PDA

View Full Version : Can Santander UK customers use Tenerife services?

rob897
30-10-2012, 18:23
Hi might of already been asked already but search didnt bring anything up, But.

Can can you use Santander cash machines with a Santander UK Visa debit card and not be charged or use there branches to withdrawl money in euros?

Santander not very clear on this wether they charge or not.

Someone please correct me, as the plan is to transfer money to the santander uk account and take to tenerife with me and use it at cash machines and to pay for things with the card.

Thanks ;)

Ecky Thump
30-10-2012, 18:30
Hi might of already been asked already but search didnt bring anything up, But.

Can can you use Santander cash machines with a Santander UK Visa debit card and not be charged or use there branches to withdrawl money in euros?

Santander not very clear on this wether they charge or not.

Someone please correct me, as the plan is to transfer money to the santander uk account and take to tenerife with me and use it at cash machines and to pay for things with the card.

Thanks ;)

Hi, I'm not sure about Santander charges while you are in Tenerife, but what you could do is open a Caxtonfx Euro Debit A/c and there will be no charges made on cash withdrawal or purchases, it only takes a few minutes to open on line, also they give you a very favorable rate of exchange. :)

karinagal
30-10-2012, 21:51
I have a Santander UK account and was told the only link between it and the Tenerife branches is that they share the same name.. As far as I'm aware, you would be charged to withdraw money. That's why I have a Caxton FX currency card and use it for withdrawing cash. I have a Santander Zero card that I use for buying things and paying for meals out - its a credit card but there are no foreign currency conversion charges so as long as you make sure that transactions are put through in Euros rather than Sterling, it's cheaper to use than other credit cards..

rob897
30-10-2012, 23:37
I have a Santander UK account and was told the only link between it and the Tenerife branches is that they share the same name.. As far as I'm aware, ..

Well, That's disappointing as i thought they were under the same Group and you would still be a customer regardless and have the advantages, although they have mentioned on there uk site that you could possibly use there own atms in spain but not clear on charges if any. and that it was One of the main reasons i chose Santander for a 2nd account. I will look into the caxton card.

Thanks

dede
31-10-2012, 10:33
No there are no charges for santander customers, i use it all the time and have never been charged.

Ecky Thump
31-10-2012, 10:44
No there are no charges for santander customers, i use it all the time and have never been charged.

I have just copied this from Santaders UK web site.............

Scenario
Fees or charges

Making a purchase

Making a purchase abroad or online in a currency other than sterling to buy goods or services
You will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% of the value plus a non-sterling purchase fee of £1.25 for each transaction

Withdrawing money (foreign currency) and purchasing traveller's cheques

Withdrawing cash abroad (either in a bank or at a cash machine), or purchasing traveller's cheques or foreign currency when abroad (at another bank, bureau de change or other outlet displaying the Visa sign) in a currency other than sterling
You will be charged a non-sterling transaction fee of 2.75% of the value plus a non-sterling cash fee of 1.5% of the value (at least £1.99)

Top Tip

If you're given the option of paying in either local currency or sterling, it's usually best to choose local, unless you are certain that the exchange rate is favourable. If you choose sterling, it means that the retailer or bank will handle the conversion and may also charge a higher conversion fee or a foreign usage fee (or both). Some cash machine providers may also apply an additional withdrawal fee for using their cash machine.

:)

dede
31-10-2012, 10:47
Well thats a strange one as i have never been charged and used it for years...ooopps best not make enquiries i may owe them a fortune....

honda
31-10-2012, 12:42
I was told when I first moved to Tenerife that Santander UK has no links with Santander ES. Both are run as totally seperate companies.

rob897
31-10-2012, 16:06

Is that for atm withdrawals (assuming Santander machines only) and for card payments ?

dede
31-10-2012, 16:15
Yes it is rob

rob897
31-10-2012, 16:17
I was told when I first moved to Tenerife that Santander UK has no links with Santander ES. Both are run as totally seperate companies.

Not what wikipedida says, They there wholly owned by the Santander Group/Groupo .

