PDA

View Full Version : My laptop keeps giving me a 'not responding' message

penelope pitstop
18-10-2012, 16:04
My Acer laptop is driving me mad! Every time I use it whether for e mails or on websites the message 'not responding' comes up & it starts buffering. Because of this is it is taking me twice as long to do anything.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to stop this please?

junglejim
18-10-2012, 16:19
Have you tried clearing your cookies and Temp files - use something like CCleaner from Piriform
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
use free version and do not pay for anything - easy download , just use cleaner section and registry clean ( do not save to registry)

You may need to defrag your hard drive via protection programme or Control panel.

penelope pitstop
18-10-2012, 16:23
Am I likely to lose any data? I have a weekly defrag in the laptop & the Norton antivirus.

I have CC cleaner already but have never used it. Just worried I may lose things.

AL JAY
18-10-2012, 16:31
I use piriform ccleaner as JJ advised weekly,you have options where you can tick/untick boxes but i just leave it to its own devices,never lost any data! great bit of kit and free! I have Avast antivirus but still run malwarebytes once a week for anything it may miss! All free!

Ecky Thump
18-10-2012, 16:48
Am I likely to lose any data? I have a weekly defrag in the laptop & the Norton antivirus.

I have CC cleaner already but have never used it. Just worried I may lose things.

It removes unneeded files, cookies, searches, history etc. You won't lose any needed data...its a great tool. I run it on most days.:)

junglejim
18-10-2012, 17:02
You won´t lose anything as long as you stick to those 2 - cleaner , registry - a weekly defrag seems a lot unless you are downloading and removing lots of files ?
You have to close down your browser and other programmes then once you have used CCleaner , restart your computer
I use free version of AVG and never had an issue - so far x

Vortex Wake
18-10-2012, 17:10
My Acer laptop is driving me mad! Every time I use it whether for e mails or on websites the message 'not responding' comes up & it starts buffering. Because of this is it is taking me twice as long to do anything.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to stop this please?

Do a TEST - place you laptop beside the router and then carry on. This should help determine whether you are getting a slow connection between router and laptop or not.

Wifi routers are very pron to interference from other..........................ROUTERS! And also things like Microwave ovens. So the test by placing the laptop next to the router should allow a faster connection.

mike in chayofa
18-10-2012, 17:17
Unlikely to be an internet connection problem. As others have mentioned, the first place to start is to use Ccleaner.

You can test your internet connection speed HERE (http://www.testsdevelocidad.es/?gclid=CO2-yMKXg6ECFY4U4wod4iS-BQ)

Another very useful (and free) bit of kit is Advanced SystemCare 5 which you will find using a Google search

Fivepence
18-10-2012, 17:25
Unlikely to be an internet connection problem. As others have mentioned, the first place to start is to use Ccleaner.

You can test your internet connection speed HERE (http://www.testsdevelocidad.es/?gclid=CO2-yMKXg6ECFY4U4wod4iS-BQ)

Another very useful (and free) bit of kit is Advanced SystemCare 5 which you will find using a Google search

I also use Advanced System Care and find it easier to use than Ccleaner.

AL JAY
18-10-2012, 17:59
One thing to be careful about with ASC5 is it can load a bit of unwanted junk so make sure you take your time and don't just click on next step etc,opt out of the extra feature's!

warbey
18-10-2012, 19:22
I too use cccleaner weekly. I have never had trouble. It also gives You the option to backup if Youre not sure doesnt it.?

penelope pitstop
18-10-2012, 19:54
I have just used the CC cleaner & will see if it has helped, if it has I will use it weekly.

Thanks everyone

penelope pitstop
19-10-2012, 13:09
I thought the CC cleaner had worked, but I now still have the same problem, 'not responding'. Any other suggestions please?

junglejim
19-10-2012, 13:13
Have you access to another wifi signal, try to see if the problem is with your laptop and not the router by using a different signal source.
What browser are you using ? IE , Mozilla , Chrome?

penelope pitstop
19-10-2012, 13:37
No I don't have access to another wi fi signal. I am using Chrome. When I uninstalled Chrome last week when it affected some work I was doing I couldn't open my e mails, so had to re-install it!

