PDA

View Full Version : Heatwave sparks bonfire fears

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 01:06
Canary Islands - 21.06.2011 -

The sweltering weather that has marked the official beginning of summer in the Canaries has triggered concern at the prospect of fires on San Juan Night (23 June) getting out of control and causing major blazes.

The tinderbox conditions created by the current hot weather may force a rethink of the locations of the bonfires celebrating the shortest night of the year and the accompanying fireworks which are a tradition in some towns.

Fire brigades fear that sparks and burning embers could be carried by the wind to adjacent scrubland and woods, setting off dangerous fires. No decision has been taken yet whether to restrict the number of bonfires or ban them altogether in at-risk areas as a precautionary measure.

UPDATE

Canary Islands - 21.06.2011 -

The Met Office warns that parts of the Canaries can expect the hottest day of the year so far on Tuesday, with temperatures topping the 40ēC mark in the eastern islands.

source (http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/33294/daily-news-article.html)

Andy0210
21-06-2011, 01:13
Nice bring it on, how ironic that the two hottest days of the year forecast so far i have two full house removals booked in. :doh:

If anyone sees a sweaty bloke on the end of a sofa in the next day or so please stick an ice lolly in his mouth... :chillpill:

slodgedad
21-06-2011, 01:17
Nice bring it on, how ironic that the two hottest days of the year forecast so far i have two full house removals booked in. :doh:

If anyone sees a sweaty bloke on the end of a sofa in the next day or so please stick an ice lolly in his mouth... :chillpill:

Hope I'm at the other end...:hungry:

Andy0210
21-06-2011, 01:51
Hope I'm at the other end...:hungry:

Thats next week mate! Next Tuesday not this Tuesday ;)

Unless anything comes up in the meantime :)

DJ Dangerous
22-06-2011, 11:03
Is there something burning in the Faņabe area?

Horrific smell like a forest fire or something, and the motorway looks smoky.

MummyJ
26-06-2011, 10:34
when we landed back here on thursday you could see smoke for miles when w were landing - didnt look good at all

poker
26-06-2011, 11:23
when we landed back here on thursday you could see smoke for miles when w were landing - didnt look good at all

Notche de San Juan :-) .
They have bonfires all over the islands on this night .

Sent using Tapatalk.