PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Habitual residency test for people moving back to the UK

caroll72
04-11-2012, 20:37
Following on from Carpenter & Sharon & Toms recent threads, and for anyone who may be thinking of going back to the uk in the not too distant future, i would urge everyone to do as much research as possible beforehand on the dreaded 'Habitual Residency Test'.

Unless you're lucky enough to be going straight back into paid employment, you'll almost certaintly be needing to claim benefits in the short term.

Doesn't matter whether it's Jobseekers Allowance, Housing Benefit etc, you won't get a penny off the DWP or housing authorities until you satisfy the conditions & pass this test.

Basically, it's another form you have to fill in to determine whether or not you are 'habitually resident'.
The form asks many questions such as : Have you kept a bank account open in the uk? (no of course you haven't), but you don't write that down. Yes, you have a bank account, yes you have registered with a doctor.
It will ask for the doctors name & address, give your old one, or find one out from the phone book in the area you are going back to.

How many times have you been back to the uk?
Never!
Tell them you visit family every 6 months.
Give as many positive answers as possible, make them up if you have to, they don't check.
If youv'e applied to any housing authorities for accommodation, include copies of their letters with your form.
Don't tell them that your reason for returning to the uk is because there's no work in tenerife. Tell them you're going back to be closer to family, to give your child a uk education etc.

We were well prepared for this test when we came back 18 months ago & passed it. Jobseekers allowance was paid to us within 2 weeks of applying, but friends of ours who came back before us failed it because they gave the 'wrong' answers.
Didn't matter to the DWP that they had children. They had to rely on savings, then handouts from family & friends while it went to appeal.

Don't become another victim of this wretched test.

lesbroz
05-11-2012, 00:24
Following on from Carpenter & Sharon & Toms recent threads, and for anyone who may be thinking of going back to the uk in the not too distant future, i would urge everyone to do as much research as possible beforehand on the dreaded 'Habitual Residency Test'.

Unless you're lucky enough to be going straight back into paid employment, you'll almost certaintly be needing to claim benefits in the short term.

Doesn't matter whether it's Jobseekers Allowance, Housing Benefit etc, you won't get a penny off the DWP or housing authorities until you satisfy the conditions & pass this test.

Basically, it's another form you have to fill in to determine whether or not you are 'habitually resident'.
The form asks many questions such as : Have you kept a bank account open in the uk? (no of course you haven't), but you don't write that down. Yes, you have a bank account, yes you have registered with a doctor.
It will ask for the doctors name & address, give your old one, or find one out from the phone book in the area you are going back to.

Never!
Give as many positive answers as possible, make them up if you have to, they don't check.
If youv'e applied to any housing authorities for accommodation, include copies of their letters with your form.
Don't tell them that your reason for returning to the uk is because there's no work in tenerife. Tell them you're going back to be closer to family, to give your child a uk education etc.

We were well prepared for this test when we came back 18 months ago & passed it. Jobseekers allowance was paid to us within 2 weeks of applying, but friends of ours who came back before us failed it because they gave the 'wrong' answers.
Didn't matter to the DWP that they had children. They had to rely on savings, then handouts from family & friends while it went to appeal.

Sorry Carrol, but is this not defrauding the tax payers of the UK???

Ed3229
05-11-2012, 08:50
Sorry Carrol, but is this not defrauding the tax payers of the UK???

It is fraud.....The post made me call a good friend who is a fraud investigator in the UK.
He has told me that ALL applications are/will be looked at in full.
They will temporally pass some people but will check banks,DR's,credit cards etc for activity back a number of years.

caroll72
05-11-2012, 09:02
Why is it fraud? The idea of the test is to establish whether you have retained ties with the uk, the more you can prove you have, the more chance of passing it.
TBH, they'll look at any way of failing you, despite the fact youv'e paid taxes & NI for the best part of your life.

One the other hand, if you'd just arrived from, say, Somalia, you get the bloody lot, including the flat screen tv!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It is fraud.....The post made me call a good friend who is a fraud investigator in the UK.
They will temporally pass some people but will check banks,DR's,credit cards etc for activity back a number of years.

