PDA

View Full Version : What makes a bad forum?

Zara
20-06-2011, 17:16
Last week I was answering questions on a forum, it took several posts to realise that the OP was, how can I say this kindly, intellectually challenged. The questions were relevant, but he had the habit of picking up on certain parts of an answer and then questioning that bit which made the thread go off topic a bit but generally not a lot.

This was fine until someone decided to call him names and they were then joined by one of their friends who added silly grinning photos. At this point his mother came on line and said her son was "a little bit retarded" and that it was mean to make fun of him as he was trying to plan a holiday and she was supervising what he was doing.

That was enough for the vultures to pounce and they have spent the weekend having almost every one of his posts removed as inappropriate. This made me so angry and when he asked why I told him some people were not nice but not to give up as others would answer his questions.

Needless to say rather than come on the forum with their objections, these spineless button clickers had my post removed. I questioned the moderators specifically asking why my post had been deleted with the explanation that it contain objectionable language, obscenity, vulgarity, hate speech, personal insults, hostile comments and threatening language. The explanation came back as " Your post was removed due to your comment referring to other members as "horrible people", which is considered not family friendly".... and posts that have been reported to us as inappropriate by a number of our members, are automatically removed by our system.

So it seems that those of us who would rather answer peoples criticisms up front are penalized, those people who have not quite grasped all of the T&Cs have their posts removed and those sly, mealy mouthed people who discriminate behind the click of a button get away with it.

I would like to think this forum never stoops to that level of moderation and if it did that a request to look sympathetically at the reasons for removal are taken at their merit and not purely at the number of clicks on a button.

Sorry for the rant but I have just seen that the person has now had his posts closed and those responsible continue with their inane Oops and LOLs

with cheese
20-06-2011, 17:28
That is disgusting, I hope the people responsible feel good about themselves. The poor person must be devistated, trying to do some good and perhaps learn by the sound of it.
I take it you can't name the forum, that would be wrong.

nurse ratchet
20-06-2011, 17:47
Last week I was answering questions on a forum, it took several posts to realise that the OP was, how can I say this kindly, intellectually challenged. The questions were relevant, but he had the habit of picking up on certain parts of an answer and then questioning that bit which made the thread go off topic a bit but generally not a lot.

This was fine until someone decided to call him names and they were then joined by one of their friends who added silly grinning photos. At this point his mother came on line and said her son was "a little bit retarded" and that it was mean to make fun of him as he was trying to plan a holiday and she was supervising what he was doing.

That was enough for the vultures to pounce and they have spent the weekend having almost every one of his posts removed as inappropriate. This made me so angry and when he asked why I told him some people were not nice but not to give up as others would answer his questions.

Needless to say rather than come on the forum with their objections, these spineless button clickers had my post removed. I questioned the moderators specifically asking why my post had been deleted with the explanation that it contain objectionable language, obscenity, vulgarity, hate speech, personal insults, hostile comments and threatening language. The explanation came back as " Your post was removed due to your comment referring to other members as "horrible people", which is considered not family friendly".... and posts that have been reported to us as inappropriate by a number of our members, are automatically removed by our system.

So it seems that those of us who would rather answer peoples criticisms up front are penalized, those people who have not quite grasped all of the T&Cs have their posts removed and those sly, mealy mouthed people who discriminate behind the click of a button get away with it.

I would like to think this forum never stoops to that level of moderation and if it did that a request to look sympathetically at the reasons for removal are taken at their merit and not purely at the number of clicks on a button.

Sorry for the rant but I have just seen that the person has now had his posts closed and those responsible continue with their inane Oops and LOLs

May I ask why you would want to post this on THIS Forum??

Jackie
20-06-2011, 17:51
May I ask why you would want to post this on THIS Forum??

Because Zara is asking the question 'What makes a BAD forum' and using her post as an example of what a 'bad' forum' can be like???

Susief
20-06-2011, 17:52
Poor guy. Some people can be cruel especially behind their computers!

