PDA

View Full Version : Internet Is it a good idea to buy a dongle with unlimited bandwidth?

tub
16-11-2012, 21:32
HI i have made up my mined to bring my lap top with me at christmas and will be going to a1 computor shop i will be buying a dongle and 3 weeks of unlimited usage will this be very expensive and do you get good speeds and will it work inside the apartment it would be nice to know if all will be well before i go thanks

TenerifeTeddy
16-11-2012, 21:40
Just be aware that "unlimited usage" is not what you may think. You will get a data package of say 1Gb or whatever the agreement is. Once you go over that amount the connection may not stop, but the speed will reduce to 128kb about 3 x dial up and all but useless.

The connection speed of the dongle depends on signal strengh, whether you are in a 3.5, 3, or 2G area, and how busy the network is. Speeds can vary from less than 1Mb up to 7mb if you are very lucky. The average is somewhere in between.

tub
19-11-2012, 21:11
thanks teddy will make a few enquiries in the shop before paying

penelope pitstop
19-11-2012, 22:18
Where are u staying as some places now have free wi-fi? Our hotel in Las Am does but it is an unsecure connection. I think there are now quite a few bars & restaurants that also offer free wi-fi, so not really worth wasting your money on a dongle.