PDA

View Full Version : A one-week old baby died after a dog bite

Carol55
21-11-2012, 12:57
A one-week-old baby boy has died after being bitten by a family pet in Shropshire.

West Mercia Police said the child died in hospital on Tuesday morning after paramedics were called to an address in Woodside Road, Ketley, near Telford.

Initial indications suggested the boy died after being bitten by the dog - a family-owned Jack Russell. Efforts were by the ambulance crew at the scene and on the way to the hospital to save the child.

The animal has now been put down.

Sky's David Crabtree said the family were "utterly devastated" by what had happened.

Police are continuing to investigate the precise circumstances of the boy's death as they await the result of a post-mortem.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Jamieson said: "Our investigation is ongoing but it appears that the baby died as a result of a dog bite.

"The dog in question was a family pet - a Jack Russell - and this animal has been put down.

"A post-mortem will be taking place to establish the exact cause of this baby's death but at this stage it does appear to be a tragic accident.

"With an investigation ongoing, there is no further comment I can make on this matter apart from to say that all our thoughts are with the family of the baby at this extremely sad time."

The emergency services were called to the house just before 8am and the boy was taken to Princess Royal Hospital in Telford.

9PLUS
21-11-2012, 13:18
That's really horrible news - I'm so protective against our little one, i wouldn't even dream about letting her near any dog at all, but your family pet and a little thing like that, i guess/understand you just wouldn't think it possible.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

but thinking about it Jack Russells can be very snappy and protective of their owners, a new body in the house could cause a envy problem, more than lightly whats happened in this case.....just guessing.

TOTO 99
21-11-2012, 16:05
How many more children must face this terrible death?

I guess we were all expecting this to be another pitbull story but for once it was a little dog. Fact is, it's not the dog's fault. The blame lies with whoever put them together in the first place.

No matter how "daft as a brush" we think dogs are we can't know what goes on in their heads.

Another sad day for parents and dog owners alike...will it be the last?.......I doubt it.

marbro8
21-11-2012, 19:22
my sister and brother in law have had a lovely clever border collie for about 10 years now, she really is the most intelegent and lovable dog i have ever seen, she has never growled at anyone in all the years they have had her, about 2 years ago one of her sons moved in with his girlfriend because she fell pregnant and they had a lovely baby boy, about 6 months ago when he was 18 months old he went to get something out of the bin in the living room while the dog was sniffing about in there and she bit him leaving a nasty bruise on his arm that covered about 50% of it, she had allways been protective of him since birth and they have played together, it just goes to prove that no matter how docile and harmless you think your pet is at the end of the day they are animals with animal instincts and no child should be left on their own with them, he has since made a full recovery and they now have their own place (pet free);)