PDA

View Full Version : Condemned at the doctors

Ecky Thump
06-11-2012, 21:06
Today I went to visit my Doctor for a annual medical, while I was waiting a woman sat next to me and straight away asked me why was I there, my first reaction was going to be "My Business!" but I thought no, I shall be honest and tell her that I was a alcoholic (five long years without a good old glass of the Amber Nectar);) and just in for a check up on my liver functions etc. Wow, what a lecture I received about wasting NHS money and time when there were people like her who could not get help or cured and that my illness was self inflicted and I should just sort my self out and not bother doctors, the rant lasted about ten minutes with a barrage of abuse between sentences, being in a reasonable mood I just let her rant, when she had run out of steam, I politely (and being nosy) asked her what she was there for....she replied by telling me that she had the start of emphysema and that there was no known cure, I inquired if she smoked and she replied "Oh yes, but no more than twenty a day":spin:

junglejim
06-11-2012, 23:04
Itīs enough to turn you to drink!

Ecky Thump
07-11-2012, 10:18
Itīs enough to turn you to drink!

Now I can drive to get the drink, what a feeling of smugness I would have if the police pulled me up to breathalyze me, "Have you been drinking sir" and I could reply, "Oh yes, but no more than ten pints.............of sin alcohol lager":tiphat:

ribuck
07-11-2012, 12:05
"Oh yes, but no more than ten pints.............of sin alcohol lager":tiphat:
I get a strange pleasure when I order a "Dorada Sin". Such a great name!

delgirl
07-11-2012, 12:22
OMG how did you hold your temper it does make me laugh how dare she preach to you when she has an addiction as well thta has caused her an illness too

Ecky Thump
07-11-2012, 12:39
OMG how did you hold your temper it does make me laugh how dare she preach to you when she has an addiction as well thta has caused her an illness too

It sounds wrong to say it, but illnesses that are related to smoking are socially acceptable, but one of the things that the majority of us do is drink alcoholic beverages, which can cause illnesses, work and family problems.
I was a good drunk, never slurred my words, even tempered and could walk a straight line any time of the day, so it was acceptable to be a drunk, to say I am a alcoholic and I might as well be given a bell to ring when I am out.:duh:

languagefan
07-11-2012, 12:51
This teaches us all a lesson that openness may be a good thing, but indiscriminate openness can only allow a troubled stranger to download all his/her internal anger on us! Thanks for sharing.
Today I went to visit my Doctor for a annual medical, while I was waiting a woman sat next to me and straight away asked me why was I there, my first reaction was going to be "My Business!" but I thought no, I shall be honest and tell her that I was a alcoholic (five long years without a good old glass of the Amber Nectar);) and just in for a check up on my liver functions etc. Wow, what a lecture I received about wasting NHS money and time when there were people like her who could not get help or cured and that my illness was self inflicted and I should just sort my self out and not bother doctors, the rant lasted about ten minutes with a barrage of abuse between sentences, being in a reasonable mood I just let her rant, when she had run out of steam, I politely (and being nosy) asked her what she was there for....she replied by telling me that she had the start of emphysema and that there was no known cure, I inquired if she smoked and she replied "Oh yes, but no more than twenty a day":spin:

Greg
07-11-2012, 21:23
It sounds wrong to say it, but illnesses that are related to smoking are socially acceptable, but one of the things that the majority of us do is drink alcoholic beverages, which can cause illnesses, work and family problems.
I was a good drunk, never slurred my words, even tempered and could walk a straight line any time of the day, so it was acceptable to be a drunk, to say I am a alcoholic and I might as well be given a bell to ring when I am out.:duh:

That's because them alcoholics go to meetings. Us drunks go to parties:drinking::cheers2:

LUCKY
07-11-2012, 22:23
That's because them alcoholics go to meetings. Us drunks go to parties:drinking::cheers2: The boys did have a good laff when i told this story in the pub today:flatcap::feret::feret:

warbey
08-11-2012, 20:22
The boys did have a good laff when i told this story in the pub today:flatcap::feret::feret:

Proof.... The Old Ones are the BEST.

Rickiebear
08-11-2012, 20:50
Hi, I would rather sit next to someone drinking, than someone smoking.

LUCKY
08-11-2012, 23:12
Proof.... The Old Ones are the BEST. :feret:YOU TALKING TO ME !!!!!:flatcap::feret: