PDA

View Full Version : Football Racism in football

slodgedad
30-10-2012, 19:42
I have started this thread so we can discuss members' thoughts..

I've done this after the referee problem in the Chelsea/ Man Utd match and was surprised there wasn't already a thread about it.

Although there have been hints in the British press about racism, as they are constrained by the legal side of it, the Spanish press have reported that the ref said, 'Stupid Spaniard'

What do you think, is this racist?

marbro8
30-10-2012, 20:13
I have started this thread so we can discuss members' thoughts..

I've done this after the referee problem in the Chelsea/ Man Utd match and was surprised there wasn't already a thread about it.

Although there have been hints in the British press about racism, as they are constrained by the legal side of it, the Spanish press have reported that the ref said, 'Stupid Spaniard'

What do you think, is this racist?tbh if someone called me a stupid brit i wouldn't take it as racism, i would be more offended at being called stupid, it's like someone calling you a stupid african or stupid jamaican, you should allways be proud of where you come from, but i would think that using the colour of your skin would be classed as racism not where you come from?;)

slodgedad
30-10-2012, 20:17
tbh if someone called me a stupid brit i wouldn't take it as racism, i would be more offended at being called stupid, it's like someone calling you a stupid african or stupid jamaican, you should allways be proud of where you come from, but i would think that using the colour of your skin would be classed as racism not where you come from?;)

Agree, but the rules seem to be, any reference to your ethnic background is racist.

I would rather be called a stupid welshman than a stupid moron.

marbro8
30-10-2012, 20:22
Agree, but the rules seem to be, any reference to your ethnic background is racist.

I would rather be called a stupid welshman than a stupid moron.lol :crylaughing:so would i and i am english

slodgedad
30-10-2012, 20:25
lol :crylaughing:so would i and i am english

:bootyshake::sorry::tongue:

Fivepence
30-10-2012, 20:32
I prefer someone to throw words at me than a knife or a bullet.

I think most of the 'hurt' may be caused by the opportunity to claim compensation but it seems to be an emotive subject in any case.

golf birdie
30-10-2012, 20:40
I think its about time for some people to man up and stop being so fragile.

Harmonicaman
30-10-2012, 20:51
I don't see what the ref has done wrong. If he is Spanish then he's a Spaniard, if he's stupid then he's stupid.

warbey
30-10-2012, 20:53
When I was a Kid there was a Rhyme.

Sticks and stones can break My Bones

But Words can never harm Me.

My observations on this Subject, are that its a One Way Street....

If it WASsaid, and He actually thought He was thick, does that make it a Double fault. ?

I can be thin-skinned, but This is getting rather Childish.....

marbro8
30-10-2012, 21:13
When I was a Kid there was a Rhyme.

Sticks and stones can break My Bones

But Words can never harm Me.

My observations on this Subject, are that its a One Way Street....

If it WASsaid, and He actually thought He was thick, does that make it a Double fault. ?

I can be thin-skinned, but This is getting rather Childish.....that's the price you pay for living in a politically correct society:(, in a few years we will have lawyer apps on our phones so that we can ask what we can a can't say to someone:(

warbey
30-10-2012, 21:20
that's the price you pay for living in a politically correct society:(, in a few years we will have lawyer apps on our phones so that we can ask what we can a can't say to someone:(

I have never heard of a poor (cashwise) Lawyer. This subject must make Them lick Their Lips.

Slodge, I plead this is synonymous with this subject, whatever Nationality. So is ON Topic.

languagefan
31-10-2012, 14:46
well, football culture and fanaticism associated with it have always had a bit of racism tagging along!
Sometimes, the amount of energy/rage in the air scares me and reminds me of the gladiator era...
What we get too excited about - watching football - is our temporary inflation of egos as a result of identifying ourselves with a club, the bigger crowd, -ME- on a coloured piece of rag!
As long as the fans do not stab each other, we probably should turn a blind eye to the milder reflections of our unexpressed aggressive nature...:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

However, calling somebody a stupid moron feels much better from the viewpoint of the speaker/cursing party - if one is very angry indeed :D

I would rather be called a stupid welshman than a stupid moron.