PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork How much do funerals cost in Tenerife?

Rick
21-10-2012, 07:52
Hi,

I have bought my 82 year old mother over from UK to spend her last days with me to give her the best quality of life. She has terminal cancer with a prognosis of months. Knowing everything is taken care of for her will give her great peace of mind.

I have picked up a brochure for a Funeral Plan for her that states funerals here cost in region of €4,500. Is that a realistic figure? The plan offers prices starting from €3,245.

I realise those of you that may be able to offer me advise in this regard are likely to have lost a loved one and I offer you my sincere condolences.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Rick

casabonny
21-10-2012, 17:13
A basic funeral here costs anything upwards from 2500 euros depending on what type of coffin you require etc . There are two main funeral directors both in Santa Cruz , but certainly one has an office in the south that's called SERVISA and their south office is in Guaza. The other is next to the cemetery just off the motorway by Mercatenerife and the old Flex factory but I can't remember the name of it. HAving arranged funerals at both the latter is much nicer and more like what you get in the UK.
For a reasonable funeral plan contact Emma at Motorworld for a quote .
I wish you and your mother well .

primrose
21-10-2012, 17:28
What would a basic funeral consist off?

Rick
21-10-2012, 18:15
Hi

Thank you Mum wants to be cremated if that makes any difference.

casabonny
21-10-2012, 21:34
That's really all that's on offer unless you are a Canarian family who have a reserved niche . Basic funeral is a cheap coffin ,and no service just the cremation

Bob
21-10-2012, 21:44
call Sally (Tenerife Angels) she has all the info you require,

Pm me for her number

sunspot
21-10-2012, 22:48
When my husband passed away there is not alot of time to think about the funeral, i was told about SERVISA in Guaza and from the time they met me at the hospice in the north they handled everything with respect but i found the way the things are handled here so different,i was picked up from the hospice and taken to the crematorium to select the coffin, the urn and to choose what kind of service i required, this within 3 hours of him passing away,then they went to fetch him and bring him to the crematorium, i waited for a couple of hours befor i was allowed to see him, this was a monday and the service was booked for the thursday, i would have prefered the service on the following monday but the added costs were far too much, the total for the church, no priest,coffin, urn and the SERVISA services was 3380.32 and the whole process was handled with dignity by the SERVISA company, this money has to be paid in full befor the service.
I must admit it was nice to have an office in guaza, i took his clothes there for him to wear and also was able to pick up his ashes there too.
I am really sorry to hear about your mum but i think you are so right getting these things in order befor the time comes, its so hard to think straight when the time comes.

sundownersvince
21-10-2012, 23:00
Thanks for starting this thread Rick. Something we all need to consider but it just gets put to the back of the queue really. Hope your Mum enjoys her time in the sun.

Vince.

timmylish
22-10-2012, 02:17
We have had an insurance, to cover all funeral costs, for a number of years here. When looking at costs we gave an indication of coffin, urn place of cremation and office to handle the procedures. The company gave us a tarjeta each with a telephone number available 24 hr per day 365 days ayear. From the moment the call is made the company take over EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING. The remaining partner just has to deliver uip to date passport, residence papers etc etc and a set of clothing for the deceased. They advise us of the date and time of cremation and will even arrange for invitations (more a Spanish thing). We both feel very comfortable with this Policy and arrangements.
There was a thread on this topic about 18 months ago just in case you want to look at that one.

allao
23-10-2012, 00:42
Let's hope that Tenerife climate will make a miracle to your mother with months prognosis being erroneous and she may get better.
I guess even in the terminal stage everyone wants to have some more time left. When my grandfather passed away, my grandmom said "I would like to live some 10 years after him". When the time came and she was on her amort, she said: "Why I did not ask for 15 years?"

caretenerife
23-10-2012, 22:15
We have just helped a good friend arrange her husbands funeral, the hospital had started to make the arrangements and she was told it would be a minimum of €3200, I suggest she spoke to Funcanarias, now based in Valle San Lorenzo, and with our help the cost was reduced to €2300 for a cremation and a nice service
Unfortunately sometimes the hospital can offer to help and obviously use the same directors they always use, ( they will be on good commission) and as with my friend the grief and the lack of understanding can prove costly, I know of another person who paid over €5000 by arranging via the hospital

slodgedad
23-10-2012, 22:18
We have just helped a good friend arrange her husbands funeral, the hospital had started to make the arrangements and she was told it would be a minimum of €3200, I suggest she spoke to Funcanarias, now based in Valle San Lorenzo, and with our help the cost was reduced to €2300 for a cremation and a nice service
Unfortunately sometimes the hospital can offer to help and obviously use the same directors they always use, ( they will be on good commission) and as with my friend the grief and the lack of understanding can prove costly, I know of another person who paid over €5000 by arranging via the hospital

Thanks for such a helpful post

timmylish
23-10-2012, 22:36
That seems very, very reasonable. Delighted that you were in a position to help.
This just emphasises the need to sort out things before its too late and have to rely on the help of others (who may just be there at the time!).

caretenerife
24-10-2012, 07:15
funeral plans do tend to work out more expensive, but at least it takes out the bother at that difficult time
Unfortunately in our line of work, help with funeral arrangements are something we tend to do on a regular basis after being involved in end of life care, so we now now the most affordable way to do it.

KirstyJay
24-10-2012, 13:07
so we now now the most affordable way to do it.Which is...? :D

EDIT > Just seen your earlier post... Do you mean this way?...

ribuck
24-10-2012, 14:02
I don't know about Tenerife, but in many countries it's possible (and quite common) to have an early cremation, which means that the body is cremated as soon as practical, and a service of rememberance is held separately later. Therefore a coffin is not needed, nor does the body to be preserved, dressed etc. This would cut the costs right down.

When my father died on a cruise ship, he was cremated without a coffin (in Russia, the nearest country). When my mother died in Australia, she was cremated without a coffin and we arranged a private commemoration of her life at a friend's large house. This was by choice rather than to save money (although it certainly did), and we thought the private ceremony was nicer than the ones we had for my grandparents (held at the chapel associated with the cemetery).

slodgedad
24-10-2012, 18:38
I don't know about Tenerife, but in many countries it's possible (and quite common) to have an early cremation, which means that the body is cremated as soon as practical, and a service of rememberance is held separately later. Therefore a coffin is not needed, nor does the body to be preserved, dressed etc. This would cut the costs right down.

When my father died on a cruise ship, he was cremated without a coffin (in Russia, the nearest country). When my mother died in Australia, she was cremated without a coffin and we arranged a private commemoration of her life at a friend's large house. This was by choice rather than to save money (although it certainly did), and we thought the private ceremony was nicer than the ones we had for my grandparents (held at the chapel associated with the cemetery).

I've often thought the same.

Why pay 4 figures for a coffin to be burned, and are the ashes you receive wood or loved one?

It would never have occurred to me until I reached dying age.

tfemark
21-11-2012, 00:33
I would just like to add that I am a representative for Avalon funeral plans here in the Canaries I am finding that more and more people are taking advantage of our service for peace of mind as well as relieving those that are left behind from the extra worry of taking care of a funeral in a foreign country, increasingly important for many expats that still have their family in England especially.

duquessa
06-12-2012, 14:43
on another note is there anywhere online i can see the deaths in Tenerife lately. Our local paper lists it online. Is it the same for Tenerife? Thanks.