PDA

View Full Version : Other Will the General strike in Canaries on the 14th November affect flights?

candy2411
23-10-2012, 19:07
It's reported in the local paper that a general strike is being called on 14th november as a protest against proposed budget cuts.

Is this likely to impact flights on that day does anyone know?

slodgedad
23-10-2012, 19:13
I was about to ask the same thing.

I'm flying to the UK on that day, hopefully..:flatcap:

delderek
23-10-2012, 19:20
Change it now.

Fred Perry
23-10-2012, 19:22
The General strike was called last week for 14th Nov.
Will it affect? Well, I am sure there will be delays yes on that day. Especially as this one is being called for both Spain & Portugal on the same day (air traffic).

Other times most small businesses in the tourist areas have stayed open(or closed just in the mornings when the pickets are about during their march) and the bigger ones have been forced to close.

News today that The Canaries are now the officially the poorest area of Spain with over 33% below the poverty line.

timmylish
23-10-2012, 22:27
There is no doubt that everyone will feel the effect of this strike and as has been suggested I would change my flights if not too expensive and take the worry out of your holiday. For us residents it will just be like a Public Holiday (the effect).

candy2411
24-10-2012, 09:14
I'm booked on a flight back to the UK on 14th but its going to cost more to cancel and re-book than the flight cost.

If the flight is cancelled, then I hope I'm right in thinking the airline will re-schedule to the next available flight at no charge.If I've got this wrong maybe someone can enlighten me.

(I don't mind if I get few days extra holiday!):)

LUCKY
24-10-2012, 09:53
:feret:Does anyone remember any previous general strikes in Tenerife ?:flatcap::feret:

imablue
24-10-2012, 10:51
:feret:Does anyone remember any previous general strikes in Tenerife ?:flatcap::feret:

Yes..March 2011...
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?14905-Is-there-going-to-be-a-General-Strike-this-Thursday-29th-March/page5