Fivepence
19-10-2012, 13:38
I'm by no means an expert PP but it seams to me that it is a connection problem.
If you access the internet via WiFi, do you have your own router.
If so, try turning your laptop off and then rebooting your router.
It has worked for me in some instances when my wife's laptop wouldn't connect.
My pc is on cable broadband so I don't connect via WiFi.
Other members may be more familiar with routers and could probably give you more detailed advice.

:goodluck:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

No I don't have access to another wi fi signal. I am using Chrome. When I uninstalled Chrome last week when it affected some work I was doing I couldn't open my e mails, so had to re-install it!

Could you not go to a friend's or relative's home and try to connect there?
Just a thought!

penelope pitstop
19-10-2012, 13:42
NO-one nearby at the moment. My OH's laptop is working OK.

Vortex Wake
19-10-2012, 15:02

Jen, do try what I have written earlier in this thread - ALL you need to do is move the laptop next to the router as a temporary test.

You DO have a pass code set on the router don't you?

junglejim
19-10-2012, 16:23
Did this problem only occur after you reinstalled Chrome? Have you checked settings in Chrome - I am not familiar with this browser .

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/6361-restore-your-browser-to-default-settings#q=How+to+reset+google+chrome+browser&cur=1&url=%2F

penelope pitstop
25-10-2012, 15:46
Still getting the problem!

Fivepence
25-10-2012, 16:05
Hello PP, sorry to hear you still have this problem.

I am not an expert but have copied the following from the web: -

Try removing all wireless profiles stored in your computer and re-connect to your home wireless network, make sure that you have the correct encryption needed if your wireless is secured.
Here's a guide=> Click on Start select Control Panel. Select the Network and Internet option and then click the Network and Sharing Center. In the tasks on the left click Manage Wireless Networks. Click your network name in the list, then right-click and select Remove Network. This will clear out the profile. Then go back to the Network and Sharing Center and click Connect to a network and reconnect to your network.

:goodluck:

timmylish
26-10-2012, 03:16
Awwwwwww fer ..ck,s sakes do a simple test by connecting your lappy to your router using cable as opposed to wi-fi. If the problem persists then its not the signal, is it? If it sorts the the problem then you know that that,s the problem!
Bleddin' heck, the lack of common sense on here is incredible!

waveydavey
26-10-2012, 07:34
You have a virus in your computer, download Malwarebytes and run it on full scan,it will debug your system.Also get a decent anti virus like MSN

Fivepence
26-10-2012, 10:02

Awwwwwww fer ..ck,s sakes do a simple test by connecting your lappy to your router using cable as opposed to wi-fi. If the problem persists then its not the signal, is it? If it sorts the the problem then you know that that,s the problem!
Bleddin' heck, the lack of common sense on here is incredible!

Her OH's laptop is connecting Tim, so the problem must be her laptop.

Vortex Wake
26-10-2012, 10:19
If someone builds a large block of flats in between your TV aerial and the TV transmitter - you may experience a poorer TV picture.

If Jaypeeps uses her Laptop at one end of the house with the wireless router at the other end, AND there is interference (interference being , a Microwave oven, 'other routers on the same channel' a CLOSER 'OPEN' router being picked up from time-to-time on the laptop etc etc) in between the two - then a slower connection may occur.

My original point was a simple one to verify - good or bad, and required no expense or time wasted downloading more software.

Suej
26-10-2012, 11:26
I have an old Acer XP laptop as a spare and downloaded defraggler devised by CCleaner it takes a time but speeded up the old girl! I was also experiencing unresponsive programs and slow connection! my signal from my router shows as very good and the speed test shows 6.75mbps so not too slow! Is this an old computer PP?

penelope pitstop
28-10-2012, 17:59
You have a virus in your computer, download Malwarebytes and run it on full scan,it will debug your system.Also get a decent anti virus like MSN

I have MALWAREBYTES & scan regularly, it often shows up things that the Norton doesn't!

warbey
28-10-2012, 21:43
I was tempted to suggest You swop Computers.! doh.

Is Your Network set up, and is it protected with any Password.?

timmylish
28-10-2012, 23:43
This thread has been on the go for 10 days now with very little feedback from the O/p. I seem to recall a similar debacle with the O/p on the original site and something involving her Dad? I apologise if I,ve got it wrong but I do think when people post a thread and get the involvement of several members that said poster lets us know the outcome or the latest position!