PDA

View Full Version : Relocation North versus South Tenerife

carpenter
24-10-2012, 22:53
I've spent the last three days in Buenavista and Garachico and I have to say that the North of the island knocks spots off the South. The open banana plantations, the greenness of the hills, the architecture, the absence of uncouth Brits, the Spanish language everywhere, the unspoiled scenery, not a footy shirt in sight but yet so much tourism. It's what Tenerife really is about.

Why oh why do most British expats choose to live in the South? It's all very well saying the work and the weather but is the weather all that different? and as Tenerife is really a retirement island the work argument doesn't carry much weight either, especially with over 30% unemployment anyway.

You only have to drive 20 mins up to El Tanque and beyond before you start to taste the clouds, and the views are spectacular.

If you can afford to live here without working then choose the North, it's beautiful!

timmylish
24-10-2012, 22:59
I've spent the last three days in Buenavista and Garachico and I have to say that the North of the island knocks spots off the South. The open banana plantations, the greenness of the hills, the architecture, the absence of uncouth Brits, the Spanish language everywhere, the unspoiled scenery, not a footy shirt in sight but yet so much tourism. It's what Tenerife really is about.

Why oh why do most British expats choose to live in the South? It's all very well saying the work and the weather but is the weather all that different? and as Tenerife is really a retirement island the work argument doesn't carry much weight either, especially with over 30% unemployment anyway.

You only have to drive 20 mins up to El Tanque and beyond before you start to taste the clouds, and the views are spectacular.

If you can afford to live here without working then choose the North, it's beautiful!

I just sit here and wonder how long did it take you to come to this amazing realisation? Answer that honestly and there lies the answer and reason to live to elsewhere on this Island.

carpenter
24-10-2012, 23:11
I just sit here and wonder how long did it take you to come to this amazing realisation? Answer that honestly and there lies the answer and reason to live to elsewhere on this Island.

1st day Buenavista, 1st time I'd been there for 2 and half years. The Teno road is just something else but it was Garachico that had an instant impact on me, all of 3 mins I would say before I though wow this is the place!

Again the 1st day a few of us stopped off at the petrol station just after the road becomes single lane after the North Airport and gazed across the sea, the 2nd and 3rd day we traveled the Santaigo Del Teide route with Masca thrown in for good measure yesterday.
I had some guys with me that have been around the world several times and they just couldn't stop taking pictures

TheBloke
24-10-2012, 23:22
I live in Chio so far away from Americas but close enough to all the things you have described and yes it's a different world to see and enjoy but to live and work in these towns is very difficult.

Carpenter....I'm pretty sure you lived in La Escalona?yes or no.

Did you prefer life there or in The Golf?

The island is stunning but when you have to survive you don't look at the scenery.This is why people live in the south...as you do.

carpenter
24-10-2012, 23:41
You are right I did live in Escalona. I moved to the coast from the hills because of Spanish bureaucracy. The houses opposite ours were illegal and ours were legal but because the illegal ones had put a black mark against them all we couldn't get a telephone or internet we didn't have post, our house number didn't exist the electric company turned the houses off the week we moved out because the landlord hadn't put any meters in but it was lovely up there. We had to move because the missus became pregnant and we couldn't risk any technical hiccups.

Mention Tenerife to anyone and 9 out of 10 will turn their noses up! Why because no one knows about Garachico and the like.

But I as I said in the OP it's really the question of why do people that don't need to work choose to live in the tackier, uglier south?

candy2411
25-10-2012, 09:06
Agree the North is more beautiful and scenery more spectacular.I have wondered what first time visitors to the island must think on arrival at Tenerife Sur.

Apart from the lovely palm trees the trip along the expressway is a bit dull and the landscape most uninspiring.

However, for me the temperature and sunshine is everything. Every time I've travelled to the North its felt cool, mostly cloudy and I've regretted leaving that lovely sunshine behind. Maybe I've been unlucky.

Ecky Thump
25-10-2012, 09:11
Mention Tenerife to anyone and 9 out of 10 will turn their noses up! Why because no one knows about Garachico and the like.

But I as I said in the OP it's really the question of why do people that don't need to work choose to live in the tackier, uglier south?

