PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Forum food and drink thread

Ed3229
20-06-2011, 16:02
We all like food on the forum and food topics are very popular.Could we have a food section to share recipes from home and the islands.I love to cook and I am always looking for new ideas from people.

cjd01
20-06-2011, 16:29
We all like food on the forum and food topics are very popular.Could we have a food section to share recipes from home and the islands.I love to cook and I am always looking for new ideas from people.

Thats a fab idea - Id be happy to share my favourite recipes!

with cheese
20-06-2011, 17:33
Go on then start

Ed3229
20-06-2011, 17:43
This is the best chili-con-carne ever.......To cook for four quarter all the ingredients.........Enjoy :hat:

Chili-Con-Carne by Jamie Oliver

Everyone should know how to make a really good chilli, and this one’s a right cracker.

I've been working on this chilli for a while, and cowboy-land helped me pull it together. The cut of meat is affordable and delicious and gives the chilli a gorgeous texture, similar to a beef stew. I made this over a fire, and when you're cooking like that, one of the best ways to control the temperature is to add liquid. The cowboys had plenty of coffee to hand, so I used that and it ended up adding to the wonderfully unique flavour.

Serves 10 to 12

2kg (4½lb) , Brisket trimmed and sliced into 2.5cm (1in) thick pieces across the grain
500ml (18fl oz) hot coffee
3 large dried chillies (ancho, chipotle or poblano)
olive oil
2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
2 heaped teaspoons smoked paprika
1 heaped teaspoon dried oregano
2 fresh bay leaves
2 red onions, peeled and diced
3-4 fresh chillies
2 cinnamon sticks
10 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons molasses or muscovado sugar
3 red, yellow or orange peppers, de-seeded and sliced
2 x 400g tins of beans (kidney, butter or pinto), drained
optional: soured cream, to serve

1. Ask your butcher to trim and slice your brisket for you. If you're doing it yourself, carefully trim the meat by discarding any fat or silver skin. Cut the meat against, rather than with, the grain into 2.5cm (1in) thick pieces.

2. Make your coffee and, while it's hot, soak the dried chillies in it for a few minutes to let them rehydrate. Meanwhile, put your largest casserole-type pan on a low heat and add a few lugs of olive oil, the cumin, paprika, oregano, bay
leaves and onions. Fry for 10 minutes, until the onions have softened. De-seed and chop half your fresh chillies. Slice up the rehydrated chillies and add them to the onion mixture along with the chopped fresh chilli, the cinnamon sticks,
sliced garlic, a good pinch of salt and pepper and a splash of the chilli-infused coffee. Stir, then add the rest of the coffee, the tinned tomatoes and the molasses or sugar. Add the pieces of brisket and another good pinch of salt and pepper,
cover with a lid and simmer for around 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After a few hours use 2 forks or a potato masher to break the meat up and pull it apart. Once you've done this, add the sliced peppers and tinned beans and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes with the lid off until the meat
is completely falling apart and delicious. Have a taste and season well - if you require a bit more heat (like I would), this is the time to de-seed and chop the rest of your fresh chilli and stir it in. Dollop a big spoonful of soured cream
over the chilli if you fancy it, and serve straight from the pan, with fluffy rice, flatbreads or potatoes and a really nice fresh lemony green salad. Don't forget multiple cold beers! Enjoy.469

canarybird
20-06-2011, 19:32
I love Jamie Oliver recipes. Just one question...

The first item in the ingredient list is 2 kg of something...obviously the meat and that would be the brisket mentioned below in the preparation section?

I participated in an American cooking forum for over ten years and one of the secret ingredients in many of their successful chili con carne recipes was a square or two of dark chocolate. I tried it and it truly did add a certain extra something to the flavour.

That sounds like a good recipe.....thanks for posting it Ed! :-)

Here's a good recipe that I've used quite frequently:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Food/Food-2011/i-89qdhhL/0/M/44178497-pork-tenderloin-M.jpg

Pork Tenderloin With Bourbon Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon
* 1/4 cup light soy sauce
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* dash hot sauce
* 2 pork tenderloins, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds

PREPARATION:

In blender or food processor, combine bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, mustard, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and oil; pulse until smooth. Place tenderloin and marinade in a food storage bag; refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. Cook 4 inches from a hot charcoal fire for 15 to 25 minutes or until the pork has reached 165° internally and is no longer pink in the center. Baste occasionally while cooking. Slice in 1/2-inch thick slices to serve.

Serves 6.

