a product here with the same active ingredient..

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylometazoline)

with cheese
19-06-2011, 13:25
There you go and I dare say if you use this advice and the spelling is different a search engine or a translator will adjust.

cainaries
19-06-2011, 13:36
Zara - try Spanish stuff called Mucosan Retard which I infinitely prefer to Sudafed as it doesn't give me any side effects at all. You can get it in tablets or powders and I think it's brilliant. Not expensive though can't remember exact price. You don't need a prescription for it. I take it to England with me.

Suej
19-06-2011, 15:35
Thanks Cainaries!!! I was trying to think of the name of this drug...my friend said it worked great too when he was suffering while here on hols with sinus problems, I remember we all laughed at the "retard" bit which I think means slow release! I´d bring some Sudafed back just in case though, obviously check expiry date.

with cheese
19-06-2011, 15:42
Zara - try Spanish stuff called Mucosan Retard which I infinitely prefer to Sudafed as it doesn't give me any side effects at all. You can get it in tablets or powders and I think it's brilliant. Not expensive though can't remember exact price. You don't need a prescription for it. I take it to England with me.

Isn't that a member of the old forum, lol.
If you do a listing of European drugs for Sinus this one is rated very high in Mimms.

Zara
19-06-2011, 16:34

Thanks guys and gals, I went to the chemist today and bought some Sudafed to get me through. I was offered Sinutabs which according to the pharmacist are the same only they also contain paracetamol.

When in Tenerife I can get cortisone tablets for just €2 for 30 which work immediately, but I feel you can take too much cortisone so having found something that works reasonably well (not quite as good) felt I should change over. Needless to say when I asked here the pharmacist nearly fell off her chair !!

I will bring some Sudafed home and show the box to the chemist but the 'retard' sounds good.

onelegnofeet
19-06-2011, 19:13
but the 'retard' sounds good.

Shucks ......thanks for the compliment !x

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2011, 13:34
I have tried Morrison's and Tesco's versions of sudafed and found them just as good and cheaper!

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 13:51
I have tried Morrison's and Tesco's versions of sudafed and found them just as good and cheaper!

And she got Club Points ..........nah!nah!

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2011, 13:55
absolutamente - 5p off a litre of petrol and 25 extra points when I buy Utterly Butterly

with cheese
20-06-2011, 13:55
they are called Placebofed

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 13:57
absolutamente - 5p off a litre of petrol and 25 extra points when I buy Utterly Butterly

Utterly ......................awful !!!!!

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2011, 15:20
Utterly ......................awful !!!!!

yup - I'm a Lurpak kinda girl