Well, there's always one 'do gooder'. :whistle:

Ed3229
05-11-2012, 09:33
Well, there's always one 'do gooder'. :whistle:[/QUOTE]

He's no "do gooder" just a man protecting the benefit system......Not a job I would like as he's been attacked with a knife,spat at,had dirty druggie needles thrown at him just to name a few things that he puts up with most weeks.

Medanoman
20-12-2012, 03:13

I really don't think you understand the unfairness of it all..I suspect you think that the Habitual Residency Test is for everyone correct? You are very sadly mistaken.

15 Returning to the UK from this link http://www.independentage.org/media/231466/5_moving_to_and_returning_from_abroad_2011.pdf
15.1 Claiming benefits – habitual residency
If you have just entered or returned to the United Kingdom and wish to claim benefits, your eligibility to do so will depend on one or more of the following: the National Insurance (NI) contributions you have paid during your working life; the NI contributions you have paid for a particular period of time; whether you live in the UK now; whether you usually live in the UK; why you have come to or returned to live in the UK; whether your entry to the UK is subject to limitations or conditions.
If you have been living outside the UK for more than approximately two years, you may be asked to do a Habitual Residency test to establish to the authorities that your return to the UK is intended to be permanent. This applies to all claimants who wish to claim for: Income support Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance Pension Credit Housing and Council Tax Benefits.
The term ‘habitually resident’ is not defined in regulations, but there is substantial case law about the Habitual Residency test. There is no absolute definition or list of factors which determines a person’s habitual residence. The decision rests with decision-makers within the local council or with the Department for Work and Pensions. A person who is habitually resident in the UK must have a ‘settled intention’ to reside here, which is decided by looking at all the circumstances.
Factors which may be taken into account include: bringing your possessions with you;
5: Moving to and Returning from Abroad: benefits and services
2011-12 32
travelling on a one-way ticket; selling your property abroad; securing accommodation in this country; bringing your family with you; registering with a doctor, dentist, electoral roll etc; your future plans.
Unless a person is exempt from the test, most people will have to be actually resident in this country for a certain period of time before becoming habitually resident. There is no set time-limit for this, which can be anything from a few days up to six months, but it does depend on the facts of each case. UK case law has shown that it is possible for factual habitual residence to be demonstrated within one to three months. Government guidance suggests that UK nationals returning to the country to re-establish their ties here, who have strong connections with the UK such as family ties, or past work history, should be treated as habitually resident as soon as they return. However, the rules governing the Habitual Residency test are complex and it is important to seek advice if you are in any doubt about the test.
15.2 How to appeal – habitual residency
If you are refused benefits because you have failed to pass the habitual residency test, you can request a revision, a supersession or appeal to a tribunal. You will need to put your request for reconsideration of the benefits in writing to the office that sent you the decision letter within one month of the date on the letter (except in exceptional circumstances). You must also send to the office any evidence to support your case. Decision-makers will look at the circumstances of your case which will include the time spent in the UK, reasons for returning, your future intentions, previous links to this country and the reasons for your absence. The department may make a decision based on this evidence or decide to refer your case to the Tribunals Service.

Ok thats straight forward except that it only applies to YOU

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043519/Now-EU-orders-Britain-Let-migrants-claim-benefits-soon-arrive-UK.html

Who is exempt from the Habitual Residence Test?

The following EEA nationals (the 27 EU member states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and A2 nationals (Bulgaria and Romania) are exempt from the Habitual Residence test:

So I have come to the conclusion that its easier for me to go home if I get a Spanish Passport. I have lived here well over 10 years and i can become a Spanish citizen without a problem.

According to HM , once British you are always British and there is some doubt about dual nationality, but if you turn up with a Spanish passport or a Rumanian One you will ultimately be treated better. In the End they would be breaching my human rights as a Spanish citizen by refusing me benefit. Ironic , and very sad. Sad they do not think about my Human rights as a Britisher. How do you feel about fraud now?

Balcony
20-12-2012, 09:48
With this type of post there always seems to me to be an element of someone wanting something for nothing. People leave the UK for all sorts of reasons and the vast majority do so 'legally' i.e they register in their newly adopted country etc etc. If things don't work out then why not stay in the country and claim there? Why not get a job washing up etc?

Like most of you I know people who have returned to the UK; some for financial, some for health reasons. However, why should they immediately be due handouts? If there is a qualifying period etc then follow those rules. They might be British, but they were not residents.

There's too many people 'resident' in places like Tenerife and still claiming UK benefits. It should be stopped. Pensions are something else, since you paid-in to qualify, but equally you should be at the mercy of exchange rates and bank charges (if being paid into a foreign bank).

Malteser Monkey
20-12-2012, 10:05
Why is it fraud? The idea of the test is to establish whether you have retained ties with the uk, the more you can prove you have, the more chance of passing it.
TBH, they'll look at any way of failing you, despite the fact youv'e paid taxes & NI for the best part of your life.

One the other hand, if you'd just arrived from, say, Somalia, you get the bloody lot, including the flat screen tv!!!!!

Well, there's always one 'do gooder'. :whistle:

That is exactly what first sprang to my mind ! sad to say

patrica
20-12-2012, 11:17
Yeah right ,, they pay it to all the people that come from other country's , give them houses , health care , schools ,, etc etc , they have never payed a penny in . They house and pay terrorist give them money to fight there court case to stay in England . So get a life mate till England sorts all that Cxxp out ,, NUTS ,, this is some thing that really gets my back up .. BIG TIME

Well you called your friend in England to tell him you are SO GOOD,,,, NOT,,,, Oh check on this mate people getting money etc etc ,, well you should get a life ,, sounds like you need one a HAPPY one not a miserable one , that you try to see parents that have tried and failed for a life in Tenerife , most payed into england , who Have to go back for one reason or another ,, try to get a house an food for children etc etc. You the big person I (being you) must stop this ,, WELL YOU ARE SUCH A NICE PERSON ;NOT; Your life must be filled with such happiness lol and after you doing that GOOD

Medanoman
20-12-2012, 11:55
Balcony;247084]With this type of post there always seems to me to be an element of someone wanting something for nothing. People leave the UK for all sorts of reasons and the vast majority do so 'legally' i.e they register in their newly adopted country etc etc. If things don't work out then why not stay in the country and claim there? Why not get a job washing up etc?

Like most of you I know people who have returned to the UK; some for financial, some for health reasons. However, why should they immediately be due handouts? If there is a qualifying period etc then follow those rules. They might be British, but they were not residents.

I don't think you read the post. You missed the point entirely...Its about there being one rule for the British and another for everyone else. The absurd situation of getting a Spanish passport to make benefits easier in our own country. As for trying to find a job doing the washing up here I do not think you live on the same island. The Canaries have the worst unemployment in the European Union running at 37% amongst the locals. And a hell of a lot more among the expat working community of which you do not seem part of ..Why not stay in the country and claim there?, well unlike the UK the benefits system runs out in Spain, there's no child benefit , no free school meals, no free dentistry, no free prescriptions and with a queue that circumnavigates the Valdes center in Los Cris to sign on its a difficult task to find a post washing up. it is inevitable that a move back to the to the uk is seen as a last resort for some and possibly a good move since the current UK unemployment rate of 7.8 % was never been seen in Spain even in the good years let alone now. .

golf birdie
20-12-2012, 12:06
Pensions are something else, since you paid-in to qualify, but equally you should be at the mercy of exchange rates and bank charges (if being paid into a foreign bank).

so you agree with pensioners who by their own free will decided to nove aboard being allowed to return to the UK for their medical treatment?

Balcony
20-12-2012, 15:49
Ah, so a rant against foreigners. Medanoman. Makes sense. Not so good for you so its all the fault of those pesky foreigners.

