PDA

View Full Version : Television Change of VPN service provider for Tenerife Forum members

admin
17-11-2012, 21:15
As many people know, as they have signed up, we had organised a considerable discount for forum members for a VPN service provided by IAPS Security Services. Unfortunately, over the past year, what started out being a good service has turned into something we are not willing to promote to our members any more, as the customer service is simply not adequate, so we have sought an alternative provider for VPN services.

It so happens that one of our forum members who does a lot of unpaid technical work for the forum, also has connections to excellent VPN service providers. During a recent outage of VPN services via IAPS, he sought to get the connection fixed, but received a frosty reception from IAPS support, so moved the clients to other services at a cost to himself, but has kept a good service intact.

The member that is now running our VPN service is Pooh. Pooh knows his stuff. The www.TVinTenerife.com website is now run by Pooh, and any purchases of VPNs made through this site will be eligible for a forum discount using the discount code TFVPN2013, just as before.

So, if you are looking for a VPN provider in order to have a UK, Swedish, German or French IP address which you can use to access TV services online, then please use the www.TVinTenerife.com website and get your Tenerife Forum members discount and be assured of a good service from Pooh.

The Tenerife Forum never recommends a service to its members that we do not believe is beneficial to our members, which is why we are now disassociating the VPN service with IAPS after the deteriation of service from them.

timmylish
18-11-2012, 02:07
Well, all that i can say is that at the time of this arrangement I told everyone who listened that the service which I get from my VPN provider was far beeter that the one recommended! I don,t want to raise old argumenets but my provider gives you access to various countries VPN,s at the price of one and allows you two users on the same a/c at the same time!
You pays yer money and take yer chances but mine has never let me down in ywears of usage (I happen to know the owner of the service but this does not entitle me to exceptional attention even if I wanted it!)
http://vpnuk.net/
Have a look and you,ll not be disappointed USA one is my favourite.

admin
18-11-2012, 10:59
Then why bring up old arguments then? Pooh is now running things for us, and is very credible too, so it's unfair to suggest otherwise.

IAPS were excellent at the time, and gave forum members a good price too, but I think over-saturation and concentration on getting new clients rather than keeping old ones happy have been their downfall and over the past couple of years it's gone steadily downhill to a point where we are no longer comfortable recommending their service to forum members, so have sought and found a much better solution. One we have full control over.

Any recommendations of VPN providers are welcome, but only the www.tvintenerife.com carries an exclusive extra discount for forum members and Pooh is ensuring the service remains reliable for members.

timmylish
18-11-2012, 13:26
Why bring up old arguements. For the very simple reason that you dug your head in the sand the last time, refused to consider alternatives, jumped at the first offer of financial supposrt, and that,s just for starters. If I,ve touched a raw nerve then, good. It sometimes don,t harm to take people to task rather than sheepishly accept everything as fact.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Oh and I,ve nowt against Pooh. Don,t know him don,t know his expertise.

admin
18-11-2012, 19:08
Why bring up old arguements. For the very simple reason that you dug your head in the sand the last time, refused to consider alternatives, jumped at the first offer of financial supposrt, and that,s just for starters. If I,ve touched a raw nerve then, good. It sometimes don,t harm to take people to task rather than sheepishly accept everything as fact.What are you going on about? I think you may have made more out of it that we did because everything you have written in your post is news to us. No nerve has been touched on our part... maybe one has on yours ??? What financial support? What heads in sand? You are making no sense at all.

The forum had a service provider that not only provided a good service at the time, but also was prepared to offer a discount to members when approached. You used a different service provider, which did not offer a forum discount. That is all. Your provider is good too, no doubt.

Your provider is £5.99 a month. The IAPS service, and indeed Pooh's is 4.61€ a month with forum discount. The choice is, of course, the customer's - however if the forum recommends a service, we endeavour to make sure our members always receive a good service that we feel we are able to recommend without reservation.

If we do feel that a company is not providing a service we can recommend any longer, as is the case here, we will find an alternative that will not inconvenience or leave any member out of pocket. I don't understand why this is a problem for you?

Forum members can choose whether they use your provider, the one we arranged a discount with, or any one of the 100s of providers on the net.

The only reason, as stated, that the forum has sought an alternative is because the level of service from the original provider has since deteriorated and our members deserve better.

This has nothing to do with whether your VPN supplier is better or worse and never was. I'm sure it's great and they provide a good service. Thank you for recommending them :)
Pooh is also very good at what he does and I'm sure if you, or any members have any questions about it you can PM him directly.

As far as the forum is concerned, after the deterioration of the IAPS service, we'd prefer that the people our members were dealing with were closer to home, as there are still outstanding accounts with IAPS that Pooh has moved over to his own server at no cost to the members, but at cost to himself, so his actions should really be praised rather than criticised.

Any renewals will be renewed onto his servers rather than IAPS', and that's really all this announcement was about. Just to clarify that, so that members know, and there is transparency.

Pooh
18-11-2012, 19:38
I could also mention here that existing - or returning - customers get 25% on renewals. That's ~ €4 per month for a yearly sub.
Current customers get the needed info when it's time to renew. Any previous customer who wants to return, just PM me for the Discount code.
New subscribers from the forum get 15%, via the discount code TFVPN2013, as mentioned above.

For more details and/or questions, please see the TVinTenerife (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?22086-TVinTenerife-com-VPN-services-Unblock-UK-(or-US-DE-FR-or-SE)-Internet-TV)Thread.

timmylish
18-11-2012, 23:12
Admin. Thanks for the response, tetchy or otherwise. I,ve said what i wanted to and no doubt you feel the same.

ukmobil
26-11-2012, 10:21
Pooh - Can you really get TV Catchup with the service you supply? I understood that they block their output based on ISPs and only UK identified providers are accomodated.

As an observation - SeeSaw have been closed for some time now.

Pooh
26-11-2012, 10:38
Pooh - Can you really get TV Catchup with the service you supply? I understood that they block their output based on ISPs and only UK identified providers are accomodated.

As an observation - SeeSaw have been closed for some time now.

ukmobil - I'll need to check the deal with TV Catchup. At least I haven't had any reports that it doesn't work.
Not sure if I'll have tome to check in the next couple of hours, and after that I'll be offline for the rest of the week for reasons I don't need to discuss here. Support questions via the website will be responded to by my colleagues, but I won't be able to respond in threads or to PM:s here at the forum for the rest of this week.
Thanks for the note about SeeSaw; That link has been there since the site was created, and I didn't think about it.

walesonzy
17-12-2013, 10:26
Hi,
I sent you an email a few days ago saying that I had bought a new Samsung Smart TV with built in Wifi and I was not getting a very good reception, since that time I have purchased a booster for the Wifi, do you now think if
I paid for one months trial that I would have any problems connecting to your VPN service?
Regards
Peter

Pooh
17-12-2013, 17:15
walesonzy - Sorry for the slow response; I'm usually quicker via email since it may take a few hours before I see a post here.
I hope you received my response to you email a few days ago?
The problem with Smart TV's and VPN, is that Smart TV's in themselves don't have support for VPN. You can't configure the VPN connection directly in the TV. A workaround is to use a router with support for VPN, but the types of VPN that are available for use in routers, don't have very good performance over long distances.
Another workaround is to use a PC as gateway, where the PC connects to VPN, and then the VPN connection is "shared" on your local network, and the TV use that as gateway to Internet.
That is a bit of a complex setup, but if you want it, we can guide you through the setup of such a solution. But the bottom line is unfortunately that VPN isn't the ideal solution for connecting Smart TV's.

However, we're working on a new service, which will be launched in Q1 next year, which is DNS based instead of using VPN. That will be ideal to use with your Samsung Smart TV. Once configured, the TV will basically work just the same as if you were in the UK, and unlike VPN there is no loss of bandwidth. (With VPN you lose bandwidth due to the encrypted tunnel - and unfortunately those who need the bandwidth the most - those with slow and/or unstable connections - lose the most. With the DNS based system there is no such loss.)
It's not quite ready yet, but we hope to have launched the DNS service within the next couple of months.

Best Regards,

Goran /Pooh

walesonzy
07-01-2014, 11:18
Hi Pooh,
When do you think that the new system that works with a Samsung Smart TV will be ready?
We are not great TV watchers, so I don't want to pay out 450 euros for a box, any other way of receiving the basic English TV channels
We have tried BBC I Player and FilmON without much success.
Walesonzy

Pooh
07-01-2014, 11:44
Hi Pooh,
When do you think that the new system that works with a Samsung Smart TV will be ready?
We are not great TV watchers, so I don't want to pay out 450 euros for a box, any other way of receiving the basic English TV channels
We have tried BBC I Player and FilmON without much success.
Walesonzy

I can't say 100%, but it should definitely be ready this Quarter, as I wrote. It takes quite a bit of detective work to get all services to work the way they should, and we've also seen some weird behavior in Samsung Smart Hub, even when the same TV service works fine with other systems. But hopefully we should have it up and running in the end of February or early March.

Steve 4
19-01-2014, 15:39
I can't say 100%, but it should definitely be ready this Quarter, as I wrote. It takes quite a bit of detective work to get all services to work the way they should, and we've also seen some weird behavior in Samsung Smart Hub, even when the same TV service works fine with other systems. But hopefully we should have it up and running in the end of February or early March.
Pooh - Thanks for the estimate on when you think you'll have DNS working. I'm intending to give Overplay a go in the interim on a month by month trial and then switch across to your offering when you're ready, unless you've got a better suggestion?

Pooh
19-01-2014, 18:18
Pooh - Thanks for the estimate on when you think you'll have DNS working. I'm intending to give Overplay a go in the interim on a month by month trial and then switch across to your offering when you're ready, unless you've got a better suggestion?

That makes sense. Then you can see how it works, and if it's the type of service you need. Tbh they are probably offering a better system than we can do initially, since they've done it for a couple of years already and probably have gotten past any initial issues they may have had.
But when we're ready with our system, we're initially going to offer the service with a free month or two, to get as many as possible to test it and find any bugs.

Steve 4
19-01-2014, 18:38
Cheers, Pooh. I've given the Samsung Smart TV route a crack, but it's not so great, generally. The positive outcome, however, is the outstanding support I'm getting from several FilmOn tech guys all working on my Smart Hub issues (can't yet confirm if they're unique to me or general across the Samsung range). Perhaps not specifically for DNS, but give me a shout if you could do with a helpful contact or two at FilmOn.

Desperate Dan
23-04-2014, 18:50
Hi.
On the TVinTenerife, FAQ page, "How do I set up an account for this service?"....
the "contact us" link is throwing up

"There is 1 error :
01.Category does not exist"

Regards, Dan

tub
21-08-2018, 20:37
someone on here used to let you go on a vpn site for a fee is this still possible the threads are very old now could someone enlighten me please

Steve 4
21-08-2018, 21:05
someone on here used to let you go on a vpn site for a fee is this still possible the threads are very old now could someone enlighten me please

Sorry tub, I don't know if it is still offered. If it doesn't work out for you, I can add that I have since trialled SmartDNSProxy & Getflix as well as Overplay. All three have worked well for me and have had helpful support. Good luck with it any which way.

tub
22-08-2018, 19:18
will try them thanks