PDA

View Full Version : Standing room only on Ryanair

Fivepence
08-11-2012, 20:36
I think Mr O'Leary has mentioned this before!

Standing room flights (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229668/Ryanair-chief-Michael-OLeary-calls-seatbelts-planes-useless-calls-standing-room-flights.html)

Do you think it would work?
It's only for short haul by the way.

Harmonicaman
08-11-2012, 20:41
Less time for cabin staff standing showing how to fix a seat belt...more time for cabin staff to sell you in-flight alcohol, duty free, excessively priced drinks and food etc.

Rickiebear
08-11-2012, 20:47
I've stood on a 2 hour packed train journey before now, and paid full price for a ticket. And paid more for the ticket, than a return flight to Tenerife and back.

macdonald5
08-11-2012, 20:51
Think its a joke !!!
Mr O ' Leary again taking free publicity, cannot and will not meet safety regulations

Harmonicaman
08-11-2012, 21:09
Think its a joke !!!
Mr O ' Leary again taking free publicity, cannot and will not meet safety regulations

Of course it is, but he'd still like to do away with the seat belts drill.:)

macdonald5
08-11-2012, 21:12
Of course it is, but he'd still like to do away with the seat belts drill.:)

And play that bloody flute music more often
!!

Dan747
08-11-2012, 23:42
Just a publicity stunt by O'Leary, it's illegal for starters and it would be a long time before aviation law could be changed to allow it.

princessmonika
09-11-2012, 08:16
if i can help it , i will never fly ryanair again --

Ecky Thump
09-11-2012, 08:29
if i can help it , i will never fly ryanair again --

Mr O'Leary won't be too upset, as his latest figures show that nearly 90% of his flights to popular holiday destinations are full to capacity.

I hope to be on his flights for many years to come.....No frills, offering competitive prices leaves more money in my pocket.:)

BoPeep
09-11-2012, 10:30
Oh, lets start getting at Ryanair again!!

Where else can you pay about 3.3pence per mile to travel, most cars will cost at least 16 pence for petrol alone not to mention maintenance etc.

Free advertising is something none of us will have to pay for!

All figures are rough and depend on what your car is, where you fly from etc not to mention your efficiency with a calculator.... and I think you will find that the 'flute' is a computer adapted trumpet!

tfs1
09-11-2012, 10:55
certainly is old news. maybe next week we will be hearing again about charging a £1 to go to the loo or again about taking the rear 2 loos out and adding extra rows of seats.

MOL has got what he wants - people talking about his company and it cost him nothing or maybe a 'free' lunch to some journalists.

Fivepence
09-11-2012, 17:16
certainly is old news. maybe next week we will be hearing again about charging a £1 to go to the loo or again about taking the rear 2 loos out and adding extra rows of seats.

MOL has got what he wants - people talking about his company and it cost him nothing or maybe a 'free' lunch to some journalists.

I thought I'd seen it mentioned before when I started the post.
I also vaguely remember a picture of someone stood with their backside resting in a sort of leaning bar stool, not sure though.
As you say, it's all good publicity.

tfs1
09-11-2012, 18:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLWycAPZaQ

standing room only !!!!!! - more publicity from the time it was first mentioned.

TFS1

marbro8
09-11-2012, 20:24
i must admit wearing the seat belt does seem like a daft idea, i mean while the seat belt sign comes on in turbulance the cabin staff are quick to pull you up for not wearing it but it doesn't stop them from running up and down the isle with epensive drinks/food and duty free items?, and i heard a story a few years ago that the reason they ask you to get into the breach position in an emergency is not to help save your life but to hasten your death by breaking your neck quickly to stop you suffering:wow:, i do hope i havn't put people off flying:devil2:

DJandDeid
09-11-2012, 20:38
The seat belt light is often put on to give the pilots a free run at the toilet. Can't have em in line behind the plebs!

sundownersvince
09-11-2012, 21:50
Those pilots should drink less beer.

marbro8
09-11-2012, 22:45
Those pilots should drink less beer.beer? dream on mate it's shorts and cocktails they drink on their wages ;) actually i wonder what wages they are on?:laugh:

macdonald5
09-11-2012, 22:58
beer? dream on mate it's shorts and cocktails they drink on their wages ;) actually i wonder what wages they are on?:laugh:

Might be surprised, have heard RA pilots have to pay for start of their flying time ( not cheap !!)
And when they move to another airline they are delighted !!?

karinagal
10-11-2012, 00:06
Mr O'Leary won't be too upset, as his latest figures show that nearly 90% of his flights to popular holiday destinations are full to capacity.

I hope to be on his flights for many years to come.....No frills, offering competitive prices leaves more money in my pocket.:)

I agree Ecky - after Globespan folded, Ryanair's affordable flights are probably the only reason I can afford to visit as often as I do! I would be sorely out of pocket if I had to rely on Jet2 or Thomas Cook....

marbro8
10-11-2012, 00:19
I agree Ecky - after Globespan folded, Ryanair's affordable flights are probably the only reason I can afford to visit as often as I do! I would be sorely out of pocket if I had to rely on Jet2 or Thomas Cook....we have just booked with ryanair for may, we paid £462 for return flights from birmingham for 2 adults, although the flight times are great and a lot better than monarch they are not massively cheap, but having said that we would have paid more than that for better flight times with another airline,and monarch wanted over £500 for 2.30 pm afternoon from brum and 19.30 back so a good deal realy;)

Dan747
10-11-2012, 04:44
beer? dream on mate it's shorts and cocktails they drink on their wages ;) actually i wonder what wages they are on?:laugh:

There are different payscales depending on position, but basic Ryanair First Officer pay can be upto £26,000 and Captains upto £75,000, in addition they receive sector pay of £19 per flying hour, so roughly add on an additional £17,000 per year. But also consider that the training alone will have set them back by upto £100,000, so that £26,000 pay as a top scale first officer certainly can be a struggle with a £100,000 loan to pay back.

A pilots job isn't as rosy these days, they still pay quite well, however their conditions are not so good.

You'd be surprised at the effects the brace position can have, it certainly can mean the difference between life and death in the event of a crash as you are protecting your vital organs and changing your centre of gravity, the seat belt could also save your life, without it you could end up like a squashed sardine under the seat infront of you when you are hit by upto 12G's of force.

During turbulance of course it does very little, but it's mainly to keep people in their seats so as to prevent them getting hit on the head by any cases if the overhead lockers were to open.

Ecky Thump
10-11-2012, 10:41
we have just booked with ryanair for may, we paid £462 for return flights from birmingham for 2 adults, although the flight times are great and a lot better than monarch they are not massively cheap, but having said that we would have paid more than that for better flight times with another airline,and monarch wanted over £500 for 2.30 pm afternoon from brum and 19.30 back so a good deal realy;)

We also have booked Ryanair for May 2013 .....Prestwick for 2 adults, including priority boarding, luggage £339 return, .

Flight timings are good, Departure time 6.30am....in apartment and unpacked and ready for the sun 11.30am!

Three weeks later...

Return Departure time 11.15 am.....back in armchair, watching Carol fill the washing machine 5.30pm!!!:D