PDA

View Full Version : The Smoking ban in Tenerife

AL JAY
19-06-2011, 19:33
Thought i would open a new thread on this seeing as the last one is now in cyber space, I noticed the odd bar that was flouting the rules 2 weeks ago but other than that it seems to be working well as a whole, The only thing i found awkward was when we went to one of our favourite bars "St Eugens" which is on a corner so can't have an outside smoking area and there were 20 + people blocking the entrance having a fag like in the UK. Im a smoker myself and nipped out for one and people walking past had to step into the road. Its a very busy bar at the best of times and wonder what it would be like outside in peak season. Anyone got any updates seeing its a while since we discussed the ban?

Jackie
19-06-2011, 20:00
I don't have any problems with it at all, but then I can't remember the last time I actually sat 'inside' anywhere out here :)

sunspot
19-06-2011, 21:39
To be fair its not been a problem,theres just too many outside tables to sit at,but places with entertainment like shenanigans with no view from outside must be seeing a difference and be put off with folk going in and out all the time

sleepy
19-06-2011, 21:53
I managed to quit smoking seven weeks ago so to be honest this inside smoking ban has done me a great favour.Trouble is,where I used to sit outside all the time,I now find it difficult sitting watching others light up around me as it makes me want to do the same.I think they should really ban it on outside terraces too :whistle:

sunspot
19-06-2011, 21:56
Sleepy, thats a pushing it too far but thats ok if all the smokers get to go inside of the mostly air conditioned premises,nearer the bar and the loos.............no problem

sleepy
19-06-2011, 22:04
Sleepy, thats a pushing it too far but thats ok if all the smokers get to go inside of the mostly air conditioned premises,nearer the bar and the loos.............no problem

Yeah...I was only joking.This is my third attempt of trying to quit and I have to blame someone rather than oneself .:lol:

theedge92
19-06-2011, 22:04
Smoking ban has gone on for long enough now, when are the pubs gonna realise there not making as much profit. (maybe not in Tenerife, but definately UK) It should just go to the way it used to be. All the people who moan about smoking indoors are the ones that moan again when there outside when its hot and there with the smokers outside. I see in Scotland they might be scrapping the smoking ban in bars.

Harmonicaman
19-06-2011, 22:13
Smoking ban has gone on for long enough now, when are the pubs gonna realise there not making as much profit. (maybe not in Tenerife, but definately UK) It should just go to the way it used to be. All the people who moan about smoking indoors are the ones that moan again when there outside when its hot and there with the smokers outside. I see in Scotland they might be scrapping the smoking ban in bars.

Stop spreading rumours you...:poke: I haven't read that anywhere.:reading::)

caroll72
19-06-2011, 22:15
We used to love 1 particular chinese restaurant, but stopped going there when the smoking ban came into force in january.
We found alternative places to go where we could puff away to our hearts content on the terrace.

Have never wanted to inflict our smoke on the non - smokers, but it's time that the powers that be & bar owners got to grip.
Give us separate areas, get people back in bars & get profits back up.
Us die hards will just go elsewhere, or smoke in our own homes.

theedge92
19-06-2011, 22:19
Stop spreading rumours you...:poke: I haven't read that anywhere.:reading::)

No really i heard it somewhere, cant remember were though, me dad was telling me about it aswell. (i could of been intoxicated at the time.... so you no dont shoot the messenger as they say) haha

Tom & Sharon
20-06-2011, 09:09
I managed to quit smoking seven weeks ago so to be honest this inside smoking ban has done me a great favour.Trouble is,where I used to sit outside all the time,I now find it difficult sitting watching others light up around me as it makes me want to do the same.I think they should really ban it on outside terraces too :whistle:

It's illegal to smoke within 3m of a doorway in England. Is it not the same in Spain?

Jackie
20-06-2011, 09:30
I don't think so, from what I have seen as long as you are 'outside' then that is fine.

Sundowner
20-06-2011, 10:02
It's illegal to smoke within 3m of a doorway in England. Is it not the same in Spain?

There is no U.K. law to that effect..........some companies have included it as part of their No Smoking policy.

Tom & Sharon
20-06-2011, 10:04
There is no U.K. law to that effect..........some companies have included it as part of their No Smoking policy.

No, you're not right there, it is the law. Some people don't stick to it though. That's why when pubs and offices have official smoking areas, they are away from doorways.

Sundowner
20-06-2011, 11:02
No, you're not right there, it is the law. Some people don't stick to it though. That's why when pubs and offices have official smoking areas, they are away from doorways.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/alastair-jamieson/7120319/Smoking-ban-could-be-extended-to-cover-office-doorways.html

Tom & Sharon
20-06-2011, 11:12
I was trying to find a link for something myself, but all the legal stuff seems to be archived.

When the law came in in 2007, the restaurant I was working in, and all the others and pubs nearby were definitely told no smoking within 3m of the doorway.

We were told to remove all ashtrays from tables within 3m of the door, and to tell people they couldn't smoke there. This was Warrington Borough Council. Maybe all authorities are different?

fonica
20-06-2011, 11:36
In Tenerife the 3 meter from the doorway applies to public buildings like schools and hospitals.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/alastair-jamieson/7120319/Smoking-ban-could-be-extended-to-cover-office-doorways.html

Sundowner
20-06-2011, 11:39
I was trying to find a link for something myself, but all the legal stuff seems to be archived.

When the law came in in 2007, the restaurant I was working in, and all the others and pubs nearby were definitely told no smoking within 3m of the doorway.

We were told to remove all ashtrays from tables within 3m of the door, and to tell people they couldn't smoke there. This was Warrington Borough Council. Maybe all authorities are different?
Yes they are, they all have the power to introduce local by-laws, which was probably the case in Warrington.

williethetim
20-06-2011, 11:53

That is achievable by measuring with a hose found in the 3m hose thread

TOTO 99
20-06-2011, 13:05
As T&S say there is a distance ban in Warrington but its totally ignored. I think the council must be happy enough that the smokers are outside and I wonder if they even have the resources to chase it up with all the cut-backs? One hefty fine would probably be enough to shut a lot of pubs down so perhaps they turn a blind eye. You'd think that one of us would know someone who knows someone who's job it is to police the ban wouldn't you?
Last time I was in Tenerife I didn't see any bars that seemed to be affected by the ban to be honest. I think if they're closing it's for other reasons. It would be great if they did a 6 month test, allowing smoking again, just to see if it did make a difference.