Source: Diana Rattray,Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
Type of Prep : Broil, Grill
Cuisine : Southern, U.S. Regional

My Notes: I did only one tenderloin for the two of us, cutting it in half. We don't get light soy sauce here so I used the regular. Also we don't have a grill so I cooked it in a low casserole dish on the top rack of my toaster oven, 30 minutes at 200C (about 400F), turning once and basting twice.

I had only one hour time to marinate but the flavour was perfect !

Canarybird

Ed3229
21-06-2011, 15:35
Yes it is Brisket have done the changes.........

admin
21-06-2011, 15:39
Are you talking about recipes in general, or just Canarian dishes? It makes a difference as to whether it would be in General or Tenerife areas of the forum....

Also, until there are pages of threads warranting a section, we cannot start one. I can set up some prefixes and then when there are enough threads we can split them to a new forum, however empty forums damage our SEO, so we cannot just start one and wait for it to fill up. It has to be the other way round :)

Let us know what you think :)

Ed3229
21-06-2011, 15:47
If you fancy a cheese and pickled onion sandwich but dont have the pickled onions try this............

One Onion white/red sliced (thick or thin slices).
3 Table spoons of Cider/White wine vinegar.
A pinch of sugar
Salt and Black Pepper.

Slice the Onions and add the other ingredients to a small dish/bowl.
Now make the cheese part of the sandwich.......When you have done this the Onions will be ready just give them a bit of a mix around and add to the Cheese......Job done!!

Added after 7 minutes:

Are you talking about recipes in general, or just Canarian dishes? It makes a difference as to whether it would be in General or Tenerife areas of the forum....

Also, until there are pages of threads warranting a section, we cannot start one. I can set up some prefixes and then when there are enough threads we can split them to a new forum, however empty forums damage our SEO, so we cannot just start one and wait for it to fill up. It has to be the other way round :)

Let us know what you think :)

I would like to see both......
One for our favourite British recipes for the lucky folks on the island and one for Canarian recipes for us folks back home who would love to recreate the holiday food.

canarybird
10-08-2011, 14:48
PASTRY RECIPE

I mentioned on the Tenerife North Weather thread that I'd give out my favourite pastry recipe that I used in the photo of Chicken Pot Pie to anyone who PM'd me.

I decided later that I might as well make it public as it's such a good pastry and include photos of items I use here to make it in Tenerife.

So I'm going to add it to this thread as I don't think there is another recipe thread going yet.

Here's the finished chicken pie:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-J82h2Jk/0/M/P8109569-aug-10-2010-M.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-Lv8QsFd/0/M/P8109580-pot-pies-b-M.jpg

Here's the pastry recipe:

I searched for years for my perfect pie crust recipe - then one day I found it.
It was in a little cookbook written by three women from Victoria, Canada, who owned a dessert business and who had written a book of their recipes.

Since I found this one I have never looked further for a pastry that I use for both savoury and sweet pies.
People who have tasted this at my house have never left a crumb on their plate.

NATHAN'S NEVER FAIL PASTRY
These quantities make enough pastry for 3 double-crust 9 inch pies

You can halve the amounts if you don't want so much, but the remaining pastry does freeze and thaw well.

5 cups flour (approx. 640 grams)
1 teasp salt
2 teasp baking powder (Levadura Royal – red envelope) (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-m2MbvLS/0/M/P1050351-baking-powder-M.jpg )
1 lb (454 grams) lard - Manteca de cerdo (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-LxGpMCh/0/L/Collage-LARD-L.jpg)- sold in Mercadona in a 400 gram tub
2 teasp white vinegar -( I have also used a light Spanish wine vinegar)
1 egg - slightly beaten. Add enough water to vinegar and egg mixture to make a total of 1 cup

1) Mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in lard until crumbly (using two knives.)

2) Add liquid and mix gently with hands. (I use a fork to help me here.) Roll into a ball.

3) Roll out amount needed on a floured board. Refrigerate or freeze remainder

Source: 'I've GOT To Have That Recipe'
Doubleday Canada - Victoria, B.C. 1986

My tip: After step two I often put it in the fridge for an hour to make it firmer and easier to roll out.

Weights and measures:

The recipe was written for North American volume measures, using standard size cups and measuring spoons.
I've converted to approximate weight in grams.

One standard measuring cup (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-rPMVHmR/0/M/P1100258-1-cup-M.jpg)holds 8 fluid ounces of liquid

If you don't have a measuring cup or kitchen scales, you could use an 8 oz drinking glass to measure out one cup.

For the lard, you could buy just one tub of the 400 gram Mercadona lard and add 1 Tablespoon of butter to make up the 54 grams of missing lard.
If you don't have standard measuring spoons ( http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-nzZggjJ/0/M/P1100263-measuring-spoons-b-M.jpg), you could substitute a large dessert spoon and a regular teaspoon.

Canarybird

To use this pastry for a chicken pot pie, I make a chicken stew of carrot, potato, chicken breast, frozen peas, onion, celery, thyme and black pepper ground, cooked and added to a medium white sauce.

Ladle into small earthenware pots (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-FSpbqXW/0/M/P8109584-pot-pies-c-M.jpg ) ...bought in Trebol supermarket...and cover thickly with this pastry. Brush top of pastry lightly with a few drops milk.
This makes a gold film on the crust. Bake at 200°C 20 - 30 min until crust is golden.

Or...if you don't have a chicken stew recipe, try this one from Delia Online. (http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/chicken-and-leek-pot-pie.htm)

If you have a question, please go ahead and ask me. :)

Canarybird

cjd01
10-08-2011, 14:53
Wow thanks - going to make that this weekend for my Pop who is in hospital - can I just confirm the flour is plain? Thanks

canarybird
10-08-2011, 14:56
Yes....sorry I should have said....it's an all-purpose flour.

cainaries
10-08-2011, 15:04
Only just seen this thread, thanks for starting it Ed, a really good idea.

Just wanted to say I heartily endorse canarybird's proposal to add some dark chocolate to your chili con carne - when we can get hold of it we actually add a square per serving of chili chocolate. Only a tiny amount but it makes the whole dish richer.

Ed3229
10-08-2011, 17:23
Only just seen this thread, thanks for starting it Ed, a really good idea.

Just wanted to say I heartily endorse canarybird's proposal to add some dark chocolate to your chili con carne - when we can get hold of it we actually add a square per serving of chili chocolate. Only a tiny amount but it makes the whole dish richer.

I use coffee and Brisket not mince its a Jamie oliver recipe.

cainaries
10-08-2011, 18:48
Well someone should tell Jamie to add the chocolate!

canarybird
12-08-2011, 10:30
WATERMELON MARGARITA

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Tenerife-North-Weather-2/i-bRnKZd5/0/M/P8121506-aug-12-2005-M.jpg

This is the best margarita I've ever tasted !
My son-in-law made these for my birthday in Canada one year.
Missing from the pic is the slice of lime on the edge of the glass and the watermelon wedges.
They are sooo refreshing and not at all too sweet.

Watermelon Margarita

2 cups cubed, seedless watermelon, cut small
2 oz tequila
1 oz orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
4 lime and 4 watermelon wedges for garnishing

1. Freeze watermelon on a plastic wrap-lined plate until frozen solid
2. Place in a blender with the other ingredients and blend until smooth and light
3. Pour into a well-chilled glass, garnish with lime and watermelon wedges and serve immediately.

Source: Times Colonist Victoria Newspaper, B.C. Canada

Canarybird

PS I have to laugh! I included the name of my son-in-law, which is the short form of Richard.
It was starred out by the anti-naughty-words- filter....:D

footiefan
14-03-2012, 20:35
hi all, can anybody tell me where i can get soya mince from, iceland have stopped selling it.

bonitatime
15-03-2012, 09:50
Almost every health food Shop will have it. Where do you live?

LiLmissSunshine
08-04-2012, 20:16
Just want to ask a question, i'm looking for a good cookbook. Do you have any suggestions? Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson or anyone else? Which books are better? There is soo many about I just don't know what to choose. :)

bonitatime
08-04-2012, 22:37
I like Jamie Oliver's
I also have one of Gordon Ramsey's
Which I like best right now.

I have to say over the years the book I have most used was one with 1000 basic recipes I bought in Woolworths

Nafnut
20-04-2012, 23:30
I like Jamie Oliver's
I also have one of Gordon Ramsey's
Which I like best right now.

I have to say over the years the book I have most used was one with 1000 basic recipes I bought in Woolworths

Oh I miss Woolworths! Love my Jamie books, have 1 Gordon Ramsey which I'm not overly impressed with. Got a real bargain at the car boot sale a few weeks ago, a whole series of Good housekeeping books and they are great.

Peanuts
27-06-2012, 19:07
Just browsing here .. wondered if a recipe section has been started .. can't find it so here are my two best time saving recipes:

Summer Coleslaw

Thinly sliced and roughly chopped white cabbage
Grated carrot
Thinly sliced onion .. then chopped
Helmans Mayonnaise (not salad cream)
Small tin mixed fruit in syrup (one without the cherries)

Put 4 or 5 heaped tablespoons Mayonnaise into a bowl; add the syrup from the mixed fruit and stir to blend; add the mixed fruit; add the chopped cabbage; sliced onion; grated carrot .. stir ... yummy.

Dead Easy BBQ Sauce

Tomato Sauce
Brown Sauce
Coca Cola
1/2 Teaspoon of Colmans English Mustard (optional)

Put a good amount of Tomato Sauce into a saucepan .. add almost as much Brown Sauce. Put in twice as much Coca Cola .. bring to a rolling boil .. keep on rolling boil to reduce for about twenty minutes. If it goes too thick add more coke if it goes to runny add more tomato sauce.

The sauce can be made in large quantities and kept for future bbq's .. also can be used to marinade pork chops, belly pork etc.

Try frying a few onions and adding to the sauce .. absolutely delicious.

Happy bbqing :tongue:

canarybird
12-08-2013, 23:14

This isn't the recipe but a recommendation if you're in the north around Puerto de la Cruz and you like GARLIC PRAWNS, here called GAMBAS AL AJILLO,
I can vouch for the ones served at Tito's Bodeguita (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Garden-Party/Titos-Luncheon/18600955_f55f89) in the San Nicolas area.

They serve a good quantity of large, sizzling hot prawns for €8.50 and so far I haven't found any others with better quality or value than these.

Went back there again today with a girlfriend as she wanted to have them again after her last visit. Tito's is open every day all day until 11 pm except Sundays.

I like to recommend a place like this which has consistently great food and friendly super service by the wait staff.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Garden-Party/Titos-Luncheon/i-2TsWBVw/0/L/P1190789%20x-L.jpg

Canarybird

junglejim
13-08-2013, 11:35
Thanks ,Canarybird - you´ve just put me in the mood and a menu idea for tonight - I´m off to Mercadona for some nice prawns !
Around €8 a kilo !

canarybird
13-08-2013, 12:01
Good eating Jim!

One of the reasons I like to go to this restaurant for prawns, when I'm not in the mood to do them myself, is that you get 12 large prawns in your dish for €8.50, and I haven't seen so many or so large in other places where I've ordered them. Yes I count the number of prawns in my dish and take note,:cheeky:

obs
13-08-2013, 22:55
Hi canarybird, we visit Puerto quite often for a few days break, where is this restaurant precisely. We usually stay at Luabay - the old Florida hotel, which is near the bus station - Av. Blas Perez Gonzales.

canarybird
13-08-2013, 23:38
Obs ... Tito's Bodeguita is in the San Nicolas area, not far from the big shopping center where Al Campo is located and also close to Lidle. It has a beautiful garden setting and is part of an old hermitage. You can go to their website and see a map of how to get there or take a taxi the first time. You will enjoy your visit and the food. It's where I take visitors when I want them to have a great dining experience in a tropical garden. Open right through the day and closed Sundays.

kingbaker
18-02-2015, 09:26
Ecky Thump say hello

Leam_Lin
24-08-2015, 17:29
I think this is a good idea.Through this i can also share my favourite food.

What is your favourite food?

Malteser Monkey
24-08-2015, 17:35
What is your favourite food?

Tinned meat :cheeky:

Leam_Lin
24-08-2015, 17:36
Tinned meat :cheeky:

Spam!!!!!!!!!

Malteser Monkey
25-08-2015, 10:57
Spam!!!!!!!!!

Ohhh looks like he's a gonner !:c2:

kingbaker
25-08-2015, 12:37
Wott or who gone'd him?
was lookin for me gun!!:p

Malteser Monkey
25-08-2015, 14:07
Wott or who gone'd him?
was lookin for me gun!!:p

You wuss - Us Women folk saw him off with our bare hands !

kingbaker
25-08-2015, 14:21
Thats just terrible....he was such a lovely guy:D

marbro8
14-10-2015, 23:35
Got to give a mention to the Surrey arms tonight. We had a few drinks in Manhattan tonight before planing to go to diamonds bar. Which by the way is no more. Due to a family bereavement, I would just like to say that I am so sorry for the family that ran the bar. It really was a lovely place. And got a good rating on tripadvisor. Anyway we had a fantastic meal with fantastic service. Which was a bonus because it absolutely poured it down tonight. And as we had made our way to diamonds bar. Not know knowing it was an Indian restaurant. There was nowhere else to eat down there. So it was a disaster that ended in success. So thank you :wink:

LindaD
15-10-2015, 20:22
Got to give a mention to the Surrey arms tonight. We had a few drinks in Manhattan tonight before planing to go to diamonds bar. Which by the way is no more. Due to a family bereavement, I would just like to say that I am so sorry for the family that ran the bar. It really was a lovely place. And got a good rating on tripadvisor. Anyway we had a fantastic meal with fantastic service. Which was a bonus because it absolutely poured it down tonight. And as we had made our way to diamonds bar. Not know knowing it was an Indian restaurant. There was nowhere else to eat down there. So it was a disaster that ended in success. So thank you :wink:

So where's the Surrey Arms marbro8 :dontknow:

kingbaker
15-10-2015, 21:42
I think he might have eaten it:D:D:D

marbro8
16-10-2015, 00:02
So where's the Surrey Arms marbro8 :dontknow:Opposite Iceland just down by the arena gran:wink2:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Well what a night. We went to friends bar in las Americas and it rained like I have never seen before.people where rushing inside from the outside tables trying to get a table out of the rain:lol It was manic. When it eventually stopped we tried to brave the walk home along the front. But the drains must have been backed up and we were wading through human excrement. And I had toilet paper hanging off my leather Lacoste flip flops:lol: I have just had to have a shower to get rid of the smell:lol:. Anyway the food in friends was superb but the service was a little lacking tonight

LindaD
16-10-2015, 00:23
Opposite Iceland just down by the arena gran:wink2:

I'll Check that out later this year marbro8. .I believe the Olive Garden is closed for part of December, the owner was telling us when we were there in May, so will have to look around!!!!

lar
24-10-2015, 11:21
Went to kiki ricki's last nice, food was wonderful. For a change a had cod loin instead of chicken and it was mega tasty. My daughter tried the lemon meringue pie, really tart and home made, couldn't fault it, staff as usual fun and cheerful, great place.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Also went to the chicken place Adeje Chicken or Pollo a Rincon down in Cristianos on the front night before last. The chicken was mega garlicky but gorgeous, you get a standard menu of chicken pieces chips salad bread and its very reasonably priced. Not a lot of choice, but its cheap and tasty, you gotta like garlic though.

Gavin
14-11-2015, 12:04
its so unfair. does anyone else find that when they know that they can't eat loads of whatever they feel like eating at that moment because they know they're going to get fat, they want it MORE and they CRAVE FOOOD???

thats how i am at the moment. because im not doing much excercise and im in the house most of the time, i just want to EAT! and i know that if i give in to eating what i want, ill get so fat, due to just watching tv all day. and i could literally just go to mcdonalds and buy all the food in there 10 times over and eat it all. does anyone have any good tips for beating cravings??

LUCKY
14-11-2015, 12:07
its so unfair. does anyone else find that when they know that they can't eat loads of whatever they feel like eating at that moment because they know they're going to get fat, they want it MORE and they CRAVE FOOOD???

thats how i am at the moment. because im not doing much excercise and im in the house most of the time, i just want to EAT! and i know that if i give in to eating what i want, ill get so fat, due to just watching tv all day. and i could literally just go to mcdonalds and buy all the food in there 10 times over and eat it all. does anyone have any good tips for beating cravings??

Gastric band ...............:rocking::band::flatcap::feret::fer et::feret::feret:

Gavin
14-11-2015, 15:11
Gastric band ...............:rocking::band::flatcap::feret::fer et::feret::feret:
Talking of Gastric Band I had been living with constipation problems until I found this supplement http://www.supplemented.co.uk/products/aloe-vera-extract-6000mg-tablets. I cannot help my appetite now...too bad I am scared of growing fat:pizza::pizza::pizza:

Angusjim
14-11-2015, 20:23
Talking of Gastric Band I had been living with constipation problems until I found this supplement http://www.supplemented.co.uk/products/aloe-vera-extract-6000mg-tablets. I cannot help my appetite now...too bad I am scared of growing fat:pizza::pizza::pizza:

And so it begins

Leam_Lin
14-11-2015, 21:13
We had to wait for thirteen posts! LOL

Gavin
14-11-2015, 21:28
We had to wait for thirteen posts! LOL
???what do you mean???

Leam_Lin
14-11-2015, 22:07
time will tell.

Marvin Moore
21-12-2016, 11:34
Thanks for sharing the Pastry recipe. It's my favourite one.

Steve56
14-07-2018, 20:09
How did they turn out?