Zara
20-06-2011, 17:55
Exactly Jackie, I would like to think that this forum would never ever use this sort of method to moderate posts and if they did they would be accessible enough for people to talk to them and get things sorted out correctly rather than rely on cowards who discriminate against people for whatever reason knowing that they are safe in their anonymity.

Jackie
20-06-2011, 17:55
Sadly Zara things like this happen every day. My cousin in OZ has an 18 year old son who has severe Autism, he comes across morons, the likes that you have described constantly.

If a forum is going to be moderated then it should be done so correctly. If a thread/post gets deleted simply because enough people 'flag' it then that is wrong. Surely a moderator should read it's contents before any decision is made about deleting it

Zara
20-06-2011, 18:03
Sadly Zara things like this happen every day. My cousin in OZ has an 18 year old son who has severe Autism, he comes across morons, the likes that you have described constantly.

If a forum is going to be moderated then it should be done so correctly. If a thread/post gets deleted simply because enough people 'flag' it then that is wrong. Surely a moderator should read it's contents before any decision is made about deleting it

I wonder how many posts on this forum would be deleted because someone used the words I did 'Horrible people' which was seen as not family friendly!!! Can you imagine if two or three people reported that on here as requiring deletion, the mods would pee themselves laughing. (At least I hope they would)

warbey
20-06-2011, 18:04
This goes to prove there are Nice People Cliques and nasty People Cliques.
with a fair number on the Fence, so to speak.
I remember a Thread on the "Old" Forum where a Woman got savaged by a Packi o0f..whatever.
Get the right ingredients and it can happen Anywhere, UNLESS the Moderation Team step in..
As for the Ones who pick on others retarded or not, They are everywhere. They will never win though.

slodgedad
20-06-2011, 19:29

I can assure you that just because a post is reported, whether it's once or twenty times, it doesn't necessarily mean action will be taken.

Reporting a post simply brings it to our attention and the merits are decided on by the mod team.

To delete every post, reported, would be nonsensical when you read some of the reasons given.

Oberon
20-06-2011, 20:02
and that it was mean to make fun of him as he was trying to plan a holiday and she was supervising what he was doing.
Can you tell us if this was a specifically Tenerife based forum or a general holiday forum?

Zara
20-06-2011, 20:20
Can you tell us if this was a specifically Tenerife based forum or a general holiday forum?

With respect Oberon I canīt see that giving that sort of information should make any difference to how a forum is run.

YOUNG GOLFER
20-06-2011, 20:20

Well i have no idea what forum it is but i would stick two fingers up to them and log off for good.

howard thornton
20-06-2011, 20:22
With respect Oberon I canīt see that giving that sort of information should make any difference to how a forum is run.

your secret is safe with me. :lol:

Apollo
20-06-2011, 20:42
I think, sadly, sometimes moderators just feel too power hungry and cant really do the job.
It's a shame because, IMO, it is a fairly necessary role but you will always get these people who enjoy the rush of clicking delete or handing out bans etc.
Sounds like thats what happened on the forum you were on Zara. Such a shame, that poor man was only trying to find out some information, or join in the online community and all people could do was - effectively - bully him. Tut tut

Jackie
20-06-2011, 20:43

I can assure you that just because a post is reported, whether it's once or twenty times, it doesn't necessarily mean action will be taken.

Reporting a post simply brings it to our attention and the merits are decided on by the mod team.

To delete every post, reported, would be nonsensical when you read some of the reasons given.

...and that is exactly what I said Slodge ;) I was referring to the forum that Zara was discussing not this one:doh: :)

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 21:51
Being an active member on the same forum being disscussed i was absolutely disgusted with some of the comments and links posted .I cant see how anyone deemed them as being funny .

I did have to laugh he kept calling me ...............Onetoenolegs ,now i have one of those minds that paints little pictures !!!

KirstyJay
20-06-2011, 22:13
Being an active member on the same forum being disscussed...How do you find TIME to post on ANOTHER forum actively!? :eek:

In reply to the original question,

I would not like to make a judgement without actually seeing the thread or comments in question, or knowing the forum, as there may be mitigating circumstances to over moderation, for example if the forum is very busy and the moderators are overstretched, they may be forced to blanket moderate and then assess a situation later, however I would think that they would try and get more mods if that were the case.

However... based on Zara's information, we personally would not tolerate name calling of that nature... or any nature, TBH. People participating in that sort of behaviour would have received infractions. As Slodge says though, reporting a post does not necessarily mean it's removed. Only last week a post was reported as offensive, but when we read the thread and saw that the poster had been pretty much asking for it in the way they spoke to others in the thread, it was left :) Think before you post. Don't say something if you're not prepared for the replies, as reporting it will not make a difference in those cases. ;)

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 22:26
How do you find TIME to post on ANOTHER forum actively!? :eek:
;)

Cos my Audience needs me ................................But this ones still the best:crossfingers:

slodgedad
20-06-2011, 22:28
Cos my Audience needs me ................................But this ones still the best:crossfingers:

Never had you down as a brown nose, Oleg....:eyebrows::eyebrows:

howard thornton
20-06-2011, 22:29

creep.that's the fourth forum you said that on.lol

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 22:30
Never had you down as a brown nose, Oleg....:eyebrows::eyebrows:

When i lie i cross my fingers ...........hence the smillie !!!

with cheese
21-06-2011, 00:08
Onetoenolegs, that is hilarious, impossible but hilarious. Amazing how peeps with difficulties can come out with innocent things that are great.

Oberon
21-06-2011, 14:50
There was me assuming assumptions and thinking it was one forum but it turns out ............
Being an active member on the same forum being disscussed ....................

I did have to laugh he kept calling me ...............Onetoenolegs ,now i have one of those minds that paints little pictures !!!
........ that it is a completely different one.

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 07:25
Sorry don't understand this post, what is TA. and what has it got do with anything, not having a go, just confused.

No one named which forum it was nor said which members ,no one mentioned any earlier grieveances which really has /had nothing to do with this forum so should it even be on here ,i'm not a MOD so unsure ??? ..................TBH the person who made the worst post imo wasnt even WC (known by another name on TA which would be wrong for me to give imo) The one that offended me was later codoned by saying it was in fun !!!WTF
This thread imo was about this type of bigotry on ANY forum and how its moderated which i think just has to be asked .The problem is many forums act quickly on racism but not so quick on those with mental and physical problems .I have no problems with moderation on any forum and this one is faster to act than most .

Added after 13 minutes:

Many people on many forums use the same account so often used between two people ,if you take time to read the posts you can often work out by their questions and answers that its two very different people .on the Occassion WC is refering to it was a son and mother ,the first post was written in answer to anothers question which was quite imformative ,the next a thread which by how you read it wasnt by the same person in the way it was written .Maybe this dual account which many forums allow should /could be stopped but its not against any rules .
The worst offence i feel is the fact that people reported this youngmans posts and not just ones that may have wandered off topic even his intail question was removed which imo ,this is bigotry and its highest level .
Cant comment on PMs PRIVATE MESSAGES other than to say they are just that ,private messages

with cheese
26-06-2011, 10:14
I did ask what TA is can some one explain as my post has been removed.

Loaded
26-06-2011, 10:15
I've not been on here for about a week purely because I'm fed up of "over modding" - I was contemplating not coming back but have decided to give the place a second chance.

Forums like this are about community and you can only achieve community spirit by engaging with people, if that takes threads slightly off topic here and there you don't want to see your posts removed - it just gets your back up.

with cheese
26-06-2011, 10:18
I've not been on here for about a week purely because I'm fed up of "over modding" - I was contemplating not coming back but have decided to give the place a second chance.

Forums like this are about community and you can only achieve community spirit by engaging with people, if that takes threads slightly off topic here and there you don't want to see your posts removed - it just gets your back up.
this is totally off topic lol

doreen
26-06-2011, 10:47

Glad you are still around ... what would we do without you on the Illegal Lettings Thread - which let's face it, is our most viewed thread by a mile (it was on the old forum too) and is a source of information/frustration for many who have invested in properties in Tenerife ... in my opinion, it is not really the place to go Off Topic :)

onelegnofeet
26-06-2011, 10:52
Glad you are still around ... what would we do without you on the Illegal Lettings Thread - which let's face it, is our most viewed thread by a mile (it was on the old forum too) and is a source of information/frustration for many who have invested in properties in Tenerife ... in my opinion, it is not really the place to go Off Topic :)

That why i dont go on it!!! Its one of the more serious things so one shouldnt ..........one shouldnt ,i've turned into Royalty !!!

But i do read it ...................:hello:

Loaded
26-06-2011, 11:32

I think it's definitely a place to go off topic if it means softening the mood, which i think you'll agree has and had got heated between several "factions", having a bit of fun and reminding each other that we're still human helps with the OVERALL sense of community on the forum.

There's plenty of scope for a little tomfoolery in between the serious topic of crocodile wielding holiday makers.

doreen
26-06-2011, 11:45
I think it's definitely a place to go off topic if it means softening the mood, which i think you'll agree has and had got heated between several "factions", having a bit of fun and reminding each other that we're still human helps with the OVERALL sense of community on the forum.

There's plenty of scope for a little tomfoolery in between the serious topic of crocodile wielding holiday makers.

I'm afraid I don't agree with you here ... we have to have the facility to stay on topic on one of the most important threads for people involved, be it that their livelihood or their personal investment is/might be at risk :)

Loaded
26-06-2011, 11:59
possibly, that wasn't even one the threads that got to me as it goes.

My point is that conversations naturally go off topic and digress, sometimes they need to brought back around - that is clear. But when they've already swung back around you don't need to go through and delete all the off topic comments.

Imagine having a conversation with friends or people you've just met and you're discussing the recent visit of the queen to Ireland when someone mentions how they think the Irish PM bears an uncanny resemblance to Doctor Emmet Brown from Back to The Future - would anyone quickly hush them and shout OFF TOPIC! at them?

I would hope not for the art of conversation is already a dying one.........

pablo1
26-06-2011, 12:11
Going off topic is one thing, having a forum full of suppressed comedians who feel the need to spread their joyous humour every other thread is another...

Suej
26-06-2011, 12:21
Going off topic is one thing, having a forum full of suppressed comedians who feel the need to spread their joyous humour every other thread is another...

To be Honest Pablo I quite enjoy the funnies in threads sometimes! what I donīt like to see is when the odd member doesnīt like the thread so they deliberately post nonsense just to sabotage it and make a mockery of it....itīs so obivious and must be really hurtful to the OP! Why donīt these members just post elsewhere?:confused:

pablo1
26-06-2011, 12:27
That's my point though sue, not every thread needs to be taken over with funnies. Like most aspects of life the more things are done the more diluted they become....

Sylla
26-06-2011, 13:11
No one named which forum it was nor said which members ,no one mentioned any earlier grieveances which really has /had nothing to do with this forum so should it even be on here ,i'm not a MOD so unsure ??? ..................TBH the person who made the worst post imo wasnt even WC (known by another name on TA which would be wrong for me to give imo) The one that offended me was later codoned by saying it was in fun !!!WTF
This thread imo was about this type of bigotry on ANY forum and how its moderated which i think just has to be asked .The problem is many forums act quickly on racism but not so quick on those with mental and physical problems .I have no problems with moderation on any forum and this one is faster to act than most .

Added after 13 minutes:

Many people on many forums use the same account so often used between two people ,if you take time to read the posts you can often work out by their questions and answers that its two very different people .on the Occassion WC is refering to it was a son and mother ,the first post was written in answer to anothers question which was quite imformative ,the next a thread which by how you read it wasnt by the same person in the way it was written .Maybe this dual account which many forums allow should /could be stopped but its not against any rules .
The worst offence i feel is the fact that people reported this youngmans posts and not just ones that may have wandered off topic even his intail question was removed which imo ,this is bigotry and its highest level .
Cant comment on PMs PRIVATE MESSAGES other than to say they are just that ,private messages

You are wrong OLNF ...His initial posts were not removed ...they are still there ...only his off topic ones went ...And I for one did not contribute to removing them ....half of them I didn't even read , cos if you blinked they were gone .....And personally I thought it was a set up , cos if you read his post on another thread that he did not start , he comes over as quite different and intelligent ...but that's not my privilige to judge ...just my opinion ...I did contact one of the mods to ask what the h*ll was going on and the answer was that the mods had dealt with it ......individuals can zap a post , but if that zap is deemed infair the post will come back !

dede
26-06-2011, 14:34
I dont think that topics from one forum should spill over to another, but they do as some people have too much time on their hands and a forum becomes their life, I am registered with another forum but very rarely post but i still like to read it, now three forums would probably blow my tiny mind!!:nurse2:

Sylla
26-06-2011, 16:29
I agree dede, but if there is something of interest on another forum I can go with that ....I am more active on the other forum which is more for holidays/travel tourists , I like giving advise where I can especially for posters that have never been to the island ....I only came onto this thread to put a wrong statement right ...it was OP that brought the subject up from another forum , about being cruel ...most of us on that forum thought , whether rightly or wrongly that the poster in question was a troll by the way he was behaving and finishing his screen name with "------?nutter" ! and only joined a week ago and apparently lived in Tenerife and seemed to be taking the micky with the very respected DE poster that answered his query ...but I was quite happy to see how it would pan out ...but then the posts started disappearing as fast as they were put on ? by the mods ...and they will not discuss with you the reasons, except what is printed on the forum when they delete ...which can be harassment / off topic or multiple screen names etc

with cheese
26-06-2011, 17:13

Boring moaners is worse.

Same as OL I have not been on ILLEGAL LETTINGS, because it is for those have involvement.

pablo1
26-06-2011, 17:47
kev, not joining in or laughing at certain posters ' jokes ' doesn't make you a boring moaner in the same way that talking about guiness doesn't make you Irish. I prefer to be judged by those who know me in real life and not by those who see me putting words on a computer. If you want to continue picking up my posts and quoting them in a derogatory way then do so. In the grand scheme of things it's unimportant. A sense of humour comes in many forms, I guess mine and yours just differentiate, but hey, that's part of what makes us who we are. :-)

reggie
26-06-2011, 19:04
Its a bit like a classroom, 30 kids all differant, theres your swots that nobody likes, unless there one too, then theres the girls, prim and proper ones that go straight home, the others are smoking somewere, then a few class clowns, that find humour in everything, everybody differant, its just the way it is, same on here, I would rather laugh than moan, or discuss , bo--ox to that, so you have to put up with it, or dont, its quite simple really, Nobody died talking on a forum, well they might have done, but we dont know, :crazy:

doreen
26-06-2011, 19:16
Its a bit like a classroom, 30 kids all differant, theres your swots that nobody likes, unless there one too, then theres the girls, prim and proper ones that go straight home, the others are smoking somewere, then a few class clowns, that find humour in everything, everybody differant, its just the way it is, same on here, I would rather laugh than moan, or discuss , bo--ox to that, so you have to put up with it, or dont, its quite simple really, Nobody died talking on a forum, well they might have done, but we dont know, :crazy:

Good analogy ... Mods = teachers ... and the very disruptive pupils are banned :lol:

reggie
26-06-2011, 19:21
Dead right doreen, i remember you round the back of the bike sheds, I was always in trouble at school, mmm still are really, hey up, heads here, :dog:

Sylla
26-06-2011, 19:28
You forgot Headmistress with her stick /whip !:whip:

warbey
26-06-2011, 19:37

Well said Reggie..Your version is more polite than the one I DIDNT Post.

After a few Years most regulars attain Their own status.
We are all Human and equal even though some Characters feel superior.
Anyone can feel superior to Me, I dont care, I'm happy as I am.

reggie
26-06-2011, 22:25
Well said Reggie..Your version is more polite than the one I DIDNT Post.

After a few Years most regulars attain Their own status.
We are all Human and equal even though some Characters feel superior.
Anyone can feel superior to Me, I dont care, I'm happy as I am.

Polite ? me. thats a first, yes there are some clever smart people on here, I would hate to be trapped in a room with them, i would fall asleep, but we need them, to ballance the books. they would hate to be trapped with me, we tend to find people that were comfortable with, But i bet we come across as one thing, but in the real world we are something else, Anyway its not a big deal is it, i come on here to amuse myself, not to educate myself, too late for that, We should all get on really, but say the wrong thing and bam, WTF was it i said, nothing, its the way you said it, Mental Yeh. :spin::crazy::mad:

with cheese
26-06-2011, 22:47
Bloody hell Reggie what an Educated post, you swot.

Sal
26-06-2011, 22:52
What makes a bad forum?

People at each others' throats all the time.

But hey, we don't have that at all - do we?

with cheese
26-06-2011, 22:55
Sal could you just slacken your hands a wee bit, i can't breathe.

Sal
26-06-2011, 22:55
Sal could you just slacken your hands a wee bit, i can't breathe.

As if!! :crylaughing:

with cheese
26-06-2011, 22:59
Nice and hot in your neck today, I went down the New Forest after work for a meal with some friends, just got back, stonking

Sal
26-06-2011, 23:05
Nice and hot in your neck today, I went down the New Forest after work for a meal with some friends, just got back, stonking

You have to remember we got back from Tenerife on Friday, so today was pleasantly warm!

:whip: (Can't find "off-topic" smiley)

Sylla
27-06-2011, 11:33
The question would have been better if phrased as ...."what makes a good forum ?

Respect for fellow posters and their opinions ....nothing wrong with a bit of friendly banter/ cheek if it is not done with a double meaning ...ie: mean't to be malicious....you know when some one is having a nasty "dig" at you , rather than a friendly one !

Posters are driven away if the forum is not friendly ...I noticed on the old forum , there were so many members , but they didn't post ...had they been scared away or just lost interest ? :soapbox:

Suej
27-06-2011, 11:50
Boring moaners is worse.

Same as OL I have not been on ILLEGAL LETTINGS, because it is for those have involvement.

Same here I have never bothered with the Illegal lettings thread...I should care I suppose if people illegally let their apartments out, but Iīm not fussed about it as it doesnīt involve me one iota! :hello:

Added after 2 minutes:

The question would have been better if phrased as ...."what makes a good forum ?

Respect for fellow posters and their opinions ....nothing wrong with a bit of friendly banter/ cheek if it is not done with a double meaning ...ie: mean't to be malicious....you know when some one is having a nasty "dig" at you , rather than a friendly one !

Posters are driven away if the forum is not friendly ...I noticed on the old forum , there were so many members , but they didn't post ...had they been scared away or just lost interest ? :soapbox:

Think it might be more a case of they thought it was a good idea to join at the time, but never really bothered with it!

Sylla
27-06-2011, 19:15

Just another correction to the OP .... The threads were not closed ......only the "driving in Tenerife " thread not closed , but an invite to post another question , as the poster in question had gone right off topic ...with Monkey park ....Caravans/ flats .... and Kareoke ....I would say that was well off topic in one post from "driving in Tenerife" .... I hope this will hit this one on the head , cos it was obviously a "troll " if you had read his previous posts on another thread , I think you were had Zara :eyebrows:

dede
27-06-2011, 22:19
What makes a bad forum??? Nasty people that dont want to show everyone what they are truly like and only have the bottle to send sneaky nasty pm,s

Zara
27-06-2011, 22:27
What makes a bad forum??? Nasty people that dont want to show everyone what they are truly like and only have the bottle to send sneaky nasty pm,s

Totally agree dede, we saw that first hand on the old forum :)

with cheese
27-06-2011, 23:01
I must say Sylla, I would have thought being a lab lover you would have had a bit more than constantly sniping at someone. I don't often agree with Dede but I reckon this is pretty low. You say you give advice else where, hope its not any advice that would affect anyone

Sylla
27-06-2011, 23:07
Sniping ? not ! correcting a false statements...the truth is there in writing on the other forum ...you cannot fake truth !

doreen
27-06-2011, 23:10
Let's chill folks ... it's okay to talk in general terms, but it's not really appropriate to go into all the details of incidents not connected to this forum :)

Sylla
27-06-2011, 23:16
I agree ...but if it is brought onto the forum lets have accuracy .... poor wickedcris's post was accurate and it got deleted ....if you want to bring examples , put a show topic not distort the truth .

Tojack
27-06-2011, 23:26
Like your avatar Doreen let sleeping dogs lay

slodgedad
28-06-2011, 01:42
There is a report button and, although it is often misused, every reported post is dealt with.

Sometimes not to to the satisfaction of the reporter but every one is looked at and dealt with appropriately.

If you have reported a post and nothing happens it doesn't mean it has been ignored, but discussed by the mod team, and if nothing wrong is found then no action is taken.

with cheese
28-06-2011, 06:54
don't believe in reporting, the mods can see things, if not wtf

Suej
28-06-2011, 12:00
I agree ...but if it is brought onto the forum lets have accuracy .... poor wickedcris's post was accurate and it got deleted ....if you want to bring examples , put a show topic not distort the truth .

Accurate or not Sylla itīs just a lot of mud slinging between people that for unknown reasons donīt like each other, in my opinion these posts should be kept within the Forum the issues relate to so that those members can battle it out somewhere else. I hope weīve seen the last of the tittle tattle, it doesnīt belong here.:)

Sylla
28-06-2011, 12:16
To be honest I think this thread should be closed down or even wiped out completely , as it was totally unneccessary owing to it's tittle tattle inaccuracy ...

I for one will not be bullied or intimidated , and I hope in my PM to you "cheese" I explained that in good faith and no hard feelings ....

But it just shows ,how things can be misunderstood if they are not passed down with accuracy ,,,( bad reporting) :censored: nothing wrong with pointing out obvious mistakes which can be proved if you look on to the other forum ...

Suej
28-06-2011, 12:42
Let's chill folks ... it's okay to talk in general terms, but it's not really appropriate to go into all the details of incidents not connected to this forum :) Well said Doreen and Iīm sure the OP didnīt intend for this thread to progress in this manner.

with cheese
28-06-2011, 16:47
As I have never seen malicious threads from the OP previously, I would say it was never meant in that way.
I didn't realise TA referred to Trip Adsvisor, dumb ass, but do now and to be honest I find this forum far more honest on facts for Tenerife than I did a couple of years beck when I ask a question on TA.
I have had a look at what Sylla directed me to and think it was obvious this person was a bit short.
Obviously I didn't want to get involved but some how have been dragged in, I am only giving my opinion which as someone who assesses children with difficulties regulary I think is fair.
I am not prepared to comment on any of the postings or posties as they are not from this forum.
Think this has become a conflict of personalities and no winners here, not that I see people trying to win, maybe a few brownie points being gained.

Sylla
28-06-2011, 17:37
I am not making anymore comments on this thread ...I actually had no intentions of even posting on it ...but once I see something that needs correcting ...I do it , if I know about it .....that's all ...and thank you cheese for coming back with your opinion ...

Zara
28-06-2011, 20:37
When I placed the original post it was purely about how a forum should NOT be moderated, on the click of a switch, and if enough people clicked inappropriate the post vanishes automatically. I also was upset when I asked the other forum to re-look at the posters comments and they could see that the poster was obviously doing his best - their response was the button has been clicked by several people as off topic, which is against their guidelines. I am happy to see it does not happen here, I think it was Slodge said the Mods never remove a post just on someone’s say so but decide between them whether it merits removing or not.

At no point did I say which forum it was (it could have been one of several as I am a member of four including this one). I did not specifically count the numerous posts removed or threads closed, as it was not relevant to the point of my post (bad forum moderation). My comments were purely to give people a general feel of what had happened and what I believe is discrimination against the mentally challenged.

At no point did I mention anyone by name, however it seems that some members decided it meant them and came on quoting my real name and my usernames on other forums. I donīt actually have a problem with this, I use the same avatar on all so easily recognised, however I do find the comment ironic as it was made by someone who has at least 2 usernames.

As far as the other forum contacting them directly with information about other account users, anyone who is a member of any forum knows that this just does not happen.

I regret the way this post has sadly developed but that is beyond my control and I am grateful to those members who saw the post for what it was. To those who feel it meant more than intended, perhaps they should consider how they respond to people they donīt know and realise the affect they can have both on these people and those who are reading their replies.

with cheese
28-06-2011, 20:45
I think that clarifies any mis understandings and perhaps the mods should count this as a closed thread. Not my position to say but as this was from OP, a mere suggestion.
Anyone who attacks mentally handicapped or physically handicapped people in any form should be so disgraced at themselves. I haven't got any info on this happening, just a comment in line with this thread.

DaveRF
28-06-2011, 20:48
I think the term bad forum is a bit of a red herring. I think, quite simply some forums just do not suit some people. Some are informational and heavily moderated. Some are not moderated at all and most somewhere in between.

If you don't like the ethos of a forum just move on and find one that suits you. Simples ;)

dede
28-06-2011, 20:49
Zara i am glad that this forum does not work like that as there are quite few on here that dont like my opinions, so i for one would be gone, having said that the way this forum works is very fair, i have never had an infraction or what ever its called for either breaking the tc's or for being insulting or nasty to anyone, i would be most upset if i had, but i know a few who have and this to me means good moderating.:)

MaxineC
28-06-2011, 21:52
If you don't like the ethos of a forum just move on and find one that suits you. Simples ;)

Suits you sir.... :hat:

onelegnofeet
30-06-2011, 15:21
You are wrong OLNF ...His initial posts were not removed ...they are still there ...only his off topic ones went ...And I for one did not contribute to removing them ....half of them I didn't even read , cos if you blinked they were gone .....And personally I thought it was a set up , cos if you read his post on another thread that he did not start , he comes over as quite different and intelligent ...but that's not my privilige to judge ...just my opinion ...I did contact one of the mods to ask what the h*ll was going on and the answer was that the mods had dealt with it ......individuals can zap a post , but if that zap is deemed infair the post will come back !

To be pedantic ,This first post was removed and i complained strongly and it was put back .But his next question ,something he had misunderstood when being told to use a sunscreen which he thought was an object rather than a lotion !!! was deemed wrong and remains removed But my main issue as said before was the link to a stupid looking smillie ,that was condesending to say the least ,followed by the same persons reply (a bit of humour never hurt anyone ) no in fact it never as long as you know that persons position .Had it had been a black man or woman would a link to a Robinsons Golly been fitting ,a pork chop to a jewish man or woman .So i really dont see how anyone can justify the smillie aimed at this youngman .Of course it can no longer be seen ,Thankfully ,but it was seen for what it was.I personally enjoy a laugh with regards to my health issues and missing limbs but thats me and not everyone is or should be the same. .Sadly though that forum will not discuss why posts are removed its usually a bog standard reply quoting T&Cs ,nor will they discuss actions taken by them to its members ,but as i have tried to contact this youngman and his mum through the pm facility on that forum it does seem as though they have been banned .
As you say he came over differentley as he would as both he and his mother held that account .As you know WC uses her husbands account and personally i have no problem with this .
I too went off topic offering various advice ,including the monkey park as an option ,mine wasnt removed ?? yet another members was ??Seems very very strange who's posts are removed imo theres more to it than the written word ,Sad World