PDA

View Full Version : Employment What is the minimum wage in Tenerife?

bobadair
27-10-2012, 15:23
Can anyone please give me information on the minimum wage and working hours for a retail shop assistant and a retail shop manager in Tenerife ?.

woolli
27-10-2012, 18:00
641€ per month - supposedly! Alot pay less, so dont be shocked when you get offered less!

marbro8
27-10-2012, 20:42
641€ per month - supposedly! Alot pay less, so dont be shocked when you get offered less!omg:wow: i get that a week here in the uk and i still moan, i suppose i should be more grateful really:(

lapalma
27-10-2012, 22:27
omg:wow: i get that a week here in the uk and i still moan, i suppose i should be more grateful really:(

I get £400 a month with a Blue badge thrown in here in the UK,but I could try to get employment support allowance that would give me another £400 a month.But if I wanted a top of the range car with free Insurance,free servicing,free road tax,free tyres and a new car every 3 years it would only cost me £200 of my support allowance.So I would get £600 a month with a free car,sounds quite good.What would I get in Tenerife ???

marbro8
27-10-2012, 22:50
I get £400 a month with a Blue badge thrown in here in the UK,but I could try to get employment support allowance that would give me another £400 a month.But if I wanted a top of the range car with free Insurance,free servicing,free road tax,free tyres and a new car every 3 years it would only cost me £200 of my support allowance.So I would get £600 a month with a free car,sounds quite good.What would I get in Tenerife ???i don't think the spanish government would be as kind:wink2:

lapalma
27-10-2012, 22:58
i don't think the spanish government would be as kind:wink2:

Thanks,but I did want to bring some reality to the post as I like many other persons would like to stay in Tenerife and enjoy the wram temps.

Greg
27-10-2012, 23:06
Unfortunately the sun is really the only asset on our little rock, a great place to live but very hard to make good money here. Unemployment and minimum wage are the worst in Europe. But at least we're suntanned while we're poor:cheeky:

honda
28-10-2012, 12:09
If you are concerned about money, Tenerife is NOT the place to be.

fonica
28-10-2012, 12:50
It isn't just the poor wages ,on occasions the employers here border on cruel.I was in a well known British run cafe the other day when one of the waitresses took a phone call telling her that she had a hospital appointment the next day for urgent tests.The owne rof the cafe promptly told her that she couldn't leave work for a hospital appointment! Given that she works 8+ hours a day six days a week and only has Sunday off,it may be difficult to EVER get an appointment and the hospital had made a special effort to get her in on a Saturday morning. The law says that she must be allowed to go but the employer (who, in the end allowed her to go and she was only away for 30 minutes) could terminate her contract or refuse to pay her for the time taken out of work,this same employer has done this on many occasions with other staff who have needed hospital treatment or appointments. I know how hard it is to run a business here and staff can sometimes take advantage of a kind employer but it does illustrate how difficult it can be to work on the island where there is so much competition for jobs.

garlicbread
28-10-2012, 13:04
641€ per month - supposedly! Alot pay less, so dont be shocked when you get offered less!

and how many hours per month does someone have to work for this measly amount of money?

ribuck
28-10-2012, 16:41
i don't think the spanish government would be as kind:wink2:
I don't think "kindness" comes into it. It's not as if those in the government sacrifice their own money to pay; they just take the money by force from taxpayers.

Otherwise, the government could just be "super-kind" and give everyone a thousand or more euros each week.

Medanoman
28-10-2012, 20:16
40....and that is the 624 that corresponds with the min salary interprofesional...and that is good, my Canarian wife is on a part time contract for 30 hours ( although its practically full time, there is a legal limit to the amount of overtime done but its ignored like everything else here) for less than the legally contracted rate. Why? cause its all there is. its that or stave.

Anyone got a job , I really need one?

tracy hampshire
28-10-2012, 20:37
and how many hours per month does someone have to work for this measly amount of money? i worked between 50 & 60 hours a week for this outstanding wage , but at least i got a contract, & a foot on the ladder in the social system, wages are bad over here especially in bar work, i don´t know about shop work .

woolli
29-10-2012, 00:22
and how many hours per month does someone have to work for this measly amount of money?

Why you asking me garlic? I am just stating facts. You have been here long enough to know this. And, perhaps, get off your high horse, as people need to work. You maybe a more fortunate position, others arent. It maybe measly to you, but not to countless others on the island.

garlicbread
29-10-2012, 12:09
Why you asking me garlic? I am just stating facts. You have been here long enough to know this. And, perhaps, get off your high horse, as people need to work. You maybe a more fortunate position, others arent. It maybe measly to you, but not to countless others on the island.

