PDA

View Full Version : Will there be anything happening in Costa del Silencio next week?

kathleen
14-11-2012, 10:31
We are coming over next week we got a cheapie to Costa del Silencio. We have been to Tenerife many times but not this area .Will there be anything going on next week .We can't wait for some sun .We come on the 21st-28th

chifleta
14-11-2012, 16:29
Only thing I can find is the start of the Canarian folk fest, free music every week in Cristianos and Americas... normally they have stuff on in Galletas but probably nearer to December i'm afraid, click "ampliar" on the poster to see it full size http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/fact_d4_v6.jsp?contenido=47232&nivel=1400&tipo=2

I'm sure others that are more social butterflies than me will be able to let you know anything going on in the pubs/bars in Silencio of an evening :D

delderek
14-11-2012, 18:47
A few muggings and break in's perhaps

kathleen
14-11-2012, 20:15
Oh no is it bad there ? No wonder we got it cheap.

Susief
14-11-2012, 20:40
Oh no is it bad there ? No wonder we got it cheap.

Kathleen please don't let people put you off of Silencio.
It has a good selection of bars and shops and we always visit China Town on the Main Street.
You are only a 10 min or so walk to Las Galletas which has a lovely harbour & promenade.
If you want a bit more going on then there is a regular bus service to Los Cris, PDLA. If you going to use bus might be worth investing in a bono card for cheaper travel.

andy pandy
14-11-2012, 21:24
We have been to Tenerife many many times and we have booked for one month in Costa Del Silenco as we haven't lived there before. We are going to the Santa Marta Complex so hopefully it will be nice there, Any advice would be appreciated. We ahve heard of burglaries and muggings but don't you get that in many places apart from Tenerife. You just have to be vigilant I guess. Would appeciate names of places to eat and whether good or bad. Is the bus service regular to other parts of the island or should we hire a car? How much is a taxi from the airport to Costa Del Silencio approx.

chifleta
14-11-2012, 21:54
Kathleen please don't let people put you off of Silencio.
It has a good selection of bars and shops and we always visit China Town on the Main Street.
You are only a 10 min or so walk to Las Galletas which has a lovely harbour & promenade.
If you want a bit more going on then there is a regular bus service to Los Cris, PDLA. If you going to use bus might be worth investing in a bono card for cheaper travel.

Have to agree with you.... also, like anywhere, there are pickpockets etc, you just have to be careful like you would anywhere... the bus service is good (unless there is a strike or you're in a rush LOL) and definately get a bono bus, gives you approx. 40% off regular fares. And don't just go Las Americas direction, get a bus to El Medano too, it's lovely there, although it can be a bit breezy LOL

Taxi from airport, depending on time, is about 20 to 25€ I think.

I don't eat in Silencio, but do get takeaways from a couple of chinese restaurants there :D .... Galletas is a lovely fishing village with plenty of eateries, some more Canarian than others, plus shops and harbour/beach is nice (although pebbly, some people don't like that, but if you like to go snorkelling you see more sea life when there isn't so much sand LOL)....

If you're on a budget and want cheap and cheerful menu (under a tenner), there is a place in Galletas, can't think of the name now, Vitaminas i think, anyway, it's the pedestratian street running down from the BBV Bank...the Chinese lady that runs it (with her hubby) is the sister of the bloke that runs the Peking Garden restaurant in Silencio (along with his wife) if that makes sense. Nice friendly people, i've know them quite a long time. Also along the sea-front, the longest running restaurant is right on the corner nearest to the harbour, called La Marina.... yummy, i've got the munchies, thinking about chipirones now (fried baby squid.... ņom ņom). Pink Parrot is always popular (again along the promenade) with the Brits, although I haven't eaten there for a long time, so don't know how good with the current owners. The same with anywhere, if it's busy with Brits and locals, then it's good food and/or reasonably priced.

Just be vigilant like you would be anywhere... have a lovely holiday :)

candy2411
15-11-2012, 08:51
Just come back from a quick trip and all in Silencio is good.

Very little nightlife but great places to eat and just a quick taxi ride back if you want to go for entertainment in Los Cris. The Albatros is a great English style pub, lots of friendly locals and holidaymakers.Great food and breakfasts at Coral Bar and Stellas at Coral Mar just to name a few.

We were coming in at 2am most nights and yes, you have to be careful wherever you are , but we felt completely safe and heard of nothing crime related at all.

Have a great holiday!

stupot
15-11-2012, 13:59
Ive been going to costa del silencio for nineteen years now i like it that much i brought a apartment there 6 years ago at parque don jose not far from santa marta now i go 3 to 4 times ayear good bars good placers to eat and bus on your door step to everywhere taxi cost 20 euros from airport

atlantico
15-11-2012, 18:18
hey Stupot - we're neighbours - nearly ! Lived/holidayed Silencio 10 years and never seen / heard of problems that most non-Silencio residents say about the area. Maybe they are still hearing of troubles from many years ago when there were still tourists in the area who were often targets of thieves/pickpockets etc. Now that there are not many holidaymakers in the area, neither are there the thieves etc. The only troubles in Silencio are the same as those elsewhere - opportunistic thieves.

chifleta
15-11-2012, 18:45
hey Stupot - we're neighbours - nearly ! Lived/holidayed Silencio 10 years and never seen / heard of problems that most non-Silencio residents say about the area. Maybe they are still hearing of troubles from many years ago when there were still tourists in the area who were often targets of thieves/pickpockets etc. Now that there are not many holidaymakers in the area, neither are there the thieves etc. The only troubles in Silencio are the same as those elsewhere - opportunistic thieves.

I don't live in Silencio, but live near, but I know people who've had their business broken into, cars broken into, and apartment broken into ... the only hearsay through here actually, is the pickpockets and muggings, though I haven't heard much over the last few months (only a gym-mates apartment that was broken into in ummm Residencial Atlantico :whistle:) - but I do agree that this is happening everywhere, you have to be vigilant, lock up your properties as best you can, and when you're out and about , keep an eye on who is around you - when I used to walk back from the gym of an evening i'd never wear both my earplugs in for my MP3, i'd always have one ear open for anyone walking behind me - I live in Fraile and have never had any trouble, maybe because I put my nasty b*tch expression on my face LOL ... and if you've been coming here a long time, you'll know Fraile has a bad reputation too, but to tell the truth, in the all years i've lived here, I've heard hardly any problems... but like Silencio, it depends which part - actually, like anywhere in the world nowadays.

atlantico
15-11-2012, 20:14
bars - have great big flat screen TV's on display, just asking to be nicked. Apartment owners leave doors/windows open during day/night (yes, it still happens). Holidaymakers walk around with all their holiday cash in their bags - yes they still do ! People 'forget' to lock their car doors after them. Some people, women as well, get tanked up in bars and stroll home after 2am. This happens a lot, everywhere - it's life. Sometimes is good to compare areas with the equal from the UK. Do you ever hear in Tenerife that someone was beat up in the street for no other reason than 'fun' ?

Greg
15-11-2012, 20:58
mmm most posts on this thread seem to convey the same false message, just be careful, just be vigilant.. just like everywhere! Er no. Not just like everywhere at all. Especially not everywhere in Tenerife. The crime statistics in Silencio are way higher than the main tourist zones here. There are some good restaurants in the area but in the main it feels like what it is; a tourist resort built in the 70's and got left there. Lack of maintenance in the area has lead to ultra cheap rents which in turn has brought in the kind of tenants that can only afford ultra cheap rents. Local residents have been petitioning for years for a greater police presence because of the high crime rate. If you are in a position to pay a few quid extra and get an upgrade to Los Cris, Las Americas or Costa Adeje it would be money well spent.

chifleta
15-11-2012, 21:18
bars - have great big flat screen TV's on display, just asking to be nicked. Apartment owners leave doors/windows open during day/night (yes, it still happens). Holidaymakers walk around with all their holiday cash in their bags - yes they still do ! People 'forget' to lock their car doors after them. Some people, women as well, get tanked up in bars and stroll home after 2am. This happens a lot, everywhere - it's life. Sometimes is good to compare areas with the equal from the UK. Do you ever hear in Tenerife that someone was beat up in the street for no other reason than 'fun' ?

exactly.... i definately feel safer here than in the UK :) hence i've stayed here for 20 years LOL

stupot
15-11-2012, 21:25
hi there atlantico back there at xmas new year can't wait pop in our place for a drink or 3

chifleta
15-11-2012, 21:41
mmm most posts on this thread seem to convey the same false message, just be careful, just be vigilant.. just like everywhere! Er no. Not just like everywhere at all. Especially not everywhere in Tenerife. The crime statistics in Silencio are way higher than the main tourist zones here. There are some good restaurants in the area but in the main it feels like what it is; a tourist resort built in the 70's and got left there. Lack of maintenance in the area has lead to ultra cheap rents which in turn has brought in the kind of tenants that can only afford ultra cheap rents. Local residents have been petitioning for years for a greater police presence because of the high crime rate. If you are in a position to pay a few quid extra and get an upgrade to Los Cris, Las Americas or Costa Adeje it would be money well spent.

:twak: sounds like the Bronx :neener::gun::smackbutt::poke::argue::grufalo: ..... so if that's your thoughts on Silencio, so what's your opinion on El Fraile :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Kathleen, i'm 50/50 on Silencio, i've never fancied living there basically because there are a lot of Brits LOL i've heard varying amounts of crime over the years, the same as the village I live in (which was - possibly still is - nicknamed "little Beruit"), but personally, I think there is no more or no less than other areas - i've also recently heard of a lot of break ins around the Golf del Sur/Amarilla Golf areas - I always say to my son, be careful, and don't stare at any British drunks (my son is Spanish born) as they'd sooner hit you than look at you.... that's my opinion :D

There are nice places to go around the area, if you want the typical Brits on tour booze up hol, then yes, Veronicas in Las Americas is the place to go, if you are very posh and want to go to posh restaurants, try La Estancia in Chayofa (NOT... waste of money, crap service) - if you want to tour the island a bit, you've got the main bus stop right next to where you're staying, you can eat out at some nice places in Silencio or Galletas, even El Fraile.....

If I were you i'd basically arrive where you've booked and give it a go and then you can give your own opinion :)

atlantico
15-11-2012, 22:44
Locally, we hear more about crime and theft in Amarillo Golf and Golf del Sur than in Silencio.

candy2411
16-11-2012, 10:58
I come over 6 or 7 times a year as my apartment is in Silencio, I find it great as if I don't hire a car the bus service is excellent.I'm usually with a friend or family member, but do come at least once or twice on my own, and the great thing is I always feel safe.There are plenty of people around,all very friendly and I have no concerns whatsover.

Had a trip round the Golf area last week when I was over with a friend and it was deserted, hardly saw a soul, so I would be apprehensive staying there on my own.

atlantico
16-11-2012, 11:25
ha ! You , and me, must live in the 'nice' part !

Anyone and everyone who lives/stays in Silencio will say how safe and secure they feel. Yes, they'll admit there are minor crime problems, just like anywhere else.

The biggest problem is that Silencio is a pretty close knit community and if/when something happens EVERYONE knows/hears about it. Worse still, it gets exaggerated via the 'grape-vine' method of gossip. In larger areas, especially in the UK, people just don't get to hear of a crime that's happened down the street or around the corner. So this makes people think that a particular area is bad.

There is crime everywhere, but its a persons natural ability to claim that it doesn't happen where they live, but does elsewhere else, that baffles me !

candy2411
16-11-2012, 12:34
You're so right, the community in Silencio is great, everyone looks out for everyone and although I'm not a resident a lot of people know me and I have made friends over the years.I may not see them every time I come over but its great to know I could rely on them if I needed anything.There's nothing special about me,it's just the way it is there.

There are lots of people over now for the winter who come back year after year, and quite honestly they wouldn't return would they if they didn't feel safe.

I could rent my apartment out ten times over for the winter months if I so chose to....I don't because it's my home from home and I like the flexibility of being able to come out whenever I choose:)