PDA

View Full Version : HOME Needed! Dogs Homes in the south of Tenerife

vickyw28
21-11-2012, 21:42
Please can anybody let me know of any dogs homes in the south of tenerife. we need to give our dog away. he is 3 months old, we have had him since he was 3 weeks old but he is a complete handful. we have tried everything. we have 2 children and they are getting frightened of him. he isnt viciuos in the slightest he is just very very playful and hyper.

vickyw28
21-11-2012, 21:47
Please can anybody let me know of any dogs homes in the south of tenerife. we need to give our dog away. he is 3 months old, we have had him since he was 3 weeks old but he is a complete handful. we have tried everything. we have 2 children and they are getting frightened of him. he isnt viciuos in the slightest he is just very very playful and hyper.

xSOLx
22-11-2012, 00:31
Wow... Erm sounds like he needs to go for a good run! Exercise on a daily basis, then give him some rules and boundaries that should do the trick!
He's only 3 months old, he's only a puppy, and this is normal puppy behaviour worse if his needs are not being met... Some people are so very irresponsible and get dogs for all the wrong reasons just because they are cute, they are NOT TOYS, now you just want to go and dump him and let the overcrowded refugios take all the responsibility as if they haven't got enough to deal with because you are selfish and can't be bothered to train him an be a responsible owner.

timmylish
22-11-2012, 03:11
I am singularly shocked that you have not come in for some serious abuse with your self-centred actions. tbh I just don,t have the mental strength to give you a roasting to-night.
3 months old. The wee thing is taking in so much information that he is not hyper, he,s young. Are you one of these parents who just park their kids up against the tv all day and night 'cause otherwise, even an idiot could see the similarities between a 2 year old kid and this pup.
The refuges are over-filled so get your finger out and find a loving home for this wee boy asap (I mean the dog btw!).

candy2411
22-11-2012, 08:20
Might find it easier to keep the puppy and give the kids away!!

( sorry just kidding!):lol:

Ecky Thump
22-11-2012, 09:10
Two posts by people who most likely do not even know the poster, yet have condemned her, we don't know her circumstances, she has stated her case that her children are scared of the dog and in her opinion the dog is hyperactive.

Lets applaud her for accepting that she cannot handle the dog and is putting the children first, or maybe people would like to see her simply abandon the dog at the roadside.....or even have the children put down!!:mad:

The Tenerife Forum....a place where some people think that that they can say what ever they think about people, because they feel safe in the knowledge that they won't have to meet them, a nice friendly community..NOT!!

Medman
22-11-2012, 09:56
Two posts by people who most likely do not even know the poster, yet have condemned her, we don't know her circumstances, she has stated her case that her children are scared of the dog and in her opinion the dog is hyperactive.

Lets applaud her for accepting that she cannot handle the dog and is putting the children first, or maybe people would like to see her simply abandon the dog at the roadside.....or even have the children put down!!:mad:

The Tenerife Forum....a place where some people think that that they can say what ever they think about people, because they feel safe in the knowledge that they won't have to meet them, a nice friendly community..NOT!!

Especially after the recent incident in Shropshire.

Tom & Sharon
22-11-2012, 10:12
Vicky you haven't said what kind of dog it is. If it's a Heinz 57 what size is it likely to be?

What were you doing taking a 3 week old pup? He was far too young to leave his mother. No wonder he's hyper!

Graceylacey
22-11-2012, 13:31
Add a photo to the Adopt an Animal group on facebook, but please put lots of details, what sort of dog, size he or she is likely to be, etc etc. I have currently two 12 week old puppies that I am fostering and they are of course hyper as that is their age, but they are now needing to be taken out on walks and trained.

Have you considered getting a professional trainer to help you, or is it just simply the end of the road for you and the puppy?

timmylish
22-11-2012, 16:15
So I am wrong for drawing attention the obvious fact that no research was done in bringing a puppy into this household. It matters not her circumstances because she is a maker of her own. The pup would have been 6 to 8 weeks when she got it and therefor a maximum of 6 weeks with the family or more likely 4. Was no thought given to introducing a dog to the children in the first place? There are so many lost chances here to have done something other than want to get rid off. So the situation is that there is an unwanted dog, 2 children apparently afraid of this dog (? whit) and on that presumption all dogs now. Not a very healthy, balanced start to all of their lives.
As for the horrific death of a week old baby well the stupidity of that family is unbelievable. Smelly nappies taking up the area previously occupied by this dog as his territory!

Ecky Thump
22-11-2012, 17:15
As for the horrific death of a week old baby well the stupidity of that family is unbelievable. Smelly nappies taking up the area previously occupied by this dog as his territory!

A cold, hurtful and callus remark that holds no compassion for a family who, just two days ago lost a week old baby!

Carol55
22-11-2012, 18:50
My thoughts are for the Wee Baby who tragically died and the family who are grieving their great loss.

At the moment all that Mercia police are saying is that the baby died after a single bite from the dog, there has been no mention of the baby being left unattended, any thing else said is speculation.

Dandy Don
22-11-2012, 20:57
There has been some poor choices of words in this thread but the OP clearly did little or no research, has taken no responsibility and has thrown in the towel....... sounds much like todays society. :old:

karinagal
22-11-2012, 23:34
I think it should be noted that the OP states that she has had the pup since it was 3 weeks old.. Now this looks to me that she has had to raise the pup since before it should have left its mum, that makes me think that she took the pup in with the very best of intentions and probably as the only hope the poor wee thing had of survival.

Given the strength of the negative responses that she has had, I'm not surprised that she has not replied to the charges of ignorance and stupidity that have been made against her. I'm well aware of the situation regarding neglected and abandoned dogs on the island. I share the view that people need to be more responsible in deciding to have a pet and need to be held accountable if they fail the duties that come with ownership. Given that the OP has children and that these children are now scared of the dog, I think she is doing the responsible thing for her family in trying to get the pup rehomed. It takes a lot of time and effort to train a dog and if she is not confident that she has the time or expertise to complete this task, the pup is still young enough that someone else could take this job on.

So please can we hold back on the judgement and offer constructive advice?

helhod
23-11-2012, 08:59
The dogs homes are over flowing due to people giving there beloved pets away .maybe you need to give it more time you have had puppy since he was 3 weeks old and at 3 months he is still very much a puppy and very playful ,Be a shame to see another dog homeless

Medman
23-11-2012, 09:44
I know nothing about dogs; never had one; never will; so can't comment on age, behaviour, training etc.

But this does seem like a lot of things in life; you don't know if you like it or are good at anything until you try it. Unfortunately in this case the OP has owned up and said a dog is not for her and is now trying to do what she sees is best for the dog. IMO.

kiwiphil
23-11-2012, 11:55
I know nothing about dogs; never had one; never will; so can't comment on age, behaviour, training etc.

But this does seem like a lot of things in life; you don't know if you like it or at good at anything until you try it. Unfortunately in this case the OP has owned up and said a dog is not for her and is now trying to do what she sees is best for the dog. IMO.

I agree totally. So if I have a 6 month old kid and decide its not for me, where is the nearest re-homing center?

The real difference here is that some people think through things, others don't.

If the question had been posed as "I am really struggling with this puppy, can someone give advice on training as if I can't cure it of its bad ways we will have to rehome it" then we'd have seen entirely different responses. There are lots of training tips that could easily transform a handful of a puppy into a great family dog.

But as stated by others, if at first you don't succeed, give up and try something else.

Ecky Thump
23-11-2012, 13:00
Please can anybody let me know of any dogs homes in the south of Tenerife. we need to give our dog away. he is 3 months old, we have had him since he was 3 weeks old but he is a complete handful. we have tried everything. we have 2 children and they are getting frightened of him. he isn't vicious in the slightest he is just very very playful and hyper.

There has been some poor choices of words in this thread but the OP clearly did little or no research, has taken no responsibility and has thrown in the towel....... sounds much like todays society. :old:

I can understand what you have said about poor choices of words, but if you reread her post, you will see she has tried to handle the dog "we have tried everything" and has not simply "thrown in the towel", she has obviously come to the end of her tether and wants to re-home the dog, why the need to lambaste this poster is something that I can't understand.

blueeyes
23-11-2012, 14:56
i feel so sorry for you having a dilemma with kids and puppy!! i really do hope that you find a loving home for her/him, but it is true with what other posters are saying, the little puppy needs to bounce around and investigate. I have had german shepherds in the past and they were from puppies and were very boisterous but then you go through the teething stage also where they chew everything. I would be inclined to say stick with him and give him the walks and play that he really needs and somehow work round your children, as you might regret giving him away and have to deal with the guilt at a later stage, but only you knows your situation, and really people should not be unnecessarily unkind.