PDA

View Full Version : Health How do I register with a doctor in Tenerife?

RETEPYELKNIRB
04-11-2012, 14:22
Can anyone help with this question?coming to Fanabe area for 4 months soon,GP in England can only issue repeat prescription for 3 months.Do I need to register l
With local Doctor and can he prescribe? Any advise most appreciated thanks.

casabonny
04-11-2012, 18:11
You will not be able to register with a social doctor here unless you have various papers which as a tourist you will not have.However you will be entitled to emergency medical car under your e111.Your best bet would be to go to one of the private doctors here and get a private prescription , but I would assume that you would need a letter from your british GP confirming what medication you are on.

Megaloo
04-11-2012, 19:07
A friend of mine who is staying here for a time has to have her blood checked because she is on Warfarin, she has attended the local health centre with her E111 and passport been able to see a Doctor who has ordered her the blood test, gone back for results same day and Doctor has told her what doses of the drug she needs to take, so far she has had two monthly appointments.
Also I appreciate Warfarin is not prescribed here they use Sintrom instead.

cainaries
04-11-2012, 19:53
I have no idea why this works but it does .... a friend of takes his UK prescription plus all the original boxes and bottles of his medicine to the chemist here and they give him the pills (sorry, I mean they sell him the pills). However, this may not be the case everywhere.

You should definitely make sure you bring your European Health Insurance Card with you (EHIC). I'm not sure they still issue E111s. Plus your prescription.

Megaloo
04-11-2012, 21:31
I have no idea why this works but it does .... a friend of takes his UK prescription plus all the original boxes and bottles of his medicine to the chemist here and they give him the pills (sorry, I mean they sell him the pills). However, this may not be the case everywhere.

You should definitely make sure you bring your European Health Insurance Card with you (EHIC). I'm not sure they still issue E111s. Plus your prescription.

Sorry I meant EHIC got. E111 on the brain

Kande
05-11-2012, 13:02
You can buy certain medications over the counter here without a prescription. If you tell us whats the name of the medication someone on here may know if you need a prescription or not or you can pm me with the name and I will pop in to a chemist and ask for you.