PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones How can I stop those text messages that charge you every time you receive them?

carpenter
17-10-2012, 20:32
A while back I had to enter my mobile number to get a access code on a website.

Ever since I've been getting advertising texts from a code 79779 that weren't costing me money and I was able to stop them by replying with the word Stop.

But I also get messages that contain website links (I think they're called push texts) that have no sender and cost me every time I receive one.

These websites are probably of the adult persuasion and I could do without them.
If this was the UK then I could just enter my details on an anti spam list and I'm sorted but other than change my number I don't know what to do.

Does anyone know for definite how to stop these messages please please please.

deepdivejunkie
17-10-2012, 20:51
You dont say what phone you have but if its a smartphone, you could have installed an app which is letting these messages through.
You could try searching for the offending app and deleting it. Or there are apps which detect and block notification messages... on android there is Airblocker - airpush block for example.

Hope this helps in some way.

warbey
17-10-2012, 20:56
Contact Network Service and ask. Calls are usually free, ...I think..

TF1
17-10-2012, 21:06
You need to contact your service provider and request that they block all premium rate texts. They must do this under Spanish law.

cainaries
17-10-2012, 21:55
We found the only way was to go online to the website in question and go through a lot of hoops typing 'baja' at every turn until it finally stopped. also contact your service provider and ask them to refund the costs of these calls (might work, might not but some friends of ours kicked up a fuss and got them refunded). We didn't manage to do this on the phone, btw, had to do it on the computer! There should be a better explanation on the old forum as this was where I discovered how to stop them.

When I got a new phone it started all over again and I went straight back to the vodaphone shop (which we had only just left!) and complained very bitterly and the shop assistant reluctantly went on line to cancel it for us.

Just realised you said you went to a website for an access code ... you need to go back to that exact website to enter 'baja' everywhere until it stops. It should send you a text message to accept your baja.

carpenter
17-10-2012, 22:06
You dont say what phone you have but if its a smartphone, you could have installed an app which is letting these messages through.
You could try searching for the offending app and deleting it. Or there are apps which detect and block notification messages... on android there is Airblocker - airpush block for example.

Hope this helps in some way.

My phone is 7 years old and never heard of an app :)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

You need to contact your service provider and request that they block all premium rate texts. They must do this under Spanish law.

Great advice thank you

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We found the only way was to go online to the website in question and go through a lot of hoops typing 'baja' at every turn until it finally stopped. also contact your service provider and ask them to refund the costs of these calls (might work, might not but some friends of ours kicked up a fuss and got them refunded). We didn't manage to do this on the phone, btw, had to do it on the computer! There should be a better explanation on the old forum as this was where I discovered how to stop them.

When I got a new phone it started all over again and I went straight back to the vodaphone shop (which we had only just left!) and complained very bitterly and the shop assistant reluctantly went on line to cancel it for us.

Just realised you said you went to a website for an access code ... you need to go back to that exact website to enter 'baja' everywhere until it stops. It should send you a text message to accept your baja.

Cheers, the website did not say they would give my info and didn't have a check box. The site was in fact recommended by a forum member for music downloads and now ironically it has probably cost me more for those free downloads than if I'd just bought the albums in the first place.
I'll try Orange as soon as poss to see if they can stop the texts

klm
17-10-2012, 22:53
I think if you send the word BAJA to the same number you receive the message from it "should" work, but you may have to do it for various numbers if you are receiving from a few different numbers.
Like TF1 states you should ring your provider and have them restrict all premium calls, that definately works. At the same time try a reclamation, they may only refund the charges on this last bill, but it's better than nothing !
Good luck.....

carpenter
17-10-2012, 23:35
I think if you send the word BAJA to the same number you receive the message from it "should" work, but you may have to do it for various numbers if you are receiving from a few different numbers.
Like TF1 states you should ring your provider and have them restrict all premium calls, that definately works. At the same time try a reclamation, they may only refund the charges on this last bill, but it's better than nothing !
Good luck.....

There is no number to reply to, just a link.
I've never bothered with a contract so it's pay as you go for me,

Sadly it's more of the paying and less of the going

BoPeep
18-10-2012, 09:43
If BAJA doesnt work try STOP

carpenter
18-10-2012, 22:31
If BAJA doesnt work try STOP

Thanks but there is no number to reply to!!

Anyway after advice from you guys I took myself along to Orange in Grand Sur today and sorted the problem.
The kind girl behind the desk told me I had to contact Orange assistance myself. After refusing to accept this and also refusing to leave and saying (at risk of sounding like a fool) "it's your duty to help me and by not doing so you are breaking Spanish law" she called them for me and Bob's yer uncle.

She also said her boss would kill her if he found out!

So all sorted and thanks everyone.

slodgedad
19-10-2012, 01:07
Thanks but there is no number to reply to!!

Anyway after advice from you guys I took myself along to Orange in Grand Sur today and sorted the problem.
The kind girl behind the desk told me I had to contact Orange assistance myself. After refusing to accept this and also refusing to leave and saying (at risk of sounding like a fool) "it's your duty to help me and by not doing so you are breaking Spanish law" she called them for me and Bob's yer uncle.

She also said her boss would kill her if he found out!

So all sorted and thanks everyone.

This seems to be a stock reply with a lot of businesses here.

If it were the case do you think they would put their job on the line for a stranger?

Pure idleness..