I was merely asking a question, not trying to get on or off any horse. If, as someone else has suggested, they are working 50-60 hours a week for a monthly salary of €640 , that works out at only just above €3 an hour surely below the minimum wage. Yes I am in a better position in that I don't need to work, but I planned for that, I wasn't just fortunate.

The Spanish economy, and in particularly in the Canary Islands, is on its ar$e and likely to remain so for years to come and sunshine will never be a substitute for cash.

GaryA
05-11-2012, 17:15
So is it 641 euro regardless of hours?

kathml
05-11-2012, 19:22
Basiclywork the hours the boss wants or get out its take it or leave it

GaryA
05-11-2012, 19:42
Didn't realise it was so hard in this part of the world.

slodgedad
05-11-2012, 22:45
I'm one of the lucky ones...:laugh:

4 quid an hour but am allowed to work lots..

LUCKY
05-11-2012, 23:29
:feret:
I'm one of the lucky ones...:laugh:

4 quid an hour but am allowed to work lots.. AH so you are the one with perks:flatcap::feret:

GaryA
06-11-2012, 11:37
Think I'll become self unemployed(with a contract)!!!!!

kaka
11-12-2012, 15:08
its reli low income!! im now working in australia, i got more than 640euro weekly but nt monthly. even in hk,england....i had more salaries....but i still want to get a job in tenerife and live there. can anyone help?i would b grateful if u could help me a bit...

and actually im from hk, is it hard to get a job there for me? no matter how, i need a try =)

m.holland
31-08-2016, 17:59
Great reply.
I could also be brown and poor! That is my plan.

Tonysoprano
31-08-2017, 13:27
There appears to be no clarity on the Min wage

can someone please let me know how much the min hourly rate is in tenerife?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It isn't just the poor wages ,on occasions the employers here border on cruel.I was in a well known British run cafe the other day when one of the waitresses took a phone call telling her that she had a hospital appointment the next day for urgent tests.The owne rof the cafe promptly told her that she couldn't leave work for a hospital appointment! Given that she works 8+ hours a day six days a week and only has Sunday off,it may be difficult to EVER get an appointment and the hospital had made a special effort to get her in on a Saturday morning. The law says that she must be allowed to go but the employer (who, in the end allowed her to go and she was only away for 30 minutes) could terminate her contract or refuse to pay her for the time taken out of work,this same employer has done this on many occasions with other staff who have needed hospital treatment or appointments. I know how hard it is to run a business here and staff can sometimes take advantage of a kind employer but it does illustrate how difficult it can be to work on the island where there is so much competition for jobs.

I don't understand some people. That's a horrible way to treat staff.

woolli
31-08-2017, 15:32
The minimum wage is 707.60 euros, based on 14 monthly payments, or 825.65 euros for 12 monthly payments.

Tony the Welder
31-08-2017, 17:35
The minimum wage is 707.60 euros, based on 14 monthly payments, or 825.65 euros for 12 monthly payments.

If you have a legal job! If you do it depends on what you are employed to do. Each area has its own convenio with a minimum wage.

Liftman
31-08-2017, 18:30
So probably no chance of my £16 an hour being matched by an employer in Tenerife then!

Tonysoprano
01-09-2017, 08:33

So is there a min set of hours associated with this?

Tony the Welder
01-09-2017, 10:21
So probably no chance of my £16 an hour being matched by an employer in Tenerife then!

ha, ha, ha! Or as the Spanish say jajaja!

So is there a min set of hours associated with this?

Legal job, each job has its own convenio, wife used to be a 37 hour week but in july, august and september reduced to 36 hours. Illegal job six days a week min of 8 hours a day. Know some people only earn 5 euros a hour - disgusting.

Tonysoprano
01-09-2017, 11:02
ha, ha, ha! Or as the Spanish say jajaja!

Legal job, each job has its own convenio, wife used to be a 37 hour week but in july, august and september reduced to 36 hours. Illegal job six days a week min of 8 hours a day. Know some people only earn 5 euros a hour - disgusting.

That is terrible...so for example do bar staff have to get this min hours of 37 per week?

Tony the Welder
01-09-2017, 11:20
6 days a week, 8 hours a day. 48 hours totally illegal. But if you want to put food on the table..... with no health care.....