PDA

View Full Version : Pensioner Brits can claim fuel allowance whilst in Tenerife

Canarian Weekly
26-10-2012, 10:30
THOUSANDS of Expat pensioners in Tenerife could be eligible for the UK Government’s annual £200 Winter Fuel Payment (WFP) – thanks to a European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling.

It spells good news for our old folk, plus the 100,000-plus Brits living in Spain.

Many of them were unable to claim the payment under the old laws.

Previously, Expats were able to receive the allowance only if they turned 60 before leaving Britain, and if they had left the country after the payment had been introduced in 1998.

Some Tenerife Expats will already be receiving the payment as they own a property in the UK and are of pensionable age.

Now, though, you need only have a “genuine and sufficient link to the UK” to qualify. That includes having “lived or worked in the UK for most of your working life” and paid into the Social Service system.

The ECJ ruling came in following a landmark victory for Lucy Stewart and her family, who moved to Spain and as a result became ineligible for certain benefits. Her family contested the legislation and now the eligibility criteria has changed.

The changes affect around 440,000 British OAPs, who live outside Britain but within the EU.

Those born on or before 5th July, 1951, can now go ahead and claim for the 2012 WFP, which ranges from £200 to £300 depending on your circumstances.

Last winter, 72,840 Expats claimed winter fuel payments, at a cost of almost £16 million to the British Government. And that figure could rise to £100m if all the eligible Expats claim this year’s allowance

Opinion is divided on whether or not those pensioners living in year-round sun merit this annual payment, which does NOT have to be put towards heating bills.

And some say the rich should not receive it anyway, wherever they live, because they can well afford their heating bills.

The main opposition to this handy pre-Christmas bonus comes from the Government’s Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith.

He called the ECJ ruling “ludicrous” and pledged to introduce a “temperature test” to determine eligibility when it was introduced in August.

“The winter fuel payment is about helping British pensioners with heating costs,” he said angrily. “It is ludicrous that we could have to pay more pensioners in hot countries.”

People claiming a WFP for the first time from the EEA/Switzerland will need to complete a claim form.

In the UK, newly-eligible pensioners who are not in receipt of a benefit administered by Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) also need to make a claim.

But, most UK people who qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment are paid automatically because their entitlement can be established from Department for Work and Pensions benefit records.

Few British Pensioners inTenerife will complain at the news. Edward Salisbury, 68, who took early retirement and moved to Las Chafiras nine years ago, lives in rented accommodation.

He said: “I worked all my life inEngland, so why shouldn’t I benefit? It actually gets quite chilly around here in the winter, and I’ve got a small electric fire to keep me warm in the evening.”

Mr Salisbury added: “I don’t see what difference it makes anyway. I get aUK pension and it’s paid into my bank there. But I withdraw enough to last each month – and I spend it over here.

“And this little surprise will certainly keep me in suntan lotion for a good while!”

Los Cristianos resident Brian Andrews told Canarian Weekly, “My friend told me about it. I’ve lived here for over 15 years and we’ve not got a house in theUK.

“I always thought I couldn’t get the payment, I’ve got my form in quickly – it’s 12 pages long though, so we’ll see what transpires.”

Another Playa de Las Americas resident said: “It doesn’t matter to me because I get it anyway.

“All my affairs are based in theUKand even though I rent here and spend the majority of my time here, I get it automatically.”

Information is available on the Government’s website

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-to-claim and includes claim forms. And claims for winter 2012/13 need to be received by 31st March next year

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/sunshine-bonus/)

Hey Jude
26-10-2012, 15:37
Do I understand that it depends if or if not you were living in UK 17-23 Sept 2012?

DOREEN QUINN
26-10-2012, 22:31
I think that's for uk residents.I filled in the form early September for my mum and have had her certificates back,so we will see!
it should also be noted that people who have lived abroad,well within the EEC states since the start of this benefit can apply for back years from 1998. There is a form available to download and complete,which is not dissimilar to the winter fuel allowance form.

garlicbread
27-10-2012, 10:25
Let me think, what shall I spend it on this year??:dontknow:

cainaries
27-10-2012, 11:22
If IDS thinks Spain is 'hot' he should spend a winter in Madrid. Even here in the Canaries it can get chilly at night if you live at altitude. I'm going to look into this. We weren't claiming it when we left the UK and so had not been entitled to claim it here but I shall look into the rule change, thanks for posting the original info. And I promise to put it towards our huge electricity bills!

marbro8
27-10-2012, 20:49
Let me think, what shall I spend it on this year??:dontknow:your air con?:D

Harmonicaman
27-10-2012, 22:20
I despair...:( The quicker we (UK) get out of this European Union the better.

lapalma
27-10-2012, 22:34
I despair...:( The quicker we (UK) get out of this European Union the better.

My Good Fife friend,this is whats going on at the moment in the UK and the EU.Myself and wife get £100 each if the temp falls below a certain level in Nov/Dec in the UK but now the EU guys have stated that this can be received in Tenerife as well as any other EU countries...............

marbro8
27-10-2012, 22:43
I despair...:( The quicker we (UK) get out of this European Union the better.what will happen if alex salmond gets his wish:confused:

lapalma
27-10-2012, 23:04
what will happen if alex salmond gets his wish:confused:

Alex Salmond at the moment is going thru a bad time,to my mind he is an asshole who should think more about what his right fist is doing (watch his right hand whilst he is talking to the media)

Harmonicaman
27-10-2012, 23:06

I don't think it'll come to that Mark, but he wants to stay in the EU. They (SNP), have also voted to stay in Nato (without nuclear weapons based in Scotland), which is a big change in SNP policy.

marbro8
27-10-2012, 23:20
I don't think it'll come to that Mark, but he wants to stay in the EU. They (SNP), have also voted to stay in Nato (without nuclear weapons based in Scotland), which is a big change in SNP policy.i can understand that he is fighting for the best deal for Scottish people, god knows i wish we had someone strong enough to fight for english rights, but i think that we stand a better chance if we stand together as a british nation

lapalma
27-10-2012, 23:24
I don't think it'll come to that Mark, but he wants to stay in the EU. They (SNP), have also voted to stay in Nato (without nuclear weapons based in Scotland), which is a big change in SNP policy.

Alec Salmond will not get any of his wishes,to replicate the nuclear weapons storage areas in Scotland could cost the Scottish or Westminster governemnts billions of UK pounds.Think wee Alex have do do his sums again......

macdonald5
28-10-2012, 15:09

We'll all go to down the Swanny (or should that be Clyde!) IMHO

junglejim
28-10-2012, 15:35

Firth of Forth since his immenseness is from Auld Reekie!

All of UK nuclear arsenal is stored in Firth of Clyde within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow!
It's nice to stay in Tenerife!l

anegib
29-10-2012, 12:26
If you were born before 1952 will you automatically get the winter fuel allowance included in State Pension payment?

Ecky Thump
29-10-2012, 12:29

Keep him on the East Coast (Down the Forth)!!:D

obs
29-10-2012, 14:42
If you were born before 1952 will you automatically get the winter fuel allowance included in State Pension payment?

No anegib, you have to download the form, fill it in and send it away. :tiphat:

anegib
29-10-2012, 17:32
Sorry obs but have just been on the government website and it says if you are receiving a State Pension then they will automatically pay the Winter Fuel Allowance into it. Hope this helps you as well.

junglejim
29-10-2012, 18:42

You qualify for heating allowance from age of 60 .

wendybaines
03-11-2012, 18:45
I have recently read an article in the Canarian Weekly about ex pats being able to claim the winter fuel allowance even if not resident in U.K. I got the forms printed off from P.C. and have filled them in , the only thing is on the first page it says in the top right hand corner " If you get in touch with us, please tell us this reference number " What reference number are they asking for as there isn't anything there. If anyone has filled this form in or knows what they mean, could you please let me know. Thanks

Fivepence
03-11-2012, 19:35
Not sure Wendy but I think the bit on the top right of the form will be completed by the office in Newcastle.
Perhaps when they reply to you it will be complete!

Sal
03-11-2012, 21:02
I have recently read an article in the Canarian Weekly about ex pats being able to claim the winter fuel allowance even if not resident in U.K. I got the forms printed off from P.C. and have filled them in , the only thing is on the first page it says in the top right hand corner " If you get in touch with us, please tell us this reference number " What reference number are they asking for as there isn't anything there. If anyone has filled this form in or knows what they mean, could you please let me know. Thanks

Is this true? I used to feel guilty for claiming this allowance when I was still working and on a pretty good salary, but if it's still possible to get it in the Canaries, then I think "go for it"! I know I will (if possible) once we move out there.......after all we have paid in to UK ****-eyed schemes, so maybe it's OK to get it back..............finally! :shiver:

ama de casa
03-11-2012, 21:29
Usually if you need to get in touch with The Pension Service then all they need is your NI number. I know of an ex pat who has been awarded this so get your form filled in - you have paid into it all your working life.

lapalma
04-11-2012, 00:39

If you are a UK national and you have paid your NI stamps you do not have to fill in any forms.I have been paid the winter fuel payment since I turned 60, 4 years ago.Myself and other half get £100 each every year irespective of where we stay.If we come over to Tenerife for the winter then we still get credited with the winter fuel payment.

obs
04-11-2012, 09:38

Hi Wendy,
You only get a reference number if they send you the claim form. As you have downloaded it from the internet there is no reference. Just submit the form with that box blank, and they will create a refence number at Newcastle. :tiphat:

lapalma
05-11-2012, 00:22
Hi Wendy,
You only get a reference number if they send you the claim form. As you have downloaded it from the internet there is no reference. Just submit the form with that box blank, and they will create a refence number at Newcastle. :tiphat:

If you reside in the UK you DO NOT HAVE TO FILL IN ANY CLAIM FORM........ps the UK government know where you are !!!

obs
05-11-2012, 10:40
If you reside in the UK you DO NOT HAVE TO FILL IN ANY CLAIM FORM........ps the UK government know where you are !!!

I agree lapalma, but if you are a pensioner residing here in Tenerife, you have to claim for the allowance. I also know that they know where I am, they write to me here! :flatcap:

KirstyJay
05-11-2012, 14:13
I have recently read an article in the Canarian Weekly about ex pats being able to claim the winter fuel allowance even if not resident in U.K. I got the forms printed off from P.C. and have filled them in , the only thing is on the first page it says in the top right hand corner " If you get in touch with us, please tell us this reference number " What reference number are they asking for as there isn't anything there. If anyone has filled this form in or knows what they mean, could you please let me know. ThanksI've merged your thread with an existing one on the subject. If you try the search facility first, it will show what threads already exist and then you can read through the existing info and add to it with your questions :)

leonard
05-11-2012, 22:03
Reminds me of the smug guy on the radio waxing about it being just enough to fill his Bently!