PDA

View Full Version : Property Where should we live? On a residential or holiday complex?

danno
17-11-2012, 20:46
Im about to choose an apartment & live in Los Christianos, but am struggling to decide on whether I should choose a residential or holiday complex. I wondered if any members might be able to share their experience of the pros & cons of each option.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Fivepence
17-11-2012, 21:00
Im about to choose an apartment & live in Los Christianos, but am struggling to decide on whether I should choose a residential or holiday complex. I wondered if any members might be able to share their experience of the pros & cons of each option.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Just guessing Danno but I would have thought it would be a bit noisier on a holiday complex and with the frequent change of holidaymakers, you don't know what your neighbours will be like one week to the next.

penelope pitstop
17-11-2012, 21:00
Personally I would go for a residential complex, it should be much quieter without the constant stream of tourists.

tfs1
17-11-2012, 21:36
I guess it depends on your requirements.

Tourist complexes offer the opportunity to see and talk to loads of people (if you want to) and they may only stay for a week or two - yes they may sometimess come home at 0300 and due to drink may knock on the wrong door !

Residential ones are likely to be quieter but could provide a permanant neighbour(s) from hell and they will may have a dog that barks and poos on the terrace !!

chifleta
17-11-2012, 22:23
but could provide a permanant neighbour(s) from hell and they will may have a dog that barks and poos on the terrace !!

and this is not pleasant............ the bark or the poo LOL ... or you could have neighbours that just love to play (loudly) regeamierda, cough, I mean reggeton music over and over and over.....

I'd pick residential over holiday, mainly because with residential you'll have a presidente de la comunidad who you can complain to when needs must :D

cainaries
17-11-2012, 22:26
Did you mean to rent or to buy? Just asking.

casabonny
17-11-2012, 22:27
If you are planning on living here then personally I would say avoid Los Cris and Las Americas simply because its a tourist based area. Choose somewhere out of town so to speak where there are more full time residents .

tfs1
18-11-2012, 00:03
I'd pick residential over holiday, mainly because with residential you'll have a presidente de la comunidad who you can complain to when needs must

Tourist registered complexes also have a presidente de la comunidad - well ours does and from what I hear the complex has a little more atmosphere than local residential locations.

Its what you want / dont want. Both satisfy different peoples demands.

chifleta
18-11-2012, 14:44
Tourist registered complexes also have a presidente de la comunidad - well ours does and from what I hear the complex has a little more atmosphere than local residential locations.

Its what you want / dont want. Both satisfy different peoples demands.

True.... i'm probably the total opposite to the majority.... I don't want atmosphere, I want total silence LOL ... only problem with that is I need a lot of money to buy a big enough plot of land to put a little hut on LOL

marbro8
18-11-2012, 15:33
to be honest it doesn't really matter if it's a residential or holiday complex because it doesn't stop people who brought the apartment letting it out to holiday makers anyway, to some peoples annoyance:D

danno
18-11-2012, 21:46
Great info guys, Thanks.
lots of points I hadnt thought of. for me its a tricky choice. Will need to sleep on it some more

Jac
18-11-2012, 22:39
When I lived in Los Cristianos, albeit a very long time ago, I lived in Summerland and Cristian Sur, both of which had both tourists and residents. There was always a security guard about at night to keep it quiet and I loved living there. I'd definately rent before you buy though, visit complexes and ask around, there will always be someone willing to tell you the ins and outs of the complex ;-)

marbro8
18-11-2012, 23:19
Great info guys, Thanks.
lots of points I hadnt thought of. for me its a tricky choice. Will need to sleep on it some morehave a look on cim's or young golfer's website, they are both estate agents on here with a wealth of experience and maybe able to give you more info, i would post a link but i am not that clever lol

timmylish
18-11-2012, 23:37
My old nutmeg, language! If you are even slightly able to converse in Spanish then, residential. Otherwise touristic. Reasons are simple. If you cannot speak Spanish how do you deal with AGM,s and the like. These are important on residential as they should be safeguarding your investment. If you are on a touristic there will always be someone who can translate for you!

Fivepence
19-11-2012, 01:39
have a look on cim's or young golfer's website, they are both estate agents on here with a wealth of experience and maybe able to give you more info, i would post a link but i am not that clever lol

cim's website (http://tenerifeestateagents.net/)

young golfer's website (http://propertiesareus.com/)

Loaded
19-11-2012, 09:10
Residential all day

danno
19-11-2012, 13:50
In answer to a couple of points, the question was regarding where to buy (not rent) But I guess that poses the question, why dont I just rent on a holiday complex first & then if I find I like the atmosphere then buy on one of them. I have spent last 6 years in a house in middle of countryside. Very quite. Although it has its advantages, I fancy a new chapter in life & maybe the frequent change of neighbours on holiday complex could make life interesting!
I presume marbro8 is right, but holiday rentals on residential should be minimal, right?

Loaded
19-11-2012, 13:54
holiday rentals on a residential site are illegal , that doesn't always mean minimal.....

If you're buying to live somewhere I'd save yourself a headache and buy on a residential complex, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your years moaning because the owners who let out via the onsite agent keep voting in loads of things that you residents don't want or need, and why do you have to pay for it , blah blah.....

at least if you buy on a residential complex all (or 90%) of the owners will be sharing the same interests so there will be much less conflict about upgrades etc.

chifleta
19-11-2012, 14:12
In answer to a couple of points, the question was regarding where to buy (not rent) But I guess that poses the question, why dont I just rent on a holiday complex first & then if I find I like the atmosphere then buy on one of them. I have spent last 6 years in a house in middle of countryside. Very quite. Although it has its advantages, I fancy a new chapter in life & maybe the frequent change of neighbours on holiday complex could make life interesting!
I presume marbro8 is right, but holiday rentals on residential should be minimal, right?

i'd definately rent for 3 to 6 months before you even consider buying, that gives you plenty of time to look around different areas, different complexes, and see what you prefer, busy touristic area, or a bit away from it, but within bus/driving distance if you want the hustle bustle.... i've lived in Cristianos in noisy residential part, i've lived in Garachico, veryyyyy quiet, i've lived in Las Galletas and it was always noisy, mind you that was mainly before the noisy moped laws were changed.... i've never lived on a complex though, and I don't think I ever will, unless I have a front line penthouse :D

Malteser Monkey
19-11-2012, 14:54

young golfer's website (http://propertiesareus.com/)

dunno where he get's the "young " from ?:cheeky::whistle::respect:

Fivepence
19-11-2012, 15:19
dunno where he get's the "young " from ?:cheeky::whistle::respect:

Wasn't there once a member on the forum named 'Old Golfer' MM?

Sir Old Golfer (http://golfing-tenerife.com/about-2/)

Don't know what happened to him.

Sorry, I know I've gone off topic. :sorry:

Malteser Monkey
19-11-2012, 15:29
Wasn't there once a member on the forum named 'Old Golfer' MM?

Sir Old Golfer (http://golfing-tenerife.com/about-2/)

Don't know what happened to him.

Sorry, I know I've gone off topic. :sorry:

Yes that's right - I did ask the question some time back

bonitatime
19-11-2012, 17:46
Hes still around as I see comments on FB sometimes

marbro8
19-11-2012, 19:47

young golfer's website (http://propertiesareus.com/)your a star:bowdown::wink:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I presume marbro8 is right, but holiday rentals on residential should be minimal, right?you would presume so mate but not always the case, the rules are that you can only rent to friends and family but a lot of owners have taken this to a new level and some have been known to abuse it;), the complex we rent on (from my welsh cousin;)) is residential but i would say about 70% of them are rented to a wide variety of family and friends;)

danno
19-11-2012, 20:25
Cheers for that info Marbro8, I suppose the law itself, lends itself well to being open to abuse. I mean its pretty hard for the powers that be to know if you are renting to Jo bloggs or aunty mary. (Unless u r using internet adds that show a full calender etc) Sounds to me that its only a matter of time before the law is revised in some way. I think a more sensible approach for me, is to do what was advised on this thread, & find a property I like at right price & then ask around about the quality of the actual resort. As I guess there are lively fun residential & holiday complexes. Thanks again

marbro8
19-11-2012, 20:30
Cheers for that info Marbro8, I suppose the law itself, lends itself well to being open to abuse. I mean its pretty hard for the powers that be to know if you are renting to Jo bloggs or aunty mary. (Unless u r using internet adds that show a full calender etc) Sounds to me that its only a matter of time before the law is revised in some way. I think a more sensible approach for me, is to do what was advised on this thread, & find a property I like at right price & then ask around about the quality of the actual resort. As I guess there are lively fun residential & holiday complexes. Thanks againas i said mate have a word with c.i.m or young golfer you won't go far wrong;)

cainaries
19-11-2012, 20:37
If you find something you like why not ask if you can rent it for 3-6 months with a view to buying at the end of the Contract? No obligation on either side etc etc.

danno
07-12-2012, 22:11
Good idea cainaries , Will try that if the opportunity arises.