PDA

View Full Version : The quality of entertainment in Tenerife is not what it should be

tenerifebird
05-11-2012, 15:24
Entertainment Tenerife or Uk

I have lived in Tenerife now for quite a few years as a singer on the island. I now find myself questioning my future in Tenerife. I have worked in Hotels, Bars and restaurants and although I have enough work I can´t help but feel very negative towards my industry on the island.

I hear of compere jobs going for 40 euros a night!! 40 euros in my opinion is terrible money for a compere job, I also hear of top quality acts going out for the same money and I am not sure who is to blame.

When I moved over here, people were payed proper money for their trade, I still have the same outgoings as I had those years ago and the cost of living has risen which makes my income, in effect, lower than it was. But, if we, the entertainers, aren't prepared to drop our prices we risk losing our work.

Like I say I have enough work at half decent money, but the state of the entertainment industry here is in my opinion CRAP!! No one wants to tell you that you are good, as they are worried you will want more money and as for the so called entertainment agents on the island........the only people benefiting are the agents themselves!

I could go on but i have probably already opened myself up to a barrage of abuse, but I think you get my drift!!!

There is some great talent on this island, however there is also a lot of karaoke singers going out cheap and taking work off the professionals. I wonder if there would be so many if good backing tracks were still 20 pound a throw.....I somehow doubt it!!

SVFUN
05-11-2012, 18:05
I would have thought if you are an established act in Tenerife and good you should have it made surely all the bar owners arnt daft and if they think someone packs um out they will pay a good rate and also if not so good and they empty the place they will pay um 40 euros .I visit PDLA twice a year and always go to see Roxy cos hes good and i always go to see freddie starr at jersey cow cos hes crap but i like entertainment and if its full the owner should pay accordingly .
Im over in Dec whats your act called and where you at ill come and watch ....youre not freddie starr are you :scared::scared:

warbey
05-11-2012, 21:43
I can go back to the Mid 90's when Bars would be full an Hour before the Act came on.

There would (Hopefully) be a decent Compere who could warm the Crowd up.

As a Punter, the Last few Years have been awful. Same quality Acts, but People going into Bars 15 minutes or less before the Act is due on.

These same People of course, want the Best Seats, and put Themselves about to achieve this purpose.

Result.

Crowd restless, Bar takings down, and atmosphere poor when You come on.

Ten Minutes after Act has finished, Bar is back to only a few. Regulars

We used to love the Drop Inn, always a good Night there, any night.

Doing Lunches now, very little at Night, and as You will know, there are many similar.

I have thought for a Long time that there is genuine need for a Theatre , with decent Seating and size

to generate what's been lost over the Years. It wont, unfortunately, happen in My Lifetime.

Grin and bear it, I say. The Pubs and Clubs in the U.K. are no better off, sadly..

slodgedad
05-11-2012, 21:53
The island has changed, as has everywhere.

Entertainment fees have hit rock bottom which has forced a lot of the 'good acts' away.

If peeps don't spend then the bar can't pay.

The amount of times I have heard people say that 'down the road this drink is a euro cheaper, so I only come in for the show'

That attitude and the proliferation of 'all inclusives' will send the quality spirally downwards even more.

Fivepence
05-11-2012, 22:00
The island has changed, as has everywhere.

Entertainment fees have hit rock bottom which has forced a lot of the 'good acts' away.

If peeps don't spend then the bar can't pay.

The amount of times I have heard people say that 'down the road this drink is a euro cheaper, so I only come in for the show'

That attitude and the proliferation of 'all inclusives' will send the quality spirally downwards even more.

I agree, 'all inclusives' turn the thriving night life of resorts into ghost towns.

SVFUN
05-11-2012, 23:00
I hear what you are saying with the AI arguement .But im going AI for first time this christmas basically because its cheaper than HB .That wont stop me going out most nights .If there are good acts to see people will go to see them..It will be mainly familys with young kids who will stay in the hotel..Also agree about sticking it out because the clubs have died a death over here .Shocking really but thats down to people drinking cheap supermarket alcohol in there homes .I know a few acts over here and they are all on lower rates .Times are changing and pubs are dying ..Least you still have some tourists who want to go out and have a bevvy ..

slodgedad
05-11-2012, 23:05
The problem is that bars that attract customers from AI hotels only keep them while the show is on.

Fill a bar with 'half pint drinkers' doesn't cover costs.

SuzyQ
06-11-2012, 02:10
An interesting thread. I must know you tenerifebird, feel free to pm me.........
Sure, its not what it was. I am well off the circuit now, its just too cut throat, I have diversified into restaurant singing, its a longer spot, 2 hours as opposed to 45 minutes, but pays more than one cabaret spot but less than two. Hubby is in a resident duo working 6 nights a week. So we are ok. But not earning what we were 12 years ago. The difference is, its still a good living, but it used to be a good living AND you could save money on top. No more. Forget about saving. But who is saving these days? I agree some artists, out of desperation in some cases, have ground down the average paid per gig, the bars are now used to paying less, and it may never be what it was, but its still ok, from my point of view anyway.
The glory days have gone, but there are still punters, you just need to figure WHERE they are and HOW to cater to them ;)

chris
06-11-2012, 08:54
The entertainers in the UK don't do bad, a couple of months ago I paid a Meatloaf tribute act £800 pound for a hour and half slot at the Golf Club plus £500 for Robbie tribute and I can't get a act under £200? One of my m8's was having a party the other Sunday lunch and asked me to get a entertainer for just 1 hour so I phoned my agent up who said none of the entertainers he has on his books would not turn out for under £200 so I ended up doing a disco myself at no charge (except for the odd pint)

Medman
06-11-2012, 10:01
The entertainers in the UK don't do bad, a couple of months ago I paid a Meatloaf tribute act £800 pound for a hour and half slot at the Golf Club plus £500 for Robbie tribute and I can't get a act under £200? One of my m8's was having a party the other Sunday lunch and asked me to get a entertainer for just 1 hour so I phoned my agent up who said none of the entertainers he has on his books would not turn out for under £200 so I ended up doing a disco myself at no charge (except for the odd pint)

The good speciality acts and tribute acts seem to do better than most over here. A lot of that is down to good marketing to ensure that tickets are sold in advance. Making it a special night brings out the punters. Maybe throw in a small supper or something as well.

Normal club nights are struggling and can only afford to pay solo or duo acts. A few years back, clubs would have acts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Now only a few have entertainment on a Saturday.

Cheap supermarket drink and the smoking ban has definitely played it's part in the demise of entertainment in clubs and pubs, but there is still a market out there for good quality acts to sell out these venues.

