PDA

View Full Version : Are any forum members considering getting Windows 8?

Suej
26-10-2012, 12:37
Just wondered what our members think of Windows 8? is anyone considering going from 7 to 8? I believe that it can be installed on a tablet???

sdmc1960
26-10-2012, 13:04
Having bought a touch screen PC a few weeks ago, I will be buying W8 this evening, and playing with it over the weekend. (and the PC !)

Suej
26-10-2012, 13:06
Enjoy your fumble!:devil2: Let us know what you think about it! and the windows 8!!!

henry
26-10-2012, 13:46
soon i have to go from xp to windows 8 because they will stop support xp on new year day 2013. i love xp but nothing last forever

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

soon i have to go from xp to windows 8 because they will stop support xp on new year day 2013. i love xp but nothing last forever

KirstyJay
26-10-2012, 14:15
I'm still on XP too. I may try Linux instead. :)

Fivepence
26-10-2012, 14:48
I too was a fan of XP and my wife's laptop, which is about 6 years old now is running XP Pro.
I replaced my old PC a while ago and I am now using Windows 7.
I am very happy with it.

Megaloo
26-10-2012, 15:24
Yes at some stage I will have it, as my Son has ordered it for me, he tells me it is good, hopefully I will get on with it OK. I am a bit of a dum dum with computers..If it is as good as using and Ipad then I think I will like it.

junglejim
26-10-2012, 16:53
I assume you need a touchpad screen to get benefit from Windows 8 ?
I have recently bought an iPad 3 and it is good for some things but I still prefer my traditional lappie on Windows 7 .

cressrt
26-10-2012, 18:00
Linux everytime!! It's free and well supported because the majority of programmes are Open Source. There are equivalent Linux programmes fro most Window ones. We have been using Ubuntu for a few years now and would never consider going back to Windows, a bit like moving back to the UK - Why? Other advantage no need for Virus Guard or Firewalls!
You can intall alongside windows as a dual boot option so dod not need to wipe your Windows OS, have a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/.

Harmonicaman
26-10-2012, 18:11
I have it on my work laptop. Jumped from XP to Win8! We got a brand new laptop/tablet as well, a Panasonic toughbook CF-C1. The screen/lid swivels round and closes face up so you can use it as a tablet. It's a bit different from Win7,it's a sort of hybrid between Win7 and touchscreen. What I have most difficulty with is finding things. There isn't any "Start" button. You have a "Start" page when you click on the "Windows" button on the keyboard. It brings up your hardware and Apps etc. I've only had it a week and it takes a wee bit getting used to, but I'm sure I'll adapt!

warbey
26-10-2012, 18:14
No. Quite happy with 7 and XP. Why complicate life.?

Harmonicaman
26-10-2012, 18:15
No. Quite happy with 7 and XP. Why complicate life.?

Bet you said that with Win3.1.1:fpull:

KirstyJay
26-10-2012, 21:55
Linux everytime!! It's free and well supported because the majority of programmes are Open Source. There are equivalent Linux programmes fro most Window ones. We have been using Ubuntu for a few years now and would never consider going back to Windows, a bit like moving back to the UK - Why? Other advantage no need for Virus Guard or Firewalls!
You can intall alongside windows as a dual boot option so dod not need to wipe your Windows OS, have a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/.

I've been meaning to install it as a dual boot for a loooong time now... I've even got a partition ready for it, but just never get round to it!!! I need a good kick up the ****... and a spare hour! lol

warbey
26-10-2012, 21:57
Bet you said that with Win3.1.1:fpull:

First was XP. Not as old as You..............:D:D:devil2:

KirstyJay
26-10-2012, 22:43
First was XP. Not as old as You..............:D:D:devil2:First was BBC Basic :D

10 Print "Kirsty"
20 Goto 10

Harmonicaman
26-10-2012, 22:45
First was BBC Basic :D

OMG!...Beginners all-purpose symbolic instruction code. That takes me back!

KirstyJay
26-10-2012, 22:48
OMG!...Beginners all-purpose symbolic instruction code. That takes me back!

I wrote my first program in that when I was 9 years old. It was an adventure game about fairies and had a randomiser in it where players had to choose the cot that contained the fairy baby.... that part alone took two months to write in BBC Basic! It certainly takes me back! I remember the toil clearly! :D

Santiago
26-10-2012, 22:54

10 Print "Kirsty"
20 Goto 10

Acorn Electron for me (and I still have mine and my sister's as well!) although I also learnt on the BBC B. Now using XP on the desktop and Netbook, and Windows 7 on the laptop. Have the Upgrade disk to Windows 7 for the desktop but haven't used it yet. I probably won't go to Windows 8 but will wait for 9 or 10 to come out as I like Microsoft to iron out all the worst glitches before I change up.

timmylish
27-10-2012, 00:22
I was given the opportunity of trying Win 8 in Beta form and really tried to aclimatise but I was still left with the feeling that I was missing out by ONLY having a top of the range desktop and not a touchscreen. Cannot get that feeling to go so I,ll be sticking with Win 7 which had taken a while to get right after the disaster called Vista. As someone else, on here, said might wait for 9 or 10 by which time Microsoft will have dealt with all the problems in 8.

slodgedad
27-10-2012, 00:52

10 Print "Kirsty"
20 Goto 10

My first (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20)

Stayed up all night to draw a flag with the 'Goto . Print' etc. Forgot to save it on the cassette so I coulldn't even show it off.

Medanoman
27-10-2012, 03:03
i had a zx spectrum until i found a commodore pet with 5 and a quarter inch floppies that fell off the back of a lorry around about 1984.( it was out of date then).. One of my first jobs was maintaining DEC mainframes writing code in xxdp and RT11. and repairing 500 meg hard drives. These were the size of washing machines with platters like a collection of hummer wheel covers ..as for DOS yes it was me that left all the computers in dixons flashing messages up.

as for the question , i suppose i will adapt to 8, but the saddest thing is that the pc is about to disappear. Windows was a PC thing, we are getting to the stage now where a dongle can be plugged into the back of a tele that now contains more processing power than pc'c of only 5 years ago, and they have no hard drives to fail with everything stored in the cloud.

junglejim
27-10-2012, 03:17
I have a vague distant memory of preparing punch cards for processing when at Uni - also programmes on a ticker tape machine !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_programming_in_the_punched_card_era
Tried machine code but couldnŽt get my head round it!
Casio programmable then ZX81,Spectrum then Amiga ,now my son builds them for fun and IŽm almost lost !

Windows 8 - not a great review on Click programme !

Suej
27-10-2012, 10:50
Don't understand half of what has been written in most of these posts! you're all veterans!!!:wow: My first experience of computers was 6 years with XP! which I still think is better than Windows 7! All I know is that if anything goes wrong with my pc I go into a state of sheer panic it's like my right arm has been cut off!!!:crazy:

junglejim
27-10-2012, 11:02
Don't worry it's an age thing - try low tech - two tin cans and a piece of string , the first mobile phones !

Medanoman
27-10-2012, 11:33
Hehe mobile phones , I made my first mobile back in 83, Just when those cordless phones started going into homes. I was not content with the 30 yard range and set about improving it. I Built a 500 mW amplifier for 49 mhz and added 150 ft of wire to the base Ariel. Much better , almost 4 miles range. It was great fun ( and unheard of at the time) to ring people up while standing on their door step. Ah my mis spent youth..

Suej
27-10-2012, 11:34
Don't worry it's an age thing - try low tech - two tin cans and a piece of string , the first mobile phones !
Whatttt!!!! your right arm falls off when you get older?:wow:

warbey
27-10-2012, 18:53
As previously said, My first was XP. It was, and is a great Programme to start on.

I had too much to do in My Younger Days to indulge in a Computer, even though a good Friend used One Daily, so I was at least aware.

I felt then, that what You got was time consuming and a poor substitute for the "Real World"

At the same time, I was working on Computer inputs etc at Work, full time.

I ended up some Years later using aProgramme for restoring and doctoring Photographs, realising how much I DIDNT know.

So I got one. Long Live / R.I.P. to X.P.

TenerifeTeddy
11-11-2012, 21:19
We'll IŽll try and drag this back on topic. :)

I recently upgraded my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8, because I wanted to be au fait with it, for when the first customers come calling to me with problems with it.

Having always been a Windows user and MCSE, though I understand Microsofts desire to take a substantial slice of the tablet/smart phone market. I fail to understand the logic that says lets do away with the format which has worked well since Windows 3.1, and which although it has changed with each iteration has been intuitive to use through each update.

The "modern UI" may be great for a tablet but is useless for any serious user who wants to have several applications or pages open simultaneously. Also for me the decision to do away with the Start button on the desktop is just perverse.

OK I found my way around it without pulling out too much hair, but why change it so much. Accessing the "Charm Bar" or other menus without a touch screen is very fiddly. Even shutting down has been made more fiddly, unless you set the power button to shut down.

There are 3rd party applications you can download to bring back the Start Button and associated functionality if desired.
There is no reason why the Start button and functionality could not be restored with a Service Pack update, then users would have a choice to use the Modern UI or the traditional desktop.
That would remove most of the complaints and criticisms of Windows 8 on the technical forms.

IMO It may be great with a tablet or smart phone, but I wouldn't advise anyone with a PC or laptop particularly without a touch screen to upgrade to Windows 8.

To answer a point henry made about support being withdrawn on Windows XP in January. That does not mean that you will not be able to use Windows XP after that date. Microsoft will simply stop providing updates. I still have one customer using Windows 98.

Lily3
12-11-2012, 14:14
I purchased a touch screen all in one pc last year.

I have upgraded to windows 8 worst thing I have ever done.

Can't get to use the computer my 8 yr old grandson won't get off it or go home

minimadmandy
14-11-2012, 00:28
In our house we have pcs running XP, Vista (awful) and now windows 8. I use Windows 7 at work and have an iMac and ipad at home. My children can switch between all of them without even noticing. Basically the Os systems might be all different but when it comes down to it it's the software on them that makes the difference between enjoying them or just seeing them as a tool to getting something done. I've just done a family survey and these were the votes polled: Vista -0, XP - 1, iMac/ipad 3, windows 7 - 0 and windows 8 - 0. So that wasn't worth spending the money to upgrade then!!

Skeggy
14-11-2012, 09:06
I stupidly dowloaded Windows 8 on to my 10" netbook, unfortunately not reading everything beforehand and have found that the screen resolution is not large enough to support the Apps. There were details of a hack on the liliputing website which woud allow you to alter the resolution I asked a technican from Microsoft to attempt it for me by remote acess, he failed. This rather sees the end of small netbooks unless Microsoft amends the situation which is most unlikely.

warbey
14-11-2012, 21:52
Windows 8 can burn DVD'd but can't play back Movie Discs, says a Computer Magazine.

Yet anothe reason to decline Methinks.

Fivepence
14-11-2012, 21:56
Slightly off topic, sorry but installed and tried IE10 for Windows 7 today.
It works great but I believe it has been developed for Windows 8.