I would like to know where you get your figures from that 9 out of 10 have no knowledge about Garachico and the like, also you say that people turn their noses up when you mention Tenerife, as in my experiance that is rubbish.

Tacky and ugly south.....is your opinion (which your entitled to think), not the opinion of the many thousands of people who visit, live and work there.

Skeggy
25-10-2012, 09:26
This thread will only highlight how Tenerife has something for everyone, during our holidays we have visited most areas staying in the south we have travelled to the north, staying three nights and exploring mostly on foot but also using what we think is a fantastic bus service, this time we are staying in Santa Cruz to sample city life and better acess to the Anaga but being familar with the south I am sure we will spend some time there. Tenerife all things to all people..........People I associate with certainly don't turn there noses up, but usually express friendly envy.....

tracy hampshire
25-10-2012, 09:28
i live in the north in icod de los vinos, & of course couldnīt agree more it really is beautiful, iīve only visited the south on a few occasions & couldnīt imagine living there, many europeans live up here, quite a few brits but mostly germans, i persoally think the climate here is better than the south, it is hot most of the time but we do get the odd cool day which is lovely, i also find that it is cheaper, we rent an old 4 bed canarian house for 200 euros a month, the cost of food is cheaper because basically the locals wont pay the silly prices the tourists will, the bus service is very good so if you fancy a day in the south itīs only a bus ride away, what is there not to like :cheeky:

amanda
25-10-2012, 10:02
have to agree with you carpenter love the north lived up there in the mid seventies as an au pair than working for a car company, my husband comes from the north yes but it has changed over the years go as often as we can, also had lots of lovely holidays in puerto de la cruz with are childrenahh

ribuck
25-10-2012, 10:58
I prefer the north. It's almost as warm, but it's shadier so I don't get sunburned so often. The scenery is greener. The mountainous parts are absolutely stunning. There are plenty of great beaches (I don't mind black sand when it's not gravelly). Most things are a little cheaper in the north, including beer and bocadillos. Apart from the very center of Puerto, there are no looky-looky men trying to bother you. And there's still a genuine rural lifestyle that's very warm and friendly.

I've just returned from a week based in Puerto de la Cruz, and a week based in Icod de los Vinos, both of which were fantastic. Places I love in the North include the tiny village of Teno Alto, all the villages along the Masca road, the whole El Palmar valley, the town of Los Silos, Garachico of course, Playa Bollullo and the Punto Bravo end of Playa Jardin (near Puerto), Playa San Marcos (near Icod), and just about the whole of the Anaga peninsular, plus for me the mountain hiking around Erjos, Chiņero, Talavera, Montaņa Limon, Teno and Anaga.

Downsides for some people will be the relative lack of English, and the inability to find an "English Breakfast". But I don't mind those things.

tfs_longlets
25-10-2012, 11:42
If I could afford to live here without working, although the south has more sunshine, the north is greener and prettier, I would be off straight away, because neither of them are a patch on La Palma (sorry to give away your secret, cainaries).

junglejim
25-10-2012, 12:10
I agree with you Tracy , Icod and surrounding area are lovely - I have taken the great bus ride a few times and thoroughly enjoyed my visits, so laid back !
I could easily stay in North/Nortwest but my other half doesnīt so we compromise ,but I have no chance of persuading her away -believe me Iīve tried !

chifleta
25-10-2012, 16:28

I lived in Garachico for just under a year, my in-laws (I should say future, but i've been with their son for 20 years) live there, my bro-in-law lives in Los Silos, OH's nan and grandad (RIP) lived in La Caleta, and my sis-in-law lives in Genoves (gets darnnnnnnn cold up there I can tell you, but they have spectacular views of Teide from their bedroom windows) .....

I found it difficult living there initially because I didn't speak a word of Spanish, and OH was in Puerto all day working, that and living in a 5th floor apartment with no lift and a new-born and post natal depression didn't help my enjoyment.

It's a beautiful place, but when the low pressure clouds move in it's migraine time for me - if I could move to the North and afford it, the only place i'd want is this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/turismodetenerife/4618472975/

We moved to the South because OH got work here.... and funnily enough we like living in El Fraile for the time being (16 years so far) because the only Brits here are like-minded.... we don't want anything to do with each other :whistle:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We had to move because the missus became pregnant and we couldn't risk any technical hiccups.

LOL you've just bought back some memories.... when our son decided to make an appearance, OH had to drive us from Garachico to Puerto.... 19 years ago there were NO DECENT ROADS along that stretch .... omg the bumps and potholes were horrendous...

ribuck
25-10-2012, 20:04
... if I could move to the North and afford it, the only place i'd want is this one:
Heh, I've noticed that mansion from the 363 bus - but if I lived in it I'd go bananas.

tracy hampshire
25-10-2012, 20:31
Heh, I've noticed that mansion from the 363 bus - but if I lived in it I'd go bananas. is that the place in the plantation between icod & el guincho, itīs beautiful & you can walk round the plantation, thereīs also a lovely little pebble beach at guincho, quite a hike down there, but very quite, you can spend the day there & see only a couple of people, then a lovely little fish restaurant, blink & youīll miss it, they serve fresh fish which you pick off a tray they bring to the table, you choose & they cook it, they have one or two starters & a dessert, itīs like going to there house for dinner, but so wonderfully fresh,well worth a visit x

marbro8
25-10-2012, 21:08
we have only been to lorro park for the day so can not really comment on the north, but i have seen it on programme's like a place in the sun,and we have been coming to the island now for about 5-6 years 2 times a year, but we love the south, the weather the people the scenery the coastal walks the friendly atmos, it really is everything we want from a holiday, and hopefully in the near future we hope to be able to spend even more time there, at the end of the day every one to their own:wink2:

ribuck
25-10-2012, 21:45
is that the place in the plantation between icod & el guincho
That's the one I was thinking of, Tracy, but now that I look on Google Satellite View I'm not sure it's the same one as in chifleta's photo. A week ago I could have gone and had a look, but I'm back in England now.

Guincho beach does look worth visiting when I'm in Tenerife again.

Hey, when you say you rent a Canarian house in Icod for €200 a month, I presume you mean a modern masonry house and not one of those old timber houses with wooden balconies and internal courtyards. That would be just too unbelievable...

tracy hampshire
25-10-2012, 22:00
That's the one I was thinking of, Tracy, but now that I look on Google Satellite View I'm not sure it's the same one as in chifleta's photo. A week ago I could have gone and had a look, but I'm back in England now.

Hey, when you say you rent a Canarian house in Icod for €200 a month, I presume you mean a modern masonry house and not one of those old timber houses with wooden balconies and internal courtyards. That would be just too unbelievable... not one of the lovely old houses with the balconies, just one of the traditional old single story houses, has got a central yard with the main house on one side & out buildings on the other, &a big roof terrace, had been up for sale for 4 years so we just rang to ask if they would rent, & bingo, we have done cosmetic work on the place painting & plastering a bit of tlc, but are being reinburst for the cost of materials bt the owner , & only paying 100 euros a month for the first 10 months , with a minimum of 2 years contract so iīm happy with that, some really cheap old places to rent up here .

Hey, when you say you rent a Canarian house in Icod for €200 a month, I presume you mean a modern masonry house and not one of those old timber houses with wooden balconies and internal courtyards. That would be just too unbelievable... not one of the lovely old houses with the balconies, just one of the traditional old single story houses, has got a central yard with the main house on one side & out buildings on the other, &a big roof terrace, had been up for sale for 4 years so we just rang to ask if they would rent, & bingo, we have done cosmetic work on the place painting & plastering a bit of tlc, but are being reinburst for the cost of materials bt the owner , & only paying 100 euros a month for the first 10 months , with a minimum of 2 years contract so iīm happy with that, some really cheap old places to rent up here .

how have i managed to repeat myself twice ??? lol

carpenter
25-10-2012, 22:55

That looks like the plantation just as you leave Icod on the right below the road to Garachico.

If it is that one then I know a secret about that house...........

I would like to know where you get your figures from that 9 out of 10 have no knowledge about Garachico and the like, also you say that people turn their noses up when you mention Tenerife, as in my experiance that is rubbish.

Tacky and ugly south.....is your opinion (which your entitled to think), not the opinion of the many thousands of people who visit, live and work there.

