PDA

View Full Version : Internet New SIM card for mobile modem won't connect

1247sandra
17-11-2012, 14:02
Was wondering if anyone had had this problem.i had a Vodafone mobile modem for years with a contract,then I cancelled the contract end of April and when I returned last week decided I would buy a pay as u go sim for it.The girl in the shop put the sim into the modem and I brought it back and put it in the USB and the green light flashed ok.Then I clicked on Vodafone connect box and clicked on dial and it won't connect.I have the new number and pin etc but it does not come up on screen asking for it.Help!

warbey
17-11-2012, 20:18
Sims usually only work on a particular Networked Phone as You probably know.

I am no Expert, so I advise asking Slodgedad who may..

TenerifeTeddy
17-11-2012, 20:47
Assuming you are using a Vodafone sim in a Vodafone dongle and you are using it on the same machine then the settings from the previous sim will most likely still be stored on the PC settings.

You need to remove the dongle, uninstall the program and make sure the folder is deleted in Program Files, restart the PC and then reinsert the dongle and reinstall the software. It should then connect OK.

1247sandra
18-11-2012, 12:14
Thanks for your help.I have got the program up from the control panel but I have two things on it,one says Vodafone Mobile Broadband Lite and the other Vodafone Mobile Connect Modem.Do I uninstall both program's?I don't have Any instructions for the modem now they were thrown away some years ago.

delderek
18-11-2012, 12:39
Thanks for your help.I have got the program up from the control panel but I have two things on it,one says Vodafone Mobile Broadband Lite and the other Vodafone Mobile Connect Modem.Do I uninstall both program's?I don't have Any instructions for the modem now they were thrown away some years ago.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, and yes I uninstalled both. Then reboot before you plug in the Dongle. (give it time to reload its own software) Unfortunately it worked but not properly, until I did a registry clean with Ccleaner, then another reboot and it was perfect.

TenerifeTeddy
18-11-2012, 20:14
Yes uninstall both, you have the software and sim details for both dongles saved on the system and they will conflict and not let you connect. Once both are uninstalled, reinstall the latest one and you should be OK. The software is on the dongle and should start a self install once inserted, or you may get asked if you want to run vmblite.exe. if so click yes.

1247sandra
19-11-2012, 10:09
Thanks for the advice but I don't have two dongles just the same dongle but a new SIM card .Will just uninstall the Vodafone program and not the modem program and see if that works if not will uninstall the other.

Susief
19-11-2012, 13:38
Thanks for the advice but I don't have two dongles just the same dongle but a new SIM card .Will just uninstall the Vodafone program and not the modem program and see if that works if not will uninstall the other.

Sandra just a thought, is it a laptop and have you switched off wifi?
Also had similar problem with Vodafons dongle. I would uninstall both Vodafone program's, reboot computer and put dongle back in computer, it should reinstall itself.

1247sandra
19-11-2012, 16:04
Have uninstalled everything and done as you say Tenerife Teddy and dongle has a green flashing light,it recognises the Vodafone connect box and I click on it and up comes the Connect Vodafone Connect box but nothing is in the Dial box,dialling from states My Location and if I then click on dial nothing.Have tried putting the number of the telephone as on the card the sim came with but again failed to connect comes on.It has never come on screen asking for a pin or anything.Probably is simple but it's driving me mad as I cannot Skype from my ipad or Pc!

TenerifeTeddy
19-11-2012, 17:20
I am working in the shop Tuesday - Friday 0930-1330, can you bring it down with your laptop and IŽll have a look at it and see if I can sort it out for you.

1247sandra
19-11-2012, 17:26
Yes I will bring it down on Wednesday.

delderek
19-11-2012, 19:45
Have uninstalled everything and done as you say Tenerife Teddy and dongle has a green flashing light,it recognises the Vodafone connect box and I click on it and up comes the Connect Vodafone Connect box but nothing is in the Dial box,dialling from states My Location and if I then click on dial nothing.Have tried putting the number of the telephone as on the card the sim came with but again failed to connect comes on.It has never come on screen asking for a pin or anything.Probably is simple but it's driving me mad as I cannot Skype from my ipad or Pc!

Mmm, you don't have to put anything in the dial box. I'm sure TenerifeTeddy will sort it quickly

warbey
19-11-2012, 19:50
I'll be interested what was done to fix it.?

1247sandra
22-11-2012, 17:04
Been to witzend today and Tenerife Teddy tried for hours to rectify the situation but looks like a new dongle is in order plus a clean up of my computer!I am so grateful to him for spending the time on it,top man!

Susief
22-11-2012, 18:54
Been to witzend today and Tenerife Teddy tried for hours to rectify the situation but looks like a new dongle is in order plus a clean up of my computer!I am so grateful to him for spending the time on it,top man!

Well at least you tried. I would highly recommend the Orange dongle.
We bought one 3 months ago for 35e with credit on and the signal is much better than Vodafone.