PDA

View Full Version : Education Which school should I choose for my kids in South Tenerife?

klama
23-10-2012, 16:52
Hello everyone . I am new on this forum .
I am planning to move to South Tenerife in next month with my two lovely daughters ( 11 and 8 years old ). I am really misled which school i should to choose . I mean public Spanish school.

Do you have some good experience ....high level, safe , a lots of activity

Thank you :)

casabonny
23-10-2012, 17:36
It is really going to depend on where you live , as there is a catchment area thing applied normally . Kirsty is probably the best person to ask on this subject.

klama
23-10-2012, 17:44
I thought parents might recommended any school.

I have plan first to find school for kids and then apartment for long time stay .

casabonny
23-10-2012, 18:31
My daughter went to a private school so I am not in a position to recommend but I do know that the school in Adeje( Los Olivias) has a very good reputation . I am sure someone will be along shortly who can help more

slodgedad
23-10-2012, 19:03
As has been stated it depends on the catchment area.

Until you have an address then it is difficult to advise, unless you want to find the best schools and move nearby.:tiphat:

bonitatime
31-10-2012, 20:14
Both are still juniors, i am not sure they will get a place in las Nieves or what ever it is called but Los Olivos is fine And might have places
Please Think very carefully about bringing an 11 year old and put ring them into the Spanish system. At that age adaptation is not easy.

DonnaFranka
05-11-2012, 00:52
At 11 your daughter will go straight into the `instituto`, where she will do her 4 years of the ESO (Secondary education). There is Los Olivos or Galeon depends which is the closest to where you will live if you chose the Adeje area. My boys are at both these schools and they are both very good.

Remember that in Spain the class years are divided up into the year of birth, not September to July as in the UK. In Spain the kids repeat the same year if they have not done well. So the school will make sure that your daughters have caught up with their class mates before they pass them on to the next scolastic year.

A word of encouragement.....we have been here more that 17 years and my boys have been through the school system here and they have seen many non Spanish speaking kids from all over join their classes and within a 3 to 4 months they are already practically bi-lingual. Age 11 and 8 are fine. Its when kids come over at 14 upwards that may have some problems.

The only complaint I have about the schooling here is that the Spanish Baccalaureat is very difficult because it is 8 subjects. As you can imagine it`s very hard to be very good in 8 subjects. Whereas in the UK the A levels are only 3 or 4 subjects.

Good luck...