The ready availability of backing tracks has meant that in some occassions, four piece live bands are forming two separate duos using discs. This is done with the intention of maintaining a decent wage but unfortunately it means that there are now so many duos etc that they have to drop their prices to get regular work. Bit of a vicious circle really.

I know in my area bands are mostly all playing for less than they did 2 years ago, that includes wedding bands. "Even the liars are quiet" :D

But as I said earlier, there are good old fashioned cabaret acts still selling out the clubs, while the middle of the road (and worse) are struggling.

Keep it great and keep busy !

Blondeshrimp
06-11-2012, 10:24
Anyone remember Gary, can't remember his last name, used to sing 'Billy don't be a hero' with Looney Tunes when they were in the Brewers Droop? Think he also sang at the Drop Inn.
I went in my local the other week and there was a Paper Lace Tribute on, and yes, it was him!

BoPeep
06-11-2012, 10:49
With prices on drinks and meals going down I guess the restaurants and bars are making less profit so they cant pay high rates, no point in giving all your profits to the entertainer!

SVFUN
06-11-2012, 11:22
Anyone remember Gary, can't remember his last name, used to sing 'Billy don't be a hero' with Looney Tunes when they were in the Brewers Droop? Think he also sang at the Drop Inn.
I went in my local the other week and there was a Paper Lace Tribute on, and yes, it was him!

Paper lace tribute [ jesus ] is there one .We are good mates with Carlo paul santana my sisters known him donkeys even when he fronted Paper lace .Bet he doesnt know theres a tribute act :laugh:...Carlos one of them who could earn a grand a night in the good times .Its a third of that now and he can still knock a tune out ...If i was him id be over in Tenerife hed go down a a storm with old uns

davship
06-11-2012, 11:55
I agree, 'all inclusives' turn the thriving night life of resorts into ghost towns.

Spot on shilling that sums it up.

SVFUN
06-11-2012, 11:57
I think not because theres some right **** on in some of the hotels so you have to get out

davship
06-11-2012, 12:02

I have lived in Tenerife now for quite a few years as a singer on the island. I now find myself questioning my future in Tenerife. I have worked in Hotels, Bars and restaurants and although I have enough work I can´t help but feel very negative towards my industry on the island.

I hear of compere jobs going for 40 euros a night!! 40 euros in my opinion is terrible money for a compere job, I also hear of top quality acts going out for the same money and I am not sure who is to blame.

When I moved over here, people were payed proper money for their trade, I still have the same outgoings as I had those years ago and the cost of living has risen which makes my income, in effect, lower than it was. But, if we, the entertainers, aren't prepared to drop our prices we risk losing our work.

Like I say I have enough work at half decent money, but the state of the entertainment industry here is in my opinion CRAP!! No one wants to tell you that you are good, as they are worried you will want more money and as for the so called entertainment agents on the island........the only people benefiting are the agents themselves!

I could go on but i have probably already opened myself up to a barrage of abuse, but I think you get my drift!!!

There is some great talent on this island, however there is also a lot of karaoke singers going out cheap and taking work off the professionals. I wonder if there would be so many if good backing tracks were still 20 pound a throw.....I somehow doubt it!!

Dont see why you should get abuse, your only trying to earn a living! I have a little experience of doing the same thing back in the uk and the only way i can see possibly a way out is if anywhere offers to sign someone up on a contract for say 12 months as a residency and garentee you a wage even if the business isnt good. But then again there is nothing worse than performing to an empty house! Best of luck anyway and hope everything works out.

Medman
06-11-2012, 12:21
Spot on shilling that sums it up.

We were in Harleys in July, and sat right up front in pole position was a "wrist banded" couple who sat the whole time while the band was on (Crush) with a half pint of lager between them !! The guy had obviously tanked up on AI booze before he came out, dancing all over the place like an eejit. As soon as the band finished,they were off. Nowt wrong with enjoying yourself, but I must admit it did annoy me. :(

Fivepence
06-11-2012, 12:29
We were in Harleys in July, and sat right up front in pole position was a "wrist banded" couple who sat the whole time while the band was on (Crush) with a half pint of lager between them !! The guy had obviously tanked up on AI booze before he came out, dancing all over the place like an eejit. As soon as the band finished,they were off. Nowt wrong with enjoying yourself, but I must admit it did annoy me. :(

That's a double whammy Medman, those people were also depriving the bar of the opportunity for other people who may spend, to use those seats. Bars can't survive without real customers.

PS Crush are great, I've seen them a few times.

Medman
06-11-2012, 12:37
That's a double whammy Medman, those people were also depriving the bar of the opportunity for other people who may spend, to use those seats. Bars can't survive without real customers.

PS Crush are great, I've seen them a few times.

Exactly, but what can the owners do ? Maybe they should reserve some cheap seats up the back for them :D "The Leper Zone"

Our first night is usually a Sunday, landing about 6.50pm and in Harleys by 8pm drinking 2 for 1 bottles of Miller with our meal waiting for Crush to start. Doesn't get much better. :yum:

The keyboard player is a forum member (irishmusico)

SVFUN
06-11-2012, 13:56
Exactly, but what can the owners do ? Maybe they should reserve some cheap seats up the back for them :D "The Leper Zone"

Our first night is usually a Sunday, landing about 6.50pm and in Harleys by 8pm drinking 2 for 1 bottles of Miller with our meal waiting for Crush to start. Doesn't get much better. :yum:

The keyboard player is a forum member (irishmusico)

AI Doesnt automatically mean youre a tight @@@@ sometimes its cheaper than self catering what numpty would not go AI .Oh ye them whos drinking PDLA dry and keeping the resort alive :whistle:..its all down to how cheap the holiday is dunt matter what board basis it is .Ill be drinking more out than in cos its what i do .Wont be in leper zone thou ill be spending 20 euros like everyone else :crylaughing:

Tom & Sharon
06-11-2012, 14:00

Disagree

S***E acts turn the thriving night life of resorts into ghost towns, I seem to remember a recent post about a certain Krazy female entertainer being the best in Tenerife according to some!!! :wow:

You wouldn't believe how quickly she can clear a bar............

If that's the expected standard then God help us all............

Tom

Medman
06-11-2012, 15:07
Disagree

S***E acts turn the thriving night life of resorts into ghost towns, I seem to remember a recent post about a certain Krazy female entertainer being the best in Tenerife according to some!!! :wow:

You wouldn't believe how quickly she can clear a bar............

If that's the expected standard then God help us all............