I know the welfare system in Tenerife is so different from the UK's. but if you chose to go live in a country with that system then you have to live with it.

If you come back to the UK and you are a UK citizen you do qualify for immediate health service facilities...this from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Go to this page for some advice regading moving back to the UK

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121015000000/www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_4000140

This was a page of the FCO, which has now been archived to National Archives, but has sensible answers to many questions.

Medanoman
20-12-2012, 16:29
If you come back to the UK and you are a UK citizen you do qualify for immediate health service facilities...this from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Go to this page for some advice regading moving back to the UK

Wrong again your are not entitled to heath care. http://www.heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/index.php/general-advice-for-british-nationals-returning-to-the-uk-from-abroad/

Access to Health Care
Any treatment and healthcare depends on the individual’s level of need. Should a returnee re-enter the UK with significant medical needs requiring urgent medical treatment, including mental health issues, they will need to present to the nearest Accident & Emergency (A&E) Department for a medical assessment. If arriving at London Heathrow Airport, the nearest Accident & Emergency is in Hillingdon Hospital. Please note that automatic access to the NHS for non-acute medical treatment is not guaranteed.

Until the returnee has become ‘habitually resident’ in the UK, the NHS will only offer free medical care for ‘urgent needs’, i.e. A&E only. Any treatment for pre-existing medical conditions may be charged for.

Alas nothing further from the truth. This isn't a rant against foreigners again you did not read the comment. Its about British being discriminated against. Come back when you can absorb information correctly. I am after all a a foreigner now myself having applied for Spanish citizenship. Its sad to see that some prefer to grass up their own kind first without being aware of the repercussions.

The welfare system never bothered me here, but then again who could have foreseen this place as having the worst unemployment in Europe.

Medanoman
21-12-2012, 15:10
YOU as an overseas visitor to the UK

You should also remember if you return for visits to the UK you may not automatically be able to obtain health cover there.

Are you visiting the United Kingdom? Have you been living outside the UK for more than 3 months? Did you know that you may have to pay for hospital treatment whilst in the UK? Hospital treatment is free to people who ordinarily live in the United Kingdom . If you do not normally live here then you may be required to pay for any treatment you might need. This is regardless of whether you are a British citizen or have lived or worked in the UK in the past.

Under the current Regulations, anyone who spends more than 3 months living outside the UK is no longer automatically entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. This includes people in receipt of UK state retirement pensions.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074386

You should make sure you have applied for a European Health Card from the Spanish authorities before returning to the UK as a visitor - this if free and valid for one year from the date of issue. I can help you to obtain this card if you do not know where to go or do not speak Spanish.

marbro8
21-12-2012, 18:56
so what you are saying then medanoman is if i go over to tenerefe for a long let stay from october to march i would not be entitled to free health care when i get back? even though i have paid taxes and national insurance for 35 years and i am registered with my local doctor?, but someone from say some eastern block country can come to the uk and live here for 3 months and they automatically qualify for the treatment that i have been paying for all those years???

Tom & Sharon
21-12-2012, 20:03
so what you are saying then medanoman is if i go over to tenerefe for a long let stay from october to march i would not be entitled to free health care when i get back? even though i have paid taxes and national insurance for 35 years and i am registered with my local doctor?, but someone from say some eastern block country can come to the uk and live here for 3 months and they automatically qualify for the treatment that i have been paying for all those years???

Course you would. The minute you return to the country, you are entitled to use the healthcare. To not qualify, you have to move PERMANENTLY away fom the UK, and have de-registered with your doctor.

As in all things official though, it's best not to tell anyone where you are or what you're doing. It can always come back to bite you in the bum if you do!

marbro8
21-12-2012, 20:07
Course you would. The minute you return to the country, you are entitled to use the healthcare. To not qualify, you have to move PERMANENTLY away fom the UK, and have de-registered with your doctor.

As in all things official though, it's best not to tell anyone where you are or what you're doing. It can always come back to bite you in the bum if you do!thank god for that i was begining to feel like a bloody outcast before i had even left:lol: just looked at your location have you moved from the golf de sur?

