PDA

View Full Version : Television Is the UKTV signal still ok?

candy2411
16-10-2012, 12:39
I seem to remember seeing a thread a few weeks ago mentioning that aTV signal (BBC I think) was going to be unavailable from 15th Oct, can't find the thread sorry

just wondering if there has been any change so far? anyone know?

thanks

anegib
16-10-2012, 17:08
I had heard that as well but so far so good, still have UK television.

BoPeep
16-10-2012, 18:10
We have C.S.T.I. and all is fine!

In The Sun
16-10-2012, 18:57
It is all due to happen on the 15th November not October

slodgedad
16-10-2012, 19:44
This thread, and the other, still confuses me.

No one has yet explained whether or not they are referring to Sky (obtained by your own dish) or the illegal rebroadcast systems

tfs_longlets
16-10-2012, 20:44
One of our former members who has since been banned, but seemed to know a lot about this sort of thing, said that when the change of satellite occurred (he forecast early 2013) then the signal would not be received in the Canary Islands, even with a 10 metre dish.

He linked to a picture that showed the footprint for UK satellite TV only covering the UK and not even reaching the Orkneys in the north and barely covering the north coast of France to the South.

It is assumed, that at the moment, the redistributed signals are currently downloaded from satellite, and therefore a possible problem if & when this satellite coverage alters.

However, there are now alternative ways for residents to receive TV via internet, and I do not know for sure, but assume it would not be a problem to redistribute these signals via the existing Guaza-La Gomera systems as they are completely independent of the satellite systems. I am ready to be corrected.

slodgedad
16-10-2012, 20:56
One of our former members who has since been banned, but seemed to know a lot about this sort of thing, said that when the change of satellite occurred (he forecast early 2013) then the signal would not be received in the Canary Islands, even with a 10 metre dish.

He linked to a picture that showed the footprint for UK satellite TV only covering the UK and not even reaching the Orkneys in the north and barely covering the north coast of France to the South.

It is assumed, that at the moment, the redistributed signals are currently downloaded from satellite, and therefore a possible problem if & when this satellite coverage alters.

However, there are now alternative ways for residents to receive TV via internet, and I do not know for sure, but assume it would not be a problem to redistribute these signals via the existing Guaza-La Gomera systems as they are completely independent of the satellite systems. I am ready to be corrected.
ri
I daresay there are. How legal is it though to charge for a redistributed signal?

timmylish
16-10-2012, 23:47
The forthcoming problem arises out of the change of satellite which Sky will use from the middle of November. The footprint will change in such a way as to lose connection to the standard UK channels, like the BBC and ITV,s various channels which ex-pats on Tenerife currently watch, free, but will not be able to "see" these channels unless they have access to a 3+ mtr dish or alternative sources. Such people should be very careful what they will spend their money on for a service hitherto they got for nothing!

Davethepubsinger
23-10-2012, 12:21
A friend told me yesterday that whilst talking to his UKTV provider it emerged that the Astra satellite which, I believe, provides the UKTV channels currently received by sattelite in Tenerife, is due to cease transmitting on November 15th. Can anyone in the know confirm or contradict this as I am sure many expats may be affected by this if true.

TIS
23-10-2012, 12:52
see paul novak's posting on Facebook. He has been advising people about this for a few months. We have had it confirmed that some companies are refusing to install new large satellite dishes until it has been proved that the signal cannot be picked up.

We understand that the anticipated date is mid November 2012 for the signal to be lost.

However, Europa (922-738-418) provide ADSL and IPTV which is guaranteed to continue working. So come and see the the system live in our offices 9am until 5pm Monday to Friday and once signed up with Europa you will be eligible for EXCLUSIVE discounts on insurance products via TIS.

Medanoman
23-10-2012, 16:39
I use and can recommend the free Filmon service , http://www.filmon.com/#LIVE its great. I have it installed on iphone , tablet and the pc's in the house feeding the 40 inch. if the standard free service isn't good enough the full uk channel package is only 15 dollars a month for hd streaming.

barryk
23-10-2012, 17:58
Does anyone know if this change of satellite to Astra 2f will affect the csti system and other re-broadcasters

Regards
Barryk

Harmonicaman
23-10-2012, 20:21
This is what someone on our forum has to say about it...

..."It was announced on 11 July that the next satellite intended for the UK market, the Astra 2F, will be launched on 14 September. It will replace the Astra 1N which was itself a temporary replacement for the ageing Astra 2D. The 2D had to be taken out of service ahead of schedule when its fuel supply was about to run out. Satellites don't need fuel to power themselves - they use vast solar panels for that - but they need it for occasional positional maneouvering to make sure they stay in the right position in space. A small amount of fuel also has to be retained at the end of the satellite's life to boost it into a 'graveyard' orbit where it won't affect other operational vehicles.

The 1N had originally been built for the continental European market but was diverted to the Astra 2 fleet at fairly short notice to provide temporary cover until the 2D's longterm replacement could be launched. That's the 2F which is now being prepared for its launch in 2 months time.

The 1N took nearly 4 months from its launch to the point at which it entered full commercial service so on that basis, the 2F could be operational by the end of the year or very shortly after. Initially UK audiences will see little if any change. No new channels will be added immediately and Sky and freesat receivers will be adjusted automatically for any frequency changes (though free-to-air receivers might need to be retuned manually). The priority will be to move everything off the 1N so that it can be relocated to its originally intended position with the Astra 1 fleet. However, two more satellites are also being built for the UK market. These are the Astra 2E which will be launched sometime in 2013 and the Astra 2G which is currently scheduled for the first quarter of 2014. They will provide extra narrow-beam capacity and hopefully make many more channels, including HD channels, available free-to-air.

The people who probably will see a change at the end of 2012 are expats. The Astra 2D had a fairly tight beam focused on the Brtitish Isles, which restricted reception in mainland Europe. Many expats were pleasantly surprised when the Astra 1N was launched and proceeded to light up the continent! Unfortunately, that happy state of affairs is unlikely to survive the Astra 2F deployment. The 2F (together with its siblings, the 2E and 2G) has been designed specifically for the UK market whose broadcasters desperately want satellite signals that hit only the British Isles. Please don't contact me to ask what can be done to change their minds; the arguments were played out years ago and the situation will NOT change. Therefore it is likely that expats (and of course visiting caravanners) who have had a temporary reprieve thanks to the 1N will lose their satellite signals again in 2013..."

chocaholic
23-10-2012, 21:41
I phoned CSTI and told him I had heard these rumours on the internet he did a pfft as if he had heard it a thousand times and said 100% their system will notgo off WOOHOO

slodgedad
23-10-2012, 21:52
If an illegal rebroadcast site is internet based then you should be OK.

Why not try DIY?

Vortex Wake
23-10-2012, 22:17
Why not try DIY?

Tenerife Forum Television - what a great idea Slodge !

Todays news is read by Henry.

Tony Carpenter as Jeremy Kyle ,

Eastenters featuring all the disgruntled expats ....... etc etc

slodgedad
23-10-2012, 22:23
Tenerife Forum Television - what a great idea Slodge !

Todays news is read by Henry.

Tony Carpenter as Jeremy Kyle ,

Eastenters featuring all the disgruntled expats ....... etc etc

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Sorry about the misunderstanding but, if you are going to have to pay for an internet based TV service, then why not get your own_and save the charge_

timmylish
23-10-2012, 22:24
No matter which internet based UK TV system, Europa or my VPN for example, we who have had a firm belief in receiving tv in this way, will NEVER be disappointed. Long live modernity!

Foz
24-10-2012, 20:39
I heard a rumour today (fingers crossed it is one of those stories that is bound to scare but has no substance whatsoever!!). I was told that the satelite which currently transmits all Uk Tv channels to the southern European countries was being replaced in a few weeks time with one that would concentrate it's "footprint" solely on Northern European countries. Meaning that the canaries would lose all Uk tv ....... does anyone know anything about this?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry ... I hadn't found these posts before I asked the question!!!

I am right in thinking then that if I had a 3m dish in my garden I wouldn't lose any sky channels?

timmylish
24-10-2012, 23:04
I heard a rumour today (fingers crossed it is one of those stories that is bound to scare but has no substance whatsoever!!). I was told that the satelite which currently transmits all Uk Tv channels to the southern European countries was being replaced in a few weeks time with one that would concentrate it's "footprint" solely on Northern European countries. Meaning that the canaries would lose all Uk tv ....... does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry ... I hadn't found these posts before I asked the question!!!

I am right in thinking then that if I had a 3m dish in my garden I wouldn't lose any sky channels?

The answer to your question at the end is NO. Why, because until the whereabouts of the new footprint actually is determined no-one knows exactly how far off the Canaries the beam will be. As I,ve said before, Cape Verde seem secure!

Canarian Weekly
02-11-2012, 13:10
THE new Worten store has opened in Los Olivos Adeje. The new 800 m2 electrical store offered a special promotion for the first 50 customers. Situated in Avenida Barranco de Las Torres, nº 21 the Adeje store is the third in the Canaries, with one in Las Chafiras,Tenerifeand the other located in Gran Canaria. Worten [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/worten-open-business-adeje/)

waverunner
02-11-2012, 13:24
Does anybody know what is happening to the BBC box transmission for the forthcoming year as its that re - new time, dont want to fork our if its going? Loads of stories going round about satailite being switched off,new ones appearing and the great internet debate. Dont want to spend out for another year only to have it turned off in a few weeks. Have spoken to our provider and they seem vauge! rolleyes2:

candy2411
02-11-2012, 13:32
I'm in the same situation, my renewal is due sometime this month and it may only be 90 euros but I don't want to pay it to find its worthless.

Guess I'll leave it a few weeks and see what happens, think I've read somewhere the satellite signal will go off on 15th so not long to wait.

chocaholic
02-11-2012, 14:18
Who is your provider? Ours is csti
We are getting the message on the box to say we need to take it in
I did speak to csti and he said 100% that his system will not go off.
But dontfeel like paying 90 euros if it doesgo off!
I cant see csti taking everybodys 90 euros for it to go off two weeks later as there would be riots at their office
Nobody includingme can afford to waste 90 euros at the moment.
Perhaps if it doesgo off they will change their system to go through internet
Surely csti dont wan t to lose all the 90 euros either

YOUNG GOLFER
02-11-2012, 14:25
Well it would be nice if some company did come on here to explain what's going on if anything to give owners piece of mind.......I have a BBC Box and I won't be paying again.
Got all mine through the internet and works great.,

TenerifeTeddy
02-11-2012, 14:27
Who is your provider? Ours is csti
We are getting the message on the box to say we need to take it in
I did speak to csti and he said 100% that his system will not go off.
But dontfeel like paying 90 euros if it doesgo off!
I cant see csti taking everybodys 90 euros for it to go off two weeks later as there would be riots at their office
Nobody includingme can afford to waste 90 euros at the moment.
Perhaps if it doesgo off they will change their system to go through internet
Surely csti dont wan t to lose all the 90 euros either

Hmmm. Good luck with that:wow:, It's not for no reason that they have a disclaimer saying that they take no responsibility for signal receptionrolleyes2:

I remember about 3 years ago when they offered everyone 2 extra sports channels for an additional €30 per year, only for them to dissappear 2 weeks later after the Guardia raided all the places removing the Sky cards and they were forced to find another signal they could "licence" :wink2:(which didn't have the extra channels) no one got a refund then. it was then that we bailed out.

delderek
02-11-2012, 15:11
This is from a friend of mine on a complex with a 3m dish: It would appear no matter how large the dish, the new satellite is not visible in the Canaries. So the re-broadcasters can not use their large dishes. But I'm sure they are looking at other methods of bringing in a signal, as too much revenue to lose.

The Astra 2A, 2B, and 2D satellites, which were launched between 1998 and 2000, have broadcast the core English channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Channel 4). They had expected lifespans of between 12 and 15 years and are due to be, decommissioned by the 15th November 2012.

The new satellites, Astra 1N and Astra 2F, will not provide the above channels for most of Europe nor the Canary Islands.

other channels which will be lost BBC News 24, CBBC (and BBC3), Cbeebies(and BBC4), ITV2, ITV4, Film 4, More 4 +1, 5 USA and 5* (together with the +1 channels) will not be available

slodgedad
02-11-2012, 15:25
This is from a friend of mine on a complex with a 3m dish: It would appear no matter how large the dish, the new satellite is not visible in the Canaries. So the re-broadcasters can not use their large dishes. But I'm sure they are looking at other methods of bringing in a signal, as too much revenue to lose.

The Astra 2A, 2B, and 2D satellites, which were launched between 1998 and 2000, have broadcast the core English channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Channel 4). They had expected lifespans of between 12 and 15 years and are due to be, decommissioned by the 15th November 2012.

The new satellites, Astra 1N and Astra 2F, will not provide the above channels for most of Europe nor the Canary Islands.

other channels which will be lost BBC News 24, CBBC (and BBC3), Cbeebies(and BBC4), ITV2, ITV4, Film 4, More 4 +1, 5 USA and 5* (together with the +1 channels) will not be available

If that's the complete list then it should hardly effect those with a small dish as we don't receive them anyway.

TF1
02-11-2012, 17:46
I believe that the operators are preparing to stream in the services, so I wouldn´t worry too much.

candy2411
02-11-2012, 18:25
Get mine from Astra in Garanana, Silencio.Been with them for 5-6 years now with no problems whatsoever, I'll be calling in to see them when I'm over next week and will report back.

delderek
02-11-2012, 19:43
I believe that the operators are preparing to stream in the services, so I wouldn´t worry too much.

That would seem to be the answer, but good enough signal quality for large screen tv's could be very problematical, as even HD streamed channels, are only half the quality of real HD, but I'm sure a lot of people are working on what to do next, but all should become clear in 13 days.

Vortex Wake
02-11-2012, 20:35
That would seem to be the answer, but good enough signal quality for large screen tv's could be very problematical, as even HD streamed channels, are only half the quality of real HD, but I'm sure a lot of people are working on what to do next, but all should become clear in 13 days.

But don't the re-broadcasters in Tenerife use analogue transmitters capable of little more that 3Mhz video bandwidth (like VHS video quality) in 3:4 (NOT widescreen) ratio anyway i.e. less than a digital standard definition signal?

slodgedad
02-11-2012, 21:19
I can't see the point anymore of paying for a rebroadcast signal that is going to have to be internet based when you can do it yourself.

delderek
02-11-2012, 21:53
Agree. But I believe in certain areas its impossible to get broadband..callao for instance.

tfs_longlets
02-11-2012, 21:53
I can't see the point anymore of paying for a rebroadcast signal that is going to have to be internet based when you can do it yourself.
I agree if you live here permanently.
I think the many customers that queue outside CSTI on an annual basis to renew there 'license fee' do not want to commit to about €40 per month for a broadband connection, and then up to €30 per month for IPTV when 5 channels, however they are broadcast, for €90 a year, are enough.
And this, from someone who got rid of the La Gomera system in favour of Internet TV.

slodgedad
02-11-2012, 21:58
I agree if you live here permanently.
I think the many customers that queue outside CSTI on an annual basis to renew there 'license fee' do not want to commit to about €40 per month for a broadband connection, and then up to €30 per month for IPTV when 5 channels, however they are broadcast, for €90 a year, are enough.
And this, from someone who got rid of the La Gomera system in favour of Internet TV.

Point taken.......

SuzyQ
03-11-2012, 00:24
I darent go to internet based tv, we cant even watch youtube without buffering. The broadband in el medano is from the dark ages :(

YOUNG GOLFER
03-11-2012, 00:31
I darent go to internet based tv, we cant even watch youtube without buffering. The broadband in el medano is from the dark ages :(

Mine was like yours last year but I got to know a forum member who can help with that......it's loads faster now.
All my tv is from the internet and both me and the wife are very happy with it.
This member is banned from here but PM I will give you his number he seems to know everything when it comes satalites etc.

SuzyQ
03-11-2012, 00:53
Please PM me details then YG, it seems to me that it is just not up to scratch over here, but could be wrong and always open to suggestions.
Our internet went off a couple of years ago. Telefonica came out and i had to get community to let them into the junction box. Never seen anything like it, a spaghetti junction of old thin brittle wires. Surprised to be able to get internet at all, lol.

Pets@Home
03-11-2012, 01:18
Well had CSTI system now since 2005 and Premier system since 2006.
They are both non commital when u ring, and WHY is CSTI advertising
for signal change now, instead of December, if the switch off is the
15th November, I for one will wait for the outcome before I pay for another
year, Premiers is rented so won't pay their rental if it goes. They say if it
goes down, they can replace with internet somehow at a great cost to them.

Lets all wait and see x

Megaloo
03-11-2012, 01:25
Mine was like yours last year but I got to know a forum member who can help with that......it's loads faster now.
All my tv is from the internet and both me and the wife are very happy with it.
This member is banned from here but PM I will give you his number he seems to know everything when it comes satalites etc.

May I ask are you with Movistar and got better speed with them? Who have you got your internet TV with? I cannot think of that unless I get my speed increased though.

tenerife_photo
11-11-2012, 17:22
There is an alternative to all this..
Cant reveal much but we are working on a solution that involves a 1.3m dish that gives u BBC1, BBC2, ITV and channel 4
so far it looks promising and it means that everyone who already has a 2.4-3m dish can simply use that

tenerife_photo
11-11-2012, 17:26
There is an alternative to all this..
Cant reveal much but we are working on a solution that involves a 1.3m dish that gives u BBC1, BBC2, ITV and channel 4
so far it looks promising and it means that everyone who already has a 2.4-3m dish can simply use that.

by the way, once the signal is gone you would need a 4.5m dish to receive the same amount of channels as before on a 3m dish.

Harmonicaman
11-11-2012, 17:30
Latest I've heard is signal switch-off will be 22 November.

SuzyQ
15-11-2012, 00:46

So, as the 15th looms, will the Brit chanels disappear in the next 24 hours?

chocaholic
15-11-2012, 08:03
Still on here on big community dish and csti box

BoPeep
15-11-2012, 10:14
We have no volume on BBC1 all else ok.

SuzyQ
15-11-2012, 18:52
Ours is still on. Maybe it was a rumour....

garlicbread
15-11-2012, 19:50
Ours is still on. Maybe it was a rumour....

Rumours in Tenerife???? How very dare you suggest such a thing:wink::wink:

Harmonicaman
15-11-2012, 19:59
Latest estimated time for switchover is 20th November...

Tickey
15-11-2012, 21:08
Latest estimated time for switchover is 20th November...J

What is your souce Harmonicaman?

Harmonicaman
15-11-2012, 22:26
J

What is your souce Harmonicaman?

Satellite guy who got banned from here.

garlicbread
16-11-2012, 14:11
All off in Playa San Juan (La Gomera transmitter) today

tfs1
17-11-2012, 19:51
anyone else lost all of their UK TV channels mid morning today (and still all down) ?

Harmonicaman
17-11-2012, 20:27
Astra 2f isn't in position yet, so it's not that.

garlicbread
17-11-2012, 20:56
All OK in Playa San Juan (La Gomera transmitter) all day today (OH just been watching "Strictly")

Megaloo
17-11-2012, 21:08
We could not watch Strictly but think it was due to cloud up in Oratava other stations Ok . We do sometimes lose it if weather is bad.

Harmonicaman
17-11-2012, 21:39
Satellite astra 2f is currently at longitude 31-52E (at time of posting) and should be in position on Monday at final longitude 28.2E to replace Astra 1N.

see here (http://www.n2yo.com/?s=38778|37775)

Astra 2F is one with red arrow next to it.

Harmonicaman
18-11-2012, 10:50
Possible footprint and dish sizes for receiving from Astra 2F...Sat and PC Guy (http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2f_satellite_reception_footprint_map_uk_tv_s pain.php)

delderek
18-11-2012, 12:03
Possible footprint and dish sizes for receiving from Astra 2F...Sat and PC Guy (http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2f_satellite_reception_footprint_map_uk_tv_s pain.php)

That really is an informative site!

garlicbread
18-11-2012, 14:40
it seems that the astra 2f will have more or less the same pan european footprint as astra 1n.
They say that once 2f is in position they will simply transfer the same frequencies over to it.
it's current position is 30.67 degrees east. (Sunday 18th November 11,57 am), so a few days away before any test transmissions )

But anyway according to the Mayan calendar, the world will end on the 21st of December 2012, so it don't matter really !! :whistle:

chocaholic
18-11-2012, 16:09
what do you mean it will have the same signal are we losing it here or not!!!

Harmonicaman
18-11-2012, 16:23
Going by the latest info from SES Astra (owners of Astra 2F), it seems a 1.2m dish will be required in the Canary Islands. (Have a look at the second last "footprint" photo on the link I gave).

delderek
18-11-2012, 19:32
Going by the latest info from SES Astra (owners of Astra 2F), it seems a 1.2m dish will be required in the Canary Islands. (Have a look at the second last "footprint" photo on the link I gave).

Yes but that is the European beam. Will the UK 5 channels be on that beam, or the UK beam only

Harmonicaman
18-11-2012, 21:43
Yes but that is the European beam. Will the UK 5 channels be on that beam, or the UK beam only

I've no idea what channels will be delivered Del, I just know it will need a 1.2m dish to receive them according to the info on sat and PC guy's site.

seanocelt
19-11-2012, 04:24
Haw c-moan you. Typical Fifer, keeping it close to his chest, get it telt!

satandpcguy
19-11-2012, 07:45

It is pretty certian that BBC ITV C4 and Fives will be on the UK beam. As the maps show there is simply NO data about this beams reception in Spain, or Tenerife.
Until the satellite is in positi0ns (expected late today or early tomorrow), and starts to transmit chanenls (later this wee - Friday...?) then actual reception of this UK beam on 2F is unknown and pure guesswork.

But the Pan European beam looks like a 1-1.2m dish should be ok to receive whichever channels move onto that beam...

Pets@Home
19-11-2012, 14:12
Its all getting very confusing, so BEAM me up Scotty, STILL, live nr Playa de San Juan, and still have it, so when it goes, will refer to ones laptop to watch, until it comes back on again x

malvasia
20-11-2012, 11:36
Satandpcguy, your continued input would be very welcome as the rumours here are so confusing.
Do you know when the actual broadcasts will start ??

Thanks.

satandpcguy
20-11-2012, 17:31
Satandpcguy, your continued input would be very welcome as the rumours here are so confusing.
Do you know when the actual broadcasts will start ??

Thanks.

The satellite has only just today made it to its UK TV location.
We expect a few days of final testing.
The chanenls will move from 1n to 2F.
One "rumour" suggests channels will be moving by Friday...yes this Friday.
Another suggests it may be next week.
And another suggests it may be the first week of december.

garlicbread
20-11-2012, 22:50
It is probably too early to tell, but .......................as at 5pm today
Astra 2F appears to have overshot its intended 28.20 degree position. it's now at 27.67 and still going.

http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/Catalog/catalogID.php?38778

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=38778

Is there a possibility that its operators might just position it at 19 degrees, instead of using extra fuel to move Astra 1N there ?

satandpcguy
21-11-2012, 07:45
The tracking sites do NOT carry real time data. They are calculations based on data which may not be up to date.
So whilst the calcualtion sites may say it has overshot, when the base data used for the calcualtions is update, it will pop back to 28.2.

golf birdie
21-11-2012, 10:19
I have a feeling this thread will be very busy in a couple of days :cheeky:

Harmonicaman
21-11-2012, 19:18
I think the satellite was fitted with inferior brake pads bought from Arfur Dayley Scrap Ltd, which caused it to overshoot it's intended 28.2E position. However, the two tins of Lynx aftershave thrusters are slowly manoeuvring it back in to position...

satandpcguy
21-11-2012, 19:39
It did not overshoot, just those tracking sites were not accurate and using out of date information.
It hjas been in place for a day or so, and SES Astra have issues a pressrelease saying so, and it is ready for operations

Harmonicaman
21-11-2012, 19:43
So the Lynx thrusters worked then?:D

satandpcguy
21-11-2012, 19:50
Or Superman helped position it.... maybe thats why that felix bloke tried going up in the ballon a few weeks ago - some sort of AA man for satellites!!!

seanocelt
21-11-2012, 19:52
"set phasers tae malky" , Chewing the Fat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=bLxLmFhROqY

YOUNG GOLFER
22-11-2012, 20:26
Reading this elsewhere.
So don't shoot the messenger.

TEST REPORTS FROM 3m DISHES IN TENERIFE SHOW TOTAL LOSS OF BRITISH PSB CHANNELS -this is only a test on one channel only.
Also will lead to loss of rebroadcast boxes those with INTERNET TV are not affected
loss could happen by Saturday night.

http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2f.php

Like i said I have read this tonight elsewhere.

Any update I will pass them on.

satandpcguy
22-11-2012, 20:43
Read thu
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/156801-astra-2f-at-28e-at-last/
as that has reception reports from all over, including a few for your neck of the woods....
But yes, it does look "interesting" for your reception...

Harmonicaman
22-11-2012, 22:30
I've just went through all 15 pages of that forum and basically they are still not 100% sure Astra2F is up and running yet. Let me qualify that...they THINK 11.023H might be on Astra 2F as a test just now. (2 channels-BBC Scotland HD & BBC Wales HD), and it seems as if most of central Europe will lose the UK spot beam and MAYBE the Canarys as well. They also reckon it will be the weekend the changeover takes place.

sundownersvince
22-11-2012, 22:44
I dont watch much tele, least of all when on holiday! Just been promoted to a Super Tenerifian I am informed. 250 posts. Hmmmmmm:wink2:

timmylish
23-11-2012, 00:33
Reading this elsewhere.

TEST REPORTS FROM 3m DISHES IN TENERIFE SHOW TOTAL LOSS OF BRITISH PSB CHANNELS -this is only a test on one channel only.
Also will lead to loss of rebroadcast boxes those with INTERNET TV are not affected

Well, this just confirms what myself and a few others having been reporting. So whilst all of this is going on, or not, you still have companies here advertising their various boxes and systems, other than internet based systems of course.

KirstyJay
23-11-2012, 01:09
Reading this elsewhere.

I've merged your thread with an existing one discussing this subject that's 9 pages long ;) :whistle:

seanocelt
23-11-2012, 02:35
Thats you told Stuart!

garlicbread
23-11-2012, 11:21
I should have posted early this morning (at 12.15am) when I was watching BBC 1 HD from Astra 2F with a signal strength of 75 % , no pixilation, on a 2.8m dish.
So either my eyes were’nt working or somebody is mistaken.

technical details......Astra 2F at 11.023 H, SR 23.000, FEC 2/3, DVB-S2 8PSK

Graceylacey
23-11-2012, 15:23
I have just been watching UKTV through what was Miller and is now Premier. It all went off and they switched it onto their internet channels, so only 2 mins without channels!!!!!

I rang them a few weeks ago and that is exactly what they said they would do.

Round of aplause to PREMIER SATELLITE SYSTEMS!!!!! :c2::c2::c2:

barryk
25-11-2012, 08:56
Have any other members tried the test channel (dont think you can do it on a sky box)? ?. It would be useful to read some posts especially in relation to dish sizes being used and other feedback on reception etc

Two reports on Robs satellite tv website do not look encouraging for Tenerife but it would be useful for other feedback before we all rush out and buy internet TV.

It looks like a merry chrismas from the BritishTV companies and Astra SES may be on the way. Wot no corry

Barryk

Suej
25-11-2012, 12:53
I have just been watching UKTV through what was Miller and is now Premier. It all went off and they switched it onto their internet channels, so only 2 mins without channels!!!!!

I rang them a few weeks ago and that is exactly what they said they would do.

Round of aplause to PREMIER SATELLITE SYSTEMS!!!!! :c2::c2::c2:

You're lucky GL! we've had a bad signal since Miller went to Premier! breaks up all the time and often no signal at all! others on our complex are having the same problems but Premier don't want to know!:mad:

barryk
25-11-2012, 17:15
Link to current position in respect of Astra2f and transponder moves

http://www.astra2.org/astra2f.html

ukmobil
26-11-2012, 10:44
More from the site mentioned in the last post

http://www.astra2.org/astra2.html

tvtech
26-11-2012, 12:46
May not be as bad as you think. Whilst presently there are concerns over reception over Astra 2F satellite in Tenerife, there are other methods:

Not being locally based can only offer you comparative advice.

1. Rebroadcasters - they take the signal from a large satellite dish, then reformat to microwave signal then transmit locally. Piracy? But as many may not have other options, seems to have a blind eye presently turned towards it. These companies may be affected.

1. IPTV - There are legal service for this, generally you can receive with a stable & reasonably fast internet connection. There are boxes such as (Telergy) which you can buy, however some local companies are offering a 'streamed' internet version themselves, then rebroadcast over microwave transmitters, with the internet - this if found out, would be shut down. This is not the same as an IP TV box where the 'middle ware' company is paying for the license to the original broadcasters. IPTV is only as good as your internet connection, so if unstable or goes down - so does your TV.

There are other companies which take the original signal from the satellite locally (via dish) then redistribute via IPTV, these also have the possibility of being affected by the change over to 2F - they could lose signal.

3. Intelsat 907: BBC1 HD, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, ITV 1HD, Channel 4HD receivable on a 1 metre dish (estimated) in your location, possibly less. It is presently encrypted (running a back up service for the BBC), but the encryption is old and can be read with a good quality HD satellite receiver with software patch installed. No internet or subscription payments.

Presently there is a test signal of 2F on 11024 H 23000 which you can use to check (with an HD receiver), though early reports do not look too promising. Astra SES have claimed that 2F will be operational by the end of the month.

Graceylacey
26-11-2012, 14:09
You're lucky GL! we've had a bad signal since Miller went to Premier! breaks up all the time and often no signal at all! others on our complex are having the same problems but Premier don't want to know!:mad:

My parents have said the same, since the change over to the internet channels their´s is awful and cracking up all the time, they rang Premier and Premier said there was nothing that they could do. I must be lucky as ours in a lovely picture and its fantastic having ITV2 and not ITV2+1

Mia
26-11-2012, 17:01
We are with Premier Communications and we sometimes get a problem when the picture and sound "freeze" and jump on, but it is not the fault of Premier. This is not frequent and is "liveable with".

It is the slow internet connection on Tenerife. We live in Callao Salvaje and the connection speed has improved since we moved here but is still not fast by any means.

junglejim
27-11-2012, 18:16
Has the guy who ran Miller left the Island or did he start another business ?
anyone got a contact for him?

nurse ratchet
27-11-2012, 19:17
I've just ordered a new satellite dish and the supplying company has GUARANTEED I'll be able to receive all the UK channels. Here's a picture of it.

junglejim
27-11-2012, 19:34
I've just ordered a new satellite dish and the supplying company has GUARANTEED I'll be able to receive all the UK channels. Here's a picture of it.

Have you got planning permission and a bigger plug?

soarey
27-11-2012, 19:41

Hope your balcony has been strenghtened.:cheeky:

Foz
27-11-2012, 22:52
We still have all our channels ........... have others lost their's or has the changeover not taken place as yet
?

satandpcguy
27-11-2012, 23:26
not taken place yet.
only the one uk tv frequency with the two bbc hd test chanenls has moved from 1N to 2F.
All other uk tv chanenls are still where they were and have not moved.
New dates for tranfer being banded around for the move from 1n to 2f as being next week...

Harmonicaman
28-11-2012, 22:21
Here is a handy wee map showing who can and who can't receive the test channel on Astra 2F. Click on green dishes to see what size dish is being used for reception...
Satellite dishes (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201944365313257562972.0004cf2d0c06db130023 4&msa=0)

nurse ratchet
29-11-2012, 10:45
CSTI System off this morning (via La Gomera transmitter) ....any one else with a problem???

Suej
29-11-2012, 11:15
CSTI System off this morning (via La Gomera transmitter) ....any one else with a problem???

Our signal from Guaza mountain is OK this morning!

Pets@Home
29-11-2012, 17:30
Playa San Juan still on

junglejim
29-11-2012, 18:07
Does anyone know if PH Electronics is connected in any way to Premier ?
Some comments made to us from " Premier Engineer" in a PH electronics van make us suspicious of their motives regarding our Satellite System .

barryk
01-12-2012, 09:03
Astra 2F -*This from "SES-Astra" facebook page*"Services are currently being transferred onto Astra 2F, BBC (Tp 2.061) has been migrated to 2F whereas Channel 5 (Tp 2.057), ITV (Tp's 2.059 and 2.063), and Channel 4 (Tp 2.068) will move to Astra 2F next Tuesday. This will then mark the completion of the transfer".So confirmation of the 11.023 H, SR 23.000 FEC 2/3 DVB-S2 *PSK "8901" and "8911" (BBC 1 HD's) move to 2FThe frequencies and channels moving on Tuesday the 4th of December will be :-10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1),10.994 H*SR 22.000 FEC 5/6*(ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD),11.052 H*SR 22.000 FEC 5/6*(ITV 1 Central South SD/

Barryk

tvtech
01-12-2012, 09:44
Barrry is it me being daft or has this post since been deleted off Astras Facebook page? I can't find it any where?

junglejim
01-12-2012, 10:11
Astra 2F -*This from "SES-Astra" facebook page*"Services are currently being transferred onto Astra 2F, BBC (Tp 2.061) has been migrated to 2F whereas Channel 5 (Tp 2.057), ITV (Tp's 2.059 and 2.063), and Channel 4 (Tp 2.068) will move to Astra 2F next Tuesday. This will then mark the completion of the transfer".So confirmation of the 11.023 H, SR 23.000 FEC 2/3 DVB-S2 *PSK "8901" and "8911" (BBC 1 HD's) move to 2FThe frequencies and channels moving on Tuesday the 4th of December will be :-10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1),10.994 H*SR 22.000 FEC 5/6*(ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD),11.052 H*SR 22.000 FEC 5/6*(ITV 1 Central South SD/

Barryk
That was the same info on "Robssateliites" page but I couldn't see it any where on Astra's Facebook or Web page either.
Maybe still having issues with commissioning ?

barryk
01-12-2012, 10:15
I have been monitoring Robs Satellite TV site and it is a copy of a post on there. His information is usually quite accurate.
I thought I would post to keep members updated.
Just goole astra2f the link appears at the top of the page
Barryk

Foz
01-12-2012, 11:03
We still have all bbc channels ... in HD too. We have our own 3.1m dish and are up near Escalona. Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

Suej
01-12-2012, 15:38
We still have all bbc channels ... in HD too. We have our own 3.1m dish and are up near Escalona. Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

What's supposed to be happening Tuesday Foz?

Harmonicaman
01-12-2012, 15:41
See below for details of channels migrating to Astra 2F on Tuesday 4th Dec.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-41.png

Suej
01-12-2012, 16:29
See below for details of channels migrating to Astra 2F on Tuesday 4th Dec.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture-41.png

Thanks HM! not that all this techie stuff means much to me! I'll just know when we have a black screen that it's gorne orff! :lol:

primrose
01-12-2012, 16:43
Is it possible to get an idiot's guide to this then I will be able to understand it.???

Harmonicaman
01-12-2012, 16:47
Basically, all the Beeb and ITV stations plus channels 4 & 5 will change over on Tuesday Primrose. Either your existing dishes will still be able to receive them (doubtful) or you'll see nothing. It won't be clear until Tuesday, however it seems that the BBC HD channel which has already moved to Astra 2F is not being seen on anything under a 3m dish. As I say, it won't be known conclusively 'til Tuesday.

Muppet
01-12-2012, 16:54
Simples

IF you receive your television via your own satellite dish pointing into the sky, there are changes afoot which mean that, without a very large dish it would appear you may lose a good number of channels.

IF you get your UK TV by other means - such as the illegal rebroadcast systems (the type you have to pay a 100E a year fee to for "relicensing") the system you use may lose reception of some channels, but it becomes their problem to resolve and they will need to source their feeds from somewhere else, such as the internet.

If you receive your UK TV by some other means, such as Europa/Direct Telecom you are unlikely to have issues, but again, if you do it will be their problem to resolve.

Foz
01-12-2012, 17:01
What's supposed to be happening Tuesday Foz?

As I understand it .. the remaining Uk channels changeover to the new satelite.

primrose
01-12-2012, 17:14
I have read so much about this and there is so much speculation but have come to the conclusion that nobody really knows what will happen and it's just a case of wait and see.

Suej
01-12-2012, 17:19
I have read so much about this and there is so much speculation but have come to the conclusion that nobody really knows what will happen and it's just a case of wait and see.

I'm with you on that primrose 100% :c2:

Basically, all the Beeb and ITV stations plus channels 4 & 5 will change over on Tuesday Primrose. Either your existing dishes will still be able to receive them (doubtful) or you'll see nothing. It won't be clear until Tuesday, however it seems that the BBC HD channel which has already moved to Astra 2F is not being seen on anything under a 3m dish. As I say, it won't be known conclusively 'til Tuesday.

I have now changed over from Movistar (Telefonica) to Direct Telecom! Can't believe how painless it was! picked up the new router on Thursday! Telefonica disconnected the same evening back on with DT Friday morning! Got everything set up for TV through ADSL but just need to pick up the top box! Bring it on! nothing stops us Brits from getting what we want!:D

satandpcguy
01-12-2012, 17:51
Basically, all the Beeb and ITV stations plus channels 4 & 5 will change over on Tuesday Primrose.

Actually the ses facebook post does not state that "all the Beeb and ITV stations plus channels 4 & 5 will change over on Tuesday".

The message, and the screen grab above, says that one BBC frequency has already moved (which we know about - freq 11023), and on tuesday two itv frequencies, one c4 frequency and the a five frequency will move.

There is NO mention on the of the other 4 bbc frequencies , or the other 5 itv frequencies, or the other 2 c4 frequencies moving.

That is what is currently causing some confusion. What is happening to these other 11 bbc itv c4 frequencies - will they move on tuesday also, or wil they move later, or very much later....nothing has been said about them at all....so still no-one knows!

Harmonicaman
01-12-2012, 18:05
Thanks for clearing that up Satandpcguy, sorry for causing confusion.:tiphat:

Edit: Oh! And these will be on the UK spot beam. Don't know what's happening yet with Pan European beam.

junglejim
01-12-2012, 18:57
Astra 2F satellite Facebook page info - no real info on what European or West African beams will carry - it´s going tobe an interesting week !???
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Astra-2F/140070196137176

Harmonicaman
01-12-2012, 22:15
That's just a Wiki article JJ. Nothing from SES themselves.

LeFrunk
01-12-2012, 22:19
So my wee BBC box will probably be off when i get over in Jan ? or will i be able to retune ? or will i bring it back to CSTI and get it sorted and prob pay another 100e ?

Suej
03-12-2012, 23:26
It seems we have lost channels 5 & 6 this evening

Ian_N
03-12-2012, 23:40
what channels are 5 and 6 ?

timmylish
03-12-2012, 23:41
I thought to-morrow was the BIG day!

primrose
03-12-2012, 23:44
I thought to-morrow was the BIG day!

It is supposed to be 4 o'clock tomorrow morning.

In The Sun
04-12-2012, 00:18
It is supposed to be 4 o'clock tomorrow morning.
On Golf Del Sur and we have lost nothing all working OK at the moment BBC1, BBC2,ITV,Channel 4,Channel 5, and loads of others still ok

primrose
04-12-2012, 00:19
On Golf Del Sur and we have lost nothing all working OK at the moment BBC1, BBC2,ITV,Channel 4,Channel 5, and loads of others still ok

Well it's not tomorrow morning yet.

Harmonicaman
04-12-2012, 01:06
Have a look here...Countdown thingy (http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20121204T05&p0=534&csz=1)

junglejim
04-12-2012, 08:37
Channel5 and associates gone this morning- Is this the Day of The Triffids?
We are on a 3metre +`dish for satellite feed .

satandpcguy
04-12-2012, 08:58
Channels and frequencies which you may have now lost reception of due to their change of satellites.

10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1),

10.994 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD),

11.052 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Central South SD/ITV 1 Central East SD/ITV 1+1 Wales SD/ITV 1+1 Westcountry SD/ITV 1+1 Tyne Tees SD)

11.126 V SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (Channel 4 HD/4Seven SD)

primrose
04-12-2012, 09:15
Is it all finished moving things about now, is it a case of what we have now we keep.

satandpcguy
04-12-2012, 09:37
Is it all finished moving things about now, is it a case of what we have now we keep.

This is only one stage out of a number of changes, so no things have not finished.
All other BBC ITV C4 channels on Astra 1N will be moved to a new satellite - either the "new" 2F, or the second new satellites 2E (which is schedule for launch early 2013.)
And then there is the thrid new satellite Astra 2G, which is schedule for launch early 2014.

tfs1
04-12-2012, 09:37
does a rescan bring any of the lost channels back ? - if not can you 'add channels', similar to the Sky TV facility, using the details 'satandpcguy' has provided ?

satandpcguy
04-12-2012, 09:43
No.
The channels have not changed frequency - so a rescan will not get them back.
It is simply a case of your dish is too small to receive those channels on their new satellite

C4HD, 4seven, and the "Fives" are only on one frequency - so you cannot "add them".
It may be the only "Five" you can get is Five HD.

But if you have lost some of the ITV regions mentioned, then there are several other frequencies for several other ITV regions available - assuming yuor dish is big enough to receive them in the first place:
10758 V
10832 H
10891 H
10906 V
(all 22 5/6)

junglejim
04-12-2012, 10:19
Channel 5 and associates back on. Not HD .?

satandpcguy
04-12-2012, 10:20
Five HD is not on one of the affected frequencies - so there will be no change to reception of Five HD

Suej
04-12-2012, 11:33
I'm getting a bit confused as most people seem to be talking about dishes! We are on aerial signal from Guaza??? still no Channel 5 or 6(ITV2)

Muppet
04-12-2012, 11:43
I'm getting a bit confused as most people seem to be talking about dishes! We are on aerial signal from Guaza??? still no Channel 5 or 6(ITV2)

See previous post 116, which explains how it all works, and which you have, clearly already read !!!

satandpcguy
04-12-2012, 11:43
These recent changes mentioned only affect tv direct from the satellite.

If you have lost signal, and do not get your TV direct via a satellite dish, then contact your provider. They are the ony ones who will be able to help you - it is their service after all.

But then if your provider cannot receive the signals either, then you will not.

Suej
04-12-2012, 12:25

If you have lost signal, and do not get your TV direct via a satellite dish, then contact your provider. They are the ony ones who will be able to help you - it is their service after all.

:hello:

Thanks! Yes a lot of people have asked their providers but we are getting different responses! We now have channel 6 back!

:hello:

Thanks! Yes a lot of people have asked their providers but we are getting different responses! We now have channel 6 back!

TF1
04-12-2012, 17:17
A friend of mine in the mainland has said that the SKY footprint changed today; can anyone confirm if it has affected the Canary Islands?

junglejim
04-12-2012, 17:41
See other thread but some movement to new satellite astra2F on UK Spotbeam has happened, I suspect our signals from Astra 1N have not been moved - yet.
Apparently couple of weeks for process to be completed before we "see the full picture" !
Some info here
http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/astra2f.htm

Greg
04-12-2012, 19:53
Today we have lost the following channels-
Moved to 2F

11.023 H, SR 23.000 FEC 2/3 DVB-S2 8PSK "8901" and "8911" (BBC 1 HD's) tests for Scotland and Wales.

10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1).

10.994 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD).

11.053 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Central South SD/ITV 1 Central East SD/ITV 1+1 Wales SD/ITV 1+1 Westcountry SD/ITV 1+1 Tyne Tees SD).

11.126 V SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (Channel 4 HD/4Seven SD).

It is the intention that all public channels BBC1,2,3,4 ITV1,2,3 etc will be transmitted from this satellite. Now would be a good time to pick up Slingbox on Ebay and set it up in a UK property!

golf birdie
04-12-2012, 20:18
Now would be a good time to pick up Slingbox on Ebay and set it up in a UK property!

Greg, a question for you. If you set this up with someone in the UK does it mean you have to watch what they do or if it independent and you can chose what to watch? Also does it work with freeview and sky?

delderek
04-12-2012, 20:20
You have to watch the same channel. But you could have Sky multiroom for a tenner a month, and use the second box as your server.

golf birdie
04-12-2012, 20:25
You have to watch the same channel. But you could have Sky multiroom for a tenner a month, and use the second box as your server.

or if possible I could just install a freeview box and watch that ?

Vortex Wake
04-12-2012, 20:26
Slingbox:

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?2120-The-Slingbox-for-TV-in-Tenerife

satandpcguy
04-12-2012, 20:30
with slingboxes, remember that if the "host" is on a fair useage policy, the a sling box will eat into that useage!

"SKy" have not changedd anything.
SES Astra, who own and operate 4 of the 5 satellites that provide UK satellite TV moved some frequencies between satellites.
The resulting change is that some channesl that you could receive on your existing dishes may now require larger dishes to receive...

golf birdie
04-12-2012, 20:36
don't wish to sound too thick but if I went to the UK and set this up would I need my laptop in the UK to be able to do this? You can draw pictures for me if you wish :cheeky:

Greg
04-12-2012, 20:52
with slingboxes, remember that if the "host" is on a fair useage policy, the a sling box will eat into that useage!

"SKy" have not changedd anything.
SES Astra, who own and operate 4 of the 5 satellites that provide UK satellite TV moved some frequencies between satellites.
The resulting change is that some channesl that you could receive on your existing dishes may now require larger dishes to receive...

I have a 4 meter dish and can't get a signal from the new satellite. How big do you want to go????

That's the way I'm doing it, a good upload speed such as BT Infinity is a must too.

junglejim
05-12-2012, 02:18
Wait a couple of weeks and then make a decision - nobody seems to know what is going to change !

TF1
05-12-2012, 11:22
No problem for me, never watch it, but a friend of mine who´s in Málaga has some "prototype" ADSL view-boxes which apparently work with any IP, and work with any ADSL over 2Mb without freezing or breaking up. They seem to be in high demand as of yesterday. I´ll try to find out if they really work, and if so where they can be obtained.

Tony the Welder
05-12-2012, 12:01
I have lost Channel 5, just my sat or all Canaries

dotty1
05-12-2012, 12:41
I have lost Channel 5, just my sat or all Canaries
I have lost channel 5 as well, expecting more to go but when?

Suej
05-12-2012, 13:06
I have lost channel 5 as well, expecting more to go but when?
We have lost 5 & 6 today and the rest are breaking up quite badly!eek2:

gazza
05-12-2012, 17:29
I use an Apple tv 2 box, jailbroken and get most freeview channels no problem, as well as a host of other channels around the wourd including Premier football

Suej
05-12-2012, 17:36
I use an Apple tv 2 box, jailbroken and get most freeview channels no problem, as well as a host of other channels around the wourd including Premier football

Where d'ya live then gazza?:wink2:

Harmonicaman
05-12-2012, 17:51
Floozie...:cheeky:

Suej
05-12-2012, 18:25
Floozie...:cheeky:

Oi You!!! just get on the photo upload thread where you are needed!!!:neener:

golf birdie
05-12-2012, 18:35

please tell us more :wink:

satandpcguy
05-12-2012, 19:50
or if you have a pc, install xbmc, which is what i think the apple tv uses.

golf birdie
05-12-2012, 20:41
what I would like is a set top box that plugs into my router and allows me to watch all the freeview from back home and iplayer on my TV. If it can record even better, doubt if this is on the market but it would make someone rich if it was. Just can't be bothered with all the hassle of watching on a laptop or running cables from the laptop.

marbro8
05-12-2012, 21:07
what I would like is a set top box that plugs into my router and allows me to watch all the freeview from back home and iplayer on my TV. If it can record even better, doubt if this is on the market but it would make someone rich if it was. Just can't be bothered with all the hassle of watching on a laptop or running cables from the laptop.i am pretty sure there is such a thing? you can get them off e-bay they are called dream box i think? i know over here in the uk we can get them and for a fee someone will come and hook it up for you and you can get all the sky channels and more, and all you have to do is pay about £5 a month to the guy that sets it up and he keeps you connected, someone told me it was something called card sharing;)

Harmonicaman
05-12-2012, 21:27
what I would like is a set top box that plugs into my router and allows me to watch all the freeview from back home and iplayer on my TV. If it can record even better, doubt if this is on the market but it would make someone rich if it was. Just can't be bothered with all the hassle of watching on a laptop or running cables from the laptop.

Look at post #7 from Vortex Wake on this thread...

Edit: Mods have merged threads so look at post #150 in this thread.:lol:

chocaholic
05-12-2012, 22:37
So what channels has anyone lost as of now?

Suej
05-12-2012, 22:41
We've lost 5 & 6 and the others are cr*p!!! been watching on an old laptop! No offers from gazza!:cry:

junglejim
06-12-2012, 09:36
Still getting all our UK channels but Ch 5 suite pixellates badly as night goes on and doesn´t improve until 8:30 ish - just have to wait and see what happens over next couple of weeks .

golf birdie
06-12-2012, 11:00
Look at post #7 from Vortex Wake on this thread...

Edit: Mods have merged threads so look at post #150 in this thread.:lol:

so this can be watched direct on TV with no laptop or PC ?

gazza
06-12-2012, 11:10
Los Abrigos, i use telefonica for my internet and average 7mb, i do use a vpn which costs me 4$ a month this is the only outlay for it ( once you have bought the box, around 180 sterling on ebay )

malvasia
06-12-2012, 16:05
i am pretty sure there is such a thing? you can get them off e-bay they are called dream box i think? i know over here in the uk we can get them and for a fee someone will come and hook it up for you and you can get all the sky channels and more, and all you have to do is pay about £5 a month to the guy that sets it up and he keeps you connected, someone told me it was something called card sharing;)

It is called card sharing.......BUT, you do need a Sky dish and you can only watch the channels your dish is capable of getting. I pay 200€ per year.

junglejim
06-12-2012, 16:09
Humax range of boxes do freesat channels as well off satellite dish-
http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/

Harmonicaman
06-12-2012, 20:50

Sorry golf birdie, no. You need a pc/laptop. I didn't register the bit where you said you didn't want the hassle of wires from pc to TV.:shy:

Edit: See post below from Vortex Wake ...

Vortex Wake
06-12-2012, 21:00

Using a Slingbox Pro with built-in Freeview TV tuner (in the UK with Broadband internet connection ) , and a Sling Catcher plugged into Broadband internet and connected to your TV in Tenerife would allowing UK channels on your own TV without any PC / laptop requirement.

doingok
06-12-2012, 22:18
just get VPN only £40 year and you can watch TV catch up, save's the cost of paying anything back in the uk. or free at film on tv.

Using a Slingbox Pro with built-in Freeview TV tuner (in the UK with Broadband internet connection ) , and a Sling Catcher plugged into Broadband internet and connected to your TV in Tenerife would allowing UK channels on your own TV without any PC / laptop requirement.

poolepirate
06-12-2012, 22:39
just get VPN only £40 year and you can watch TV catch up, save's the cost of paying anything back in the uk. or free at film on tv.
TV catchup does not work with my VPN. I think they are strict on which ISP they allow.

doingok
06-12-2012, 23:32
i use it???????????????????

timmylish
07-12-2012, 03:15
Well, for me I cannot see anything beating my VPN since I watch every tv channel or station in the Uk and also in the USA although, admittedly, getting on-line in the US for live tv is a bit of an art!

Vortex Wake
07-12-2012, 08:43

My response relates to watching UK directly on your TV - not on a laptop with cables plugged to TV.

The Slingbox has other features too. Plugging in your SKY box or Virgin box not only allows your subscribed to channels but catch up TV also. Plugging in a CCTV system allows you yo monitor your property back home too - ideal for swallows.

I not claiming that a Slingbox is better than a VPN - but it has its uses particularly when newer Slingbox versions are available.

Suej
07-12-2012, 13:41
All I would like to know from Premier is what they will do for us people with their aerial system! :whistle:

SuzyQ
07-12-2012, 19:13
We have lost all channels except C5 today on the csti box. Their phone is permanently engaged. Anyone else?

We have lost all channels except C5 today on the csti box. Their phone is permanently engaged. Anyone else?

Suej
07-12-2012, 19:43

Same here Sue! a bit hit and miss one minute it's on next all channels gone! We were with Miller (now Premier) and our signal comes from Guaza! Given up calling Premier!:mad:

primrose
07-12-2012, 20:32
Saying on Facebook signal been turned off to everybody that hasn't paid and a 40 Euro fine before they will turn it back on.Don't know if this is just Tenerife rumour mill or fact.

chocaholic
07-12-2012, 20:36
Is anyones still on

primrose
07-12-2012, 20:41
Is anyones still on

Ours is but we get it through the complex.

slodgedad
07-12-2012, 20:41
May be slightly off topic as I am a sky subscriber.

Has Sky, with your own set up, gone completely. (Small dish)

Tickey
07-12-2012, 20:46
Nothing other than 5 here since noon with CSTI :whistle:

junglejim
07-12-2012, 20:51
Ours is a communal satellite 3M dish and all channels still present though Channel5 suite of programmes pixelate badly after 17:30 until 09:00 .
Still searching all the satellite web sites for information- not a lot there, but controllers of Satellites,SES, giving very little away !
Very poor customer PR in my opinion!

atlantico
07-12-2012, 21:28
anyone got through to CSTI today ? Anyone know if they're open tomorrow to rob, I mean take, our fees ?

BoPeep
07-12-2012, 22:40
Nothing wrong with our CSTI box, all channels working perfectly!

Suej
08-12-2012, 11:36
Nothing wrong with our CSTI box, all channels working perfectly!

Glad to hear it BoPeep! Our friends CSTI signal is rubbish at the mo! it might depend on where you are?

BoPeep
08-12-2012, 11:38
We are in Golf de Sur!

barryk
08-12-2012, 16:40
Hi,

"Robssatellitetv" web page gives some useful information with regard to the latest position in respsect of the migration of prgrammes to 2F.

It is a bit "techy" but it would appear that AstraSES are having some issues/technical problems transferring the channels over. This means that they are currently still on the 1N satellite and should still be receivable in TFS.

Robs site also indicates that AstraSES may have to wail until the launch of the next satellite around May 2013 which could be good news for Tenerife.

It would appear most of the 5's have ben transferred and some ITV regional services (See the astra2.org site for current listing)

Barryk

Pets@Home
11-12-2012, 19:09
PAID, my 100 EUROS, to CSTI yesterday, and have all channels.
I hope its not a CON.

I asked about the issue ref signal, and he said, alot of companies are trying
to scaremonger, so people would buy their very expensive, internet TV.

ANYWAY all we can do is wait and see, reason cannot get thru, he is on his own,
and has people waiting in their dozen, to pay and change the codes, so he just takes
the phone off the hook.

HOPE THIS HELPS

junglejim
11-12-2012, 19:28
Rob's website is the only one giving any info/ opinion on what's happening .
His site is a little difficult to follow but I take the gist of his conversation is that some channels , notably Ch5 suite and some ITV regions have transferred to2F Satellite but due to technical issues the rest are still on 1N and may not transfer to new 2E satellite in June .
http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/latestnews.htm
Secondary suppliers via aerials and Internet will have issues too !

satandpcguy
12-12-2012, 19:20
your potential loss of BBC channels will not be for a few months now, but will be "in summer 2013", which is when they will move to their new satellite.

So a small repreive...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Changes-to-BBC-Satellite-transponders-in-2013

"Rob's website is the only one giving any info/ opinion on what's happening ."
Did he have this before I posted it?? :-)
And there are lots of others around also giving facts and speculation:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/156976-astra-2f-general-discussion/

junglejim
12-12-2012, 19:36
your potential loss of BBC channels will not be for a few months now, but will be "in summer 2013", which is when they will move to their new satellite.

So a small repreive...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Changes-to-BBC-Satellite-transponders-in-2013

"Rob's website is the only one giving any info/ opinion on what's happening ."
Did he have this before I posted it?? :-)
And there are lots of others around also giving facts and speculation:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/156976-astra-2f-general-discussion/
The point I´m trying to make is since the 2F satellite has been commissioned very little info is available as to what is actually happening with 2F/1N and signals here in Canaries now and in future with 2E satellite- several companies including the one we use to service our Community dish and equipment have been very poor at communicating to the point of talking B/S !
I notice a few web sites are jockeying for position in a p5ssing competition -all we are asking for here is some open and honest information which SES/Astra and others seem reluctant to give .
One comment I got direct from Premier was that they hoped the signals would disappear so they could sell Internet TV !

satandpcguy
12-12-2012, 20:15
The point I´m trying to make is since the 2F satellite has been commissioned very little info is available as to what is actually happening with 2F/1N and signals here in Canaries now and in future with 2E satellite-
Wasnt really dissing - although agree it can be hard to read that site... just saying that other sites have had the same (limited) facts, reception rumours and reports, and speculation as robs.
Digitalspy forums is another...
here is a thread for your neck of the woods: http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/topic/156865-astra-2f-canaries-africa-discussion/

junglejim
13-12-2012, 12:37
Thanks for link -I have seen some of that as well , we will just have to wait and see what happens later next year !
I realise BBC´s prime concern under its licence is UK ,but I pay my licence in UK as well as a basic SKY account -just a pity they don´t allow it to be portable !
It´s the 21st Century, not some medieval fiefdom ,we live in now !

carpdaught1
22-12-2012, 02:28
All I would like to know from Premier is what they will do for us people with their aerial system! :whistle:
not a lot , i rang last week to be told they were going to quaza to work on it thr week before it was if people stopped ringing we could do it quicker got to ring again as all this week tv gone off at 1 am just as we get into a film so miss half of it and our tv is through an aerialany body else lost their signal in this way ?

timmylish
22-12-2012, 03:32
Thanks for link -I have seen some of that as well , we will just have to wait and see what happens later next year !
I realise BBC´s prime concern under its licence is UK ,but I pay my licence in UK as well as a basic SKY account -just a pity they don´t allow it to be portable !
It´s the 21st Century, not some medieval fiefdom ,we live in now !
JJ. I may be stating the obvious but since you have Sky can you not get their "GO" system by using a VPN! (Now there,s a surprise!)

junglejim
22-12-2012, 04:30
Timmy I can use Sky Go on one of the free VPN's - we get Sky Sports and Arab Channel piped into complex courtesy of local bar - we will just have to see what happens when 2E changes (new launch is June 2013 ).
I'm dumping Sky at end of month in Scotland for a new fibre optic supplier for all telecoms and 15Mb/s for £25/month cheaper .
http://www.smallworldcable.com/Home

VPN and slingbox type solutions are an option ....

Suej
22-12-2012, 11:39
not a lot , i rang last week to be told they were going to quaza to work on it thr week before it was if people stopped ringing we could do it quicker got to ring again as all this week tv gone off at 1 am just as we get into a film so miss half of it and our tv is through an aerialany body else lost their signal in this way ?

I have changed provider to Direct Telecom and all you need from them is a very small box plugged into their router which they supply and off you go! most of my neighbours have already gone on to this system and it is brilliant! The whole package saves you the 100€ a year you are currently paying Premier and you save on your current ADSL/Phone line with Telefonica/Movistar! you get 28 British TV channels with Direct Telecom! I'm collecting my box on Monday! Whoop! I agree the aerial signal is on and off and is total rubbish!

carpdaught1
22-12-2012, 14:14
I have changed provider to Direct Telecom and all you need from them is a very small box plugged into their router which they supply and off you go! most of my neighbours have already gone on to this system and it is brilliant! The whole package saves you the 100€ a year you are currently paying Premier and you save on your current ADSL/Phone line with Telefonica/Movistar! you get 28 British TV channels with Direct Telecom! I'm collecting my box on Monday! Whoop! I agree the aerial signal is on and off and is total rubbish!
going direct when we return in new year after visiting family in england just hope it dont play up xmas day mrs brown n all that lol

Suej
22-12-2012, 16:48
going direct when we return in new year after visiting family in england just hope it dont play up xmas day mrs brown n all that lol

You will also get 300 minutes free calls to anywhere in Europe so can phone UK friends and rellies! Keeping fingers crossed for Chrissa viewing!

timmylish
23-12-2012, 00:02
You will also get 300 minutes free calls to anywhere in Europe so can phone UK friends and rellies! Keeping fingers crossed for Chrissa viewing!

Suej. Purely out of nosiness what is the total cost for your package ei. Line Renta, 10 mgps ADSL, Free Spanish Call and a certain amount of mobile calls?

slodgedad
23-12-2012, 02:13
I am with Direct Telecom and the total cost of the pacage (8mb internet, free Spanish landlines, line rental, 28 channel TV and 300 mins of European landlines) is 53 euros.

Mobile calls are extra.

It seems a bit on the dear side but the customer service (24/7) is second to none.

Suej
23-12-2012, 11:49
Suej. Purely out of nosiness what is the total cost for your package ei. Line Renta, 10 mgps ADSL, Free Spanish Call and a certain amount of mobile calls?

Mine will be exactly the same as Slodge's I was paying Movistar/Telefonica 60-65€ per month (with no free European calls) then on top of that the 99€ per year to Premier for TV! IMO It makes sense to change Timmy! :)

In The Sun
23-12-2012, 12:08
Mine will be exactly the same as Slodge's I was paying Movistar/Telefonica 60-65€ per month (with no free European calls) then on top of that the 99€ per year to Premier for TV! IMO It makes sense to change Timmy! :)

This is a copy of my Invoice from DT. As you can see I also pay for the 14 days backup tv. On this invoice they have charge me for two months. I also pay for line gard as it means if I have a problem with the Telephonica line then they will step in and help sort it

I had a problem in the first month but one phone call got sorted it out and it has worked great since. I also use the back up tv quite a lot as I tend to be out during the evenings.
it is also nice being able to use phone for Spanish and U.K. calls without worrying about the cost of the call

Lines/Lineas
- 922******
Calls / Llamadas 0 €
Total Calls / Importe en Llamadas 0.00 €
Services/Servicios 61.75 €
DT OneBill 12-2012 13.97 €
Line Guard 12-2012 1.99 €
dT Media PLUS 4,99 12-2012 4.99 €
dT Media PLUS 4,99 11-2012 4.82 €
DT TOTAL 12-2012 35.98 €
Admin Fee 0.60 €
Subtotal 62.35 €
TAX/Impuestos 4.32 €
Total 66.67 €
Amount Charged / Importe Cargado 66.67 €

Suej
23-12-2012, 12:18
This is a copy of my Invoice from DT. As you can see I also pay for the 14 days backup tv. On this invoice they have charge me for two months. I also pay for line gard as it means if I have a problem with the Telephonica line then they will step in and help sort it

I had a problem in the first month but one phone call got sorted it out and it has worked great since. I also use the back up tv quite a lot as I tend to be out during the evenings.
it is also nice being able to use phone for Spanish and U.K. calls without worrying about the cost of the call

Lines/Lineas
- 922******
Calls / Llamadas 0 €
Total Calls / Importe en Llamadas 0.00 €
Services/Servicios 61.75 €
DT OneBill 12-2012 13.97 €
Line Guard 12-2012 1.99 €
dT Media PLUS 4,99 12-2012 4.99 €
dT Media PLUS 4,99 11-2012 4.82 €
DT TOTAL 12-2012 35.98 €
Admin Fee 0.60 €
Subtotal 62.35 €
TAX/Impuestos 4.32 €
Total 66.67 €
Amount Charged / Importe Cargado 66.67 €

I don't subscribe for catch-up as I never use it! and don't have the extras you have so my Bill is the same Slodgedad's! I might add the line guard on though that seems a good idea thinking about it! but DT told me that they sort out any problem with the line with Telefonica as part of the service as long as the fault is outside and that the line guard protection is only for if there is a problem within your property? Have I got it wrong? I am going tomorrow to pick up my TV box so hopefully will clarify this point!

DonnaFranka
23-12-2012, 19:08
Merry Christmas everyone :)

Sorry if this has already been answered on the forum, but after a quick browse through I cannot find any info.

We lost channel 5 about 3 weeks ago. We have been waiting till now to see if it will return but nothing so far. We have a big satellite on the roof which is about 5 years old and an Amstrad Sky digibox about 3 years old.

Does anyone have any info, is it totaly off the island or is there anything we can do to get it back.

Many thanks.

DonnaFranka

delderek
23-12-2012, 19:23
Think you may need to wade through this thread. http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?21207-Is-the-UKTV-signal-still-ok&p=228351&viewfull=1#post228351.

It appears most UK channels were going to disappear, but now a reprieve till May or June next year. Channel 5 is the only one so far to go to the new satellite, but all the rest will follow.

casabonny
23-12-2012, 21:16
We still have channel 5 on a large dish and dream box

slodgedad
24-12-2012, 02:14
For some reason Channel 5 has always been a problem.

When we were Sky subscribers we always had intermitent problems and now we only have internet TV we still have problems with it.

The other 5s always seem to work OK

satandpcguy
24-12-2012, 07:54
Channel 5 is the only one so far to go to the new satellite, but all the rest will follow.

C4HD, 4seven, some iTV1 and ITV1+1 regions and BBC HD have also moved to the new satellite

For some reason Channel 5 has always been a problem.
When we were Sky subscribers we always had intermitent problems and now we only have internet TV we still have problems with it.
The other 5s always seem to work OK

Channel 5, Five*, Five USA and their timeshifts are all on the same frequency.
And they are all on the same satellite.
So if you had issues with Channel 5, then you will have had issues with the other 5s' aswell.
And they have been "free to air" - ie no sky card required - for over a year now.
And before then they were "free to view" - available with sky card but no subscription.
C5HD has not yet moved to its new satellite.

delderek
24-12-2012, 09:47
C4HD, 4seven, some iTV1 and ITV1+1 regions and BBC HD have also moved to the new satellite

Channel 5, Five*, Five USA and their timeshifts are all on the same frequency.
And they are all on the same satellite.
So if you had issues with Channel 5, then you will have had issues with the other 5s' aswell.
And they have been "free to air" - ie no sky card required - for over a year now.
And before then they were "free to view" - available with sky card but no subscription.
C5HD has not yet moved to its new satellite.

Are the channels that moved to the new satellite, still viewable in the Canaries with a 3m dish,?:dontknow: The theory was they would not be.

julia44
24-12-2012, 14:14
Are the channels that moved to the new satellite, still viewable in the Canaries with a 3m dish,?:dontknow: The theory was they would not be.

Yes I am getting all the channels that have moved to 2f on a 3.1m dish

junglejim
24-12-2012, 15:06
We have Channel 5 suite but up to last week on our Community 3m dish, we had heavy pixellation after17:00 hrs and as it got later became unwatchable - maybe needs a dish or LNB tweek !

carpdaught1
25-12-2012, 02:56
Yet again telly off just after 1 am through the areialwell premier will be losing a customer in new year fed up with lame duck reasons ie not enough electric going where it needs to go lol