PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a laptop that you can't with a notebook?

honda
25-10-2012, 18:56
At the risk of sounding stupid. What can you do on laptop that you can't do with a note book ? Seems only size why note book is cheaper.... What am I missing ?

From a none tech member !

tfs_longlets
25-10-2012, 19:58
Looks to me like it is only size of the screen that matters (as always).

http://askville.amazon.com/Notebook-Laptop/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=1234094

When travelling, especially budget airline, the netbook weighs a lot less. As yet, I have not taken the tablet, which weighs even less, but I can't get on with it as well.

As a multimedia centre, i.e. internet tv connected to TV by HDMI cable and internet radio and jukebox connected to music centre, they are the same so as the netbook is cheaper, a better option.

Harmonicaman
25-10-2012, 20:02
Laptops are big enough to have a DVD/CD ROM drive.

TenerifeTeddy
26-10-2012, 09:07
Netbooks don't contain a DVD drive bay, but that can be got around by purchasing a slimline USB DVDRW drive.

They seem great for convenience. However, IMO the main problem for me is one of usability. I have had no end of customers t that complain about not being able display web pages effectively and the cramped keyboard makes typing uncomfortable especially if it is used for long periods.

From a maintenance point of view they are a pain. for many models you have to remove the keyboard to upgrade memory for example. One particular model I had to remove a hard drive on one the other day, and I had to literally dismantle the entire netbook, as it was located on a bracket on the underside of the motherboard, so was literally the last component to be accessed. This is due to the constraint on space to fit components in.
That means removing the battery, a total of approx 20 screws, ram, wifi card, keyboard, palm rest, half a dozen various connectors, daughterboard, & motherboard, half an hours work, just to get to the hard drive. Some other netbooks are better designed, but on a laptop/notebook, both these components are easily accessible under small bays on the base of the machine.

Vortex Wake
26-10-2012, 09:51
I think people are getting little confused with 'Notebook' and 'Netbook' judging by title v comments ;)

A Notebook laptop is largely the same as an ordinary laptop - I will leave someone else to define a Laptop ;) ;) ;)

A Netbook laptop however, is Laptop that has minimal processing or memory power and really no more than a Web browser with a few basic extras.