Tom & Sharon
21-12-2012, 20:10
thank god for that i was begining to feel like a bloody outcast before i had even left:lol: just looked at your location have you moved from the golf de sur?

Nope! Just asked Tom if he's changed it, and he's looking at me blankly..........and it wasn't me! :lol:

marbro8
21-12-2012, 20:23
Nope! Just asked Tom if he's changed it, and he's looking at me blankly..........and it wasn't me! :lol::lol:either gremlins or slodge:lol:

life is short
21-12-2012, 21:23
For some detailed information check this out:

http://uk.sitestat.com/fcoweb/ukingov/s?lon.esp.en.help-for-british-nationals.living-in-spain.returning-to-uk.p.pdf.returning-to-uk&ns_type=pdf&ns_url=http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/help-for-BNs/returning-to-uk

This is from the website of the British Embassy Madrid (UK in Spain):

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/returning-to-uk/

caroll72
21-12-2012, 21:59
so you agree with pensioners who by their own free will decided to nove aboard being allowed to return to the UK for their medical treatment?

And don't forget the poor old pensioners living in Tenerife who still get the winter fuel allowance, living in the sun, while there's pensioners in the uk, struggling to make ends meet & scared to turn the bloody heating on!

Wrong again your are not entitled to heath care. http://www.heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/index.php/general-advice-for-british-nationals-returning-to-the-uk-from-abroad/

Access to Health Care
Any treatment and healthcare depends on the individual’s level of need. Should a returnee re-enter the UK with significant medical needs requiring urgent medical treatment, including mental health issues, they will need to present to the nearest Accident & Emergency (A&E) Department for a medical assessment. If arriving at London Heathrow Airport, the nearest Accident & Emergency is in Hillingdon Hospital. Please note that automatic access to the NHS for non-acute medical treatment is not guaranteed.

Until the returnee has become ‘habitually resident’ in the UK, the NHS will only offer free medical care for ‘urgent needs’, i.e. A&E only. Any treatment for pre-existing medical conditions may be charged for.

Alas nothing further from the truth. This isn't a rant against foreigners again you did not read the comment. Its about British being discriminated against. Come back when you can absorb information correctly. I am after all a a foreigner now myself having applied for Spanish citizenship. Its sad to see that some prefer to grass up their own kind first without being aware of the repercussions.

The welfare system never bothered me here, but then again who could have foreseen this place as having the worst unemployment in Europe.

When we came back to uk, we went to local doctor, armed with medical cards from when we lived there before & got accepted straight away.

Medanoman
21-12-2012, 23:31

Providing those at the beginning of this thread do not grass you to their friends in the DHSS you should be ok. You would be subject to the habitual Residency test though. As all British citizens are. But this should not be a problem in your case as you would pass this easily. I would think that you are registered with a local doctor still and have the uk bank accounts still etc etc ...but the fact remains that YOU are still Subject to passing Said Test...The Irony being that the central courts of Europe judged that the test was against the human rights of all European union members and thus cannot be applied to them.

melm
22-12-2012, 00:04
as far as i am concerned pensioners who have worked and paid into the system are entitled to health care in the UK and the same for the heating allowance no matter where they live. they are only getting something back after years of contributions.

we are pensioners in the UK and after a lifetime of work and paying NI and tax the only benefit we get is the heating allowance. I know people who have never worked and they get every benefit going..makes you wonder. Would I like to be them.......no. I am proud of my work ethic.

Just been speaking to a couple who live in Portugal and are here for medical appointments.....and why shouldnt they..........they have paid their dues.

Medanoman
22-12-2012, 01:36
We may agree with your sentiments but that does not mean they are legal ones. Until the law is re written its illegal. Any stay away over 3 months begins to get you in muddy legal waters. Obviously the longer the time away the harder it would be to justify that trip back for medical treatment.

Earlier another person said When you move abroad you adopt the social security system of the place you move to. Although was unwilling to listen to the idea that they would loose their uk medical services..Ironic.

The islands are a long way away from the uk. My Uncle fell ill here a few years ago and was looked after in Hospiten like a king for 3 months on his E111 before finally paying 20 grand for an Air ambulance to take him home. After 3 months of dreaming to go home his dream suddenly became a nightmare when the hospital staff refused to admit him ( even after notice) and was then left in a corridor in Stevenage Hospital for 36 hours, They then said they could find nothing wrong with him , before finally, after much argument admitting him. He died 4 days later. It is sad but i believe that in the UK anyone over 65 is seen as a potential money drain. I hope that no one reading this repeats this sorry tale without insurance for the air ambulance, or a valid E111 form to cover 1200 euros a night it costs in intensive care here before treatment. Don't think you will be received with open arms on your sick return to the uk...Because you won't.

Here in Spain, The Paro or Dole is seen differently to dole in the UK. The generally accepted view here is that I paid in to get my dole therefore i will be darned If i loose a Penny of it. Of course , as a Englishman my reply to my Spanish friends is "But you contributions are for everybody , to support the welfare state , regardless of if you need them or not". The paying in of contributions then, is to help the system in which they are paid. It is not a pot of money for your exclusive use. If someone wants to leave the country they are free to. Although they should go with adequate private medical insurance. to cover every eventuality. An Impossible task or at least very very expensive making relocation far too expensive for the normal pensioner without the shady practice of returning to the UK. Again I don't make the laws, but just be careful that those who wanted to report people to the DHSS for returning home for benefit due to high unemployment here don't also report you for the medical treatment that you are not entitled to..., I suspect that on reflection they will become suddenly selective in their judgements, and less willing to up hold the law. But the law is an ass.

Wolfeman
22-12-2012, 08:54
The man who has a work ethic is right why should he not come over as a visitor or as we say a Swallow or even 91 day visitor and get his heating allowance he has paid all his money he had to in the UK, if you choose to work and have a nie social number and a nomini then your in the system and if your lucky enough to pay the required amounts you can claim Dopa here it used to be at least 2 years or I could be wrong a required length of required contract ie nomini.

This is the problem though getting it renewed by a employer is like winning the euro lottery so learn Spanish to reading and writing and all the people who had good jobs in the uk with degrees or a trade you can try and infiltrate the working system.

Yes there are few jobs for the Canarians but if educated with training and the language skills there is a significantly stronger probability of having a job/career in Spain the mainland are crying out for computer programmer's, engineers, designers, nurses, teachers ................here it is a small Island we come we stay we wait for the free papers and we moan and moan we choose here for one thing WEATHER so if not dedicated to learn the language and to writing standards then find a gap go self employed but do not do what others do and whinge whine and give up.

The U.k. is a great place to live if you like the weather system and you live in the right part like Cornwall or Dorset etc etc How many have had the free lessons in Los Cristianos for Spanish its not so bad everytime you dont understand ask a canarian to translate I bet most speak English they have to its there livelyhood.!!

melm
22-12-2012, 15:09
medanoman ....the story about your uncle was pretty awful to read. I must agree with you that we pensioners are seen as a drain on the national health...........my mother was once given treatment only to be told if she was over 70 this would not have been prescribed that particular medicine, this was many years ago dont know if this still applies but i suspect it does.

Let me tell you the experience of a very good friend of mine...a long time resident in Tenerife.....at least 20 years. A couple of years back he took ill and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. despite wonderful treatment by the Spanish doctors his wish was to die in the UK. He was luck enough to be given permission by his doctor to fly home in a very poor state of health.

He went home to live with his sister and was treated by the national health......admitted to hospital and eventually the local hospice.
He passed away surrounded by his family as he wished.

Is it a case of where you live in the UK? I dont know.

I love Tenerife and visit two or three times a year. would I live there...no..too old now.

As my sister keeps reminding us we all in gods waiting room, and on that cheery note I wish you all the best for christmas and the new year.

honda
23-12-2012, 11:27

Never!

Just say "me no understand", you'll get everything.