Ecky Thump
31-10-2012, 16:34
Is that for atm withdrawals (assuming Santander machines only) and for card payments ?

When you use your debit card abroad or online in a currency other than sterling, we convert the amount to sterling using the exchange rate set by Visa on the date the money is taken from your account. We include a currency conversion fee of 2.75%, and charge an additional £1.25 for purchases

Rob, I would contact your own Santader Branch, as on their website they refer to different Santander accounts with various conditions on each of them......above is another piece copied from their site, it looks like from this, that they charge a conversion fee from pounds to euro's of 2.75% on each transaction when you are withdrawing from a stirling account.:wow:

sunshinezz
31-10-2012, 16:39
Just to let you know that i have an english santander account and have always been charged a fee for using the cash machines and I also made the mistake last year of giving my Grandson the card to take to the uk with him on holiday and then went to put extra money in at the santander bank here and I couldn,t because the account numbers in spain are entirely different to the english they wouldn,t transfer the cash. Hope this helps.

rob897
31-10-2012, 17:16
When you use your debit card abroad or online in a currency other than sterling, we convert the amount to sterling using the exchange rate set by Visa on the date the money is taken from your account. We include a currency conversion fee of 2.75%, and charge an additional £1.25 for purchases

Rob, I would contact your own Santader Branch, as on their website they refer to different Santander accounts with various conditions on each of them......above is another piece copied from their site, it looks like from this, that they charge a conversion fee from pounds to euro's of 2.75% on each transaction when you are withdrawing from a stirling account.:wow:

you can see my confusion!, Probably best to call them or i'll go to my branch later in the week. and see what they say...

Ecky Thump
31-10-2012, 18:34
you can see my confusion!, Probably best to call them or i'll go to my branch later in the week. and see what they say...

Or even easier, go online and open a CaxtonFx Account, no hassles about references etc. You simply transfer money from your Santander bank account at today's exchange rate, and then you know exactly how many euros you have to spend while on holiday, no charges at all at any bank ATM that has the Visa sign and there are hundreds of them in Tenerife.:) Go On...You know it makes sense!!:D

WeeBoabfaeGovan
01-11-2012, 18:38
Hi Ecky Regarding the santander bank my branch in Glasgow charges me for withdrawels when im on holiday in Tenerife. Boab

Balcony
01-11-2012, 18:45
Legally speaking they are separate banks. Santander in the UK is a UK bank and Santander in Tenerife is a Spanish bank. They may be part of the same group, but that's immaterial and each operates within the banking requirements of the country they are in.

Another example in Barclays Bank. In Tenerife there are branches of Barclays, but they operate as Spanish banks, not branches of Barclays UK.

Jock
28-04-2013, 19:19
The Santander page
https://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.Abbeycom&canal=CABBEYCOM&cid=1210607028826&empr=Abbeycom&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom%2FPage%2FWC_ACOM_TemplateY2
gives this info which tells me I can use my Santander current account card at Santander ATMs in Spain without charge.
"All main adult bank current accounts (those which are credited with at least £500 per month) can benefit from free cash machine withdrawals in Spain at a Santander branded cash machine".
I've emailed them for confirmation that Spain includes Tenerife (as Tenerife seems to be semi-detached from Spain).

kez1000
28-04-2013, 19:58
Santander have 'never, recognised the Spanish Santander unless you are prepared to get a mortgage in Spain with the UK. Beware, they are targeting new customers and dropping long time customers claiming this is their marketing strategy and they can charge New customers more. To my shock they put this in writing to me so after 22 yrs am moving banks from them, they really do not care for existing customers with decent deals.

They even came to my business and tried to move my free business banking to a paid for account as they don't offer free banking for business on new products. they won't be there for you if you really need them, I am converting my accounts right now after researching the best possible alternatives.

Real shame, up until about 2 years ago they were great, but a change is afoot!

Jock
30-04-2013, 11:59
I'm a Santander UK customer so can't speak for your experience Kez1000. The following is the reply I got yesterday from Santander UK -
"Thank you for your email.

