PDA

View Full Version : What are Monarch Airways like to fly with to Tenerife?

SVFUN
07-11-2012, 23:01
Flying with them in dec to the reef .Never flown with um before anybody any knowledge good .bad.indifferent ?...Cost me £90 return and £30 for 20kg

Boyface
07-11-2012, 23:21
Used Monarch 10 + times in the last 2 years or so and had a reasonable experience overall. Few delays which seems normal for them? Experienced a change of aircraft one time which led to us sitting in a standard seat after booking an extra legroom but after contacting customer services on return they looked after us to my satisfaction.

Flying out with them again this month and most likely book with them again for Xmas.

murph
08-11-2012, 01:11
Used them 4 times and delayed every time I am sad to say, between 2 and 5 hours + one nine hourer when they sent our plane to pick up ''more important'' (my opinion obviously! ) passengers.

And that's why we use Ryan Air!

Dan747
08-11-2012, 03:51
Monarch offer the standard 'low cost' service these days, albeit will look after you better if something goes wrong unlike certain low-cost carriers. Seat space is average, inflight service is usually quite good with a decent selection of food and drink to buy, as per all airlines they can suffer occasional delays, usually happens more in the summer when they over stretch themselves.

I've travelled with Monarch countless number of times over the years and I've never really had a complaint, most we've ever been delayed is an hour or two and it has only happened once or twice.

For £90 return + baggage you've got yourself a good deal, Monarch are usually more expensive than the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet.

trevorife2
08-11-2012, 08:57
Flown with monarch many times over the past 7 years and never had a problem,Though i have seen and heard of many delays/issues ive been lucky and had very good flights including last month when we had had a brilliant flight to/from Tenerife

SVFUN
08-11-2012, 10:59
Thanks everyone .Hopefully most of delays are in summer when i suppose they are stretched .To be honest i dont mind an hr or so delay if the price was good .

anegib
08-11-2012, 11:02
I have flown with Monarch many times and touch wood have not had any problems with them.

Fivepence
08-11-2012, 11:09
I have flown with Monarch many times and touch wood have not had any problems with them.

I have also flown many times with Monarch, without any issues.............maybe I have been lucky not to suffer delays.
However, on a minor personal point, I prefer the seats on a Boeing to the seats on an Airbus.

Brian
08-11-2012, 12:02
Always fly with Monarch and have never any real problems. Had to once do a plane change at Luton, all passengers and luggage transferred and in the air in under an hour.

kiwiphil
08-11-2012, 12:38
I've had 8 flights with them in the past 5 months and only one delay, of around 4 hours, so not too bad really. The 10kg limit on hand baggage is checked and bags are tagged at the checking counter so take care there. Allocated seating is nice too, it avoids the scramble getting on and means I can always ask for a seat near the front for a quicker exist.

£90 return is really good. I average around £150 return, even with booking well in advance.

SVFUN
08-11-2012, 12:44
I've had 8 flights with them in the past 5 months and only one delay, of around 4 hours, so not too bad really. The 10kg limit on hand baggage is checked and bags are tagged at the checking counter so take care there. Allocated seating is nice too, it avoids the scramble getting on and means I can always ask for a seat near the front for a quicker exist.

£90 return is really good. I average around £150 return, even with booking well in advance.

Ye me and the wife got 10kg hand luggage each .thats why i only paid for another 20kg so they do make a point of checking the weight of the hand luggage then .never really known airlines in past check my hand luggage for weight .Is that because its 10kg ?

craftycarder
08-11-2012, 12:50
I find there seating very close together and if the person in front decides to drop their seat back you have not room whatsoever.
Which is what happened to me on a flight. I therefore fly with Ryanair much better.

kiwiphil
08-11-2012, 12:50
Ye me and the wife got 10kg hand luggage each .thats why i only paid for another 20kg so they do make a point of checking the weight of the hand luggage then .never really known airlines in past check my hand luggage for weight .Is that because its 10kg ?

No idea why they do it, just worth being aware of.

Easyjet don't mind how heavy it is provided it is of the correct size. I regularly cram 15kg or so into my carry-on bag and do without hold baggage completely when on Easyjet, so I just have to remember who I'm flying with each time so I don't get caught out with 15kg on a Monarch flight.

kez1000
08-11-2012, 13:45
Monarch I use more than anyone, they offer a pretty good service. I see some people have had delays, I expect it depends which airport. We had our first delay in 30+ Monarch flights at Manchester in the summer due to a power outage at the airpot.