Stop with the bold print will you!
99.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;)

No one I have questioned recently have heard of any of the places I have mentioned, never heard of the larva tunnels, the Guanches it's pathetic, with all this history all people know of is that Tenerife is a typical destination for 18-30 holidays stag and hen nights and time share. Tacky as can be I'm afraid, sorry if I've offended any estate agents trying to sell to anyone.
If your experience is of people getting excited about Tenerife then hooray for you in MY OPINION it's the opposite

chifleta
25-10-2012, 23:15
is that the place in the plantation between icod & el guincho, itīs beautiful & you can walk round the plantation, thereīs also a lovely little pebble beach at guincho, quite a hike down there, but very quite, you can spend the day there & see only a couple of people, then a lovely little fish restaurant, blink & youīll miss it, they serve fresh fish which you pick off a tray they bring to the table, you choose & they cook it, they have one or two starters & a dessert, itīs like going to there house for dinner, but so wonderfully fresh,well worth a visit x

Oh I didn't know you could walk round it.... or do you mean literally walk round the banana plantation, outside? LOL ... hopefully if OH comes and picks us up on our last day, we can go there before we go visit his parents before heading back SOuth :) .......... I think OH used to fish on the coast there when he was young.

how have i managed to repeat myself twice ??? lol

nay three times even LOL

That looks like the plantation just as you leave Icod on the right below the road to Garachico.

If it is that one then I know a secret about that house...........

TELL MEEEEEEEE .............. NOWWWWWWWWWWW

ps yes it's the one between Icod and Garachico

carpenter
25-10-2012, 23:27

ps yes it's the one between Icod and Garachico

Secret PM'd :)

chifleta
25-10-2012, 23:29
Secret PM'd :)

Secret safe with me :wink2::whistle:

YOUNG GOLFER
25-10-2012, 23:31

I think most people will agree that the areas you have seen are beautiful.....but it's the same everywhere a little like most major cities in the UK they are not that pretty but people have to work there as that's where the work is.

I have lived here over 20yrs in the south(now adeje or El Galeon) but one day I will find a nice little place like the ones you have seen over the last few days.

I wish I could move there now but we have a good business in the south the kids love their friends and school so as long as they are happy the we are happy.
At the end of the day both here and the UK people do what the do to make a living and when the time is right sale up and move to where you want be it in the countyside or up the mountains here in Tenerife that's my dream.

Nice house bit of land and a few huge orange trees.
Happy Days.

carpenter
25-10-2012, 23:37
I think most people will agree that the areas you have seen are beautiful.....but it's the same everywhere a little like most major cities in the UK they are not that pretty but people have to work there as that's where the work is.
I have lived here over 20yrs in the south(now adeje or El Galeon) but one day I will find a nice little place like the ones you have seen over the last few days.
I wish I could move there now but we have a good business in the south the kids love their friends and school so as long as they are happy the we are happy.
At the end of the day both here and the UK people do what the do to make a living and when the time is right sale up and move to where you want be it in the countyside or up the mountains here in Tenerife that's my dream.

Nice house bit of land and a few huge orange trees.
Happy Days.

YG I can see now I was badly putting my point across. Work is a pain but on an island this size is commuting an hour an 20mins each way that hard? but the main point was, if you don't have to work ie: the retired and the rich why choose the south? In MY OPINION it really is ugly in comparison and tacky

tracy hampshire
25-10-2012, 23:37
Oh I didn't know you could walk round it.... or do you mean literally walk round the banana plantation, outside? LOL ... hopefully if OH comes and picks us up on our last day, we can go there before we go visit his parents before heading back SOuth :) .......... I think OH used to fish on the coast there when he was young.

nay three times even LOL

ps yes it's the one between Icod and Garachico you can walk around the whole plantation area loads of lovely little paths, we take the dogs walking there sometimes x

YOUNG GOLFER
25-10-2012, 23:55
Well i guess the rich can choose where ever they want to live.
But in my case with 2 little girs that are settled in school with loads of little friends........... I could not do that to them to live in the sticks so to speak they love their little lives here going next door for tea or after school activities playing tennis or swimming club with their friends and they have loads of little mates.
I want my kids to be happy and they are and that makes me and mummy happy but when they get older mummy and daddy will have a nice finca or villa up in the mountains.
They of course can visit but one thing for sure they won't be allowed to bring their boyfriends lol .
Forgot to add 90 mins there and back would I think put a strain on any relationship more so as the island is that small.
And think about all they time you would be away from your little one.
You get up she is asleep you get home she is asleep not what lifeis all about in my eyes.

