PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat K 9 Dog Rescue Tenerife

blueeyes
27-10-2012, 13:57
Regarding K9 Dog Rescue centre in Tenerife......
I was concerned after seeing a small blond coloured female dog completely confused running about the San Isidro roundabout..... there were lots of cars on the roundabout yeaterday slowing down because of this poor animal... I was worried about getting out of the car incase i spooked her into an on coming vehicle.. she was obviuosly in a state of distress... my husband who was with me at the time asked if he should stop but ... we quickly drove home to our apartment just a few minutes up the road in San Isidro... immediately got on the phone and spoke to an english lady.. i was obviously upset and shaking and asked the lady if she could send someone to pick up this poor animal... i explained the poor dog looked as if she had not long had pups... and described its appearance... the lady then said they didn ot have anyone to send out.. and that i should phone another number to get this other person to phone the police on our behalf...... all i could think in my head was to save time why dont you phone the police direct ... i have only been on the island for 3 weeks and dont speak spanish.. she gave me the number which i phoned i then spoke to a german lady who spoke english and again she didnt seem to want to be bothered and said i should phone the police..i advised her that i had been given the number from K9 .. she did not really want to call as hr concern was the dog would be gone by the time the police got there.... but surely that was the polices call to make and not hers... i was left with the impression diod she call the police or not............. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RESPONSE TO THE THE WHOLE SITUATION THAT I HAD EXPECTED... AND FELT THE LITTLE DOG HAD BEEN LET DOWN..... SORRY K9 I THOUGHT YOU WHERE THERE TO HELP DOGS..................

SuzyQ
27-10-2012, 15:00
Its true that the correct thing to do is call 112, the police should then inform Proteccion Civil, who should then pick up the poor doggie and take her to the local refuge (not K9), for which they get paid. However, the amount of "shoulds" mean it doesnt always work like that, depends on what time of day it is, and whether a week day or weekend. Very, very, sad but true. K9 are usually full, and in any case dont have the resources to pick up strays. None of this helps the dog of course, and I do understand your frustrations, although your anger should really be directed at the authorities and their abysmal attitude to the stray dog situation, rather than a struggling refuge doing what they can under very difficult circumstances and with vcery limited resources. :)

Suej
27-10-2012, 15:18
I agree 100% with what Suzy has just posted! The authorities do nothing to control the stray dog situation on the Island! sad but true! Just for future reference blueeys never take a dog off the street and take it home you will then become responsible and the dog will not be regarded as a stray! I say this now as you might be tempted another time to give an animal temporary refuge while you contact the authorities! As you are most likely going to see more dogs wandering the streets in need of help!:(

Catty
27-10-2012, 15:22
With regards to the call mentioned above. K9 is a small organization that has limited resources and personnel. We have kennels with around 75 dogs and 20 cats. We do our best to care for these animals. We don't have enough people to attend call outs and the best option for this dog was to call the police and if possible wait near the animal while making the call. I am sorry you were not satisfied with the response you got from K9, but once you have been here awhile you will realize that all the organizations do the best they can. We all do this work without any help from the authorities. It should be the responsibility of the government to deal with these animals. K9 does it bests, that is all we can do.

canarygetaway
27-10-2012, 16:29
Bring back Eugenio thats all I can say, he was always on call for the dogs day or night.x

blueeyes
27-10-2012, 18:07
many thanks for your thoughts and i understand what everyone has said and take these points on board... i understand that K9 does its best ... and has no proper funding like rspca at home in the Uk. But it is very very frustrating when you are an animal lover and you see a helpless animal and no-one seems to want to help... if it had been a child everyone would have responded differently ........

SuzyQ
27-10-2012, 18:11
Bring back Eugenio thats all I can say, he was always on call for the dogs day or night.x

Thats very nice of you canarygetaway, but look at the trouble that got us in...........

blueeyes, I do understand where youre coming from, and its very commendable that you cared enough about the poor dog. The situation is beyond frustrating Im afraid. :(

warbey
27-10-2012, 19:50
Another sad Story, and perhaps an Illustration of how Both Refuges have become victims of Their own success.

Both Voluntary, with People giving time and Money to help the Less fortunates of the Dog World.

A high Profile and People innocently contacting Them, rather than Official Channels. ( Presumably the same Channels that has a Pack of Wild Dogs running around ,
not too far from Cristianos.)

slodgedad
28-10-2012, 01:40
As soon as people recognize that these entities have nothing in common with the RSPCA etc. the better.

These groups are run by unpaid volunteers with whatever they can raise through charity.

Although they help when they can rescuing animals they are not the first point of call.

I get so annoyed, and feel for the people that give their time willingly, when people complain that nothing was done when reported.

Are the volunteers supposed to dip their hands in their own pockets?

(My personal opininion and does not reflect my status on the Forum)

blueeyes
29-10-2012, 13:12
it is very much like the rspca as it too depend on charitable donations.... only k9 is much smaller.... we are not asking the volunteers too dip into their own pockets.

starling
29-10-2012, 21:02
it is very much like the rspca as it too depend on charitable donations.... only k9 is much smaller.... we are not asking the volunteers too dip into their own pockets.

Hello blueeyes. I know it's no consolation, but I too am affected deeply by the dog situation in Tenerife. I see something happen like you did and it stays with me for ages, it affects my sleep and my working days.

I was one of the group that tried to capture the Port Royale dogs last year, which didn't have as much success as we would have hoped. My problem is, I will be going back down there soon as I have an apartment in Port Royale, and I can't help but feed them. I get into all's sorts of bother by my actions, and as much as I sympathise with the humans who have been affected, my heart still goes out to these poor dogs who are there through no fault of their own.

I fear the worst for them and worry about how it will all end. My hubby tries to help me, by telling me the dogs could be in far worse places, which I know he's right. And friends say - stop worrying, you can't save the world. But none of this support makes me feel any better.

warbey
29-10-2012, 21:48

What We were trying to say, is that there are official Channels in Tenerife, supposedly to look after Strays.

You perhaps exist because of their failure to operate properly, amongst other reasons.

The R S P C A has a legal standing in the U.K. and take responsibility for Strays and Welfare.

No-one is denigrating all the work done in Tenerife by the Many Volunteers, but just trying to point out

there should be official Channels that operate properly, so K9 doesnt end up doing Their Work for them.