PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Big dilema. We're thinking of moving to Tenerife and need help

greenc
05-11-2012, 13:33
Hi everyone. I know that this subject has been discussed many times, but things change all the time and I would like some advice. My husband and I own a property in Tenerife and are thinking of going out to live for at least 12 months - maybe more if it works out, some time next year, but we would need some part time work to cover our costs, as our outgoings are quite small over there. My Husband is a Painter/Decorator/Tiler and I will lend my hand to anything, my Spanish is basic though. We are currently renting in the UK and working full time, but in a rat race, because although we both have work, after we pay the rent.countal tax and bills, we have very little left at the end of the month and not even living in our own property and cannot do anything to it, so it feels like we are in limbo. There we have the dilema. Do we give this up and try beautiful Tenerife or do we stay here and continue like hamsters on a wheel, running all the time, but never actually getting anywhere. We lived and worked in Tenerife a few years ago, before deciding to come back to UK, so we know how difficult things are out there. We do have the money to get us going, but cannot make our minds up, if we should just make the jump and do it, as you only live once and we would want to do this before we are too old. Any comments would be appreciated

languagefan
05-11-2012, 13:47
Hi there,
You explained the rat rate situation and how difficult it is there in the UK. If that means you should take good risks do it, but make sure that u assess your risks and jump the leaps right. Tenerife is lovely but staying jobless and the terror of making your ends meet marginally can turn this beautiful paradise to a lonely and sad place.
Finding a job is nearly impossible in Tenerife these day. The Crisis has made everybody patriotic, so any upcoming jobs go to first degree friends/relatives. Employers big or small have become as mean as the possibly can (mean stingy and mean malicious!). If moving to Tenerife is really vital to your health and relationship, I suggest one of you who is a stronger shark/survivor/qualified comes first and finds a job before breaking bridges behind your back.
Good luck anyway :)

Fivepence
05-11-2012, 13:50
Hello Greenc, I'm only an occasional holiday visitor that lives in the UK so I have no experience to enable me to offer you advice but there are lots of friendly helpful members who will help you with your decision.
They may not tell you what you hope to hear but they will be honest, so don't get upset if the advice is not what you hoped for.

Best wishes and good luck, whatever you decide to do.

:goodluck:

Sundowner
05-11-2012, 16:52
Hi everyone. I know that this subject has been discussed many times, but things change all the time and I would like some advice. My husband and I own a property in Tenerife and are thinking of going out to live for at least 12 months - maybe more if it works out, some time next year, but we would need some part time work to cover our costs, as our outgoings are quite small over there. My Husband is a Painter/Decorator/Tiler and I will lend my hand to anything, my Spanish is basic though. We are currently renting in the UK and working full time, but in a rat race, because although we both have work, after we pay the rent.countal tax and bills, we have very little left at the end of the month and not even living in our own property and cannot do anything to it, so it feels like we are in limbo. There we have the dilema. Do we give this up and try beautiful Tenerife or do we stay here and continue like hamsters on a wheel, running all the time, but never actually getting anywhere. We lived and worked in Tenerife a few years ago, before deciding to come back to UK, so we know how difficult things are out there. We do have the money to get us going, but cannot make our minds up, if we should just make the jump and do it, as you only live once and we would want to do this before we are too old. Any comments would be appreciated

I think that you are in a better position than most to make that decision having lived in both places.

But I will say that with the uncertain future for the economy in Spain and the U.K. forecast to be the strongest growing economy in Europe over the next couple of years, I know where I would rather be!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/9654573/British-economy-to-grow-faster-than-all-major-countries-in-Europe.html

chifleta
05-11-2012, 18:32
If you own your property outright here (no mortgage) then that's a good start - i'd follow languagefans advice, one of you come over and test the waters for a couple of months, see if you can get work etc .... but defintely you'd need enough money to keep you going comfortable for 2 to 3 months and enough to get you back to UK if necessary.

willowlily
05-11-2012, 20:00
hi have you thought of the possibility of taking in a lodger, you would have to be practical in choosing a compatable person or couple if you have the space.
in the uk many families are finding this a source of extra income.
its worth a thought, a friend of mine advertised here on the forum and found an excellent lodger

nurse ratchet
05-11-2012, 20:01
greenc
May I suggest you read this thread , the first post in particular

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?21698-Who-should-or-shouldn-t-live-in-Tenerife

warbey
05-11-2012, 21:24
Just a Thought. I note Your remarks on the Rat race.

Have You a Family or just the Two of You, and is Your Property in Tenerife worth selling to

provide a Deposit for a Home in the U.K.?

If You have already had one go at Living There, maybe You should know already.

Also, it would have been an Idea to have tried some Nightschool Lessons in basic Spanish. whilst in the U.K.

Good Luck, whatever You choose.

Sammy60
05-11-2012, 22:50
I do empathize with you we came back two years since and live in a lovely rural part of Uk, I am due back soon I really tried but one day my former boss in a new business asked me back. My partner really misses Tenerife but will follow. I firmly believe if you want something that bad it will be ok as long as you plan it with positive determination. I have a contract with a Uk company also to enable me to sell a product in the Canaries with others as a franchise. So you must plan always have a backup plan after failing two years back It will not happen ever again.
BEST WISHES and I do hope it works out for you again, lets meet up for a coffee in 1 years time.?

greenc
06-11-2012, 16:42
I would just like to say a Big Thanks to everyone, for all your advice. In asnwer to some of the questions, there are only 2 of us, my husband and myself to support, but we still need to eat unfotunately, so still need to earn a small amount, as we are not at a pensionable age yet !!. We did make a success of it, when we lived there, but that was arounf 5 years ago and thinks have changed so much. We have put our house in Tenerife up for sale, at a realistic price, but have not had any interest at all. If we could sell it, then this would be the answer to our prayers and we could buy in the UK. It is like a circle, because, we have a beautifual home in Tenerife, where our money is tied up, but cannot earn a living and we are stuck renting in the UK, where we can earn decent money, but pay it all in rent and bills. So the Dilema goes on, we still can not decide, we change our minds from day to day, sometimes our heart wins and then our head takes over. Maybe we should jus take the leap!!

caroll72
06-11-2012, 20:07
I was just the same 2 years ago, couldnt decide whether to stay in tenerife or go back to the uk. Changed my mind every hour. Made lists of good & bad in both.
Finally moved back 18 months ago. But i have to say, renting property in the uk is a big drain on your weekly income. Even social housing is expensive now, especially if you're on minimum rate.
We ended up buying a static caravan in uk, so many people doing this now. It's by far a cheaper way to live as you own the caravan & only pay a small amount in ground rent, compared to bricks & mortar.
Just a thought, it may be another option for you.

penelope pitstop
06-11-2012, 20:39
We also moved back to the UK 3 yrs ago after 8 yrs of struggling in Tenerife. The job situation then was bad enough, it must be worse now.
I can only suggest you give it a try for a few months to see how it goes if you can afford to stay there without working for that long. But I think you may find it easier job wise in the UK. If you already have work is it right to give it up?
Please give it some careful thought as I am sure there are still people moving back to the UK as they cannot afford to stay over there.