PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my internet connection settings

KirstyJay
06-11-2012, 15:03
I'm having a problem with my internet connection that is driving me mad and Telefonica seem to be as much help as a chocolate fireguard, as what they suggested did not make any sense whatsoever.

I have just changed my Fritzbox router over to the Movistar one I was sent. I originally didn't bother when I changed over from DT to Movistar, as the connection was still running fine through the Fritzbox and therefore there was no need in messing with my setup, however I wanted to do some config changes on the router and DT have thoughtfully locked out the router so you need an admin password to get to the settings, which I don't have.

If any DT customers know the router password (it's the same for all), please let me know, as I'll just change back to my old router!!!

Anyway, since the storms my net connection really slowed down. I originally thought it was due to the rain, but now it seems it's not, as all the devices that access the wifi are working, but not my main PC that is connected by ethernet cable. When I switch on the VPN, however, it's fine. ???

The technico at Movistar said I should try changing the cable, but that makes no sense, because if it was an issue with a faulty cable, then the VPN wouldn't work either. I think it may be a firewall or config issue, but he was having none of it. I've tried disabling windows firewall, but that didn't work... and I am unsure what other config issue there could be that would cause this.

Also, the access point I have downstairs is also hard-cabled to the upstairs router, and that has no internet too, so I'm sure it's an issue with the router config.

Anyone got any ideas? My email won't work properly over the VPN and some sites, such as torrent sites, that I need to use are blocked on it too, so I'd really like to get this back to normal if possible.

Thanks!!!

PS: Yes, I've reset the router and unplugged - waited - replugged in... several times. :)

kiwiphil
06-11-2012, 16:13
Try "support" for the router password. It works for me.

Some of the issues you're describing could be DNS - that might explain why it works when you connect the VPN but not otherwise. Can you define "not working" please? Try ping google.com and then try ping 173.194.35.9. If you are ok getting to the IP address but the first one doesn't work then its DNS for sure. That should be easy to fix.

Disable Windows firewall. It never helps. You are on a NAT'd connection anyway so the only connections from the outside that can get to your PCs are ones that originated from your PC or where you have setup a port forward on your router.

Good luck, let me know if any of the above helps.

KirstyJay
07-11-2012, 00:09
I disabled windows firewall ages ago. Never had it on. I came to the same conclusion as you after I typed the post as it is probably a DNS issue, as my fritzbox was set up to work with the access point and we'd put in a really high rarely allocated DNS so that it would be 'reasonably' fixed for the downstairs router. After rebooting again, it seems to be working, so must have been allocated one that works.... so until I reboot it'll be ok.

Thanks for the fritzbox pass though. I knew it was summat like that. I tried admin and administrator... been so long since I last logged into it that I'd forgotten!

PS: Couldn't remember how to ping... not done it in a while. It's in the cmd prompt isn't it?

cinnamon
07-11-2012, 13:23
yep kirsty, run cmd as admin and then just type ping google.com :)