I wish to confirm if you make withdrawals from a Santander cash machine in Tenerife these will be free if you currently hold an adult current account and credit a minimum of £500 per statement period. This means there will be no cash handling or foreign exchange fee."

Couldn't be clearer. Sadly I can't find on the internet any Santander branches in Las Americas or Del Ingles so the info. probably is no use to me.

karinagal
30-04-2013, 21:34
I'm a Santander UK customer so can't speak for your experience Kez1000. The following is the reply I got yesterday from Santander UK -

I wish to confirm if you make withdrawals from a Santander cash machine in Tenerife these will be free if you currently hold an adult current account and credit a minimum of £500 per statement period. This means there will be no cash handling or foreign exchange fee."

Couldn't be clearer. Sadly I can't find on the internet any Santander branches in Las Americas or Del Ingles so the info. probably is no use to me.

Thanks for posting this! I had asked the question of my local branch some time ago and they didn't have a clue. I took money out using my Santander card last month and just checked my statement and as you have said, no commission charge or handling fee!! :D

jase.2
30-04-2013, 22:46

There are branches in LC and PDLA, one in LC is right beside the church square opposite Hotel Reveron Plaza, I didnt notice the machine as being "branded" as Santander as all machines in Tenerife seem to say the same, similar to "link" in the uk , but suppose they perhaps just mean one in a Santander branch

Red Devil
01-05-2013, 09:25
There are branches in LC and PDLA, one in LC is right beside the church square opposite Hotel Reveron Plaza, I didnt notice the machine as being "branded" as Santander as all machines in Tenerife seem to say the same, similar to "link" in the uk , but suppose they perhaps just mean one in a Santander branch

There are Santander branches at San Eugenio and opposite the Patch in PDLA, also one in the Passarella shopping centre near El Mirador in Los Cris.
As long as you have a debit card with Santander in Uk and fulfil their conditions regarding the account you can draw cash out completely free from any Santander ATM in Canaries, providing you only use the atm - if you go inside the bank to use the counter service you will be charged. Hope that clarifies the position.

kez1000
07-05-2013, 22:24
Yes, you can do basic things like withdrawals without the international use fee, but they even manage to mess this up on a regular basis.

Check the FSA (now FCA) in the uk for most complained about companies, we could putti down to their size but I think they are good if you are new to them and basic banking services, provided you are using extra service and facilities where they can make credit and banking charges. This is really where I was coming from Jock.

I think day to day, they are probably Ok if you put money in and draw out and use a credit card etc. If you have a business, international use fees always apply, no way to avoid for example.

As you can see, moving banks wasn't exactly a knee-jerk decision for us guys.

Good luck & regards

Kieron

slodgedad
07-05-2013, 22:31
We opened an account here, a few years ago, with Santander purely for the free international free transfers promised.

At the time they were dealing with Lloyds and Bank of Scotland.

Disaster, expensive, crap info, closed account.

I wouldn't deal with Santander if they offered me 10% a month.

kiwiphil
08-05-2013, 01:51
I use Currency fair to transfer GBP to Euros. Best rates possible and you choose the rate you are happy transferring at. It really can't be beaten. Though if it can be beaten please let me know and I will change.

Red Devil
08-05-2013, 11:31
I withdrew 250 euro last week at Santander atm and my bank account shows they converted it at £211.87 which I think was roughly 1.18 which is better than locally. Def no charges either.
I am talking here about withdrawing everyday amounts, obviously for large amounts it is best using a currency company, but for me for everyday living it is brilliant, no more bringing sterling and keeping it in a safe and certainly no more rip off rates in UK
Santander a lot better now than they used to be customer service wise at least.

rob897
27-05-2013, 14:43
Or even easier, go online and open a CaxtonFx Account, no hassles about references etc. You simply transfer money from your Santander bank account at today's exchange rate, and then you know exactly how many euros you have to spend while on holiday, no charges at all at any bank ATM that has the Visa sign and there are hundreds of them in Tenerife.:) Go On...You know it makes sense!!:D

ok signed up for a caxton fx card just to be safe :P, however they do say that some ATM providers may charge you to use their ATM (not caxton fx), What providers do charge and any particular ATMS i should avoid in the PDLA area, around las vistas beach,up to veronicas strip

Thanks Again! :)

Rob

karinagal
27-05-2013, 15:24
Rob, the only time you might get charged is if you tried to use your euro card in a non euro country.. I use my Caxton card in Tenerife all the time and I've never been charged.

rob897
27-05-2013, 19:10
Rob, the only time you might get charged is if you tried to use your euro card in a non euro country.. I use my Caxton card in Tenerife all the time and I've never been charged.

is that at every ATM or do you go to a specific provider? banca mach is probably the closest to me then the santander further up

karinagal
27-05-2013, 19:12
is that at every ATM or do you go to a specific provider? banca mach is probably the closest to me then the santander further up

You can use the Caxton card at any ATM - and you can use it to pay for meals or anywhere that you can use a debit/credit card.

Tshirt
27-05-2013, 19:47
I've used my Caxton card in Malta, Portugal and of course Tenerife. Never been charged a cent. I also like the fact that you can check your balance at anytime online. You can also load the card by SMS if no access to the internet. Apply for a secondary card for your partner/spouse (if you have one) so that you have back up if one card gets lost/stolen like mine did. Both cards have access to the same account. Some ATMs I've used in Tenerife, the older ones, suggest that you might be charged but that's never been the case.

rob897
27-05-2013, 21:20
I've used my Caxton card in Malta, Portugal and of course Tenerife. Never been charged a cent. I also like the fact that you can check your balance at anytime online. You can also load the card by SMS if no access to the internet. Apply for a secondary card for your partner/spouse (if you have one) so that you have back up if one card gets lost/stolen like mine did. Both cards have access to the same account. Some ATMs I've used in Tenerife, the older ones, suggest that you might be charged but that's never been the case.

ok thanks everyone for their help!

Ecky Thump
30-05-2013, 11:13

As Karinagal has said, you can go to any banks's ATM and withdraw your euros without any charges.....most of them also give you a choice of language. Some will print out a receipt or show your balance on screen, but keep your eyes open for anyone looking over your shoulder!!rolleyes2:

Malteser Monkey
30-05-2013, 11:30
As Karinagal has said, you can go to any banks's ATM and withdraw your euros without any charges.....most of them also give you a choice of language. Some will print out a receipt or show your balance on screen, but keep your eyes open for anyone looking over your shoulder!!rolleyes2:

Carol ?:whistle::laugh:

Morning Ecky sweetheart !

Ecky Thump
30-05-2013, 11:34
Carol ?:whistle::laugh:

Morning Ecky sweetheart !

They talk about pickpockets in Tenerife, with Carol about the money never reaches my pockets!!!:twak:

Malteser Monkey
30-05-2013, 11:36
They talk about pickpockets in Tenerife, with Carol about the money never reaches my pockets!!!:twak:

brilliant !:wink2:

karinagal
30-05-2013, 11:51
Just a small note of caution - some ATMs will give you the option to be charged to your account in euro or sterling ... Always take the euro option for the Caxton cards.. Probably best for the Santander cards too as your own bank will usually give you a better rate..

rob897
05-06-2013, 00:23
Hi now ive got my card, i've just noticed something i don't think anyone has mentioned, at the link below is the number of times you can use the card for transactions and withdrawals, To card owners are these limits true and need they apply to Tenerife?

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/currency-cards-for-you/#fees-charges

Thanks,

Taylor
05-06-2013, 03:20
I have always been charged having a UK Santander account, much better to get a prepaid Credit card you don't incur charges. What really gets my goat is using my BBVA card and getting charged 3 Euros for transactions with local banks!!!!grrr

karinagal
05-06-2013, 06:34
Hi now ive got my card, i've just noticed something i don't think anyone has mentioned, at the link below is the number of times you can use the card for transactions and withdrawals, To card owners are these limits true and need they apply to Tenerife?

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/currency-cards-for-you/#fees-charges

Thanks,

I've never seen this page before and was not aware of these limitations.. Having said that, I've been using my card for over 2 years and countless trips and never had a situation where I would have exceeded these limits..

rob897
05-06-2013, 16:10
Having said that, I've been using my card for over 2 years and countless trips and never had a situation where I would have exceeded these limits..
though would of used the card more than what these limits say and it would still work for you?

karinagal
05-06-2013, 21:21
though would of used the card more than what these limits say and it would still work for you?

No idea Rob..

Tshirt
08-06-2013, 15:57
I've never seen this page before and was not aware of these limitations.. Having said that, I've been using my card for over 2 years and countless trips and never had a situation where I would have exceeded these limits..

Me neither :agree:

Chivas Regal
09-07-2013, 08:17
I'm really confused by all this!

I opened up a Santander account at the end of May and I think as long as I pay in at least £500 a month I will get free cash withdrawals at any Spanish Santander atm machine! I'm 99% sure this includes Tenerife, Majorca etc!
Thing is, there doesn't seem to be any definite facts on the Santander site itself! So I go into my local branch in the uk and ask someone if it includes Tenerife? She then asked me if Tenerife was part of Spain! I said yes it's an Island like Majorca and her response was that she THINKS I will be ok!
That's that then, well worth my visit! If I get charged I'll just say 'but the girl in Walsall branch thought it'd be ok'

I suppose I should have asked her to check 100% but there was a queue forming behind me with other confused looking people, probably waiting to ask her if she thinks Madrid is part of Spain!

This caxton card does seem good as it looks like you get the visa rate! This is also the rate with the Santander card and they are usually at least 2 cents above the tourist rates!

I guess my only option now is to try and get confirmation emailed to me by Santander then at least I have some back up if they try to charge me!

Before I've always just used my Nationwide card because even though they do charge me, when you get the visa rate it usually makes up for the charge and is then on par with the tourist rates! Only problem was that you had to really take out €300 each time as there was a charge of £1 for each withdrawal so it was always best to get the maximum allowed from the machine!

I just thought with the Santander card I could just take out the odd €50 and it wouldn't matter!

Oh well, I'll email them and see what I get!

melm
09-07-2013, 13:23
I'm really confused by all this!

I opened up a Santander account at the end of May and I think as long as I pay in at least £500 a month I will get free cash withdrawals at any Spanish Santander atm machine! I'm 99% sure this includes Tenerife, Majorca etc!
Thing is, there doesn't seem to be any definite facts on the Santander site itself! So I go into my local branch in the uk and ask someone if it includes Tenerife? She then asked me if Tenerife was part of Spain! I said yes it's an Island like Majorca and her response was that she THINKS I will be ok!
That's that then, well worth my visit! If I get charged I'll just say 'but the girl in Walsall branch thought it'd be ok'

I suppose I should have asked her to check 100% but there was a queue forming behind me with other confused looking people, probably waiting to ask her if she thinks Madrid is part of Spain!

This caxton card does seem good as it looks like you get the visa rate! This is also the rate with the Santander card and they are usually at least 2 cents above the tourist rates!

I guess my only option now is to try and get confirmation emailed to me by Santander then at least I have some back up if they try to charge me!

Before I've always just used my Nationwide card because even though they do charge me, when you get the visa rate it usually makes up for the charge and is then on par with the tourist rates! Only problem was that you had to really take out €300 each time as there was a charge of £1 for each withdrawal so it was always best to get the maximum allowed from the machine!

I just thought with the Santander card I could just take out the odd €50 and it wouldn't matter!

Oh well, I'll email them and see what I get!

Please let us know if you get any response from Sandander. Have just opened this account and would love to know the answer.

SueB
09-07-2013, 15:45
I use my UK Santander debit card several times a year at Santander ATMs in Tenerife (last time in April this year) and have never been charged for withdrawals.