PDA

View Full Version : Would you apply for Spanish nationality?

The Manxman
18-10-2012, 16:53
If the Scots vote for independence in their referendum and secede from the UK, the President of the European Commission (Barroso) has stated that they would have to apply for independent membership of the EU, which might be a lengthy process.

In the meantime, the Spanish government, who strongly oppose the break-up of nations because of Cataluña, Pais Basco, etc., may take a stance as a member state of the EU on the right of people who are no longer EU citizens to reside in Spain.

As a Manxman (the Isle of Man is not a member of the EU), I am entitled to a UK passport and am not concerned unless the remnants of the UK also vote in their referendum to leave the EU. In which case I will apply for Spanish nationality - no problem.

What do you think you might do?

junglejim
18-10-2012, 17:14
You may have a problem !
"European Union

The Isle of Man holds neither membership nor associate membership of the European Union. Protocol 3 of the UK's Act of Accession to the Treaty of Rome permits trade for Manx goods without tariffs.[44] In conjunction with the Customs and Excise agreement with the UK, this facilitates free trade with the UK. While Manx goods can be freely moved within the EU, capital and services cannot be.

EU citizens are entitled to travel and reside, but not work, in the island without restriction. And Manx citizens - without the hereditary qualification outlined above - are similarly restricted from working in the EU"

The Manxman
18-10-2012, 22:57
As a Manxman I am entitled to a British passport and havve had one all my life and, as far as the EU and its regulations are concerned, I am a citizen of the UK and of the EU.

More interesting is your situation (I assume you are a Scot?) should Scotland's secession from the UK occur.

doncarlos
19-10-2012, 07:38
But isn’t this further complicated by the possibility of certain individuals applying for dual-nationality? Manxman, I’m going out on a limb here and I’m assuming that you’re not of Spanish descent (rhetorical question), so are you talking about relinquishing your British nationality in exchange for Spanish nationality rather than applying for dual-nationality? If, by some remote possibility, Scotland did gain independence I’m guessing that a lot of individuals would be seeking dual-nationality (or maybe not!).

Hypothetically as for the UK leaving the EU, I think that whether people would apply for alternative citizenship would depend, in large, on the laws of the remaining UK state, the agreements in place between the state and other countries (or even the EU) and individuals’ personal circumstances (look at the situation in Norway). One can imagine that some individuals may want to sever all ties with the remnants of the UK which makes applying for French, German or Spanish citizenship less problematic. But similarly, membership of the EU could be accompanied by unfavourable changes for the member states, thus making EU membership less attractive for the citizens.

bonitatime
19-10-2012, 08:54
I am now a Spanish national. The paper work is complicated and as far as Spain is concerned I have no British citizenship. The British gov told me at the time that they didn't accept I would give up my citizenship and could keep renewing my passport
I have been here since I was a child and will never go anywhere else so for me it made sense. Not sure what I would do if the Canaries go independent.

junglejim
19-10-2012, 11:44
As a Manxman I am entitled to a British passport and havve had one all my life and, as far as the EU and its regulations are concerned, I am a citizen of the UK and of the EU.

More interesting is your situation (I assume you are a Scot?) should Scotland's secession from the UK occur.

I don't think there will be any secession as you call it unless Cameron & his cohorts make some monumental blunder and really upset us . The maximum vote will be around 40% IMO and put this to bed for a long time .
As far as Spanish Nationality goes , I see no benefit to me in changing from being a UK citizen .
More interesting might be what the government will do in near future to tax avoidance havens like the dependencies of IOM ,Channel Islands and BVI and others , where will all the non taxpayers go then ?

BoPeep
19-10-2012, 15:02
I think the English should have a referendum!

Didnt the EC change the rules so any country joining the EC now has to have the euro as part of their commitment? Perhaps I'm wrong because they said on Question Time last night when discussing the referendum that Scotland wanted to keep the pound.

The Manxman
19-10-2012, 20:36
I don't think there will be any secession as you call it unless Cameron & his cohorts make some monumental blunder and really upset us . The maximum vote will be around 40% IMO and put this to bed for a long time .
As far as Spanish Nationality goes , I see no benefit to me in changing from being a UK citizen .
More interesting might be what the government will do in near future to tax avoidance havens like the dependencies of IOM ,Channel Islands and BVI and others , where will all the non taxpayers go then ?

I am unaffected by tax avoidance as I'm too impoverished to qualify anywhere. I have no assets outside la Palma and certainly nothing in the Isle of Man so no problem.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

But isn’t this further complicated by the possibility of certain individuals applying for dual-nationality? Manxman, I’m going out on a limb here and I’m assuming that you’re not of Spanish descent (rhetorical question), so are you talking about relinquishing your British nationality in exchange for Spanish nationality rather than applying for dual-nationality? If, by some remote possibility, Scotland did gain independence I’m guessing that a lot of individuals would be seeking dual-nationality (or maybe not!).

Hypothetically as for the UK leaving the EU, I think that whether people would apply for alternative citizenship would depend, in large, on the laws of the remaining UK state, the agreements in place between the state and other countries (or even the EU) and individuals’ personal circumstances (look at the situation in Norway). One can imagine that some individuals may want to sever all ties with the remnants of the UK which makes applying for French, German or Spanish citizenship less problematic. But similarly, membership of the EU could be accompanied by unfavourable changes for the member states, thus making EU membership less attractive for the citizens.

Mrs. Manxman is very interested in your reply. Does anyone know how you apply to become a national of another country whilst saying at the time that you plan to hang on to your original nationality? We thought you could only do that if your parents have different nationalities or you are born in a country other than that of your parents' nationality. Mrs. M. is keen that we should continue to receive our British state pensions.

sundownersvince
19-10-2012, 23:41
Naturally. I assume you do speak Spanish and can pass the nationality tests?

Harmonicaman
20-10-2012, 10:37
Naturally. I assume you do speak Spanish and can pass the nationality tests?

"Si Senor, donde est dinero?":laugh:

Carol55
20-10-2012, 10:56
"Si Senor, donde est dinero?":laugh:

Mi Dinero esta en el bolsillo di mi marido!!:

Harmonicaman
20-10-2012, 11:15
Mi Dinero esta en el bolsillo di mi marido!!:

Has Ecky got short arms and deep pockets Carol? :laugh: (On topic: I would keep my UK Nationality).

Carol55
20-10-2012, 17:25
Has Ecky got short arms and deep pockets Carol? :laugh: (On topic: I would keep my UK Nationality).

Not when he has my money in them!!;)

I would also keep my UK Nationality.

carpenter
20-10-2012, 23:47
They smell, it's a dying language and they have no sense of self improvement. I would never consider becoming a Spanish citizen they are far to refined.