Ecky Thump
26-10-2012, 09:26
Stop with the bold print will you!
99.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;)

No one I have questioned recently have heard of any of the places I have mentioned, never heard of the larva tunnels, the Guanches it's pathetic, with all this history all people know of is that Tenerife is a typical destination for 18-30 holidays stag and hen nights and time share.Tacky as can be I'm afraid, sorry if I've offended any estate agents trying to sell to anyone.
If your experience is of people getting excited about Tenerife then hooray for you in MY OPINION it's the opposite

Well your statistics are certainly made on the spot!! :)

You need to get out a bit more and meet with a different circle of people.;)

Yes, indeed....Hooray for me and the many thousands of people who get excited about Tenerife.:jumping:

tracy hampshire
26-10-2012, 09:51
i think this thread just goes to show what a great island tenerife is & it really has got something for everyone, whatever you want out of a holiday or a lifestyle itīs all packed in here on this little rock:)

Sundowner
26-10-2012, 12:21
I love the South!!

When coming in to land at TFS seeing the beaches from the aircraft window gets me excited:spin:

I agree that other parts of the island are beautiful.......and very easy to visit from the South:D

We all want different things when we holiday and that is what makes Tenerife a Great holiday destination!!
Because it has something for everyone.

Would I feel the same if living there as a swallow or resident.........I don't know,time will tell.

Suej
26-10-2012, 12:24
I love the South!!

When coming in to land at TFS seeing the beaches from the aircraft window gets me excited:spin:

I agree that other parts of the island are beautiful.......and very easy to visit from the South:D

We all want different things when we holiday and that is what makes Tenerife a Great holiday destination!!
Because it has something for everyone.

Would I feel the same if living there as a swallow or resident.........I don't know,time will tell.

I never really considered the North but after living in the South for over 8 years I feel the North would have been the better choice but prefer the climate of the South! Can't have it all can we!:D

Malteser Monkey
26-10-2012, 12:31
I never really considered the North but after living in the South for over 8 years I feel the North would have been the better choice but prefer the climate of the South! Can't have it all can we!:D

you lot just thank your lucky wotsits !:D

I will never forget my experience of living there :bowdown:

Suej
26-10-2012, 12:40
you lot just thank your lucky wotsits !:D

I will never forget my experience of living there :bowdown:

Hi Monkey!!!:wave: I don't ever consider going back to UK I have to say! and am settled here in the South but feel we should have given the location a bit more thought when we moved out here! :spin:

Malteser Monkey
26-10-2012, 12:46
Hi Monkey!!!:wave: I don't ever consider going back to UK I have to say! and am settled here in the South but feel we should have given the location a bit more thought when we moved out here! :spin:

you're alright up there in the hills hun !

Sundowner
26-10-2012, 13:18

I did consider the North before buying our apartment in the South and rejected it!!

But that was because the weather in the South is more reliable..........who wants to pop out for a short holiday and get rained on!

A few years down the line and we will make a decision on where we want to be.........my wife wants to buy a penthouse apartment in the "San Sofe" complex in Puerto Santiago (the frontline with cliff/sea views)

But watching a Place in the Winter sun she spotted a place in San Juan de la Rambla that she fell in love with!! So who knows!!

Women eh!!:D

chifleta
26-10-2012, 16:10
YG I can see now I was badly putting my point across. Work is a pain but on an island this size is commuting an hour an 20mins each way that hard? but the main point was, if you don't have to work ie: the retired and the rich why choose the south? In MY OPINION it really is ugly in comparison and tacky

It depends if you have transport or a good enough wage for it to be worth commuting, also if you have children, that's an influence - saying that, I do know of people that commute.

When we lived in Garachico, OH didn't have a car, and he worked split shifts in Puerto de la Cruz ... so basically he'd leave home at 7am and wouldn't get back till 11pm.... 6 days a week .... it wasn't a fun time.

My sis-in-law works near Gigantes, she lives in Genoves, but she has to drop her 3 kiddies in Garachico with her mum first who takes them to school and picks them up until sis finishes work....

and STOP SHOUTING WE AIN'T DEAF:neener: