PDA

View Full Version : Other What would you be willing to do to help the economy in Tenerife?

doncarlos
16-10-2012, 15:27
It’s obvious that there have been numerous changes, that we’ve all noticed, in Tenerife that can be directly attributed to Spain’s economic climate. Some of the changes have been moderate such as the reduction in the use of street lighting and rubbish not being collected so frequently. Other changes have been more striking such as people losing their jobs and businesses folding. It seems to me that everyone needs to play an active part in the economic recovery process, but what role would you be willing to play? For example, would you be willing to take a 25% reduction in your salary to ensure job security for the next five years. Perhaps you think that the problem is political and should be solved by those who created it. What are your thoughts and what are you willing to do to help out?

Greg
16-10-2012, 17:59
I think that the threshold for taxes should be raised and the basic social payments for social security should be way lower. This may look like it will bring in less money but I believe more people would pay into the system if it was more affordable and more people would be tempted to make themselves legal instead of flying under the raydar and living in the black economy. I could preach on this subject all day but I'll spare you all for now!!

amanda
17-10-2012, 17:09
the mayor of arona could take a pay cut as he isnt doing anything at the moment and also he says that he will not
be taking his annual xmas bonus:bootyshake:

Slug Balancer
17-10-2012, 18:06
I'm over next week and I am going eat more, and drink lots more to help out the local economy.

cainaries
17-10-2012, 18:54
Are there charity shops on Tenerife? There aren't any obvious charity shops on La Palma and whenever we ask what we should do with good quality second-hand goods we are either told that people would rather save and wait for new or if we put the items in a bag a friend will arrange for them to be sent to Cuba. Just seems to me that a system for handing down children´s clothes (just to give an example) would help out a bit.

But the situation in Tenerife might be different and we haven't actually got any second-hand children's clothes but we have got sheets, blankets, towels, etc. which we feel would be very heavy to send to Cuba. Surely the freight cost would outweigh any other advantage?

YOUNG GOLFER
17-10-2012, 19:20
Robin Hood Tax makes for good reading.

http://www.robinhoodtax.org/how-it-works

only been reading about it for a while but could this be the answer?

canarybird
17-10-2012, 20:45
Are there charity shops on Tenerife? There aren't any obvious charity shops on La Palma and whenever we ask what we should do with good quality second-hand goods we are either told that people would rather save and wait for new or if we put the items in a bag a friend will arrange for them to be sent to Cuba. Just seems to me that a system for handing down children´s clothes (just to give an example) would help out a bit.

But the situation in Tenerife might be different and we haven't actually got any second-hand children's clothes but we have got sheets, blankets, towels, etc. which we feel would be very heavy to send to Cuba. Surely the freight cost would outweigh any other advantage?

There are certainly places here in Tenerife where you can donate used clothing and blankets in good condition.

Here in Puerto de la Cruz, for example, there is the Santa Rita Home for the Aged (http://www.infoelder.com/residencias-de-ancianos/fundacion-hogar-santa-rita-ii_av13825e.html) which provides residential care for low-income seniors, where used clothing and shoes are given to the residents or sold in the shop there. Bedding is always needed along with any other objects which could be used in geriatric care. This is just one of many residential and care homes here, so I imagine there must be similar institutions in La Palma.

Animal refuges are another cause where used clothing, books, or anything than could be sold to raise money are always welcome. Even clean old blankets or towels, cut into sizes for use in kennels for animal bedding are needed.

And if nothing else, there are the newly installed used clothing and shoes bins now in the streets next to the recycle glass and rubbish bins. Not sure if they are yet in La Palma. However, given the current economic situation, you can be sure that there are families in need right here in Canaries who would greatly appreciate your donation of bedding and towels. No need to ship anything to Cuba, when it can be used here. Ask around in the local shops if there is a collection center in a church. A hairdressing salon can often be a useful place where you could ask, as the local women should know who are families in need and where to send your donation. Good luck! :)

cainaries
17-10-2012, 21:50
Canarybird ... thank you so much for your thoughts and helpful ideas. I had asked in the hairdresser's, funnily enough, but I think there was a very slight element of 'we are all managing fine without your help' about the reply so I can't have been as tactful as I could have been (no surprise there!). But your reply reminded me that a friend of mine sometimes volunteers in a hospice here. She's not on the island at the moment but will be back shortly so I am just going to put the sheets and blankets to one side and wait for her to come back so we can discuss whether they can use them or sell them or whatever.