I think overall they are good value and easy to deal with. Every 10 flights or so depending on your points you can get a free flight too if you are a frequent flier. Think the points at their Vantage club last about 3 years.

Have a nice trip, sure it will be fine.

Regards

KeZ

Bhamannette
08-11-2012, 13:59
Fly with them to Tenerife 5 times a year for the past 8 years, only ever had a short delays 20/30 minutes, never had reason to complain. Seats are a bit close together but as Im only 5.2 its not a problem, but if you're tall it doesnt look too comfortable. Staff I've found to always be friendly and helpful, foods not brilliant but Ive never known a shorthaul where it is. £90 is a bargain.

ribuck
08-11-2012, 14:05
I've flown Monarch from Manchester half a dozen times. The flights were all good. Twice I had a one-hour delay.

foods not brilliant but Ive never known a shorthaul where it is

The trolley food is not brilliant, but I have found the £9 pre-ordered meals to be consistently good.

RachyRoo
08-11-2012, 14:22
We fly with monarch most times when we fly to Tenerife/Spain and never encounted any major problems. We got delayed last time we were over, at the last miniute due to the ATC stike in Spain, and I have to say Monarch were absoloutly brilliant. They looked after us really well, put us up in a hotel when many other airlines left passengers overnight in the airport, fed us the whole of the delay and transported us to/from the airport. I know they are a bit more expensive that the likes of RyanAir, EasyJet etc but seeing as weve never had any problems I tend to stick with them, BA & Aer Lingus are generally the only other airlines we fly with. We paid about £650 for 4 with 4 lots of luggage and pre booked seats, and fly out on 23rd Nov x

murph
08-11-2012, 15:47
I find everyone really easy going on this thread. Practically everyone has encountered a delay - short or long - and seem quite happy to do so.

Why, when you don't have to? We have flown 8 times with Ryan Air in last 4 years and not a minute late.

Maybe it's just me but I want to get where I am going (home or away) and do not want to sit in airport for a minute longer than I have to.

As for everything else, I found the staff, the food, the baggage etc. pretty much of a muchness with Monarch / EasyJet/ Ryan Air/ Jet2 / Thomas Cook

Ryan Air also have the newest planes which I like, with Thomas Cook having the worst I have ever flown on.

primrose
08-11-2012, 15:57
Wondered how long it would be before the Ryan Air Luvvies took this thread over.:devil2:

murph
08-11-2012, 16:10
Wondered how long it would be before the Ryan Air Luvvies took this thread over.:devil2:

Ha Ha - I am not really - just a pragmatist!

As I said earlier in the thread, I used to use Monarch in preference to EasyJet or Ryan Air, but after the 9 hour delay when they sent our plane to Greece (from Tenerife) to bring home other people after their plane broke down (and this was on the back of continual 2 -4 hour delays) I decided to try others.

I actually think (as you can see on the Ryan Air threads on here) that Ryan Air take a few chances with their fast turnarounds but I am pretty confident the safety side of things are being adhered to -especially with the fleet being young.

Balcony
08-11-2012, 17:27
Always take flights where the flight no. starts with the letters ZB. These are the scheduled flights and in our experience usually run to time.

I'd take them out of preference, but at our local airport they changed the flights times which are mainly unattractive to us, so now we mostly take Easysweat.

tfs1
08-11-2012, 18:03
if you want to fly Monach cattle class and are of normal height be prepared for a long uncomfortable flight, we used to upgrade to the extra legroom for a more relaxed flight before we went elsewhere.

We now fly with an airline with longer standard legroom that other 'low cost' carriers, cant mention who it is on this thread else it will prompt 'luvvies' comments.

SVFUN
08-11-2012, 19:47
Id fly with my knees under my chin if it was cheap enough .and walk up and down the aisle for 3hrs of the 4 hr flight :laugh:

warbey
08-11-2012, 20:02
Always take flights where the flight no. starts with the letters ZB. These are the scheduled flights and in our experience usually run to time.

I'd take them out of preference, but at our local airport they changed the flights times which are mainly unattractive to us, so now we mostly take Easysweat.

I think these are the Scheduled Flights. The others have a DIFFERENT Luggage allowance I understand. (charter)

Less Hand luggage allowance

Take care.

RETEPYELKNIRB
08-11-2012, 20:21
Toilets are outside!

tfs1
08-11-2012, 20:28
Id fly with my knees under my chin if it was cheap enough .and walk up and down the aisle for 3hrs of the 4 hr flight

Maybe you should look at a company we cant mention here and you wont have to !!!!

primrose
08-11-2012, 20:29
:rofl::rofl::rofl:[QUOTE=tfs1;236038]Maybe you should look at a company we cant mention here and you wont have to !!!![/QUO

My cat sent this before i could type reply.:) obviously thinks nothing of RA

tub
08-11-2012, 21:24
we have used monarch quite a few times not the best but not that bad

Boyface
08-11-2012, 21:58
8 more sleeps and I fly out with Monarch as a Silver member for the first time, I will let you know how it goes :D

SVFUN
08-11-2012, 22:44
Maybe you should look at a company we cant mention here and you wont have to !!!!

How can i look at it if it cant be mentioned ...Go on mention it is it American Airlines ?

Boyface
08-11-2012, 22:49

Surely the thread is about the Monarch experience to be expected rather than some other unmentionable Airline?

Dan747
08-11-2012, 23:23
I think it's fair to say that those who have suffered long delays are just unlucky, considering how many flights Monarch operate per day, the majority of their 6 million passengers every year have no issues.

marbro8
08-11-2012, 23:25
we have flown with monarch about 10 times in the last 5 years or 12 in the last 6? but nearly every time been delayed:( the last straw was a few weeks ago when they changed the plane without informing us? so we got the number of the seats that we booked but not where we wanted:(, they have today refunded our money for the seats that we didn't get but we are looking forward to cheaper flights with better flight times and no delays with ry, sorry;) another airline in may:wink2:

Boyface
08-11-2012, 23:28
we have flown with monarch about 10 times in the last 5 years or 12 in the last 6? but nearly every time been delayed:( the last straw was a few weeks ago when they changed the plane without informing us? so we got the number of the seats that we booked but not where we wanted:(, they have today refunded our money for the seats that we didn't get but we are looking forward to cheaper flights with better flight times and no delays with ry, sorry;) another airline in may:wink2:

We got the same with the aircraft change but as well as getting a refund on the extra leg room seats we also got free upgrade to extra leg room seats on the next flight. :bootyshake:

Dan747
08-11-2012, 23:37
I think it's always worth remembering when people say fly Ryanair if you want to be on time... no airline can guarantee you won't be delayed and they ALL suffer from delays every day.

In the past two weeks two of my friends have flown with Ryanair, one went to Tenerife and the other to Fuerteventura, both their outbound flights were delayed, the Tenerife by nearly 7 hours, which also had a stop off in Stansted to pick up other delayed Ryanair Tenerife bound passengers, and the Fuerteventura by an hour.

But when you consider how many passengers every airline transports per day, most will not have an issue, it's also worth noting that airlines are considered on time if the delay is less than 15 minutes.

tfs1
08-11-2012, 23:41
SVFUN,

Hopefully the replies from your question have provided you with some informative and personal feedback/views on what to expect from Monarch. Enjoy your flight and holiday here in Tenerife.

Regards TFS1

marbro8
09-11-2012, 20:04
I think it's always worth remembering when people say fly Ryanair if you want to be on time... no airline can guarantee you won't be delayed and they ALL suffer from delays every day.

In the past two weeks two of my friends have flown with Ryanair, one went to Tenerife and the other to Fuerteventura, both their outbound flights were delayed, the Tenerife by nearly 7 hours, which also had a stop off in Stansted to pick up other delayed Ryanair Tenerife bound passengers, and the Fuerteventura by an hour.

But when you consider how many passengers every airline transports per day, most will not have an issue, it's also worth noting that airlines are considered on time if the delay is less than 15 minutes.lol i would have taken 15 mins delay every time but was never afforded that luxury:laugh:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We got the same with the aircraft change but as well as getting a refund on the extra leg room seats we also got free upgrade to extra leg room seats on the next flight. :bootyshake:i got my credid card bill this morning and monarch had refunded me my seat booking fees and i hadn't asked for it back? and now you mention it on the flight back we did get extra leg room seats without requesting them? maybe someone is listening to us:wow:

trevorife2
09-11-2012, 21:11
just for the record , we have sorted our holiday dates for next year ... majorca in may and tenerife in september .................................................b oth flying with monarch !!

murph
09-11-2012, 22:15
Industry Stats for Sep and Oct 2012 - Courtesy www.flightstats.com

for Monarch

On-time Performance Summary
On-time 69%
Late 13%
Very Late 5%
Excessive 10%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

And Ryan Air

On-time 88%
Late 6%
Very Late 2%
Excessive 2%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

And Easy Jet

On-time 90%
Late 5%
Very Late 1%
Excessive 2%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

Thomas Cook

On-time 78%
Late 5%
Very Late 2%
Excessive 12%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

marbro8
09-11-2012, 22:35
Industry Stats for Sep and Oct 2012 - Courtesy www.flightstats.com

for Monarch

On-time Performance Summary
On-time 69%
Late 13%
Very Late 5%
Excessive 10%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

And Ryan Air

On-time 88%
Late 6%
Very Late 2%
Excessive 2%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

And Easy Jet

On-time 90%
Late 5%
Very Late 1%
Excessive 2%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%

Thomas Cook

On-time 78%
Late 5%
Very Late 2%
Excessive 12%
Cancelled 0%
Diverted 0%looks like easy jet are the winners then? what about accidents or incidents?

karinagal
10-11-2012, 00:16
I'm currently awaiting my 400€ refund for a 16 hour flight delay in July with Monarch... I'll let you know how I get on..!

Boyface
18-11-2012, 13:18
8 more sleeps and I fly out with Monarch as a Silver member for the first time, I will let you know how it goes :D

Nearly an hour late but apart from that a good flight. Liked the perks of being a Silver member - priority check in plus fast track security along with board when you like rather than in seat row order meant I could get my bag in the overhead locker above my head instead of fighting for a space elsewhere.

tony36
18-11-2012, 20:11
why not have a look at British Airways just booked 2 returns for next year from Gatwick £322.00 includes 2 cases and hand baggage plus meal

warbey
18-11-2012, 21:16
When I fly somewhere, I like to know what Airline and what Plane.

I think I am entitled to ask as the CUSTOMER.

Monarch used another Airline.s Plane this Year. so, delays.

No use boasting of their Maintenance standards then is it.?

I have often wondered if You refused to board an alternative, could You claim breach of contract, wrong Plane.?

I bet thats in the small print too.

Perhaps the recent Euro Decisions about compensation for late Flights may have an effect whatever the Company.?

I'm currently awaiting my 400€ refund for a 16 hour flight delay in July with Monarch... I'll let you know how I get on..!

Only if it is THEIR Fault.

karinagal
19-11-2012, 12:14
They needed a part for the plane so yes, it was their fault. There were no extraordinary circumstances. The appeal that the airlines were waiting for as a possible means of denying us compensation has been decided and denied, so it's time now for them to put up and shut up!! :D

TOTO 99
19-11-2012, 12:34
They needed a part for the plane so yes, it was their fault. There were no extraordinary circumstances. The appeal that the airlines were waiting for as a possible means of denying us compensation has been decided and denied, so it's time now for them to put up and shut up!! :D

On that very subject Karina I had a 17 hour delay a few weeks ago. There was lots of talk about £400 compensation but to be honest I can see a very long wait and no guarantee of a payment.
They originally told us to claim from our insurance but I wasn't having that. They then offered us £75pp off our next flight which I have accepted.
Bearing in mind that I paid about £220 for the return trip and I'd already had the outbound, plus the fact that they really looked after us (food, hotel etc) I didn't think it was worth dragging it out.

I flew with Monarch again last week and they were fine. (just to stay on topic..lol)

golf birdie
19-11-2012, 12:48
On that very subject Karina I had a 17 hour delay a few weeks ago. There was lots of talk about £400 compensation but to be honest I can see a very long wait and no guarantee of a payment.
They originally told us to claim from our insurance but I wasn't having that. They then offered us £75pp off our next flight which I have accepted.
Bearing in mind that I paid about £220 for the return trip and I'd already had the outbound, plus the fact that they really looked after us (food, hotel etc) I didn't think it was worth dragging it out.

I flew with Monarch again last week and they were fine. (just to stay on topic..lol)

put the claim in, its simple and costs nothing. The airlines factor in the cost of this. Ryanair charges 2€ per passenger per flight so work it out, 72 million passengers last year, how many claimed ?
karinagal, do you have a link for the latest ruling?