Tom

Thanks for getting back on topic Tom or Sharon. we got a bit diverted down the AI route. Of course there's more than one reason for bars not being as busy, and if it was only one thing, thne it would be easier sorted. I do agree some of the acts want to up their game a bit, which is becoming more obvious here and abroad.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

AI Doesnt automatically mean youre a tight @@@@ sometimes its cheaper than self catering what numpty would not go AI .Oh ye them whos drinking PDLA dry and keeping the resort alive :whistle:..its all down to how cheap the holiday is dunt matter what board basis it is .Ill be drinking more out than in cos its what i do .Wont be in leper zone thou ill be spending 20 euros like everyone else :crylaughing:

Of course it doesn't and I see what you mean and it makes sense to go AI if it is less than SC, and if you still go out and night and spend your 20 euros... happy days.... :D

stuartc
06-11-2012, 16:40
Can I just throw a bit into this thread, I have been going to Tenerife for at least ten years and the last time I went to see a live act was when Spencer played in the La Pergola restaurant in Peurto Colon. We stay at La Pinta and from the balcony we can hear a lot of the acts in the bars, years ago it was always Elvis impersonators they have made way for poor karaoke singers and very loud DJs or what ever they want to call themselves. The live acts that we can hear play the same music every night, so may be there is a lack of variation in the acts. As for live music in restaurants, I think that sometimes the owners think that music will bring in the punters but if the food is poor it does not matter how good the act is.

If that makes any sense ( sorry about the rant)

Stuart

marbro8
06-11-2012, 21:14
Paper lace tribute [ jesus ] is there one .We are good mates with Carlo paul santana my sisters known him donkeys even when he fronted Paper lace .Bet he doesnt know theres a tribute act :laugh:...Carlos one of them who could earn a grand a night in the good times .Its a third of that now and he can still knock a tune out ...If i was him id be over in Tenerife hed go down a a storm with old unsi have met carlo a few times now, my mate always books him for his private shows at bescot in walsall and he charges about £1000, his rendition of nisan dorma is brill:spin:

SVFUN
07-11-2012, 00:19
i have met carlo a few times now, my mate always books him for his private shows at bescot in walsall and he charges about £1000, his rendition of nisan dorma is brill:spin:

Ye he would charge that for a private gig .WMC pay nothing thou ..Your right about nisan dorma cracking ..More than i can say bowt his shirts :crylaughing:..Sorry Carlo see you at Brinsworth on saturday :wink2:

warbey
07-11-2012, 21:17

I do hope the O.P. is following this still. I would be interested if She agrees with the Majority of the Comments.?

We have nothing to do with Karioke at all. It takes the Head off My Beer......lol

and the "Singers" always have a certain look on Their faces, Arent I good..?

The Temptation to tell them the HONEST Truth is sometimes overwhelming, but., occasionally the Booked Act

can be not that good either..

jack oakley
08-11-2012, 18:20
Can I just throw a bit into this thread, I have been going to Tenerife for at least ten years and the last time I went to see a live act was when Spencer played in the La Pergola restaurant in Peurto Colon. We stay at La Pinta and from the balcony we can hear a lot of the acts in the bars, years ago it was always Elvis impersonators they have made way for poor karaoke singers and very loud DJs or what ever they want to call themselves. The live acts that we can hear play the same music every night, so may be there is a lack of variation in the acts. As for live music in restaurants, I think that sometimes the owners think that music will bring in the punters but if the food is poor it does not matter how good the act is.

If that makes any sense ( sorry about the rant)

Stuart
Live music in a restaurant can also work well if it is presented as 'atmospheric', it is not quite the same as a 'cabaret floorshow', the fundimental difference between the two is that the music is prevalant whilst you dine stimulating but not drowning out conversation yet enhances the ambience. As Suzie said in a previous post the entertainer works longer (maybe 2 or 3 hours) but in a much more 'layed back' way so it is not quite as vocaly straining as a 45 minute cabaret set. This form of entertainment is becoming very popular in restaurant's in the U.K. and is an alternative platform for singers whose work is dwindeling in the clubs.
If you want to sample this type of evening in a restaurant where the food is absulutely divine in a spectacular setting accompanied by a high class singer/musician then go to PLACERES restaurant in Los Abrigos next wednesday 14th but you will have to book as the restaurant is not very large (16 seats on the terrace and 30 inside)
www.redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/placeres-the-pleasure-of-dining-los-abrigos/ A great combination and a fine example of how this style of restaurant entertainment could be presented.

seanocelt
08-11-2012, 20:25
Nowt like a bit of self promotion Jack/Joel! ( KG-.......cat/pigeons?)

jack oakley
08-11-2012, 20:39
Hock ay the noo Sean

macdonald5
08-11-2012, 21:09
Definately agree quality entertainment not what it should be, we have sat in bars and listened to acts that we would NEVER have given a second look back home
On holiday ,relaxed, we put up with second rate music as it's better than nothing !! Sorry this comment might offend some but is fact
We have holidayed in Tenerife many,many years and now find it difficult to get some decent music entertainment most evenings (Las Americas area)
Many acts have not changed in many years Ok if you new holidaymaker but NOT for the regular holidaymaker

jack oakley
08-11-2012, 21:33
Definately agree quality entertainment not what it should be, we have sat in bars and listened to acts that we would NEVER have given a second look back home
On holiday ,relaxed, we put up with second rate music as it's better than nothing !! Sorry this comment might offend some but is fact
We have holidayed in Tenerife many,many years and now find it difficult to get some decent music entertainment most evenings (Las Americas area)
Many acts have not changed in many years Ok if you new holidaymaker but NOT for the regular holidaymaker

I can understand why you hold that opinion but short sighted amateur bar owners not the entertainers are responsible for why you think as you do. There is a well used cliche (pay peanuts and you get monkeys)...there are many fine proffessional entertainers in Tenerife and if you look in the right places you will find them but there are also a great many Karaoke Joe's who will perform for next to nothing, the bar owners that allow them on their stages deserve all they get ...empty bars.

Harmonicaman
08-11-2012, 21:37
So where should we go to see the professional musicians then Jack? (Bearing in mind I already know about Placeres):D

jack oakley
08-11-2012, 21:52
So where should we go to see the professional musicians then Jack? (Bearing in mind I already know about Placeres):D

Volare's, Ryans Bar, The Premier Bar, Both Squares on Golf Del Sur.....I'm sure there's many more , do you know any good places Harmonicaman?.

Harmonicaman
08-11-2012, 22:01
Volare's, Ryans Bar, The Premier Bar, Both Squares on Golf Del Sur.....I'm sure there's many more , do you know any good places Harmonicaman?.

I'm a mug for the Irish bars Joel, I like the craic and I feel "at home" and comfortable in them.:tiphat:

Fivepence
08-11-2012, 22:04
I'm a mug for the Irish bars Joel, I like the craic and I feel "at home" and comfortable in them.:tiphat:

I agree HM and I don't mind the cost of the drinks if I'm having a good time.

jack oakley
08-11-2012, 22:11

I have had some great nights in Dublin, Cork, and Galway so i know what you mean...

SVFUN
08-11-2012, 22:25
I can understand why you hold that opinion but short sighted amateur bar owners not the entertainers are responsible for why you think as you do. There is a well used cliche (pay peanuts and you get monkeys)...there are many fine proffessional entertainers in Tenerife and if you look in the right places you will find them but there are also a great many Karaoke Joe's who will perform for next to nothing, the bar owners that allow them on their stages deserve all they get ...empty bars.

My veiw entirely from my other post

slodgedad
09-11-2012, 02:51

That's exactly the point that a lot of bar owners miss.

jack oakley
09-11-2012, 10:46
That's exactly the point that a lot of bar owners miss.

I have read post's in this thread from an entertainer's point of view and a 'punter's' point of view and what is obvious is that many 'punter's' EXPECT and WANT entertainment be it in a bar, pub or a restaurant. Some claim that the quality of entertainment is poor and in some cases they would be right but they must surely know that good entertainment acts have to earn a living and as such have to charge a reasonable amount of money for their services. Establishments also have to make a proffit and some inflate the cost of their drinks to compensate, this appears to some as being an 'underhanded' and cynicle way of re-couping the expence. It would take a brave establishment owner to be honest and display on their menu or drinks list or entertainment board something like...Our establishment takes pride in presenting high quality proffessional entertainers, we pay proffessional prices and rather than inflate our drink or food price we find it fairer to add a one (or maybe two) euro charge to the price of your first drink...if you are dis-satisfied with the artist we will refund that charge I believe the majority of entertainment loving 'punters' would accept that (there are always pratts) but it would get shut of many of the 'Karaoke Joe's' who are cocking the business up. Just a thought..

malagabob
09-11-2012, 11:59

I know the cost of living in Eire is high and I assume the price of drinks are as well. But why transfer that to a holiday isle. Even if the bars have entertainment thats no excuse for inflating the price of drinks. See my earlier post.
Thats why you get people coming late, arriving just before the entertainment starts. Occupying seats and nursing one drink all night.

seanocelt
09-11-2012, 12:30
Whilst you are corrrect MalagaBob, i still find it incredulous that some bars here, with entertainment, still have drinks at giveaway prices because "next door do". The winner is the punter in the short term, but eventually entertainment standards drop along with pay rates, or the bar folds(very very often over here.)

Fivepence
09-11-2012, 17:06
I know the cost of living in Eire is high and I assume the price of drinks are as well. But why transfer that to a holiday isle. Even if the bars have entertainment thats no excuse for inflating the price of drinks. See my earlier post.
Thats why you get people coming late, arriving just before the entertainment starts. Occupying seats and nursing one drink all night.

I live in Lancashire, England Malagabob but I do visit Ireland often.
In the pubs I usually visit in County Tipperary, the cost of a pint of Guinness is €3.90.
This is about £3.25, which is what I pay at home.

Kev Darby
09-11-2012, 20:11
Im coming over to Tenerife in January with my family i was just wondering if anyone knows if the terrace bar in costa adeje playa pinta is still open ? any help will be usefull :)

stuartc
09-11-2012, 20:52
It was open the week before last when we were there!!1

warbey
09-11-2012, 21:07
There are very few Bars I know of, that can seat more than 50 People at best.

You also need good Staff keeping an Eye on Punters with a half inch at the bottom of the Glass.

Get those two right, and perhaps there is a little room to Manoevre.

If the Show starts at 10, charge Admission after 9. Then listen to the squeals.

Doesnt matter how good the Act, if the Money isnt there to start off with.. It isnt.

seanocelt
09-11-2012, 21:16
Im coming over to Tenerife in January with my family i was just wondering if anyone knows if the terrace bar in costa adeje playa pinta is still open ? any help will be usefull :)

Its open, ran by a Russian owner now. Thats all i know.

marbro8
09-11-2012, 21:54
in the last 6 years of coming over here is the list in order of the best entertainment we have seen
1 lizard kings
2 soundchaser
3 vagabonds
4 crush
5 bitter and twisted
6 billy idol
7 sister act
8 jax
i don't know how many of these are still going but i would pay 3 euros a pint in any place that had them performing because they are all class acts

Medman
09-11-2012, 21:58
in the last 6 years of coming over here is the list in order of the best entertainment we have seen
1 lizard kings
2 soundchaser
3 vagabonds
4 crush
5 bitter and twisted
6 billy idol
7 sister act
8 jax
i don't know how many of these are still going but i would pay 3 euros a pint in any place that had them performing because they are all class acts

Yes and 3 euros admission too for the four that I've seen (2,3,4 & 6)

warbey
09-11-2012, 22:04
Trouble is, is how many more have paid 3 euros as well.
Overheads before Paying the Acts mean in My Opinion, the Owner would just about break even. That's the trouble Mate.

Harmonicaman
09-11-2012, 22:06
There are very few Bars I know of, that can seat more than 50 People at best.

You also need good Staff keeping an Eye on Punters with a half inch at the bottom of the Glass.

Get those two right, and perhaps there is a little room to Manoevre.

If the Show starts at 10, charge Admission after 9. Then listen to the squeals.

Doesnt matter how good the Act, if the Money isnt there to start off with.. It isnt.

In the heyday of The Irish Times, the staff were over at your table as soon as your pint was down to an inch or two and they had a knack of emptying the ashtrays without causing any dust. They had their little pouches round their waists with change in for the drinks. Great days...

Medman
09-11-2012, 22:15
In the heyday of The Irish Times, the staff were over at your table as soon as your pint was down to an inch or two and they had a knack of emptying the ashtrays without causing any dust. They had their little pouches round their waists with change in for the drinks. Great days...

The old Brewers Droop used to be like that too. The waitresses had headsets so the drinks were ready by the time they got back to the bar. Always asked if you wanted another drink. Always clearing tables. It's not rocket science. It was hard to say no !! That's when The Loony Tunes played there.

Harmonicaman
09-11-2012, 22:22
The old Brewers Droop used to be like that too. The waitresses had headsets so the drinks were ready by the time they got back to the bar. Always asked if you wanted another drink. Always clearing tables. It's not rocket science. It was hard to say no !! That's when The Loony Tunes played there.

Yep, if you weren't in before 9 o'clock, you weren't getting a seat. And the band didn't start 'til 10!

EDGEY72
09-11-2012, 22:34
Having been to Tenerife quite a number of times and on all board options i still make a point of not staying in my hotel/apartments at night no matter if i am AI or SC, i don't understand why people go on holiday and don't see further than the hotel or possibly as far as the beach. I have been in many bars not only in L.A and Los Cris but also stay in Silencio and i see that the whole Island seems quiter the same as many pubs over in the Uk. I agree there are some great entertainers on the island and also some awful ones, but i have been in a couple of the Irish Bars (without mentioning names) and yes you can pay higher for drinks than a couple of doors away but they are always busy and have plenty of staff with good entertainment all this needs paying for so if you are enjoying yourself most don't mind paying the extra. I no longer drink on health grounds but i will gladly pay for my wife and kids as long as we are having a good time.

slodgedad
10-11-2012, 02:11
I realized, as an entertainer, the difference a quality cabaret act made tothe bar when the carrot was dangled.

I had a cabaret allowance and had to pay the difference from my own pocket bur was allowed to run a raffle.

I soon found that if I paid the 30 or 40 quid difference myself I was on an earner.

If I used the allowance to pay for a mediocre act then I made nothing.

tenerifebird
10-11-2012, 02:59
Wow so many replies and opinions....... I think there will always be venues that do pay fair money, however some venues are just happy to have anyone on stage whether they are good or bad , and there are now people that will do it for next to nothing, Pay peanuts get monkeys springs to mind!!!!

seanocelt
10-11-2012, 04:03
1 lizard kings
2 soundchaser
3 vagabonds
4 crush
5 bitter and twisted
6 billy idol
7 sister act
8 jax

Quite a rock oriented taste.In winter here that would only satisfy 20% of our punters,i have to play Rock, Country, Pop, Keltic AND cheesy crap, its hard to please you all!!

Medman
10-11-2012, 10:46
Quite a rock oriented taste.In winter here that would only satisfy 20% of our punters,i have to play Rock, Country, Pop, Keltic AND cheesy crap, its hard to please you all!!

Bitter & Twisted, Sister Act . Rock ?? ??
Maybe if they joined forces and became Bitter and "Twisted Sister" Act

SVFUN
10-11-2012, 11:21
1 lizard kings
2 soundchaser
3 vagabonds
4 crush
5 bitter and twisted
6 billy idol
7 sister act
8 jax

From top to bottom whats the material these acts do ...apart from Billy idol ..know what he does ........If its my thing ill go and see them all in Dec and will give you my opinion

seanocelt
10-11-2012, 12:04
Bitter & Twisted, Sister Act . Rock ?? ??
Maybe if they joined forces and became Bitter and "Twisted Sister" Act

I said "quite", 6 out of the 8.

Medman
10-11-2012, 12:13

Just having a laugh, sorry forgot to add smiley ! ,,,,,,,,,,, :D

But I still like the name "Bitter & Twisted Sister Act" :raspberry2:

marbro8
10-11-2012, 12:52
From top to bottom whats the material these acts do ...apart from Billy idol ..know what he does ........If its my thing ill go and see them all in Dec and will give you my opinion the lizard kings split up and went their seperate ways a few years ago, soundchaser are a rock band with a difference, if i remember right they can all play each others instruments, the first set they do is quite easy listening soft rock but when they came out to do the second act they where a bit more heavy, vagabond play easy listening soft rock i remember they did a few dire straights numbers, again crush play easy listening soft rock and will do requests, they play a bit of everything realy like irish music i remember them doing a good rendition of whisky in the jar,bitter & twisted are a drag act, sister act is a comedy duo singing act, and i don't think jax sings any more?

Medman
10-11-2012, 13:03

Therefore only 15% of your punters like rock.. :teacher:.. :D

What do the other 85% like ? Daniel O'Donnell ? :D

SVFUN
10-11-2012, 14:27
[QUOTE=marbro8;236596]the lizard kings split up and went their seperate ways a few years ago, soundchaser are a rock band with a difference, if i remember right they can all play each others instruments, the first set they do is quite easy listening soft rock but when they came out to do the second act they where a bit more heavy, vagabond play easy listening soft rock i remember they did a few dire straights numbers, again crush play easy listening soft rock and will do requests, they play a bit of everything realy like irish music i remember them doing a good rendition of whisky in the jar,bitter & twisted are a drag act, sister act is a comedy duo singing act, and i don't think jax sings any more?[/QUOT

Nice one sounds like some of its up our street Dont mind a bit of Journey if any of um do that

Medman
10-11-2012, 15:03
[QUOTE=marbro8;236596]the lizard kings split up and went their seperate ways a few years ago, soundchaser are a rock band with a difference, if i remember right they can all play each others instruments, the first set they do is quite easy listening soft rock but when they came out to do the second act they where a bit more heavy, vagabond play easy listening soft rock i remember they did a few dire straights numbers, again crush play easy listening soft rock and will do requests, they play a bit of everything realy like irish music i remember them doing a good rendition of whisky in the jar,bitter & twisted are a drag act, sister act is a comedy duo singing act, and i don't think jax sings any more?[/QUOT

Nice one sounds like some of its up our street Dont mind a bit of Journey if any of um do that

Yes, they will welcome you with "Open Arms" and "Faithfully" play "Don't Stop Believing" "Any Way You Want It" before going your "Separate Ways" .... :D

SVFUN
10-11-2012, 15:53
[QUOTE=SVFUN;236609]

Yes, they will welcome you with "Open Arms" and "Faithfully" play "Don't Stop Believing" "Any Way You Want It" before going your "Separate Ways" .... :D

Like it ..

Medman
10-11-2012, 15:57
[QUOTE=Medman;236621]

Like it ..

Obviously a man of good taste ... :D

seanocelt
10-11-2012, 17:07
Therefore only 15% of your punters like rock.. :teacher:.. :D

What do the other 85% like ? Daniel O'Donnell ? :D

You really dont get it do you? Its nowt to do with what i do on this thread, i was analysing someone else's comment, thats all. THEY seem to like rock. I do too.

As an entertainer what do I DO ? Well, punters can change nightly , more often weekly/fortnightly. I do 180 songs, from Irish and Scottish folk, to Kings of Leon and much in between, some female artisits too. Thats the only way i can give them variety as a one man guitar/vox resident musician at a 150 minute gig- they pick from my songs, i do them...and chat too. 85% Daniel O' Donnell music may be found in the Hole In the Wall, well maybe 20%. Given the choice i would do my gig 80% acoustic, but its not up to me. Punters as they are referred to , make their choices, we adapt or we lose work. Anyone curious have a look on Facebook page "Tenerife Entertainers Available Tonight". Have a good scroll through a few weeks and you will be able to judge who is popular. Seasons can dictate that too. I think , for the record, "live music" venues are becoming scarce, due to noise issues as well as cost, karaoke seems to be growing, cabaret "spots" are being fought over reducing rates of pay, but since most venues are cheaper than on other islands we offer fair value. But its getting harder for some to survive, as the original poster said.

Medman
10-11-2012, 18:46
You really dont get it do you? Its nowt to do with what i do on this thread, i was analysing someone else's comment, thats all. THEY seem to like rock. I do too.

As an entertainer what do I DO ? Well, punters can change nightly , more often weekly/fortnightly. I do 180 songs, from Irish and Scottish folk, to Kings of Leon and much in between, some female artisits too. Thats the only way i can give them variety as a one man guitar/vox resident musician at a 150 minute gig- they pick from my songs, i do them...and chat too. 85% Daniel O' Donnell music may be found in the Hole In the Wall, well maybe 20%. Given the choice i would do my gig 80% acoustic, but its not up to me. Punters as they are referred to , make their choices, we adapt or we lose work. Anyone curious have a look on Facebook page "Tenerife Entertainers Available Tonight". Have a good scroll through a few weeks and you will be able to judge who is popular. Seasons can dictate that too. I think , for the record, "live music" venues are becoming scarce, due to noise issues as well as cost, karaoke seems to be growing, cabaret "spots" are being fought over reducing rates of pay, but since most venues are cheaper than on other islands we offer fair value. But its getting harder for some to survive, as the original poster said.

Afraid to say that it's you who doesn't get it Sean, all my comments are tongue in cheek and in the best po----ssible taste, and absolutely nothing to do with what you do. As a fellow musician (who also plays a complete mix of music to entertain the punters) I'm a bit surprised that you didn't catch that. I have obviously mistaken you for someone else.

Keep on rockin ... :rock:

seanocelt
10-11-2012, 18:55
I said 6 out 8 "rock" artists on a lads "likes"- you ask if I DO 85% Daniel?! Yep, i dont get it. My main point above anyway, is, with the O.P. stating things were getting tough , i can see where she is coming from on the "cabaret circuit". Your good friend Brad, top guitarist/vocalist found karaoke singers were getting more work for less money too. (dunno if you still look on here Churnlobster?).

warbey
10-11-2012, 20:30
February last, We were near to the Bayview Bar in Torviscas.

The venue was Americas side about 80 Yards nearer to Americas.

It appeared to be perhaps two Bars together, with a fair few seats.

There were three young Men Playing. No Names but i seem to remember the Drummer was Irish, Lead Belgian and Bass

was normally Rhythm but filling in.

We stopped and Listened more than one Night, They were so good, Their Sound was a bit special.

If They are still there well worth listening to as Musicians too.

I have not always been just a Punter either.

seanocelt
10-11-2012, 20:55
If thats underneath Bayview , beach level, i saw huge posters there,advertising live rock but i work most nights, rarely get to check anyone else out.

Medman
11-11-2012, 12:39
I said 6 out 8 "rock" artists on a lads "likes"- you ask if I DO 85% Daniel?! Yep, i dont get it. My main point above anyway, is, with the O.P. stating things were getting tough , i can see where she is coming from on the "cabaret circuit". Your good friend Brad, top guitarist/vocalist found karaoke singers were getting more work for less money too. (dunno if you still look on here Churnlobster?).

I'm sorry Sean, but you have taken my post way out of context and far too much to heart, but I'm not going to hog this post trying to explain myself. Suffice to say it was nothing to do with you as an entertainer. Purely intended as light hearted banter.

seanocelt
11-11-2012, 13:18
I'm sorry Sean, but you have taken my post way out of context and far too much to heart, but I'm not going to hog this post trying to explain myself. Suffice to say it was nothing to do with you as an entertainer. Purely intended as light hearted banter.

Reading it all back i see where it got misinterpreted, apologies this end too.

malagabob
11-11-2012, 13:33
I notice a couple of posters are saying they dont mind paying a LITTLE bit extra for drinks for good entertainment. But when a certain Irish bar on the Parque de la Paz strip charged me 4euros more than I was paying earlier in the night, at bars with entertainment for the same drinks last year (What are they charging this year)

warbey
11-11-2012, 20:29
If thats underneath Bayview , beach level, i saw huge posters there,advertising live rock but i work most nights, rarely get to check anyone else out.

We were approaching from Americas direction, so it would be about 40 Yards from the top of the Steps down. i/e slightly higher than the Bay View.

EDGEY72
12-11-2012, 01:51
I have noticed a couple of people mention the "Hole IN The Wall" a couple of times, some not by name but obvious where they mean. I know they may charge more than most places for drinks and cheaper earlier on but don't most places these days increase their prices at night. Also noticed the place always seems packed, so like i said in earlier post, they must be doing something right.

seanocelt
12-11-2012, 02:20
We were approaching from Americas direction, so it would be about 40 Yards from the top of the Steps down. i/e slightly higher than the Bay View.

maybe not where im meaning.

malagabob
12-11-2012, 10:23

Would that not be the Moonlighters.

i love the beach
12-11-2012, 17:13
After seeing allsorts of entertainment in Tenerife over the years Joe Harriett is still the best ! Solo or with Drifters or Temptations ! Love his bar Divine too, which now opens during the day for snacks and drinks & 4 euro cocktails ! Cant beat a fresh Mojito when you come off the beach,
Oh I used to love Lou Rex is he still around ?

After seeing allsorts of entertainment in Tenerife over the years Joe Harriett is still the best ! Solo or with Drifters or Temptations ! Love his bar Divine too, which now opens during the day for snacks and drinks & 4 euro cocktails ! Cant beat a fresh Mojito when you come off the beach,
Oh I used to love Lou Rex is he still around ?

warbey
12-11-2012, 19:42
Would that not be the Moonlighters.

Sorry, all I remember is an almost trialgular shape as You walk past,( its on the right before getting to the steps down to the Bay View.)

marbro8
12-11-2012, 19:49
Would that not be the Moonlighters.it's under the moonlight bar that soundchaser play, just by mcdonalds

Medman
12-11-2012, 20:11
it's under the moonlight bar that soundchaser play, just by mcdonalds

It's called The In and Out Bar

warbey
12-11-2012, 21:18

When We first arrived in Tenerife mid nineties there was Acts and Musicians at every Bar or Restuarant.

A lot, in My estimation were worth Listening to. Many have gone, but there are still a few, still living and performing in Tenerife.

Some still do a similar Gig, but are good enough to listen to many times over.

One, We have seen more than a Hundred times, and He can always find time for a word or three.

I would say that at Present, the Entertainment standard needs a few new Artists

but considering the Rewards, its pretty good.

I believe this is because Tenerife is a good Place to live, and should be factored in..

MummyJ
12-11-2012, 23:02
in reference to who asked, pc is playing up and cant see post now

BUT

yes lou rex is still playing in many bars here :)

slodgedad
12-11-2012, 23:29
One of the reasons a lot of the better acts have left, in my opinion, is the lack of equipment.

In the good old days virtually every bar had a sound system so acts could just walk in and perform, therefore allowing them time to do another.

Now, a lot of bars and restaurants require you to bring your own and yet still pay the same.

Entertainers used to make a good living here because they were able to do 10 or more shows a week.

warbey
13-11-2012, 19:28
One of the reasons a lot of the better acts have left, in my opinion, is the lack of equipment.

In the good old days virtually every bar had a sound system so acts could just walk in and perform, therefore allowing them time to do another.

Now, a lot of bars and restaurants require you to bring your own and yet still pay the same.

Entertainers used to make a good living here because they were able to do 10 or more shows a week.

Good Point and very true, They were always in a rush for the next Gig.

I had forgotten, its a few Years back since I heard that.!

SVFUN
13-11-2012, 20:17
it's under the moonlight bar that soundchaser play, just by mcdonalds

Is it the Mcds on the left as you walk from Americas to L.C ....There was a irish bar under the building near some steps[ cant remember name ] if im not mistaken it was shut down last time we was down there .Would that be right
Just checking about Mcds if this is the area i want to be in to watch one of your top six Soundchaser:049:

marbro8
13-11-2012, 23:31
Is it the Mcds on the left as you walk from Americas to L.C ....There was a irish bar under the building near some steps[ cant remember name ] if im not mistaken it was shut down last time we was down there .Would that be right
Just checking about Mcds if this is the area i want to be in to watch one of your top six Soundchaser:049:no its actualy fanabe i think? just past porto colon or just in between? they realy are worth watching if you are into pink ffloyd black sabbath and the like

Kev Darby
16-11-2012, 18:12

Cheers for the info sean hopefully its still as laid back as it was last time i was there

Fivepence
16-11-2012, 18:34
no its actualy fanabe i think? just past porto colon or just in between? they realy are worth watching if you are into pink ffloyd black sabbath and the like

Here is a clip of Soundchaser playing 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4-1zvwX750)' April 2008.

Fantastic live band :049::guitar1::drummer::headbang:

Roadkingrider
25-11-2012, 13:29
The standard of entertainment when I was there - 2008 to 2011 - was pretty shocking. Some good musicians of course there, but generally the island bars/clubs are living in the past, putting on cheap acts and just throwing any old rubbish at the tourists. Have you ever been to San Blas, near Golf de Sur? Talk about tired old, talentless acts getting paid money for old rope (and songs). You have to admire their cheek for actually calling themselves entertainers - I went one night with some younger friends from London and they thought it was hilarously bad!

jack oakley
25-11-2012, 15:26
The standard of entertainment when I was there - 2008 to 2011 - was pretty shocking. Some good musicians of course there, but generally the island bars/clubs are living in the past, putting on cheap acts and just throwing any old rubbish at the tourists. Have you ever been to San Blas, near Golf de Sur? Talk about tired old, talentless acts getting paid money for old rope (and songs). You have to admire their cheek for actually calling themselves entertainers - I went one night with some younger friends from London and they thought it was hilarously bad!

I often wonder just what some people expect to see or hear from a live entertainer and the venue's in which they perform. If i go into a bar anywhere in the world that can hold maybe 80 or even 100 bods i would not expect to see the real Paul McCartney and Wings, Rod Stewart or Adelle standing on a small podium in the corner light up with a 40watt bulb in a coco-tin. If it is an 'entertainment bar' per-say i would expect to see a reasonably profficient artist singing or playing an instrument of some description and i believe this is what you get in Tenerife. The genre of music varies and is usualy dependent on the age group and origin of the clientelle, i don't expect to see a £75-00 a seat concert or a west end show, i go to have a drink and enjoy the atmosphere created by "live" music and would expect to pay a little more for a drink, if the entertainment is good i stay if it isn't i go. I constantly hear the well worn bleat "where are the new young up-and-coming entertainers"? the truth is they are few and far between as today's so called "chart music" is dominated by 'one-hit' talentless over produced young people who are exploited by record companies who sell an image. A true artist however young or old has to learn the craft of entertaining an audience for at least an hour and not relying on one song they may have sung in a talent show or Karaoke bar. So where does an artist learn that craft today? pretty much nowhere as there are few platforms to gain the experience needed to be profficient, which is why pub and club entertainment is donated by the "old pro's". There is some young talent about the most popular earning a living as Michael Bubbly, Lady GooGoo, Adelle, Abba, or 'Robbie' tributes but most of those artists are popular for singing old classic songs and will put 100 bums on seats if they are good. Quite where the so-called quaility entertainers that used to work in Tenerife have gone is a mystery to me as i don't know of a place anywhere in the world where they can earn a proper living unless theyve gone back to the U.K .taxi driving or stacking shelves at Tesco, punters vote with their feet, if the bar is doing right it will be busy if it isn't it will be empty or shut economic downturn taken into consideration. Tenerife is a great place to live and if one can get by doing something they love to do then good luck to them, the Karaoke Joe's will be short lived as some punters now coming to Tenerife actualy have a brain. Keep singing guys there are still good quality acts and muso's here and long may they stay.

karinagal
25-11-2012, 20:48
I've seen a couple of entertainers in San Blas that have been a bit on the dodgy side.. Some have been quite good! On my most recent visit, my sister-in-law and I were dining at Plaza Breeze and were entertained by 2 Spanish guys playing guitar and singing. They were excellent! It created a lovely atmosphere, there was nothing cheesy about it and no backing tracks.. I guess it all comes down to individual taste - some people love audience participation some cringe at the thought of it. It's damn near impossible to please all of the people all of the time!

warbey
25-11-2012, 21:02
Starting from the Mid Nineties, We found an Act that Oozed quality, Played at different Venues, and because of this

We saw Him at least six times or more, depending on the Day We arrived, on each Holiday.

Since the Downturn, the different Venues have lost Clientele and Business so He doesn't appear there anymore.

There are a few more Acts We like and the same has happened with Them too, for Example "The Patch".

Some have been in Tenerife Years, but they are still quality, without too many Places to perform.

To the Poster Earlier, there is an Old Adage, You get what You pay for.

Let Your Friends get entertained in the West End. I'm sure a couple of Hundred will cover it.!

SVFUN
25-11-2012, 23:08
Its a long drawn out thread .but it still always comes down to what was said by a few on the first page ...you pay the good rates you get The Rolling Stones ..you pay the **** rates you get ...The Chuckle Brothers :D

karlburn
26-11-2012, 20:36
Its a long drawn out thread .but it still always comes down to what was said by a few on the first page ...you pay the good rates you get The Rolling Stones ..you pay the **** rates you get ...The Chuckle Brothers :D

Where are the chuckle brothers on? I like the chuckle brothrs!

SVFUN
27-11-2012, 10:44
Where are the chuckle brothers on? I like the chuckle brothrs!

Anywere you want if youve got £25 :D

Wolfeman
29-11-2012, 00:53
We could do with a few stand up comic nights held for raw new talent like a mini night at the apollo, advertise it through radio if possible and make it a charity event even. I know its probably going to get a boo for saying this but I think it would be a winner in the right venue.

Eager Teacher
29-11-2012, 14:49
I've just joined the Tenerife Forum and browsing through was interested in comments started by tenerifebird (05.11.12). I was thinking to invest in (dare I say) portable Karaoke equipment to try and approach hotels and bars for work. I have sung in bands for about 30 years back in the UK and loved being in 5 / 6 piece bands....but I couldn't fit them in my suitcase! I need some advice please...is this the sensible thing to do? After reading the comments I'm really not sure now.. is Tenerife really awash with this sort of thing? I live in the south of the island (Adeje), speak fluent Spanish, and am a qualified English teacher but can't seem find work in that respect either! Your thoughts and advice would be most appreciated.

SuzyQ
29-11-2012, 18:07
Most bars who want karaoke already have the system in Eager Teacher. I dont know of any hotels that do it, but again they would have their own system. Why dont you post on Facebook's "Tenerife Entertainers Available Tonight" page as a karaoke compere? You dont need to invest in equipment, just ut yourself out there. :)

IronVoice
07-11-2015, 21:21
Hey dear entertainers,
Bouncing this old thread to ask about the current status of Tenerife regarding singers performer.
I am a singer influenced especially by the style of Tom Jones and Elvis,
Can a good singer make a living these days in Tenerife?
How much can one expect to make out of a single show?
How hard is to fill your calendar with shows?

Thanks
Eldad

Angusjim
07-11-2015, 23:11
Hey dear entertainers,
Bouncing this old thread to ask about the current status of Tenerife regarding singers performer.
I am a singer influenced especially by the style of Tom Jones and Elvis,
Can a good singer make a living these days in Tenerife?
How much can one expect to make out of a single show?
How hard is to fill your calendar with shows?

Thanks
Eldad

You seem very unsure in your own ability that being the case just leave it::lol:

IronVoice
08-11-2015, 05:55
You seem very unsure in your own ability that being the case just leave it::lol:

Thats hardly the case. I believe I'm able to compete with the best singers out there. But thats not the point at all.
Sometimes and in many places there are just not enough work or not a proper salary for living.
So, I would still appreciate an opinion on my questions please.

Angusjim
08-11-2015, 08:43
Thats hardly the case. I believe I'm able to compete with the best singers out there. But thats not the point at all.
Sometimes and in many places there are just not enough work or not a proper salary for living.
So, I would still appreciate an opinion on my questions please.

The best will always find work but don't go to Tenerife to make your fortune. Maybe try here for info http://alistentertainerstenerife.com/

Lissalyon
08-11-2015, 10:33
The good will always rise to the top. We saw the Tenerife stones at the Bitacora on Friday. Brilliant. One of the best tribute acts I've seen.

Oh and Peter at the dubliner is excellent. From 9pm every night. The guy at the Alice restaurant next to la siesta hotel is quite easy onthe ears too.

seanocelt
08-11-2015, 14:08
The good will always rise to the top. We saw the Tenerife stones at the Bitacora on Friday. Brilliant. One of the best tribute acts I've seen.

Oh and Peter at the dubliner is excellent. From 9pm every night. The guy at the Alice restaurant next to la siesta hotel is quite easy onthe ears too.

which night are the Stones on at Bitacora?

Angusjim
08-11-2015, 14:11
which night are the Stones on at Bitacora?

They are also on at Hollywood Mirage this coming week cannot remember what night but there is a notice board at reception that tells whats on and when

seanocelt
09-11-2015, 17:46
Eagles tribute still around AJ?

Angusjim
09-11-2015, 19:49
Eagles tribute still around AJ?

Yes they are still on at Hollywood Mirage the are very good

Malteser Monkey
09-11-2015, 21:32

Love the Eagles Jim seriously

TOTO 99
09-11-2015, 22:09

AJ can you just stroll in or do you have to pretend you're staying there?

Ecky Thump
09-11-2015, 22:55
The problem is that bars that attract customers from AI hotels only keep them while the show is on.

Fill a bar with 'half pint drinkers' doesn't cover costs.

With punters only wanting to pay €1 - €1.50 a pint and drink the cheaper local spirits, bars that sometimes only have maybe twenty customers in and expect two or three artists/comedian singers etc., bar owners are unable to pay artists a decent rate and unfortunetly the standard of many of the acts reflect on this.

Angusjim
10-11-2015, 07:30

No you just stroll in no one gives you a second look you can also have a meal if you want nice place and they have some good acts on starts early around 9.00pm I think

Malteser Monkey
10-11-2015, 11:31

We used to go round a lot of the hotels and watch their entertainment and I was living there. As long as you buy a drink they wouldn't know and it's more income !

Ecky Thump
10-11-2015, 12:26
we used to go round a lot of the hotels, As long as you bought a drink they wouldn't know and it's more income!

And what service were you offering at these hotels that gave you your extra income? !! :D

Malteser Monkey
10-11-2015, 12:44
And what service were you offering at these hotels that gave you your extra income? !! :D

Same one your very dear Lady Wife does, double the price :lol:

Ecky Thump
10-11-2015, 12:48
Same one your very dear Lady Wife does, double the price :lol:

Do you share the same manager as she does...... Angusjim , he's now based in the Nth. East and is always looking for more talent?

Malteser Monkey
10-11-2015, 13:10
Do you share the same manager as she does...... Angusjim , he's now based in the Nth. East and is always looking for more talent?

No !:crazy::eek:

TOTO 99
10-11-2015, 13:29
As the title says......the quality isn't what it used to be....:lol:

Malteser Monkey
10-11-2015, 13:52
As the title says......the quality isn't what it used to be....:lol:

Thank you that was 16+ years ago - I would probably attract your kind of age group these days :whistle:

TOTO 99
10-11-2015, 14:12
Thank you that was 16+ years ago - I would probably attract your kind of age group these days :whistle:

Yeah, er, no.... even at my age I still have perfect vision....:lol: