PDA

View Full Version : Internet Can I use 'free WiFi mundo' in south Tenerife?

tub
05-11-2012, 21:36
we are coming to tenerife for three weeks over christmas and i am bringing my lap top we are near san eugenio and would like to know if i could us this free mundo to access the web if not what would be the best plan for me to get on line would a dongle be any good to me or get one when i am there and load it locally thanks in anticipation

junglejim
05-11-2012, 21:41
Limited access on free wifi Munro , you can pay for access with them or Tenerife wifi.
A dongle is an expensive option for short holiday.
Plenty of wifi pubs , cafes in San Eugenio area.

EA8/G0RAU
10-11-2012, 10:18
The free service can be slow and frustrating. Last visit, I paid about £20 for ten days and it worked well. Whether you get a signal will depend on your exact location. I need to use a small external aerial on the balcony in Torviscas Alto. Their website gives coverage maps. Good luck.

Vortex Wake
10-11-2012, 10:32
The free service can be slow and frustrating. Last visit, I paid about £20 for ten days and it worked well. Whether you get a signal will depend on your exact location. I need to use a small external aerial on the balcony in Torviscas Alto. Their website gives coverage maps. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum Dave ;)

Dah de dah.

theslaters
10-11-2012, 10:46
We just got back and had real trouble even getting the website to open to pay for it just so slow and kept getting timed out using the iPad/iphone but last year worked fine even the free one on my Samsung phone.

EA8/G0RAU
10-11-2012, 13:02
Thanks for the welcome,

73 de Dave

tub
11-11-2012, 21:11
thanks for info will do a rethink on internet

EA8/G0RAU
11-12-2012, 11:25
Just got back from another stay in Torviscas Alto and found that the WiFi scene has changed since my last visit. There are now more WiFi Mundo sites operating - a number being located in hotels - and also Tenerife WiFi has appeared on the scene. Whilst there was no problem receiving the many wi fi signals - even without my hi gain antenna - the usage now seems to be so heavy that it is difficult to get a connection. The message "unable to join this network" keeps appearing due, I believe, to all the IP addresses in the hot spot being used up. Basically, it seems you have to keep going round them all, trying to log on until somene has dropped off and left a spare IP address that your computer can have.

For this reason, I didn't bother paying out for a subscription this trip. I managed to get on the Mundo free service once or twice and relied on our restaurant's free wifi for mail and any other urgent things. I think that the explosion of smart phones and tablets has caused a massive surge in usage and until wifi networks catch up with extra capacity it could remain dificult using public networks.