Suzanne
19-11-2012, 15:47
We had friends that flew out last night (sunday), but 45 mins into the flight they had to return dueto engine trouble. they came back to tenerife spent the night in a hotel in Santa Cruz and are due to leave later this afternoon.

karinagal
19-11-2012, 20:01
put the claim in, its simple and costs nothing. The airlines factor in the cost of this. Ryanair charges 2€ per passenger per flight so work it out, 72 million passengers last year, how many claimed ?

http://www.piblawg.co.uk/post/2012/10/23/Delayed-flight-claims-Clear-for-takeoff-(22).aspx

Hi golf birdie, I found mention of it at the above link, it's also mentioned on Which's website re passenger rights and mentioned again on Trip Advisor.

delderek
19-11-2012, 20:16
Trouble with Monarch, they are basically two companies, you have the MON flights which are Charter flights, and subject to time changes, flight consolidations etc, i.e if one flight isn't filling up it will be consolidated with another. You then have the ZB flights which are scheduled flight, and will fly even if half full, but has no frills, i.e no meals etc. But you won't find the timings changed a couple of weeks before you fly.

TOTO 99
19-11-2012, 20:29
We had friends that flew out last night (sunday), but 45 mins into the flight they had to return dueto engine trouble. they came back to tenerife spent the night in a hotel in Santa Cruz and are due to leave later this afternoon.

This story puts it into perspective for me.
I can't imagine how frightening it must be for that to happen 45 mins into your journey. Above all, they will be happy that they landed safe & sound despite being delayed.

No amount of money can compensate for the alternative.

SVFUN
19-11-2012, 21:29
Trouble with Monarch, they are basically two companies, you have the MON flights which are Charter flights, and subject to time changes, flight consolidations etc, i.e if one flight isn't filling up it will be consolidated with another. You then have the ZB flights which are scheduled flight, and will fly even if half full, but has no frills, i.e no meals etc. But you won't find the timings changed a couple of weeks before you fly.

That will do me then im ZB .no thrills just the way i like it ..Thanks for all replys to say ive never flown with them, i certainly know a lot about um now .Proper forum work :thanx:

Megaloo
19-11-2012, 21:56
I thought all Monarch flights were ZB? but stand to be corrected. Friends of mine were certainly on a ZB flight delayed 7 hours about 2 weeks ago and another friend this last friday was delayed a few hoursalso a ZB flight.

Dan747
20-11-2012, 08:16
I have often wondered if You refused to board an alternative, could You claim breach of contract, wrong Plane.?

I bet thats in the small print too.

Quite correct, all airlines and tour operators have it in their terms and conditions that they can change the aircraft and airline as required. This is from Jet2's terms and conditions:

"We do not guarantee your flight will be operated by any aircraft specified in our timetable and reserve the right to substitute aircraft as may be necessary from time to time. Sometimes, we may need to change the aircraft type or use another airline’s aircraft and in these circumstances we can not guarantee that you will always receive the same level of in-flight service and baggage allowances as Jet2.com provides."

To be honest, as long as I get there, I don't give a damn what aircraft model it is or what the brand is, as long as it's not some EU blacklisted carrier turning up then they all meet the same safety standards. You generally find some of the smaller unknown carriers providing a better service anyway.

Most airlines bar Ryanair had not factored additional costs in for the EU compensation laws upto this point, now the EU have decided against the airlines, don't be surprised to see the costs start to rise if a lot of people are putting claims in, at 400 euro per passenger, that could turn a profitable airline into a bankrupt one quite quickly, especially with the economic situation the way it is at the moment.

I thought all Monarch flights were ZB? but stand to be corrected. Friends of mine were certainly on a ZB flight delayed 7 hours about 2 weeks ago and another friend this last friday was delayed a few hoursalso a ZB flight.

Yea Monarch have two separate flight types, their scheduled service operated under the ZB callsign and their charter flights operating under MON, you will be able to see which it is by the flight number. Their charter flights are mostly filled up by tour operators selling package deals, such as their sister company Avro.

golf birdie
20-11-2012, 13:57
Most airlines bar Ryanair had not factored additional costs in for the EU compensation laws upto this point, now the EU have decided against the airlines, don't be surprised to see the costs start to rise if a lot of people are putting claims in, at 400 euro per passenger, that could turn a profitable airline into a bankrupt one quite quickly, especially with the economic situation the way it is at the moment.

it may just stop the airlines treating the public like cattle. To be left sitting at an airport for over 4 hous in this day and age is a joke and then they give you a 5 euro ticket to feed yourself which is an insult. Now they may just pull their finger out and find another plane to get people where they need to be at the time they booked to be there rather than trying to save money. The cost of this law is tiny as very few of all delays are over 3 hours. They should open the VIP areas to any passenger with a two hour + delay and allow these people a little comfort at least rather than treating them like refugees.

primrose
20-11-2012, 14:09
it may just stop the airlines treating the public like cattle. To be left sitting at an airport for over 4 hous in this day and age is a joke and then they give you a 5 euro ticket to feed yourself which is an insult. Now they may just pull their finger out and find another plane to get people where they need to be at the time they booked to be there rather than trying to save money. The cost of this law is tiny as very few of all delays are over 3 hours. They should open the VIP areas to any passenger with a two hour + delay and allow these people a little comfort at least rather than treating them like refugees.

The VIP areas aren't big enough to accommodate all the passengers from a delayed flight half of them wouldn't even get through the door, and how do you think the people that had paid for the VIP Lounge would react.There is nothing to stop you booking it yourself.

kiwiphil
20-11-2012, 14:36

Stop being insulted by the way the airline treats you and vote with your feet - fly with someone else. There are several quality airlines flying out of Santa Cruz.

And please spend a rush hour on the trains around London before stating that the airlines treat people like cattle. They've got a long way to go before they are in the same league as the rail network in the UK. I can't recall ever being offered a £5 voucher for being delayed on a train before. Or being put up in a hotel. Best you'll get is a bus that takes 5 times as long.

The airlines should be able to opt out of these compensation rules. They should have to clearly state what compensation is applicable for delays and then let people make their choices. Or offer an extra fee to provide entitlement to hotels / VIP lounges etc. I wonder how many would take it.

I am not happy that the meddling idiots in Brussels are going to make me pay more for my flights because they are going to force them to pay compensation for delays.

In case anyone wonders what happens if a route becomes unprofitable, no UK airlines now flies to Margarita. We went there a couple of times and loved it. Unfortunately, anyone with a business built around the flights that used to operate had to close.

davship
20-11-2012, 15:54
Always found Monarch fine, Nearly always the cheapest for the times and dates we fly.

warbey
20-11-2012, 20:54
Quite correct, all airlines and tour operators have it in their terms and conditions that they can change the aircraft and airline as required. This is from Jet2's terms and conditions:

"We do not guarantee your flight will be operated by any aircraft specified in our timetable and reserve the right to substitute aircraft as may be necessary from time to time. Sometimes, we may need to change the aircraft type or use another airline’s aircraft and in these circumstances we can not guarantee that you will always receive the same level of in-flight service and baggage allowances as Jet2.com provides."

To be honest, as long as I get there, I don't give a damn what aircraft model it is or what the brand is, as long as it's not some EU blacklisted carrier turning up then they all meet the same safety standards. You generally find some of the smaller unknown carriers providing a better service anyway.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -o.

You know what Youre talking about, but,, the 737 that waited 2 days for Door Mechanism Parts at TFS, then

overshot at Birmingham, a few Weeks later, doesnt fill Me with confidence.

delderek
20-11-2012, 21:07
Stop being insulted by the way the airline treats you and vote with your feet - fly with someone else. There are several quality airlines flying out of Santa Cruz.

And please spend a rush hour on the trains around London before stating that the airlines treat people like cattle. They've got a long way to go before they are in the same league as the rail network in the UK. I can't recall ever being offered a £5 voucher for being delayed on a train before. Or being put up in a hotel. Best you'll get is a bus that takes 5 times as long.

The airlines should be able to opt out of these compensation rules. They should have to clearly state what compensation is applicable for delays and then let people make their choices. Or offer an extra fee to provide entitlement to hotels / VIP lounges etc. I wonder how many would take it.

I am not happy that the meddling idiots in Brussels are going to make me pay more for my flights because they are going to force them to pay compensation for delays.

In case anyone wonders what happens if a route becomes unprofitable, no UK airlines now flies to Margarita. We went there a couple of times and loved it. Unfortunately, anyone with a business built around the flights that used to operate had to close.

Is this Michael O'Leary in disguise?

Dan747
21-11-2012, 03:01
You know what Youre talking about, but,, the 737 that waited 2 days for Door Mechanism Parts at TFS, then

overshot at Birmingham, a few Weeks later, doesnt fill Me with confidence.

To be honest, Monarch amazed me that they continued with Aurela for their summer flights for so long, the airline just wasn't providing a reliable service and nearly all the flights operated by that aircraft were delayed, I think this was purely a case of Monarch going with the cheapest rather than the best carrier for the job. Sometimes there is a reason something is so cheap and you're best just paying more!

The cost of this law is tiny as very few of all delays are over 3 hours.

The problem lies not with budgeting for the delayed flights on a daily basis, but what happens if there is a prolonged incident such as the ash cloud that grounds an entire fleet and results in a very large compensation bill. The ash cloud caused several UK tour operators to close down as they couldn't pay for the bills of all the delayed passengers, that just results in job losses and more people on the dole, unfortunately setting our economic recovery back further.

The ash cloud was the sole reason for Ryanair introducing their levy, other carriers will no doubt now follow suit to ensure they budget for such an eventuality, which will sadly result in fares increasing.

warbey
21-11-2012, 21:54
To be honest, Monarch amazed me that they continued with Aurela for their summer flights for so long, the airline just wasn't providing a reliable service and nearly all the flights operated by that aircraft were delayed, I think this was purely a case of Monarch going with the cheapest rather than the best carrier for the job. Sometimes there is a reason something is so cheap and you're best just paying more!

The problem lies not with budgeting for the delayed flights on a daily basis, but what happens if there is a prolonged incident such as the ash cloud that grounds an entire fleet and results in a very large compensation bill. The ash cloud caused several UK tour operators to close down as they couldn't pay for the bills of all the delayed passengers, that just results in job losses and more people on the dole, unfortunately setting our economic recovery back further.

The ash cloud was the sole reason for Ryanair introducing their levy, other carriers will no doubt now follow suit to ensure they budget for such an eventuality, which will sadly result in fares increasing.

Just had a look for LY SKA. Canaries back to Latvia on the 20th. Looks like a positioning Flight.?

karinagal
23-11-2012, 14:41
I've just received my EU Claims forms for our delayed flight in July. I'm sending them back recorded delivery after checking them several times over to ensure that all requested info has been supplied and all boxes ticked.. I'm not holding out much in the way of hope, but I'll keep you updated on progress... I note that they offer a flight voucher as an option in place of a cheque, and the voucher would be for the compensation amount plus an extra 10%..

murph
24-11-2012, 02:28
I've just received my EU Claims forms for our delayed flight in July. I'm sending them back recorded delivery after checking them several times over to ensure that all requested info has been supplied and all boxes ticked.. I'm not holding out much in the way of hope, but I'll keep you updated on progress... I note that they offer a flight voucher as an option in place of a cheque, and the voucher would be for the compensation amount plus an extra 10%..

Think I would rather book with someone else who is going to be on time than get an extra 10% and be delayed!!

karinagal
24-11-2012, 09:21
Think I would rather book with someone else who is going to be on time than get an extra 10% and be delayed!!

Exactly! We can't fly Monarch to TFS from any Scottish airport and there's not a chance we would risk using them from Manchester again!!

candy2411
24-11-2012, 12:47
I haven't used Monarch for some while but all the reports I've heard relating to long delays is enough to stop me even checking out their website to compare prices.

I really hope they stay in business though, and retain their MAN-TFS routes, as all passengers need them to provide competition to the other airline most of us love, and keep prices low.

karinagal
24-11-2012, 13:25
This (unfortunately) was our first flight with Monarch. I was not impressed with the seats - cramped and uncomfortable. Even if there hadn't been the long delay, it's unlikely we would choose to travel with them (on that route) again. Might be tempted on shorter flights, but not for 4.5 hours....

Fivepence
24-11-2012, 13:34
This (unfortunately) was our first flight with Monarch. I was not impressed with the seats - cramped and uncomfortable. Even if there hadn't been the long delay, it's unlikely we would choose to travel with them (on that route) again. Might be tempted on shorter flights, but not for 4.5 hours....

Karina, I didn't like the seats either........see my post#8.
I have flown several times with Monarch but prefer the seats on a Boeing to the seats on the Airbus.