The animal refuges here are such a nest of vipers that we usually keep well clear but I can certainly ask our lovely vet for a phone number for someone he trusts.

thanks so much for your thoughts, really appreciate it. Just seemed so utterly stupid to take good household goods to the recycling centre where they just get thrown in the general rubbish. We haven't got the clothes, shoes bins yet but I'm sure they will come.

poker
18-10-2012, 00:40
Tax empty and not used/rented locals and housing .

KirstyJay
18-10-2012, 01:30

What a great idea. Use the generated tax to give new businesses subventions to help them start up.

Medanoman
18-10-2012, 02:06
I would buy a laptop or Tablet , For every school age child on the island..Tablets now going for under 50 quid that could more than hold every book required from Tot to teenager. Electronic copies instead of the overpriced garbage every parent has to buy. Thus every family would save around 350 euros on books that are not required. That 350 euros saved can then go into local economy.

The only way to avoid the tax would perhaps be to knock them down if say after 18months they are still unsellable , Medano has hundreds that are in a frozen state and saddest of all there are row after row of brand new properties in San isidro that have been completely gutted. abandoned , destroyed for the small amounts of copper or other sell able materiel's that they hid within. Their disappearance would remove eyesores, provide work in demolition activities and improve the property prices for the properties that remain.

if only..lol

TheBloke
18-10-2012, 02:46
I would pull the trigger on every lying ,thieving,immoral and connected politician,banker and their families.

A few corporations in Spain as well especially, in no particular order Endesa,Telefonica and Iberdrola.

Can anyone supply the arms and troops to give me a hand?

poker
18-10-2012, 15:42
What a great idea. Use the generated tax to give new businesses subventions to help them start up.

Price of the rent on business premisses would/could go down also and stimulate businesses to start instead of all empty locales . . . .

In Belgium there is a tax on empty locales and houses and its not cheap . Thats why lots gets fixt up and rented out .

windymiller
18-10-2012, 17:28
I think the idea of second hand clothes shops would benefit by having an outlet at the airport.

With Ryanair policing their luggage weights more tightly than ever, a place with free weight scales and the opportunity to leave a few odd bits of clothing would be a good use of the excess in the suitcase.
Also, there must be a couple of Euro in reselling the sunberellas and beach toys they could collect.

Folks might not bring so much either if they know they could get a few cheap bits in the same shops on the way in.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
(Or 0.0162p)

doncarlos
18-10-2012, 20:14

Actually Cainaries, Cáritas provide this very service in LP.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Robin Hood Tax makes for good reading.

http://www.robinhoodtax.org/how-it-works

only been reading about it for a while but could this be the answer?

That’s an interesting concept. I’ll definitely have to read more.

Thx

bonitatime
19-10-2012, 08:47
The French gov has been talking about this but the UK was so anti I think it got lost somewhere. Or at least I lost track

fonica
19-10-2012, 09:29
the mayor of arona could take a pay cut as he isnt doing anything at the moment and also he says that he will not
be taking his annual xmas bonus:bootyshake:
He shouldn't even be working after being banned from holding public office for 4 years by the Spanish courts.

I would pull the trigger on every lying ,thieving,immoral and connected politician,banker and their families.

A few corporations in Spain as well especially, in no particular order Endesa,Telefonica and Iberdrola.

Can anyone supply the arms and troops to give me a hand?
What a great idea,there wouldn't be many politicians left!!!! I'll help with this one anytime!!!1

TF1
21-10-2012, 18:54
Form an effective anti-corruption squad, and then change the constitution to disable the possibility of the PP firing an entire team for investigating their activities (check caso Gurtel, January 2012). Until the corruption at the top is removed, there is little chance of stabilizing our economic system.

doncarlos
23-10-2012, 07:29
Rudy y Ruymán have been up to their usual tricks and, to stimulate the economy, have rewritten the Spanish national anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C95HankVPpg

And look who's come to help: